PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D deficiency

ChloeDharma
June 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm wondering if anybody knows for sure a link between a deficiency in vitamin D and hair loss.
I had a blood test done a couple of months ago by a different endocrinologist and got a letter today saying i have "severe vitamin D deficiency". On looking up some of the symptoms i notice hair loss is sometimes mentioned but so are problems i've suffered from since 2007 which is also when my hairloss really started.

Lol it would be so funny if this simple thing turns out to be the cause of so many problems over the last four years and my doctor has never thought to check it. Well, not funny really but a relief anyway.

So, does anybody have experience/knowledge of this? (By that i mean vit D and hair growth) I'd love to hear any input from you clever people :p xxx

wantlonghair
June 4th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm wondering if anybody knows for sure a link between a deficiency in vitamin D and hair loss.
I had a blood test done a couple of months ago by a different endocrinologist and got a letter today saying i have "severe vitamin D deficiency". On looking up some of the symptoms i notice hair loss is sometimes mentioned but so are problems i've suffered from since 2007 which is also when my hairloss really started.

Lol it would be so funny if this simple thing turns out to be the cause of so many problems over the last four years and my doctor has never thought to check it. Well, not funny really but a relief anyway.

So, does anybody have experience/knowledge of this? (By that i mean vit D and hair growth) I'd love to hear any input from you clever people :p xxx

i started taking vitamin d because of a deficiency and i have noticed my hair is less dry and is not breaking and splitting as much and because of this it has grown since i started taking the vitamin d, so i do think the vitamin d has something to do with hair growth. in a few months i will see just how long i can get my hair to grow.

ChloeDharma
June 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
i started taking vitamin d because of a deficiency and i have noticed my hair is less dry and is not breaking and splitting as much and because of this it has grown since i started taking the vitamin d, so i do think the vitamin d has something to do with hair growth. in a few months i will see just how long i can get my hair to grow.

This is interesting. To be honest i don't really suffer from dryness or splits much.....just from it not clinging in at the root very well lol. I've upped my protein intake too though and have started taking vitamin D3 today (i actually had some already in my stack of supplements i forget to take) so i'll prioritise taking this now.

kitten1986
June 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Chloe
I am a medical student and we have just been learning a bit about vitamin D so I hope I can help you a little bit with your query. Vitamin D is a pretty integral vitamin and if you are deficient it can cause a wide range of problems.

Vitamin D is co transported with calcium into your blood in the small intestine, so if you lack vit D then you are also likely calcium deficient too, which leads to breakdown of bone and long term leads to osteoporosis.
Calcium is also really important in hair growth as it helps produce the keratinised protein that your hairs are made up of... so low calcium = bad growth.

Vitamin D is also cotransported from your small intestine into your blood with essential fatty acids and proteins, so once again low vit D leads to low fatty acids and proteins in your body which will definitely have a detrimental effect on your hair growth.

As a side note vit D is also really important with neural functioning! They think that vitamin D deficiency can lead to Alzheimer's and other conditions later in life!

So as far as I know, vit D deficiency had an indirect effect on hair growth because if you dont have vit D then you are not absorbing everything you need from your diet.

You can supplement vitamin D but just remember it is toxic in high doses, so I would suggest you go back to your endocrinologist and discuss treatment that will work for you, vitamins and 'natural therapies' are just as dangerous as any other pharmaceutical product, just because you can buy them over the counter doesnt mean they are safe and effective.

I hope that helps answer your question, but please go back to your endocrinologist or GP to get to the bottom of it.

Mesmerise
June 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Remember that one of the best ways to get vitamin D is from the sun! A lot of people are so afraid of skin cancer, or premature aging etc. that they avoid the sun and slather themselves in sunscreen whenever they go out.

Try to spend at least a few minutes in the sun each day, and that should also help your body's vitamin D production!

ChloeDharma
June 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Chloe
I am a medical student and we have just been learning a bit about vitamin D so I hope I can help you a little bit with your query. Vitamin D is a pretty integral vitamin and if you are deficient it can cause a wide range of problems.

Vitamin D is co transported with calcium into your blood in the small intestine, so if you lack vit D then you are also likely calcium deficient too, which leads to breakdown of bone and long term leads to osteoporosis.
Calcium is also really important in hair growth as it helps produce the keratinised protein that your hairs are made up of... so low calcium = bad growth.

Vitamin D is also cotransported from your small intestine into your blood with essential fatty acids and proteins, so once again low vit D leads to low fatty acids and proteins in your body which will definitely have a detrimental effect on your hair growth.

As a side note vit D is also really important with neural functioning! They think that vitamin D deficiency can lead to Alzheimer's and other conditions later in life!

So as far as I know, vit D deficiency had an indirect effect on hair growth because if you dont have vit D then you are not absorbing everything you need from your diet.

You can supplement vitamin D but just remember it is toxic in high doses, so I would suggest you go back to your endocrinologist and discuss treatment that will work for you, vitamins and 'natural therapies' are just as dangerous as any other pharmaceutical product, just because you can buy them over the counter doesnt mean they are safe and effective.

I hope that helps answer your question, but please go back to your endocrinologist or GP to get to the bottom of it.

Hi there Kitten :)

In the letter the endo suggests 25mcg of D3, well to be precise he suggests the highest dose tablet sold in Holland and Barrett. I have the 10mcg pills at the moment so took two of those today. My GP tends to be a bit clueless so i don't generally ask him for specific advice.

Thanks for replying :)

Mesmerise, I did that too today, exposed my arms lol...only thing is i live in the UK so we only get enough of the light frequency needed to synthesize D3 during certain months of the year.

Mesmerise
June 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Mesmerise, I did that too today, exposed my arms lol...only thing is i live in the UK so we only get enough of the light frequency needed to synthesize D3 during certain months of the year.

Yeah, I noticed you're from London! Take advantage of the next few summer months at least and try and expose your skin daily :). I try to do this in summer too (and on warmer spring and autumn days) although I have the advantage of living in a somewhat warmer climate than you do (I do live in the colder part of Australia though, so we don't have all that many months when we can go outside and get sun either).

It also depends on your skin colouring. If you're very fair you'll benefit more from the sunshine for vitamin D synthesis than if you've got darker skin.

TinaDenali
June 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I was diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency recently when my midwife did a prenatal panel.

She said normal range is 50-100 of whatever units they measure in and anything under 30 is considered a significant deficiency.

My level? 6. That's it - just 6. O.O

So, I started taking a Vit D tab.

And today I measured my hair and I've only had a 1.5 inch growth since November, so I presume that my hair has stalled growing since I became pregnant (in Feb.) and baby took all my vitamins. I guess that explains it! And my hair has been shedding like crazy - thought that could be any number of things to do with pregnancy.

Glad I found this thread :)

DoubleCrowned
June 4th, 2011, 09:40 PM

In order to get vitamin D from the sun, be sure not to wash your skin when you come inside. You have to give the oils on your skin time to let the vitamin D be absorbed.

OneCurlyMan
June 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Apart from sun exposure, it would be a good idea to incorporate cod liver oil as a supplement into your diet. Cod liver oil is not only an excellent source of vitamin D but it also contains omega 3 oils which are excellent for hair (and skin). Try to shoot for about a gram of omega 3 from cod liver oil which will also give you a strong amount of vitamin D and A (vitamin A helps build hair too). Since you live in the UK, which is higher in latitude than say, the US, it would be a good idea to supplement with cod liver oil year round. For those living in lower latitudes, think souther Europe or California/Florida, switiching to fish oil instead of cod liver oil in summer is better so as to avoid a vitamin D hyperstatus.

As a curious note, cod liver oil is used in dogs to make their fur shinier. I used to buy it in bulk from my local pharmacy and the girl thought I had a herd of dogs until I decided to tell her it was for me.

ChloeDharma
June 5th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Apart from sun exposure, it would be a good idea to incorporate cod liver oil as a supplement into your diet. Cod liver oil is not only an excellent source of vitamin D but it also contains omega 3 oils which are excellent for hair (and skin). Try to shoot for about a gram of omega 3 from cod liver oil which will also give you a strong amount of vitamin D and A (vitamin A helps build hair too). Since you live in the UK, which is higher in latitude than say, the US, it would be a good idea to supplement with cod liver oil year round. For those living in lower latitudes, think souther Europe or California/Florida, switiching to fish oil instead of cod liver oil in summer is better so as to avoid a vitamin D hyperstatus.

As a curious note, cod liver oil is used in dogs to make their fur shinier. I used to buy it in bulk from my local pharmacy and the girl thought I had a herd of dogs until I decided to tell her it was for me.

Vitamin D was first noticed in the 1700's by noting that cod liver oil treated rickets......well they didn't know it was called vitamin D but that it was something in the cod liver oil.
I wish i could take cod liver myself but i get an alergic reaction to it. I'm thinking i should add it to my dogs food along with the other oils though.

I've ordered this supplement (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LC1INI/ref=oss_product). Until it gets here i'll be popping a few of the 400 iu pills i have. Quite curious to see what happens now.

OneCurlyMan
June 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Vitamin D was first noticed in the 1700's by noting that cod liver oil treated rickets......well they didn't know it was called vitamin D but that it was something in the cod liver oil.
I wish i could take cod liver myself but i get an alergic reaction to it. I'm thinking i should add it to my dogs food along with the other oils though.

I've ordered this supplement (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LC1INI/ref=oss_product). Until it gets here i'll be popping a few of the 400 iu pills i have. Quite curious to see what happens now.

Interesting. Did you get the Holland & Barret brand or a reputable brand?

How about fish oil? Do you have an allergic reaction to it?

Honestwitness
June 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
My hair has had a growth spurt lately and I have wondered if that is linked to the fact that I have finally started remembering to take my calcium/vitamin D pills every day, as my doctor recommended. I was diagnosed with osteopoenia a few years ago, which is a precursor to osteoporosis, so my doctor recommended the calcium/vitamin D supplements. However, for a long time, I kept forgetting to take them. Somehow, over the past six months, I have remembered to take them pretty consistently. My hair was at BSL when I started taking the calcium/vitamin D regularly, which was some time in January 2011. I thought it would reach waist length by December 2011. However, it's now June 5, and it's almost to waist now.

adiapalic
June 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
What a coincidence for this thread to pop up. Just a couple days ago my blood test from my physical came back. My Vitamin D was 25 ng/mL... doctor wants it between 60-70 ng/mL. Said he wants me to take around 15,000IU of Vitamin D3 a week. So I can take 5000IU tablets three times a week or 2000IU tablets seven times a week.

As I've been reading, it appears that the functions of Vitamin D are extremely important--especially concerning bone health. Vitamin D deficiency is considered quite common, with 50% of world population at risk. (Vitamin D Deficiency: A Global Epidemic (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-deficiency/)).

ChloeDharma
June 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Interesting. Did you get the Holland & Barret brand or a reputable brand?

How about fish oil? Do you have an allergic reaction to it?

I have a very odd relationship with fish.....shellfish gave me violent alergic reactions for years though i did have some without knowing it until afterwards a couple of years ago and was ok. I still avoid it though just in case.
If you are asking about the brand of cod liver oil it would have been seven seas. Salmon oil is the only fish oil i've taken and have been fine with that but tempted as i am i've not tried blended fish oils out of fear for a reaction.

The vitamin D3 tablets i have now are the Holland and Barret ones but the 10ug, taking 3 though ;-)

Scarlet_Heart
October 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Performing a thread resurrection in light of recent experiences.

My hair had been falling out all summer. In my estimation, I've lost about half at this point. I recently got a blood test expecting some sort of hormone issue. My d level was 13. I was told to take 10,000 iu of D3 daily along with B12.

Doc said my deficiency was so severe that this was the cause of my hair loss. I've only been taking the D3 for a few days and was curious for anyone who's been through this, how long does it take before your hair stops shedding?

Oh, so I guess the point of my email was that in my experience, yes vitamin d deficiency definitely can cause hair loss. And in my case, a LOT.

Amber_Maiden
October 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm a long time vegan, so I have to take Vit D pills. There is definitely some link between health and not getting the right vitamins. Vit D is super cheap and is only a small little pill. Also makes you happier.

Inching Along
October 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
You know, it would make sense. I have been losing lots of hair for the past five years or so. I have autoimmune thyroid disease and have had a lot of emotional stress, too. Though my vitamin D level was abysmal, I didn't notice a big difference in my shedding until near the end of this summer. I had been getting into the sun regularly, taking 5,000 units of D3 daily, and also taking 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil (arctic mint flavor). I don't know how much sun I'll be able to get in the colder weather, but I'll continue the pills and the cod liver oil. I am hopeful that I can get my levels to stay up this time...and maybe it's a big factor in keeping my hair!

KwaveT
October 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Most people that take seizure medication like I do tend to have a low Vitamin D level since medication inhibits Vitamin D absorption. I take 2000 IU pill everyday to combat my medicine. There is another 500 IU in my Viactiv calcium chew that I take. I have thick hair and it is growing fairly fast since I added a bunch of supplements. I have never been tested for Vitamin D but I assume it is not super low with all measures I take now.

archel
October 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm so glad this was posted! I too have a severe vitamin D deficiency. My doctor told me a good level is 75-100. Guess what mine was? 8! O_O

I had prescription Vitamin D that was 50,000 IU that I took once a week. Now that those are gone, I'm taking 1,000 IU a day of OTC stuff. I'll get rechecked in a month and let you guys know if my hair and skin is any different.

I take my calcium-magnesium tabs at the same time I take the Vit D, btw.

Scarlet_Heart
November 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I found a blog by a girl who's story is almost exactly like mine. I've been struggling lately with whether or not to cut my hair because the shedding has slowed down, but my hair is not growing back. But luckily I found this woman's blog and I feel a little better as it took a few months for hers to start growing back. The follicle's growth cycle takes a while to develop and be able to grow hair again. So I'm looking forward to getting my hair back in the next few months.

Anyway, going through this is difficult, but this blog made me feel a little better so I wanted to share it with you.

Hair Loss, Vitamin D, and Me by MarathonSweetheart (http://marathonsweetheart.com/2011/02/07/hair-loss-vitamin-d-and-me/)

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Oh sweetie! I saw you already got some great answers but I wanted to tell you that I too have a chronic Vitamin D deficiency. In my case it's probably linked to my thyroid issues. *Anyone* can be Vit. D deficient...I live in Southern California, you know? I mean holy carp, LOL.

Anyway...yes...Vit. D is technically not a vitamin at all but a precursor to a hormone and therefore is definitely part of the endocrine puzzle when people have such issues. So I am glad you're seeing an endocrinologist. I can say that once I had my thyroid and my Vit D issues medicated my hair began growing in much more healthily.

So I just wanted to offer hugs and say I am SO glad to see you on here, stick around! Missed ya!!

SarahKayfa
November 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I was a flight attendant for several years, and Vitamin D deficiency was a big problem for lots of us because we were never ever in the sun and often ate really poorly. There was one woman I know who wore falls and full wigs because her hair loss got so extreme, because of being vitamin D deficient.

heidi w.
November 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I am unaware of a correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and hair loss. However, a lot of problems health wise to tend to show in the hair in time.

Vitamin D deficiency has very serious problems as Vitamin D lacking can contribute to clouded thinking, problems with bones, even contributing to Diabetes, and a few other things.

I wouldn't fool around with this and worry overly about your hair. I recommend you work with your doctor, nutritional sources and maybe Vitamin D pills to improve the Vitamin D you get. Many have problems with this in the winter, habitually. I have a friend who has it and in winter she becomes a true krankypoo, and just wants to hide or rather hibernate. And she truly "wakes up" come mid-Spring. It's quite stunning the difference. She's really hard to handle mood wise in the winter, and because she's in her own skin, she has trouble seeing it, and managing it. The deficiency even affects her sex drive, and interest. And she takes Vitamin D pills daily, year round.

With Vitamin D deficiency, the problem it may show in your hair is the least of your concerns health wise.

My very best,
heidi w.

curlytiff27
November 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I found a blog by a girl who's story is almost exactly like mine. I've been struggling lately with whether or not to cut my hair because the shedding has slowed down, but my hair is not growing back. But luckily I found this woman's blog and I feel a little better as it took a few months for hers to start growing back. The follicle's growth cycle takes a while to develop and be able to grow hair again. So I'm looking forward to getting my hair back in the next few months.

Anyway, going through this is difficult, but this blog made me feel a little better so I wanted to share it with you.

Hair Loss, Vitamin D, and Me by MarathonSweetheart (http://marathonsweetheart.com/2011/02/07/hair-loss-vitamin-d-and-me/)

I'm glad you posted her story...I was going to do the same, but I'm on my phone. :) I just went and had blood work done today, ferratin and vit d included. I just want to rule out if my shedding is stress related or somethjng else. It could be iron, I bruse very easily n always have cold hands n feet, or could be vitamun d, as I work from home and never go outside during the week other than on Saturdays and that is mostly rinding in a car or being in a store. So, we shall see. I just hope the shedding stops soon! Good news is that I have tons of new growth per my hair dresser yesterday!

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I just want to second the cod liver oil. It makes a huge difference for me. If you can find Carlson's Lemon cod liver oil it tastes the best. I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe but I've seen it at Whole Foods, too.

In retrospect, I think that Vit D deficiency was a factor (along with wet brushing and daily SC) in how sad my hair was the last time I had it long. Aside from all the breakage, it was really thin and limp and dead looking. I started taking cod liver oil after I was diagnosed with depression and it made a huge difference in my mood but that is also when my hair started to improve (after a big chop- 12").

leslissocool
November 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I was diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency recently when my midwife did a prenatal panel.

