PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Noticed!

wolf girl
June 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have been working with a co-worker this week that I don't see very often because my normal partener is on vacation. Anyway, I have worn my hair up all week. Today, I have my hair up in a "scrunchie bun". On Fridays, I tend to dress down and for comfort. When my hair fell, he said, 'Woah, I didn't realize your hair had gotten so long. When is the last time you cut it?" I thought here we go.... But I politely told him that last time I cut it was Dec 05. His response was, " It really looks nice. You should let it get longer." :shocked: Really? No"you should donate it' or " doesn't ir get in the way?" I find that men seem to like it better than women. Women tend to speak of long hair negatively. (Jealously?:shrug:) Does any else notice this?

burns_erin
June 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I am betting some of it is jealousy. Maybe not so much because they can't grow it, but because they feel they can not or should not grow it long. i always kinda think that the reason for all the short hair on women is because they feel they have to try to be less feminine to fit into the business world.

Tap Dancer
June 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
That's great! I know a compliment like that really makes your day! :grin:

morgwn
June 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I always kinda think that the reason for all the short hair on women is because they feel they have to try to be less feminine to fit into the business world.

I'm so glad that that doesn't seem to be the case anywhere I've worked. I do wear my hair up every day however, so most places have never seen my actual hair length.

But yes, I have noticed that men seem to like long hair on women better. I can't put my finger onto an exact cause. :shrug:

burns_erin
June 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, that sort of thing is how I ended up with the vicious stacked bob the past few years. My professors sort of insisted on it. But now sweet, sweet graduation is looming can i can go back to my own hair, whcih I admittedly sometimes do chop off, but not like the bobs and at least it will be my choice.

Wolf Girl- I am very glad you had a good work hair experience. Also glad you obviously have not caved under pressure like I did.

Islandgrrl
June 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
What a nice compliment Wolf Girl! :happydance:

burns erin, what kind of professors do you have who have so much power that they can dictate your hair length/style?

Maravel
June 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think this may make me start wearing my hair up at work. I have a really big mirror behind my desk, and every time I walk by, I'm always half-turned to see if it's gotten any longer in the last five minutes :rolleyes:.

Luckily for me, my Operations Manager (who is basically my boss) has classic length hair that she wears up in a barette most days, so yay! At least I know she can't fault me for wanting to keep growing...:D

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
That is so nice! I have 2 people here that recently said they love me to wear my hair all the way down. That was a surprise. But generally here is pretty much the only place I get that. A lot of people buy into the "short hair is 'in' and long hair is old-fashioned" at least around this area. The friend that asked me the other day if I am growing to donate to LOL said she always resented her mother and was embarrassed because she had a very long braid and wrapped it around her head!!! I was like :rolleyes::confused::mad:

FrannyG
June 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
That's wonderful, Wolf Girl! There is nothing so nice as a compliment when you least expect it. :)

burns_erin
June 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The kind of professors who do have exceptionally short hair. The kind who tell you they do not give A's if you do everything that is required, you must do extra stuff that they do not ask for. The kind of professor who will tell you if you have any kind of outside interests besides graduate school, like families or jobs, you should not expect to do well in their classes or get through the program. The kind of professor who is the head of the department and can simply choose not to sign the paperwork allowing you to matriculate, due to a lovely thing called "academic freedom".

Most importanty though, as of the end of May, the kind of professor who is no longer here.

I probably could have bucked the system more, but with a program this small it was not worth the effort. So I have had "appropriate" hair and clothes, and in general tried to behave like a good little drone.

angelthadiva
June 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I have been working with a co-worker this week that I don't see very often because my normal partener is on vacation. Anyway, I have worn my hair up all week. Today, I have my hair up in a "scrunchie bun". On Fridays, I tend to dress down and for comfort. When my hair fell, he said, 'Woah, I didn't realize your hair had gotten so long. When is the last time you cut it?" I thought here we go.... But I politely told him that last time I cut it was Dec 05. His response was, " It really looks nice. You should let it get longer." :shocked: Really? No"you should donate it' or " doesn't ir get in the way?" I find that men seem to like it better than women. Women tend to speak of long hair negatively. (Jealously?:shrug:) Does any else notice this?

You know, what? I'm glad you posted this!!

I've noticed that men (and not the f*t!sh ones) really appreciate women with long hair--I can't think of one negative comment made to me about my hair from a man--Ever!

I don't get negative comments made by women; or anything I'd consider negative...I don't consider the donating ?? as being negative, I take it more as an ice-breaker, and people just don't know...

I do more elaborate styles on my hair and DD6 hair than I typically see around town, so that kind of surprises me, that people wouldn't comment on it. :shrug:

I do find women outside of LHC are a little more reluctant to give compliments on hair styles, but if I wear my hair down I will get compliments...

lora410
June 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Don't ya love when people notice? The boss saw me brushing my hair the other day and he said wow Lora your hair is getting long. I said well hip is my goal. His reply was it looks better on you :D so not everyone is out there to badger you to cut your hair :lol: