PDA

View Full Version : How long does hair have to be to be weird?

Knittycat
June 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
How long does hair have to be before it gets weird to have hair that long?
I live in Texas and I see lots of girls and women with bsl to waist length hair. Shorter hair is the norm, but people don't start making comments until it reaches hip or longer.
Does there seem to be maximum 'normal' length where you're from? Is the waist line pretty universal as the longest 'normal' hair?

kyandii
June 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Same here pretty much BSL - waist is common.

beccababesx
June 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Where I live you rarely see any longer than BSL, and I've only seen hip once and tailbone once in my life - never any longer. I wonder why..

HairFaerie
June 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
To me, personally, anything past ankle would be "weird" to me if worn down. If it is worn up, it wouldn't matter because the length wouldn't be apparent. But walking around with hair touching the ground seems a bit odd to me. I personally wouldn't have past ankle length and if it was past that, I probably wouldn't wear it down. I like wearing it down so I probably would never grow it that long.

(Please note: I am not being judgmental. If someone wants floor length hair and wears it down....more power to them. I am just saying that I would prefer not to do that. It's just my opinion.)

Roseate
June 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Depends on the ethnic community around here. Waist is the longest "standard" for Caucasians, but I frequently see Latinas with hip-TB, and Indian women with classic-knee.

Kathie
June 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I've seen a few waist lengths around here- but like you say anything longer is more eye catching and out of the norm. After being a member of LHC for a while now I would never think that someones hair was too long or weird- but after waist I think its much more eye catching.

Jeni
June 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Id say around here waist/hip would be considered LONG but not abnormally so. Classic would probably start getting you looks but still not labeled "weird". When you start heading to thigh/knee/beyond (and wear it down) you are going to be labeled as an odd duck...unless you are East Asian.

KittyLost
June 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
APL-BSL is long here, BSL is rare it is mainly APL considered long. So this would be "normal".

There is a few random women with hip and I've seen two male uni students with tailbone. So anything past APL really would be considered weird or extensions by the majority population of my town.

Knittycat
June 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I saw a lot more hip and classic length growing up in northern Utah. Even there though, classic was unusual, and longer than that got stares.
I always wanted long hair, I was just never patient enough to grow it.

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I've thought about this before and came to the conclusion the waist is definitely the cut-off. BSL is typical long, waist is still common enough to be within the "normal" range of long. But once you get past that, to hip and such, it's much more rare and you start getting more extreme responses from people.

To me there are certain purely proportional/physical phenomenon that are a factor as well--such as sitting on one's hair, or having hair actually rest on your lap--that are just strange to people. I know I personally was a little weirded out the first time I realized my hair was not just barely grazing, but actually beginning to pile in my lap.

ReadHeadGirl
June 5th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Knee length probably

battles
June 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I don't see many people with hair past BSL. A few waist length, but it isn't common.

luthein
June 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Where I live, mid-back is considered long. Past that, you'll hear the phrase, "your hair should frame your face, not your butt." :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to extreme hair because of the responses.

slz
June 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
People make me feel like I'm a weirdo since, I'd say knee. Before it was "wow ! long !". Now they don't even dare say something most of the time - like I'm going to bite or what ???

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Well I tend not to think of long hair as "weird" really... but I think where I live, a lot of people would consider Classic+ to be at least a little odd ;). I guess I base this on the fact that it's not uncommon to see waist length here, and there are people with hair longer than waist too. I don't see many that would be Classic, and ones that are Classic or longer would definitely stand out.

However, I don't like using the term "weird" to describe it ;) I'd rather say "unusual"!

Knittycat
June 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's weird, but I've heard other people call long hair weird. Not my opinion! I love long hair!!

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I think unusual would be a better word but I get what your saying. where I live bsl seems the average long length, though I am seeing quite a few 40 years plus ladies and a couple of men with hip and longer hair. The longest hair i ever did see in real life was when i was a little girl, there was a woman in my village who wore 2 braids which reached her knees, come to think of it I think it was her who put it in my head as a 4 year old that I wanted that hair!

allnight avenue
June 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
"Weird" is a strong word....I think anything after hip does start to look "extreme." Something about having more than 50% of your height being hidden by hair? But I think long hair can only look "weird" if it's not taken care of....then it seems pointless.

