PDA

View Full Version : I need OPINIONS! Pretty please.

Joliebaby
June 5th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Okay so I've been thinking about my hair a LOT for a change. I've been growing out my natural color for almost a year. The roots are only 4-5", I used to grow really fast but I think the slow growth may be due to a hormonal imbalance that I have. I used to grow 0.75" ore thereabouts per month. Working on correcting the hormonal thing now, started my medication.

But on to the point. I hate having two toned hair, actually it's more like three toned, since I have layers and the top layers are lighter and bottom are darker.. The chemically treated parts are a bit darker and more red that my natural color. In some light it blends really well, in natural light the dyed parts get a copper glow.

I don't hate the reddish color at, I really like it, but I hate the two tones. I've been toying with different options.

a) Bite the bullet, and cut my hair to a very short bob with slight layers. The tips of the canopy would still have a little processed hair but only like 2" . I'd trim them off during the summer and by fall I'd have all natural, albeit very short hair.

b) get some highlights to blend the colors. She would leave most of my roots untouched as it's lighter anyway, but pull a few strategically placed highlights all the way to make everything blend better. I could keep growing my hair and hopefully not highlight or dye again, but the negative is that highlights would be damaging on my processed hair , and I'd have to touch my virgin roots a little too. Also if my hair got really dry I might end up cutting a lot anyway as I HATE dry crappy ends.

c) Long red hair is super awesome, and I used to think that when my hair is long I'd henna it. I've hennaed hair before and I loved it, it went so well with my aqua eyes and the fact that I wear blue a lot.

As much as I adore completely virgin hair, I feel like with my almost invisible brows and lashes and yellow toned skin color and pale aqua eyes, my natural dark blonde hair will make everything blend together too much. I don't wear much make-up, I mostly go bare faced, so I like my hair to stand out a bit more.

I am well aware that henna is permanent and if I get tired of it it will be really hard to get rid of. But I'm thinking more of a copper toned henna-cassia than really pure red... So it would be possible to lighten it to a copper blonde-golden shade and then put some highlight to blend, essentially not so much worse situation than where I am now.

I'm really torn between choices and what to do.
I almost feel like if I'm willing to cut my hair short anyway, it would be a perfect opportunity to try having the long red hair ONCE IN MY LIFE. I'd only be losing the 4-5" of natural colored roots, if I ended up not liking it..

I'm afraid I'll regret it, but on the other hand, I might LOVE it and want to keep it :)
I think my wavy thick hair would look really nice red :)

Here is my hair now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=103055&albumid=6270&dl=1305723111&thumb=1
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=102813
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=102954

This is when I had hennaed (much shorter) hair in 2004.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=104473
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=104474

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I'd go for henna, it looks great, it gives hair a boost and no damage like dye plus it looks amazing on you (:
I love the last picture.
Just think about it, ask around friends aswell IRL since they have the best lightning ofcourse. They also know you best so you won't be sorry in any way.

HairFaerie
June 5th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I think the henna would look GREAT on you! :)

MonaLisa
June 5th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I like your hair as it is now even, to be honest, i really don't see the problem. and i love your natural color. I'm sorry I can't help you much...

Why did you start growing your natural color? Perhaps the answer will make you reconsider coloring it again.
Yet people here say only the best about henna..

I wouldn't go for the cut, i promise your hair looks really nice :)

KittyLost
June 5th, 2011, 02:56 AM
It sounds to me that length isn't too much of an issue for you, just your colour and hair health. So if you wanted to cut I'd go for it instead of potentially damaging more dyed colour. Also growing out colour and going natural can be good but you appear to prefer your hair henne'd and it does look good! At the end of the day you should be happy with your hair and if you prefer it henna to natural then go for it.

When in doubt 2week rule!

pixiestar
June 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Don't cut it, you have beautiful hair:D
How about a henna gloss or henna/cassia gloss. This is what I've been doing. They are permanent, but I do get fading and re do every 2 to 3 weeks.

Safira
June 5th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Your natural colour is beautiful! I do think that you should grow your natural haircolour, but I donīt like you cutting your hair. Maybe after two/three months an inch or two and so on and so on. That way you donīt have to give up the lenght.

Or do you have something what removes the colour away?

