PDA

View Full Version : Frequent split ends, help please!

dior1
June 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the forums after lurking for quite some time :o

I need to ask this though, my hair is really getting to me at the moment!

I always would use some kind of heat tool on it to make it wearable each day, but have not gone near it with anything like such for 3 weeks as of yesterday! Along with this reduction in heat, I've also started the CO mehtod which has really extended my wash and I'm so happy about, as well as the fact I'm doing regular oiling with coconut oil and another deep mask (w/ cones, but makes my ends lovely for a short period of time).

However, I am constantly looking at my ends. I'll snip here and I'll snip there to get the breaking ends and split ends off, then I'll breath a sigh of relief and hope it grows to that length again. But then I wake up the next day, or at the next examination on my hair, more split ends!! What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to nurish them with the oil and mask, and sometimes a leave in serum gloss, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'd love any advise you girls can give me. Any thing I can do for ends that aren't constantly splitting meaning I have to lose more and more length??

Thanks in advancee! :)

allnight avenue
June 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I have the same problem, except I've been babying my hair for three YEARS now! It's like my hair really needs a trim every 2 months. I'll be glad to see what folks have to say.....

julliams
June 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Ok are we talking every hair is split, lots of splits or a few here and there? I have stopped using constant heat since September 2009, now only using it once in a while for a special occasion. I have split ends, but I haven't trimmed in 14 months as length is my goal. I will trim soon.

I'm going to guess that the constant heat you did for ages before is what has caused the splitting you are seeing now or it could be that if you have stopped cones, they are showing up (which is what happened to me - used heat and had no splits - then stopped heat, stopped cones and splits came thick and fast). Whilst 3 weeks is a great break for your hair, it's actually a very short time since your hair which have grown just under half an inch in that time.

If the hair is damaged, you might find that you will snip the split end off and it will resplit soon after.

If length is your goal, I would trim a little every 4 - 6 months, thereby gaining length slowly but keeping the splits in check. If healthy hair is your goal, I would trim every 2 months or until the splits start to show themselves again, thereby losing the length you gain, but maintaining healthy ends.

Try and decide what is more important to you and that might help you to decide how to combat this problem. Just keep in mind that even those who use no heat, dye or cones, have splits. For some, it's got more to do with hair type than anything else.

Madora
June 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Split ends are a way of life..no matter how much you baby your hair.

You CAN eliminate some of the damage causing areas, however.

Use a natural boar bristle brush (no nylon or plastic) and avoid all straightening/heating implements.

Wear your hair up (if you can). No teasing or back combing. Use a silk pillowcase. Avoid rubber bands or elastics that have metal on them. No hot curlers (use sponge ones instead). No hairspray (use a little bit of coconut oil instead).

If I were you, I'd cut back an inch or two. The only way to get rid of splits is to cut them off.

If your hair is one length, it is MUCH easier to deal with the ends and judge the success of your trimming efforts.

monsterna
June 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'd say it's unlikely you're seeing splits on the same hairs you just cut unless you used crappy scissors. You may be doing this already, but you should only use hair cutting scissors for this, and only use them on your hair.

Don't worry. When I first S&D'd, I found LOADS of splits. It gets better, trust me. If you have a LOT of end damage, I'd cut it off. Otherwise, keep doing the no heat thing and S&D (I would highly recommend getting a silk pillowcase as Madora said, too -- my hair has virtually no tangles in the morning and is ready to go after a bit of comb action... no need or want for heat ever again!).

Good luck. :)

dior1
June 5th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Not every hair is split, but it's probably the majority of my hair that is in that condition. I really don't want to do a big chop, but it's hard due to my esisting layers as they were way too short, and now they are splitting too, so I'd pretty much have no hair...and I'm not that brave unfortunetly. I think I'll need to invest in some good scissors as I'm only using everyday scissors atm and I doubt it's doing my hair any good. I have been sleeping on a satin pillow for the past few weeks.

I definitely need to stop combing wet...I never used to, but then I bought a wide tooth comb and started but I really don't think it's helping. Maybe if I comb before a shower, then CO wash, let it dry, then comb it again would be better.

I predict I'll be using heat in about 2 weeks for an occasion (seeing my long distance man) but aside from that I have no intention of using it. And in the meantime I'll only be getting a fringe trim (front bangs which are currently out of control!).

I'd love to hear any more suggestions to keep this breakage far far away!

alwayssmiling
June 5th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Yes a good pair of HD scissors are a very good investment - I use mine nearly everyday. I did a lot of S&Ding when I first started out because of all the previous damage with bleach and heat. I never actually had to have my hair cut short because I was S&Ding and doing tiny micro trims.

One thing that I would say has helped me lots is when I am shampooing I like to use a SLS free shampoo. I can tell that its better for my hair because when its wet, before I use conditioner, it actually feels smooth, not rough like other shampoos leave it. Therefore the conditioner doesn't have to work so hard. I also always use a leave in conditioner. Keeping my hair well moisturised has certainly reduced my splits, its obvious really but pre lhc I didn't moisturise my hair anywhere near enough.

torrilin
June 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I definitely need to stop combing wet...I never used to, but then I bought a wide tooth comb and started but I really don't think it's helping. Maybe if I comb before a shower, then CO wash, let it dry, then comb it again would be better.

That is not necessarily a dealbreaker. You've got yourself typed as 2c, which means curly hair care methods may work well for you. A lot of curlies basically soak their hair in conditioner and detangle wet in the shower... then don't touch their hair with a comb or brush at all otherwise. Their beautiful curls are protective for their hair, and trying to break them up or straighten them causes damage. Conditioner gives their hair slip, so combing doesn't break up the natural curls. Then not touching it lets the curls come out as it dries, and the total handling is pretty minimal.