Nastasia
June 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Here in Boston I see plenty of waist and hip-length hair. Past that would be a bit odd, I guess. Maybe it's just that I hang out with a lot of geeks and hippies, so I see plenty of long hair. Personally, I love being a bit odd. :D

Zesty
June 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Here, I'd say longer than waist is uncommon, and hip and beyond is "weird," or quite unusual and comment-worthy. Past tailbone and you really stand out. I think it's basically if most of your torso is covered with hair, then it's considered unusually long. Classic and beyond is very very rare.

katsrevenge
June 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Here hair seems to be on the shorter side in general. My hair is 'long' even though it isn't that long.

Here on whites it is around BSL or shorter. The Indian ladies have it the longest, around classic, but even then they are not the norm; it's the older ladies with the longest hair. There are a few black ladies with long natural dreads/braids too... but mostly they have short hair too.

Not too many men of any stripe with longer hair here.

All this being said, I did work with a lady who had long thick hair to her ankles and there is another older lady around with a braid she has to move to sit down. So it is out there, but rare.

maborosi
June 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I think anything past waist is kind of 'unusual', not really 'weird', in a negative way. I just don't see a lot of hip-length hair or longer where I am. I've seen it a few times on older ladies, but I can probably recall every time where I've seen it hip-length or longer.

~maborosi~

rapunzhell13
June 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Around here I would say beyond waist will start getting looks. Beyond classic will most definitely draw attention, unless it's in an updo and you can't really tell how long it is.

Aveyronnaise
June 6th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Depends on the ethnic community around here. Waist is the longest "standard" for Caucasians, but I frequently see Latinas with hip-TB, and Indian women with classic-knee.

Yup this , I wore my hair short for years to rebel against my Latino family.<eyeroll> Anyhow yeah it can be cultural my little sister has been classic length since like - birth

ETA around here anything past waist is wow , long and it seems to be reserved for the really young.

Fethenwen
June 6th, 2011, 01:42 AM
APL and BSL length is the most common long hair length here. I rarely see any with waist length and beyond that is considered weird. Yes weird, not just uncommon or unusual. This is a small town and people do stare if they see something outside the norm.

Seeshami
June 6th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Past waist length always gets my attention. If it is well taken care of I'm impressed. If it isn't it makes me want to grab the scissors.

Tuntenut
June 6th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Where I live, waist length is not all that unusual. People would probably call anything past BSL really long, though.

I visited my grandmother in the other end of the country recently, and where she lives, 85% of women over 30 have the exact same pixie cut! I think a bob is considered long in that part of the woods.

|Xei
June 6th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I live in a place with a very large population of Asian people. There are many Indian people who have classic length, young East Asian women who have waist-length or close to waist-length hair, and older East Asian women who have BSL or longer hair. Asians aside, there are many women of other ethnics who have BSL-hip-length hair. So for someone's hair length to really be seen as weird, it'll probably have to be something like knee length, and worn down and loose.

Waist-length and beyond hair just isn't that weird here, and I would dare say that it's considered to be beautiful. Long hair is certainly very trendy here, and especially amongst young women, very few would actually have hair shorter than shoulder-length. If I were to call BSL hair long, there would definitely be someone who would reply with something like, "It's long-ish, but not THAT long."

vanity_acefake
June 6th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Anything longer than bsl is considered weird here. In my home town women seem to prefer bleached to death, short styles.

Nymph
June 6th, 2011, 02:55 AM
It depends a lot. The standard length for longer hair seems to be BSL, but I see a lot of girls with hip as well, usually immigrants or people from other countries that come to study here.
I'm at almost-classic and when the length is showing I mostly get compliments or hear people say "look at that beautiful braid", not so much bad reactions. Weird would probably be beyond that, so knee or further.

mrs_coffee
June 6th, 2011, 05:03 AM
You typically don't see any woman over 30 with hair longer than shoulder length around here. Go to the mall and you'll see plenty of teenage girls with BSL hair, a lot fewer with waist length, and it's not often you see anyone with hair longer than waist length. Indian women are the exception.

Squeak toy
June 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
around here in Philadelphia, Pa short is in. APL is long to most people but of course there are a few people with longer hair mostly Indian, Asian, or Lantio. I find myself looking at people with BSL hair and saying to myself that it is long in the sea of shorter hair, then I remember my hair is now classic length and I think I am the stand out weird one. I like being weird.

Calaelen
June 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Where I live, waist length is not uncommon, but still not the majority. Hip length is a rarity, but still seen. Anything longer than hip is considered WOW! here. As far as I know there are only three of us who fit that status... :) Myself, the guy with ankle length dreads, and a lady who used to be at knee, but she trimmed to classic recently.

Automne
June 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Where I live BSL is the average lenght, and it's not rare to see waist or hip length. Past TBL is unusual. I think I saw 2 people who had longer than hip length in my life.

dmarie63
June 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think the "normal" long hair length is APL to BSL. Just going out last night, I saw a lot of gals with that length and a couple guys too. Waist length or longer is rare, but I do see it time to time. A tutor at my school has ankle length hair, but you can't tell it's that long because she has it up all the time or if it is in a single braid, she hides it in her sweater hood. One of my professors was Indian and had between hip and classic length. And I've seen ladies with waist length hair or longer while out shopping.
So that's the norm where I live. :)

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Here, we get a lot of hippies with dreads down to the ground... so I'd say hair thats DRAGGING on the ground, or is almost ankle length is pretty weird... and kind of dirty...

Don't get me wrong- I love dreads, and have even considered getting dreads myself, since my hair won't behave and seems to want to dread itself (GRRRR), and I've many a time commented on how men with dreads are sexy :eyebrows:, but dreads on ground?? Dreads being kicked around at feet length??? No thank you.... :rolleyes:

LovingLongHair
June 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Well, I'm pentecostal, technically what you would call Holiness, anywho... Long hair is the norm where I am from. Past BSL is quite normal, waist is common. The longest hair that I've seen was ankle length curly hair (what would it have been if it was stretched?!) at a youth rally about 3 years ago. That got quite a few looks. Most of the people that I know wear their hair up (humidity makes it a battle to wear down!) so I am sure that there is some amazing long hair that I don't even know about. :)

Becky9679
June 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Where I live it seems that BSL is common and waist is not unusual but it's quite rare to see anyone with hair past their waist.

Firefly
June 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Where I am it's generally unusual to see hair past BSL, and very, very rarely on women over a certain age. Threre seems to be a kind of initiation into the secret Mom's Club or something... once you have children, you get the "mom 'do" (chin or above and layered). I'm sure lots of people think I'm trying to hold on to my youth. :rolleyes: Or that I'm a hippie (that one's okay, since I am ;)).

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Where I am it's generally unusual to see hair past BSL, and very, very rarely on women over a certain age. Threre seems to be a kind of initiation into the secret Mom's Club or something... once you have children, you get the "mom 'do" (chin or above and layered). I'm sure lots of people think I'm trying to hold on to my youth. :rolleyes: Or that I'm a hippie (that one's okay, since I am ;)).

Haha! Firefly, I plan to do the same when I have kids! Long hair forever! My husband's sister is 30, and has a two year old, and got the "mom cut"- I'm sure she'll think I'm weird :D

CrystalStar
June 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
'Round these parts in the UK you don't see much longer than APL.. With choppy layers of course! :p

One of my friends Mums has gorgeous TBL strawberry blonde hair which she always wears in a braid. Other than that everyone seems to prefer to keep it at a 'manageable' length. :p

thelittleredfox
June 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
'Round these parts in the UK you don't see much longer than APL.. With choppy layers of course! :p

One of my friends Mums has gorgeous TBL strawberry blonde hair which she always wears in a braid. Other than that everyone seems to prefer to keep it at a 'manageable' length. :p

I agree. I worked for years in a busy main library with thousands of customers, and I only EVER saw 2 women with hair longer than waist - one an older woman with grey hip-length hair, and a young blonde woman whose hair was knee-length.