Avital88
June 5th, 2011, 03:13 AM
No cutting and no bleach.. Henna would be the best option ,your hair will look amazingly shiny and even thicker

Lilli
June 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Henna and don't cut. Anyway, your hair looks fine now. Why not table it all for a few weeks, and do something instead of think about your hair? Usually quells any urges for change.

vrle
June 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I think you look stunning in the last two pictures! I would opt for the henna!

Scarlet_Heart
June 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I vote for the henna only because you sounded the most optimistic about that one.

metricfuture
June 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Don't cut it, you have beautiful hair:D
How about a henna gloss or henna/cassia gloss. This is what I've been doing. They are permanent, but I do get fading and re do every 2 to 3 weeks.

This. Plus, even a light cassia/henna gloss would even out your color quite a bit.

Ulvashi
June 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Although your hairs look mighty fine as it is.....but since you hate them it doesnt matter then........I too will go with henna....I crazily love red hairs....you have no idea....unfortunately my hairs are very dark brown so its impossible for me to achieve the beautiful red you have without some serious damage....Best of Luck in your decision :)

PianoPlaye
June 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I'm biased. Your natural colour is much like my own & I rather enjoy the different colours in it, like the grain of wood. That said, full length in cooperative light, I've some red in it, so I can see the intellectual attraction of henna. Then I look at your photos & think YES! go for it!
So from me you get both a vote for have lovely natural colour hair, (and if that means putting up with the variety fo a while, how much can anyone tell with it up?) You also get a vote for going whoopee with the henna & persuading the whole lot into a spectacular sunset fire mane.
Either way you'll look great, so flip a coin - and you'll suddenly see exactly why you want to do the other. Which is why I am making No Suggestions at all as to length! :D

torrilin
June 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Your hair is like mine for color - dark blonde is kind of annoying because it refuses to be just one color. Mine actually ranges from platinum blonde in streaks to dark ash brown. All 100% natural. I often get exasperated and dye it to make it be more uniform. (tho since I'm very cool toned, it won't surprise you to know that I tend to dye it to be dark ash brown). Something you might want to keep in mind tho is that you aren't seeing the full range of what will happen as you grow your hair out. With this sort of hair color, you never have to worry about your hair color being too uniform so it washes you out. And with your light brows and lashes, that suggests what you'll get on fully grown out hair is not dark blonde but a pretty vivid blonde. Cheerleader hair!

I don't think there's anything wrong with dye, if more uniform hair is what you really want. I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with a chop, if you're comfortable with short hair. But I think modest (1-2") trims every few months will also work to remove dye damaged hair and let you see what your virgin hair looks like long if that's a goal.

I'm strongly against highlights, because our sort of color gets natural highlights from sun, and standard highlighting solutions are waaaay too strong for how easily the color lifts on this sort of hair. If highlights are really calling your name, get yourself outside to play every day for two weeks while you do the 2 week rule. If you don't have satisfactory highlights after that, I'll be very surprised.

I am getting very slight increases in the red tones in my hair from apple cider vinegar. That's after a couple months of use tho. My hair seems to be super sensitive to hard water buildup, especially on the old dyed parts. Using the vinegar means I am having much less trouble with tangle prone ends, so I'm a lot less inclined to cut. This may be worth considering since you mention nasty ends are an issue, and you are pro-red tones. (I like red hair, and I don't like red hair on me... the vinegar is pushing the blondest bits ever so slightly towards strawberry, while leaving the brownest and ashiest bits ashy. good compromise.)

redheadlynn
June 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Your natural colour is beautiful! I do think that you should grow your natural haircolour, but I donīt like you cutting your hair. Maybe after two/three months an inch or two and so on and so on. That way you donīt have to give up the lenght.

Or do you have something what removes the colour away?

I have gone back to henna numerous times, and after a while I always wish to go back to my natural color. What did make you want to grow out the henna? Application time? Expense? To see what is natural? I agree that henna red does look good on you, but be wary that you may very well want to go back to natural once you do do it. I agree in asking your friends/family their opinion.

You'll look awesome no matter what you do! :)

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
henna only no cut but do remember henna is the equivalent to a tattoo once the deed is done there is no turning back, so make sure you really think it through. I also love your natural colour, maybe a henna gloss may be the change you need, these tend to fade too.