Given that your hair is heat fried, going to a super gentle method with minimal handling might work out for the best.

I predict I'll be using heat in about 2 weeks for an occasion (seeing my long distance man) but aside from that I have no intention of using it. And in the meantime I'll only be getting a fringe trim (front bangs which are currently out of control!).

Honestly, your partner probably likes you just fine the way you are. (and if he doesn't and is rude enough to tell you... that does not say nice things about his character.) So pretend he's a caring guy and he can cope with your hair being curly. Odds are in your favor.

torrilin
June 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I have the same problem, except I've been babying my hair for three YEARS now! It's like my hair really needs a trim every 2 months. I'll be glad to see what folks have to say.....

You probably don't have the same problem :-/.

You probably have the virgin hair but handled too much version. Curly hair types are more fragile than straight. So as a 1c/F, I can probably get away with somewhat rougher handling than your hair, even tho F/M means your hair in the abstract is stronger. This doesn't mean I can handle my hair truly roughly, just... I *can* comb more than once a day, even now. Even on partly dyed hair.

Most folks have hair that will tolerate some kinds of damaging treatment well, and other kinds poorly. For my hair, dye is the one it tolerates. Your hair may be different, or it may not.

And ultimately, the more your hair tends towards F, the more splits are a fact of life. You keep after them. You trim them out as needed. But for F hair, split free just isn't happening. The point is to keep them down to a comfortable, livable level. Minimizing split formation helps, but there's only so much you can do if your head isn't shaved, y'know?

monsterna
June 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I think I'll need to invest in some good scissors as I'm only using everyday scissors atm and I doubt it's doing my hair any good. I have been sleeping on a satin pillow for the past few weeks.

I'd love to hear any more suggestions to keep this breakage far far away!

1. Hair scissors need not be expensive. I've seen people here say they spend anywhere from $10 - $300 on a pair! I myself spent about $10 and they have been fine. Just from Conair I think, from the grocery store or CVS or something.

2. No need to stop wet combing -- there was a poll a few threads back and last I checked more people preferred wet to dry combing! Myself included. I do it with conditioner soaking throughout my hair in the shower. It helps the conditioner get to each strand and also makes for effortless combing when I get out of the shower. Just make sure when you comb, wet or dry, that you're starting from the ends and working your way up and that you aren't breaking through knots and tangles! You should detangle with your fingers gentle when you come to a snag. Ripping through it only causes breakage and immediate split ends. Be gentle. It's time consuming sometimes, but it's better for your hair.

3. If you must use heat, really try to avoid the straightener if possible. If you're using a blow dryer, use it on either the coolest setting possible or warm - NOT hot! If you can't hold your hand continuously under the air flow without it getting too hot and pulling away, why would you want your hair to feel that heat continuously? :D Also keep it on the lowest setting. Tangles (and so, easier breakage) occur when the wind from the dryer is blowing your hair around relentlessly around itself. It will take a bit longer to dry (with shoulder length, not a problem either way), but it's better than hot temps and tropical storm speeds! You also shouldn't go from extremely wet to extremely dry just like that, but I'm sure that you, like most people, probably don't start blow drying until it's dried at least a little bit. Or you should try that if you don't already do it.

redheadlynn
June 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi all. I'm new to the forums after lurking for quite some time :o

I need to ask this though, my hair is really getting to me at the moment!

I always would use some kind of heat tool on it to make it wearable each day, but have not gone near it with anything like such for 3 weeks as of yesterday! Along with this reduction in heat, I've also started the CO mehtod which has really extended my wash and I'm so happy about, as well as the fact I'm doing regular oiling with coconut oil and another deep mask (w/ cones, but makes my ends lovely for a short period of time).

However, I am constantly looking at my ends. I'll snip here and I'll snip there to get the breaking ends and split ends off, then I'll breath a sigh of relief and hope it grows to that length again. But then I wake up the next day, or at the next examination on my hair, more split ends!! What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to nurish them with the oil and mask, and sometimes a leave in serum gloss, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'd love any advise you girls can give me. Any thing I can do for ends that aren't constantly splitting meaning I have to lose more and more length??

Thanks in advancee! :)

While it won't get rid of split ends, have you tried coconut oil? For me, it's been a true lifesaver in improving the condition of the lesser damaged parts, and reducing splits due to dry ends that tangle. Others have better luck with different oils.... I find I usually have to slather it on at night and before I shower to get best results. *shrug*

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I had the same problem... "Searching and destroying", even weekly, wasn't working for me... I had to go get a trim.... a big trim.... and now I just keep it well oiled. Sometimes you just have to cut :(

kyandii
June 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Have you read this article?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

Mariacus9
June 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Use lots of oils and leave them on overnight. This will keep the ends well moisturized and prevent breakage. Try not to handle it too much...I know this is a lot easier said than done, since my hair sounds a lot like yours. I've started leaving in olive oil and coconut oil and it leaves it a lot healthier. Also, try getting a few inches cut off. I know its hard, but it will get rid of the majority of split ends, and the results should last longer.

dior1
June 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Use lots of oils and leave them on overnight. This will keep the ends well moisturized and prevent breakage. Try not to handle it too much...I know this is a lot easier said than done, since my hair sounds a lot like yours. I've started leaving in olive oil and coconut oil and it leaves it a lot healthier. Also, try getting a few inches cut off. I know its hard, but it will get rid of the majority of split ends, and the results should last longer.

I am oiling atm, but often find it hard to get the oil out even with CO washing only. Olive oil doesn't really agree with my hair, it leaves it very oily and limp, coconut oil not so much, but perhaps I should do it again and just leave the conditioner in for longer to absorb more oil.

curlymarcia
June 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM
dior1, you could try a light oil (like sweet almond), my hair also hate olive oil but almond oil works lovely :)