Aside from myself and those two, I don't think I've ever seen TB hair or beyond. Short and choppy is common, and bsl for longer hair, sometimes up to waist, but nothing longer.

Up to waist length, I got nice comments about my hair. Now I get kids calling me 'rapunzel' which is cute but adults tend to view my hair as weird. They either don't comment or tell me I should get a few inches chopped off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63843788@N08/5805911622/in/photostream

racrane
June 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
In southeastern WI, most women consider anything longer than BSL long. When I had waist length hair a few years ago, everyone would coo over it and touch it. It didn't seem very long to me then or now. I do notice more Hispanics in Milwaukee that tend to have longer hair and it is not seen as odd as on a Caucasian.

Lilli
June 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I don't see many people with hair past BSL. A few waist length, but it isn't common.

This is how it is around here.

sugarpixie10988
June 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
BSL is usually the longest I see where I live, anything longer is pretty rare.

beez1717
June 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I've noticed that where I live, bsl seems to be the longest that most people seem to typically :( I guess that anything longer would be seen as weird.

What is weird to me? Id say either choosing to go bald as a guy or having a buzz cut as a female. lol! Does that make me a true longhair?

alwayssmiling
June 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM
My teenage daughter has waist length hair and she gets lots of "wows" when she wears it down, it makes her feel special to have long hair. There is only one other girl in her year who has longer hair. Shoulder length hair seems to be the fashion with young girls by us, but ironically the boys seem to be sporting APL. Thankfully my DD is really proud of her hair and has no intention of cutting it due to peer pressure. She will be a great member here when she is a bit older.

eri401
June 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
BSL seems to be the most common length for "long" hair and everything else seems unusual.

Reading everyone's posts, I wonder....why is it that white women are less likely to grow their hair past BSL than Latina or Asian women? I understand that black women have delicate hair and are pressured to style it in a way that is not conducive to length, but why not white women? Sorry if I'm wording this offensively - it was just something that stood out in the comments here.

flourish
June 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Where I am it seems the most common "long" length is BSL, with some outliers at waist length. Personally I think ankle length is unusual---it'd be so impractical, I can't even imagine dealing with it everyday.

It annoys me though when I see girls here who have BSL length hair going on and on about how long it is. Uh, no, it's not really that long....

invisiblebabe
June 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
BSL seems to be the most common length for "long" hair and everything else seems unusual.

Reading everyone's posts, I wonder....why is it that white women are less likely to grow their hair past BSL than Latina or Asian women? I understand that black women have delicate hair and are pressured to style it in a way that is not conducive to length, but why not white women? Sorry if I'm wording this offensively - it was just something that stood out in the comments here.

I don't think your question is offensive :)

I am white, and I have fine hair (but a lot of it). A lot of white people (especially those who are blonde and/or with eastern European ancestry) have fine hair, which may make it require more delicate care if and when it gets past BSL, if it is to still look nice.

A lot of the Hispanics and Indian women I have seen have coarse, thick hair, which is probably easier to grow long, take care of long, and keep a thicker hemline.

I have not seen a lot of Asian women with waist length hair or longer.

kidari
June 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I know a girl who has hair that is cut in a V shape past her bottom, I don't know what length that is called. I kind of love it, but she gets some catty comments from other women from time to time about how it's too long.

Merewen
June 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Where I am now, you'd probably have to be past classic length to be considered over the top.

QueenJoey
June 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Apl-waist is considered pretty "standard" long where I'm from. Hip starts getting second glances, and tailbone+ is very rare so that's probably what would be considered "not normal." even though I think it's beautiful...if it's taken care of. Most people with long hair IRL have it very stringy looking. Only here is very long hair also healthy and pretty.

Tressie
June 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Most of the people I see are BSL or shorter. I suppose they think longer than that is weird. It's a matter of opinion really. As for me, I say: "bring on the weird"! (o:

ericthegreat
June 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I really dislike the word weird. I'm going to assume that the OP is a very young person who isn't aware that certain words are insensitive. I have hair that is considered exceptionally long, and there are many LHC members who have achieved even longer lengths than mine. It certainly isn't nice to refer to me or them with the word weird at all. I know its too late to change the thread title, but a more appropriate title in my opinion is "What length is considered exceptionally long?" or Which lengths are less common?".

dazeydayze
June 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
A boy once told me tailbone length is too long and waist is perfect

QueenJoey
June 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I really dislike the word weird. I'm going to assume that the OP is a very young person who isn't aware that certain words are insensitive. I have hair that is considered exceptionally long, and there are many LHC members who have achieved even longer lengths than mine. It certainly isn't nice to refer to me or them with the word weird at all. I know its too late to change the thread title, but a more appropriate title in my opinion is "What length is considered exceptionally long?" or Which lengths are less common?".

I don't think the OP was trying to be rude or insensitive. I think what they meant was: what is considered weird according to all those crazies IRL who don't understand the beauty of long hair.

elbow chic
June 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I think for white people, at any rate, there are some strong and somewhat negative stereotypes attached to long hair. It can read as either fundie or hippie, and most mainstream people don't like to be associated with either of those subgroups.

(I'll admit that when I see a white woman with long one-length hair and a skirt, I will automatically assume she's Pentecostal. If I see several of them together I'd put serious money on it. :laugh:)

Plus, among some groups of white people, even BSL hair is viewed as the province of women under the age of 25... it's seen as somewhat childish and unserious.

Mind you I think all those things are kind of dumb, (there is nothing inherently bad about either hippies or fundies, ime.)

but I get where they come from. Long hair CAN be a way of signaling that you are not a conformist, in more ways than just hair.

RitaCeleste
June 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Well, to stop traffic here, I think it would have to be below classic. Hip is fairly common as some people's religion discourages short hair. You either have BSL or above or you are are really growing long hair and its well below waist if it will get there. Maybe people reach their goal of waist and chop, or just keep going? Actual just to the waist hair is what I see less often, it is almost always some other length!

Princess89
June 20th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I'm the same as most people. APL to BSL is what I see commonly on teenagers to young adults and then it's usually a shoulder length bob to pixie on the older ladies. I live where all the politicians gather so I think it's more a professional thing (not that really long hair is unprofessional but I think LHCer views are different to everybody else when it comes to hair). I want to be in the "Woah! Where'd all that hair come from"group because what's better than having something noone else has :D

DARKMARTIAN
June 20th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I'd say, at least longer then the persons hair that is calling you weird.......

IanB
June 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Trouble is for many of us guys, any hair beyond collar length is often seen by others as being weird

Eolan
June 20th, 2011, 03:26 AM
The most common lenght on women in my area is between SL and APL. (Some maybe get to BSL.) The longest hairs I've seen IRL here have been classic, and I haven't seen many of them.

But now that I am hair obsessive I notice that there are some girls with a little longer hair, say in the waist-hip range. That makes me happy! :D

I'd say anything longer than BSL is generally concidered VERY VERY LONG, but when people start thinking it's weirdly long depends on each person.

Sweet Beat
June 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hm... Maybe somewhere between BSL and waist?

MonaMayfair
June 20th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I'm from London - almost nothing is seen as weird here!

But if I saw hair any longer than tail bone length, I'd think it was unusual. Mine was that length until I was 17 when I chopped it all off.

I'm not aiming for any longer than waist length this time, and I see quite a few people (male and female) with hair about that long.

PianoPlaye
June 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I'd say waist was long, and past that might be seen as "weird" by a few. Mostly since the several-generations-back-immigrant community members I see wear their hair both up & headscarfed, which I both respect & speculate about. I've seen a braid peeking out from under a long headsquare at below hip though.

It hadn't occured to me that if I were to both wear my hair down & wear a skirt simultaneously that people would speculate on my faith! (Weird goes several directions.)