Anje
June 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I'd say henna or highlights. Depends on whether you want virgin hair or hennaed hair long-term. I think you look good with henna, but also that everyone looks great with their natural color. Ultimately, it's your choice.

Rocket22
June 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I second the Henna.. You have the most beautiful hair and if you have no problem cutting it then go for it!!!! you can always start over and henna is good for your hair right? Also From your pictures you can pull off the shorter hair beautifully!

hs_atreides
June 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
It appears that your color is already great for henna! SO I lean to that option. I can understand the reluctance to do something THAT permanent, though. Have you considered chemical dyes but in the demi-permanent family or even stains? Eh, if your goals are natural then nevermind that :)
Your length is wonderful, I would be reluctant to let it go!

luthein
June 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The henna absolutely suits you. Wow! It really looks like you're a natural redhead.

Also, before you try making a chop, see if you can find something to help your ends feel less yucky, whether it's an oil, deep-conditioning treatment, wearing it up all the time, etc. It looks like it can definitely stay on your head. Experiment before making the chop. You might find something that surprises you.

einna
June 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
What about alternative 4. Cut less (to APL maybe) and continue to grow out your natural colour . I have also grown out an ashier tone in reddish dyed hair, and it got better and better the more virgin hair I got. Silver shampoo can help the brassiness, and I`ve heard that some people use a bit of vegetable dye in their shampoo or CO with good results.

Henna would also suit you though :)

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
You hair is beautiful and I have cut my hair to cut out color from it before, speaking from experience I regret it, a LOT. So (a) is my least favorite choice out of the three.

You could get highlights, you could even prevent most of the damage with an overnight coconut oiling and highlighting on the still oiled hair, if that's what you want (more info here: The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil)). OR you could lighten the henna yourself. Someone has done that on this forum before, you can read about it here: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!! (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19317) Someone else lightened her henna with Blonder by John Frieda: Have you tried John Freida? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67640&highlight=john+frieda+blonder+henna) (scroll down to the seventh reply).

You could go back to henna and have an even color. Henna looks great, makes your hair shinny and is good for your hair. But then you'll have to deal with the permanence of it and constant root touch up. So I wouldn't do that if I was a natural blond.

Whatever you choose at least you have a lot of options. I hope you post what you decided, maybe with some pictures. Lots of luck with your decision! :D

Sooze
June 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Your hair is beautiful anyway, but I feel the henna looked so natural on you that whatever you decide to do, you win. Short or long, you have wonderful hair.

dulce
June 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM
When I was in your position I did#b but either b or c is good,If you cut you may regret it and the extra time to regrow might be frustrating if your goal is long.I found after doing 2 sets of light blonde streaks over a year it helped blend everything together and I never needed to do any colours again.I was growing out gray hair from reddish brown old dyed colour. I had my gray in sections, my natural color and the streaks plus the previously coloured slightly brassy hair all going at 1 time.Over time it has all continued to blend better and better and happily I was able to keep my length,am almost at waist now. In the end you do what's most comfortable for you,My album is public so you can take a peek if you want.My hair is all natural colour to my shoulders now.you can still see the leftover streaks from shoulders down.

dulce
June 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
The henna would avoid the multi coloured hair look.

lapushka
June 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I think the henna does look good on you, but not as good as your natural color does. I actually prefer the blond. :flower:

I grew out virgin color and it can be hugely frustrating, esp. when there's a big difference between your virgin color and the dye. I used semi-permanents whenever I needed to, and had it trimmed occasionally, and it helped me grow out all the color.

If you're going to use semi-permanents, here's a tip. Use a color to match the dye that's growing out if that dye is darker than your virgin color, or use a color to match your virgin color if the dye is lighter than your original color. HTH.

Joliebaby
June 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Oh wow, so many replies! Thanks so much, you are all sweet :)
I spent the day away at my dad's. I took some new pictures. My hair is lightly oiled and brushed:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6270&pictureid=104510
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6270&pictureid=104511
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6270&pictureid=104512

In these pictures my hair looks nice, and my natural hair even looks like it has coppery tones.
It is seriously WEIRD! How is it possible, do I just really have no clue what my color really is? ( Remembering some old photos, I think my hair often looked warm, honey colored in them, but not always.)

