PDA

View Full Version : Help with crazy hair idea!

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 06:19 AM
At the moment I have this horrible grown out alternative pixie [ I began with Emma Watson pixie ] which has become a curly/wavy Beatles hairstyle. My hair is very thick and I love that it's curly again after some dye mistakes..

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSORDOq6eeCB3xloixitfjuuWn5w1xym tn5v2qDQ5xx_ra-QBwS
It's like this no...Hi Ringo Starr *sigh*

That's why I hate that I have this idea of bleaching my hair, I think it will look so amazing but it can also turn out really..horrible, dry and frizzy.

It's finaly healthy now that why I had to go back to the pixie, to get life back into my hair. I don't want to make a mistake again and grow out a pixie AGAIN.

My idea, 3 inches of my hair are henna'd and my own colour which is brown.
The top is purple-ish black with also henna in it and is still from a dye mistake. I want to bleach that out remove that colour to ver-ver-very blonde, platinum blonde. When it's that I want to use Manic Panic light blue to get is a Sea-foam colour.

I only want to do this in the back on my mullet and 3 inches of my bangs.

What are you experiences, is it worth the trouble, will it look good, yada yada I JUST REALLY NEED HELP AND NOT FROM A HAIRDRESSER WHO SIMPLY WANTS MONEY xD!

http://sp3.fotolog.com/photo/19/27/119/piinkxheartx/1293311356758_f.jpg This is btw the colour I want so baddddd

Chetanlaiho
June 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I don't have any solid advice but I am a big big fan of cool unnatural hair colours like this so I'm still having this debate with myself as well xD

If it's only a few parts of your hair (I assume you'll cut the mullet part out eventually? And bangs grow so fast anyway, if you plan on keeping them) then honestly I'd say go for it, hair is supposed to be fun :)

That picture is pure awesome by the way.

Aeltt
June 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Maybe try to remove the purple/black before bleaching with color oops or something like that.
I'm afraid you'll have to bleach several times since the color you want needs a very pale base and henna is difficult to remove, you might fry your hair. So it can't hurt to try something less damaging before ^^

Anyway, i love the idea, good luck :D

ETA : oh and try this (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/) forum, i'm not a member there but they look helpful

ifthemoonsmiled
June 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Haha. Ringo Starr. That's where my hair is right now, too.

I'd say don't bleach if it has ruined your hair before. I know most people here would still consider us short-hairs, but that pixie-to-moptop stage is killer! I'd say be nice to your hair, dye very carefully, and avoid going through that again.

That being said, that seafoam color makes me drool.

redheadlynn
June 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Maybe try to remove the purple/black before bleaching with color oops or something like that.
I'm afraid you'll have to bleach several times since the color you want needs a very pale base and henna is difficult to remove, you might fry your hair. So it can't hurt to try something less damaging before ^^

ETA : oh and try this (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/) forum, i'm not a member there but they look helpful

Having bleached out henna before, I also highly recommend color oops or something like it before bleach. Manic Panic lightens well, as does any "high lift" bleach. Drugstore box brands aren't worth your time. I have found that under 2 henna applications, bleach takes it out to pale yellow easy enough on my naturally dark blonde hair. Over 2, it only comes out to a strawberry-orangish color and I have to trim to remove it. I usually bleach only once with Manic Panic 30 or 40V to get this color. Any more just ruins my hair. I wish you luck!!! I too love the unnatural colors. I just can't do them or my ex would probably try to get my kids taken away from me. :rolleyes:

Have fun! :cheese:

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Haha. Ringo Starr. That's where my hair is right now, too.

I'd say don't bleach if it has ruined your hair before. I know most people here would still consider us short-hairs, but that pixie-to-moptop stage is killer! I'd say be nice to your hair, dye very carefully, and avoid going through that again.

That being said, that seafoam color makes me drool.

Bleach hasn't ruined my hair before, it was black dye actualy. The dye was so heavy that it made my curls go straight. I had to cut it out there was no way to fix it :p.

I have used bleach before, well my hairdresser bleached it for me and it wasn't damaged in no way or form but now it needs to be stripped first to get out the black colour..I'm pretty nervous :(

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I'm not going to try anything myself, no bleaching at home haha. I'll just let the hairdresser do so when I know what's a safe go and what's not. I was afraid so that henna was hard to remove..ouch.

Alvrodul
June 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Since you have henna on your hair, don't count on being able to bleach it out! If you try, you are likely to end up with orange-colored straw.
If you want a radical change of color, I recommend that you rather work out something that will work with the henna you have. The only certain way to get rid of henna is by :scissors: cutting :scissors: it off.

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Since you have henna on your hair, don't count on being able to bleach it out! If you try, you are likely to end up with orange-colored straw.
If you want a radical change of color, I recommend that you rather work out something that will work with the henna you have. The only certain way to get rid of henna is by :scissors: cutting :scissors: it off.

How come that it's a pain to bleach out henna ? Since it is possible to bleach out black ?

Aeltt
June 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think it's because henna binds to the protein instead of just sitting on top or penetrating the hair if i remember well

(but a friend of mine removed her henna with three bleaches- once every month- and is now pale yellow. I guess it it's not saturated you can try bleaching it out)

torrilin
June 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
How much of your liking for that picture is the color, and how much is the cut?

A podcaster I'm fond of tends to dye her hair unnatural colors like so (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcanty/5734997299/), and has a similar curl level to yours. The look is radically different from the cut you show, but she maintains a cute bob, so... (she's mentioned that she may be going to something other than pink, which is probably why there is so much root regrowth in that picture) Like a lot of folks who maintain radically unnatural colors, she does her dye at home. Many salons won't dye unnatural colors... some do, but it's definitely not something manageable at every salon. She's mentioned often that maintaining a cut that suits her curls is a lot more important to her than having the salon maintain her strange tastes in hair color.

I'd think long and hard about the look you want for yourself. With curly hair, your inspiration picture is pretty unrealistic. The color may be fantastic on you, but I'd hate for you to get the color you want and then find that you feel like you have to straighten your hair for it to look good.

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
How much of your liking for that picture is the color, and how much is the cut?

A podcaster I'm fond of tends to dye her hair unnatural colors like so (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcanty/5734997299/), and has a similar curl level to yours. The look is radically different from the cut you show, but she maintains a cute bob, so... (she's mentioned that she may be going to something other than pink, which is probably why there is so much root regrowth in that picture) Like a lot of folks who maintain radically unnatural colors, she does her dye at home. Many salons won't dye unnatural colors... some do, but it's definitely not something manageable at every salon. She's mentioned often that maintaining a cut that suits her curls is a lot more important to her than having the salon maintain her strange tastes in hair color.

I'd think long and hard about the look you want for yourself. With curly hair, your inspiration picture is pretty unrealistic. The color may be fantastic on you, but I'd hate for you to get the color you want and then find that you feel like you have to straighten your hair for it to look good.

It's not the girls's haircut I'm after it's simply a colour example. Cause I know I have curly hair and I won't touch a flat-iron for the world! It's simplt the colour I adore so much. I've had orange streaks before in my bangs and they left no damage at all.
As for her hair, yes it's pretty similair and it looks great which is a good sign!
I've actualy had that same colour for 2 month's in 2010 which was really nice cause you don't need to bleach to get to that colour.
As for the only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll do so much damage to those streaks I'll have to cut it again into the pixie cut.

torrilin
June 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
That's great!

I think if you can stand to grow out virgin enough to get the bob of your dreams, and *then* start on the process for your wild color job, it'll be easier to end up with a maintainable look. The more you know about how your natural color behaves, the easier it will be to choose the right level of bleach to get your desired look. And it can be tricky to find a stylist who is fantastic at cutting your natural curls, so that's a real priority.

The podcaster has been pink-haired since at least 2007. She rarely goes for hair longer than shoulder length while curly, and she tends to stick with a routine that's pretty much along the lines of Curly Girl or Naturally Curly. Worked fine for her in a fairly vanilla office job too.

Since it sounds like you adore wild hair color, I'd definitely take her on as a role model. Do it right, and you've got a lifetime of sea green hair ahead.