And for guys with long hair? If properly looked after, I may grin & thubs up. They'll get enough "weird" from most others...

Tressie
June 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'd say, at least longer then the persons hair that is calling you weird.......

THIS!!!! :D

hyettf16
June 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I am in high school so I don't know what would be considered weird but a lot of girls in my school probably on average have APL. I have waist-ish length. I only get compliments but no one has ever said that it's weird. Not to my face, at least. There are three or four girls that I know of who have hair longer than mine and at least half of them are Indian. No offense but I think their hair is just perfect! Plus a lot of Hispanic girls have beautiful, shiny hair that would look amazing if they grew it long. I want it!!! :sad

Djinmonet
June 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Where I grew up, hair longer than just brushing your shoulders, was considered "hippy" un-professional" and "weird". You could some what get away with it, if you looked a bit ethnic, and were younger then 18 years. I mostly received favorable comments on my hair growing up, but it is dark in color, and I tan easily. After 16, it was mostly up, so no one really was aware of it.

Once in high school I had a friend who stopped cutting her hair off, and it reached waist for a few months. My friend was constantly being told to cut it, how it looks so messy (I didn't think so), and that it was just "too long". She was permanently pale, with light brown hair that faded out to a shimmery honey blond at the ends. What made me mad, was the same people would say how nice mine was, and wow isn't it pretty. :crazyq:

I met a number of people, male and female, with longer hair, while in my twenties, after dating a fellow who was interested in assorted re-enactment outings or activities set in the past. (Trapper, medival, and renaissance gatherings.) Didn't met any males, at the time, or after moving up here, with longer than mid-back hair.

Until I met my fiance, who has waist length hair. :inlove: No, I did not chose him for his hair length. :p He is from a larger city in England, and tells me he gets almost universally unfavorable comments about his hair length.

In this small town, hair is only longer than shoulder length on females, no males, and seems to have few women with anything in between the range of very short, to waist. About 50% of the women, and young girls are short haired, the rest are waist and longer. Maybe 1% at mid-back. However, we do have a number of religious groups (Mennonite, Pentecostal, Holiness, Messianic Jews, etc.) that don't seem to be as common in larger towns.

Some of them require women not to cut their hair, and some just have a social structure encouraging long hair under a head covering. Obviously, you don't see a Mennonite with her hair down, but Messianic Jews wear it lose sometimes under the head covering, and it can fall vastly farther then the covering reaches.
When these group make friends outside their religious organization, it seems to influence a long hair/long skirts, style change, or at least modest dress. I would guess at some point there are mid-back lengths, from a woman newly friends with a long haired religious woman, who decided to grow hers as well, but so far I haven't seen many in "transition".

pinknika
June 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
The question is, weird to who? Some people think its weird to have it to waist, others passed the knees, it really depends on preference. I think if you are happy with your hair a mile long, then awesome. Although it might be "weird" to some people, the only person who should really matter is yourself. All lengths welcome :D

MaryRose
June 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I have lived in three different states. In Florida I had BSL hair and was pointed out has having really long hair. So anything BSL or longer was unusual. In South Texas, hip length and classic was the norm, a lot of Mexicans had hair this length. Here in Virginia, waist length is considered unusual.

Becky9679
June 21st, 2011, 06:03 AM
This length :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaajLC4CWk

Utterly amazing but upkeep would be a bit too much for most of us to handle I think!

abritta3
June 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM
When I lived at university BSL was more "normal" with ASL was definitely common. Waist length or longer was more unique.

As a curly girl the longest my hair has ever grown was waist length. If I blew it out, it would touch the top of my pants and everyone oo-ed and ah-ed then cooing about how "long" my hair was.

So yeah, I think our culture is definitely more accustomed to medium length hair. After all, my nearly BSL hair is considered "long" in hair salons and I get charged more...hahaha;)

mariakatija
November 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I live in New York City so really not much is considered weird. The longest I've seen in real life is knee length. I would say past BSL is rare, while past hip is extremely rare. Classic is almost unheard of. The younger a woman/girl is, however, the longer her hair tends to be. I am 19 and most of my female friends (18-20) have Shoulder to BSL length hair. Many of them cut it to shoulder when it hits waist length. Several of my friends did this the past year. I actually think I have the longest hair (past Hip).