I feel like, if it's already this red, I can just make it a bit more red all over, right? The green is also really bright in all of these pictures too though, because the sun was shining, so in shade my hair isn't this coppery.
On the other hand, if it's that nice naturally, maybe I should just gather any scraps of patience and hang in there and grow it out?

I think I will not highlight, as I'm obsessed with healthy hair and I just trimmed an inch and my ends are quite soft and nice now. I'm pretty sure that highlights= more trims. My hair, while normally resilient, HAS been chemically treated and is not as strong as to come undamaged from bleach.

So I think it's either leave it alone or do a henna-cassia. If I do just a gloss, it'll help things blend and it will still fade if I don't want to continue with it.

My hair is longer than ever since I was a kid, and I'm not going to chop it without thinking it through, though I am usually very impulsive. I've had a couple of trims this past year and I'd be at waist if I didn't have them -but I couldn't stand the dry ends. Taking better care of my hair again :)

Roseate
June 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
In these pictures my hair looks nice, and my natural hair even looks like it has coppery tones.
It is seriously WEIRD! How is it possible, do I just really have no clue what my color really is? ( Remembering some old photos, I think my hair often looked warm, honey colored in them, but not always.)

I think your hair looks gorgeous, even the dyed ends look kind of intentional; there's not a harsh demarcation line and it co-ordinates well with your natural roots.

Your natural color looks similar to mine; my hair looks very different in different lights, almost strawberry-blonde sometimes to nearly an ash-brown others. I enjoy the variation!

I think a light henna-cassia gloss would work great on you. I don't see a need for a big chop at all!

Kathie
June 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM
c) Long red hair is super awesome, and I used to think that when my hair is long I'd henna it. I've hennaed hair before and I loved it, it went so well with my aqua eyes and the fact that I wear blue a lot.

Sounds to me that you want to go red ;) I think henna would look great! I also, agree that henna glosses would be a nice way to start.

Ashenputtel
June 5th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I think you should let your natural color grow with no cut.

But then again I'm biased I'm in the exact same situation.

Ash roots then to reflect whatever color you have on your lenght and it blends quite well.

Calaelen
June 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Another vote for henna, and don't cut, but since the coloured part of your hair looks very rich, I wouldn't mix too much cassia into the henna mix...you might end up with gingerlilly orange...I've seen that happen often.

Mymagicfairy
June 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I say do what makes you happy. You look great in both..natural and henna
My personal choice would be henna...since i love henna and the red...as well as the healthy benefits !

lillyofthecelts
June 5th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I agree that you should keep the length and go with the henna-cassia gloss. It would give just a bit of even tone all over and of course give that awesome henna shine!

Joliebaby
June 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for taking the time for me :) It seems the general consensus is to keep the length and do a henna or henna-cassia gloss.

I did decide I won't cut. I enjoy my long hair too much, the feeling of it on my body, brushing it..and I feel like I have something going on in the looks department even if I don't generally bother to wear make-up, or I wear really simple plain clothes :) My hair is probably my favorite part of myself, always been (though I've often ended up hating it for self-inflicted reasons). Also. it's never been this long since childhood (there have been failed attempts to grow it long) and I do feel accomplishment in finally being able to let it grow.

I decided no to the highlights, because I don't want the damage and I'm afraid I won't like them, and I then have to cut because I can't stand the damage, AND I won't have my virgin roots anymore.

Now, I AM scared of the henna, but I've done henna before so it's not like I'm a henna virgin ;)
I'm thinking a gloss might be enough, at least to start with, heavy on the cassia.. I could even start with just a shampoo and conditioner for red hair, and perhaps ACV rinses!

I've been thinking about whether my goal still is completely virgin hair.. and I realized that where I live most of the year we actually have cold, dim sunlight and we live in artificial light most of the year. Not the most flattering thing for dark blondes! So my natural color may be gorgeous in the summer sunshine but most of the year it's more blah. So a little boost would not hurt..

I should keep it on the lighter side to avoid having a clear demarcation line. I'm really really low maintenance, but doing a henna gloss/cassia one every month or two is doable, and a good excuse to spend the day sitting at the computer sipping coffee :D

So, I have all but decided to do a henna/cassia treatment. I will start very slowly and do more until I reach a shade I like. But I'm thinking a strawberry/copper blonde, something that will look natural and will blend at the roots.
I'll also buy the henna shampoo and conditioner, I think just doing that and ACV will give me a red shimmer.