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Green hair would be awesome.
What I suggest:
- lighten your henna with sun in: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!! (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19317)
- lighten your henna with Blonder from John Frieda: Have you tried John Freida? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67640&highlight=john+frieda+blonder+henna)
- protect your hair from peroxide damage with an overnight coconut oiling and by using the peroxide on your still oiled hair: The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil)
- use Manic Panic to get the green you want

You can do this with minimal damage. I hope it all works out for you! :D

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Green hair would be awesome.
What I suggest:
- lighten your henna with sun in: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!! (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19317)
- lighten your henna with Blonder from John Frieda: Have you tried John Freida? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67640&highlight=john+frieda+blonder+henna)
- protect your hair from peroxide damage with an overnight coconut oiling and by using the peroxide on your still oiled hair: The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil)
- use Manic Panic to get the green you want

You can do this with minimal damage. I hope it all works out for you! :D

I was thinking about the John Frieda too, maybe it's worth the try. As for Sun-in..I live in the Netherlands and i can't order from the net so that'll be tricky to get, do you maybe know the ingredients ? Coconut oil= perfect, it's amazing what that oil can do! thanks for the tips !

ifthemoonsmiled
June 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I will say that I tried to bleach my henna a couple years back, and it came out light orange, not bleach blond, no matter how many times I redid it. I did, however, get in light enough to put a nice shade of blue Manic Panic over it & have it not go purple instead. So if you are going to be using the green over your bleach job, you don't necessarily have to worry so much about getting it to white-blond levels. Just light enough to not show up under the other color.

I will also say that I trashed my hair on the aforementioned bleach-then-blue project. I cut it all off soon after because it was never the same. But it sounds like you've had better luck with bleach than me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use sun-in over chemical dyes, as the above poster suggests. I don't have much info on this myself, but definitely be really really careful & read up on it if you try to go that route.

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I will say that I tried to bleach my henna a couple years back, and it came out light orange, not bleach blond, no matter how many times I redid it. I did, however, get in light enough to put a nice shade of blue Manic Panic over it & have it not go purple instead. So if you are going to be using the green over your bleach job, you don't necessarily have to worry so much about getting it to white-blond levels. Just light enough to not show up under the other color.

I will also say that I trashed my hair on the aforementioned bleach-then-blue project. I cut it all off soon after because it was never the same. But it sounds like you've had better luck with bleach than me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use sun-in over chemical dyes, as the above poster suggests. I don't have much info on this myself, but definitely be really really careful & read up on it if you try to go that route.

Well if I'm sure about bleaching I can always wait a while so it will turn lighter in the sun and from swimming in the sea. So I'm not too scared when I'm hearing about the orange, orange is a fine colour anyways :D
As about was it worth the dye and the cut a few years ago, were you happy that you did it or was it a lesson learned?
I'll always be carefull, haha, I've made enough mistakes and not waiting here to make another :p

Chetanlaiho
June 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Well if I'm sure about bleaching I can always wait a while so it will turn lighter in the sun and from swimming in the sea. So I'm not too scared when I'm hearing about the orange, orange is a fine colour anyways :D

Just have to say as a fellow Dutch person, you can definitely rock the orange when *any international sports event here* starts ;)

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I was thinking about the John Frieda too, maybe it's worth the try. As for Sun-in..I live in the Netherlands and i can't order from the net so that'll be tricky to get, do you maybe know the ingredients ? Coconut oil= perfect, it's amazing what that oil can do! thanks for the tips !

No problem, I'm glad I could help. :D

According to this (http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Hair-Lightener-Lemon-4-7/dp/B000AAAWEO) listing the ingredients for Sun-in are:
Ingredients
Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Lemon Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Matricaria), Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract (linseed), Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone, PEG 7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium 80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acid, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Just have to say as a fellow Dutch person, you can definitely rock the orange when *any international sports event here* starts ;)

Haha, done that before :D!

ifthemoonsmiled
June 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
As about was it worth the dye and the cut a few years ago, were you happy that you did it or was it a lesson learned?
I'll always be carefull, haha, I've made enough mistakes and not waiting here to make another :p

Well, my hair doesn't damage easily...I used to use a lot of chemical dyes on it without seeing any noticeable problems...but that level of bleach destroyed it. So I'd say it was lesson learned--I've never played with colors to that extreme again. I did LOVE how I looked with blue hair--I felt like a mermaid! I just didn't like how crunchy & Barbie-doll-like my hair felt.

Oh, swimming in the sea...I'm jealous of you there. I wish that was among my lightening possibilities this summer.

Avital88
June 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
i love that color!! i want a string of it too:D

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
i love that color!! i want a string of it too:D

I'd say why not, it's an amazing colour <3

Kumiko033
June 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I'm still not a 100% sure about this.
I have natural brown hair which had black dye over it from Nutritint [Natural dye]
and 100% pure henna so if I'd colour remove and bleach at the hairdresser there should be no problem in frying. I it turns orange it would also be no problem to me since there are enough options to go to blonde from that point.
I'm just wondering if my hair can take all the damage.