Tosca
November 29th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Where I live (North Coast NSW, Australia), there is a distinct social separation between the hippies and the white middle class. The hippy women often have BSL hair with braid waves, but I have seen both men and women with past knee length dreads (in their case, they were gross and unmaintained. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend of white people with hair unsuited to dreads getting them and then not maintaning them).

The middle class women seem to favour shoulder to APL hair, that has been dyed (lightened, darkened etc).

I can only think of three people including myself that have long hair that isn't dreaded; me, at almost BCL, an Indonesian girl (about 17 years old) with classic length hair, and a teacher at my old school with hip length hair.

MadPirateBippy
November 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I only thing hair gets weird if it starts doing party tricks. I mean, knee length is one thing, but if it juggles? That's something else entirely.

Aurum
November 29th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I only thing hair gets weird if it starts doing party tricks. I mean, knee length is one thing, but if it juggles? That's something else entirely.

I would like this so hard if LHC had a like button. :rolling:

To the public, there definitely is a "norm" for hair. I'll just make a list of what doesn't fall in that category, and we'll see what happens.

Non-mainstream hair is any hair that:
- is colored a non-natural shade
- is worn in a bun or braid every day (even better: with a hair toy :cool:)
- is covered for any religious purpose
- men: is longer than chin length
- women: is shorter than a pixie
- women: is located anywhere but on the head
- anyone: is longer than waist length
- isn't washed (*cough* scrubbed roughly) daily with traditional shampoo and conditioner
- isn't dyed, highlighted, straightened, blowfried, razored, or layered in some way

The list goes on and on, and it's pretty obvious that all of us at LHC break one or another of these conditions. Here, we celebrate diversity, not hide from it! :couch:

Bananfot
November 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I Norway, what i have noticed that the regular hair length is sholder to APL. And the girls that have longer hair is girls in the high school ages, because they don`t have the money for hair extantions. Because in Norway if you have longer hair then APL they usaly have extantions, usaly clip in that damages their hair so they have to cut it short.

I think that waist length is very anusual to see. It is actualy are most usual metal people that have natural long hair that are waist length or longer (I think...?)
And Natural hair color was wired for maybe 2 years a go until the ombre style became fashion. Mostly people have/had colord hair, blonde, dark brown and bright red was common. Now natural hair color is more popular.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Any length which is longer than the hair of the person calling it weird.

maybeinthemtns
November 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Up to waist is common around here. Very short (pixie-ish) is very uncommon. Not many people overall grow their hair past waist-length, but there are quite a few Native Americans who have very long hair, as well as women from religious communities who grow their hair quite long. (It's always tied up, but you can still tell it is a lot of hair.) I would say BSL is the average length.

Elizabeth E
May 16th, 2018, 06:24 AM
I would like this so hard if LHC had a like button. :rolling:

To the public, there definitely is a "norm" for hair. I'll just make a list of what doesn't fall in that category, and we'll see what happens.

Non-mainstream hair is any hair that:
- is colored a non-natural shade
- is worn in a bun or braid every day (even better: with a hair toy :cool:)
- is covered for any religious purpose
- men: is longer than chin length
- women: is shorter than a pixie
- women: is located anywhere but on the head
- anyone: is longer than waist length
- isn't washed (*cough* scrubbed roughly) daily with traditional shampoo and conditioner
- isn't dyed, highlighted, straightened, blowfried, razored, or layered in some way

The list goes on and on, and it's pretty obvious that all of us at LHC break one or another of these conditions. Here, we celebrate diversity, not hide from it! :couch:

This. I agree so much with every point you made, Aurum! Around here, the 'longer lengths' are usually between WL and HL. Very occasionally, you might see TBL. But I think that CL and anything longer is really enough to be seen as weird.