Thanks for your input everyone!!!

torrilin
June 7th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Henna shampoo and conditioner?

*perk*

Crysania
June 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
my personal opinion : too much henna on this site ! LOL

or maybe this is the result of me being sick of having henndigoed hair so i wont recommend it ...

i think your natural color is pretty, dark blonde like mine
if i was you, i would use only cassia without henna
cassia will give shine and goldish tones to you hair
camomile tea rinses, camomile essential oil treatments will give you pretty gold tones instead of red
( im in love with camomile smell too, it smells like summer )
do you like gold hair ? i do
the sun will give you nice highlights too, no need for chemical highlights

do you plan to dye your eyebrows to match the henna ( if you do henna ) ? i hennaed my eyebrows before and it looked awful with my skin tone, i have freckles so one would think it would look natural, not at all !
i may have ``orange`` freckles, but my natural hair, is ashy, and gold, not red at all

you had red hair before, remember why you stopped hennaing ?

if was you, i would not henna, the two tone you have now looks pretty and id just let it grow natural :)

MeganE
June 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
One thing I have to offer is that I also have light eyebrows and pale skin, and when I hennaed I felt that my hair was too dark. My natural hair color is much lighter, and I think that light eyebrows is better suited by light hair. I felt like it looked a bit weird to have dark hair and light eyebrows.

I think your hair looks great as it is. The different colors are at least very complimentary and also are quite subtle. If you want virgin hair, you'll have to commit to letting it grow out. :)

Unofficial_Rose
June 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM
my personal opinion : too much henna on this site ! LOL

or maybe this is the result of me being sick of having henndigoed hair so i wont recommend it ...

if was you, i would not henna, the two tone you have now looks pretty and id just let it grow natural :)

Ahaha! Totally agree with all of these. I see more henna on here than is perhaps agreeable to me. And I'm 5 months into growing out henndigo.

I'd leave it alone. I understand your concern about the two-tone, but it's pretty.

musicallberrii
June 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Henna! I love it on you, its gorgeous!

Arya
June 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I love your thickness!! Please don't cut. But, errr..please avoid dying your eyebrows orange. If you're blonde, whatever eyebrow colour you have now is perfectly fine. *looks* yes, your eyebrows are perfect for red hair! I'm a natural copper coloured redhead, (bright like a new penny in the summer, dark like an older one in the winter) and my eyebrows are white blonde. I tint them/draw them a bit darker to your colour when I want to see them.

*natural redheads do not have orange eyebrows*
that is all.

Joliebaby
June 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Haha, thanks Arya :) I will keep this in mind :D
I have ordered cassia and henna, and amla, yet to arrive.
I don't know about how much of what I'm going to go for, but I think just a light copper color.

rosek
June 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
From experience, the first year of growing out colour is the hardest. After that, it starts to blend a lot better, and when it is in an updo it is all in the bun part, so you can't even see it.

Just some encouragement if you want to keep growing it out.

Otherwise, I agree, you'd look great with henna!

terpentyna
June 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Henna was the obvious one for me : )

celebriangel
June 9th, 2011, 05:49 AM
So it sounds like the uneven colour is what's bothering you, oui? I personally would stay far, far away from highlights - they just make the growing-out process longer and can go wrong. I too have multi-tonal hair, however the henna/cassia mix that I use means that everything blends much better (or at least it does now that I have my mix right)

If you don't like your natural colour now, you have to decide whether it's because you have old dye remaining, or because you just plain old don't like it. I fall firmly into category B, so I henna'd. If you like your natural colour lots, but are feeling down because of the two-tone thing ONLY, I personally would suggest a chop. But if you really don't like your natural colour, then growing a full head of it is not going to make you particularly happy.

I think the henna looks great on you, and with a bit of care I promise it will even the colour out a fair bit. You could do a few lightening treatments on the ends to lift the colour slightly before you henna for a more even look if you wanted.

kellinaturalmom
June 9th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Your hair is beautiful! Don't cut it! It will look great hennaed, keep us updated with pics!