She said normal range is 50-100 of whatever units they measure in and anything under 30 is considered a significant deficiency.

My level? 6. That's it - just 6. O.O

So, I started taking a Vit D tab.

And today I measured my hair and I've only had a 1.5 inch growth since November, so I presume that my hair has stalled growing since I became pregnant (in Feb.) and baby took all my vitamins. I guess that explains it! And my hair has been shedding like crazy - thought that could be any number of things to do with pregnancy.

Glad I found this thread :)

Be careful, I had hormone induced alopecia (literally bald spots on my head) when I was pregnant with twins because they sucked ALL the vitamins out of me. My doctor told me to take liquid vitamin d and b together with my prenatal vitamins. It saved my hair and teeth (at one point my teeth were very loose, that's when I got very worried). Talk to your doctor about adding liquid vitamins.

jeanniet
November 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm on 2000 iu of vitamin D daily due to a diagnosed deficiency, and I can't say that I noticed a big difference in my hair before or after--certainly no difference in my shed pattern.

People should also be aware that not everyone absorbs vitamin D from the sun well. I live in California, and I'm outside walking my dog for an hour or more nearly every day, and I'm still deficient if I don't take supplemental D.

fiddlefananb
November 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I take about 3000 iu of vitamin d every day. My vitamin d level when I had it tested April of 2010 was 8. I had to do 2 rounds of of 50,000 iu supplements 1 time a week and 2000 iu on the other days for 12 weeks. I was then told to continue 2000 iu supplements for then on every day.

When I had my levels tested a month ago they were barely 30. I take 2000 iu in a joint supplement and another 1000 iu in my multivitamin.

I have not noticed any difference in my hair but my energy levels are better and my knees don't swell up and turn red and hurt. Keep up and get it tested frequently because it is very important and a lot of doctors still are not testing it. The RDA is just not enough for most people.

heidi w.
November 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm on 2000 iu of vitamin D daily due to a diagnosed deficiency, and I can't say that I noticed a big difference in my hair before or after--certainly no difference in my shed pattern.

People should also be aware that not everyone absorbs vitamin D from the sun well. I live in California, and I'm outside walking my dog for an hour or more nearly every day, and I'm still deficient if I don't take supplemental D.

With hair concerns, and particularly growth/shedding, there's always a few months between a given problem or fix, and the outcome for improvement also takes a few months before the improvement shows in the hair.

That's the way of it.

heidi w.

Henna_Goddess
January 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Diagnosed in December 2011 with low level of Vitamin D 4.4. On 50,000 units once a week for 12 weeks and if that doesnt fix it then I'll go for another 12 weeks of Vitamin D therapy. Going to start taking Calcium too. I was also diagnosed with iron deficient anemia which I've been off and on my whole life.

Was told by the nurse practitioner at the doctors office that there were no symptoms because she didn't have any symptoms so no one else had them either.

I'm waiting to see an improvement in my hair strength.

turtlelover
January 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I don't know that taking Vitamin D has affected my hair, but I DEFINITELY get sick a LOT less often since starting to take 5000IU per day. I can be around very sick people and not catch what they have, while before, I was very prone to colds and flu.

jennescence
January 10th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair was falling a lot too before i started taking my Vitamin d2 and d3.

same_as
January 10th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I had a blood tested about ten months ago. At the time the doctor said that I was severally vitamin D deficient, and recommended I start taking a supplement straight away. But for some reason at the time I didn't want to, I just decided to spend more time in the sun. I did, and have been spending about 45 minuets out four days a week, at least.

Recently I've experienced a thin patch of hair at the top of my head, towards my forehead. Can it take this long for the affects of a vitamin D deficiency to show? And is it possible that even though I've been spending so much time in the sun?

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow for the hair loss anyway, so I guess I'll find out then.

MonaLisa
January 11th, 2012, 01:08 AM
From what I know, vitamin D we can get from sun.
And regarding hair, vitamin D makes individual hairs thicker/stronger.
Maybe I'm wrong.

AnqeIicDemise
January 11th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I don't know that taking Vitamin D has affected my hair, but I DEFINITELY get sick a LOT less often since starting to take 5000IU per day. I can be around very sick people and not catch what they have, while before, I was very prone to colds and flu.

My allergies have gotten better since I started taking them too. It makes me wonder how bad my deficiency was last year. I just got my results that I'm at 18.1 and I've been taking 2000 units a day in tablet form. Last year I got a nice call about having to go on therapy for 8 weeks. e.e

I don't know what to do at this point. gel caps. drops... how much more? I think I'll have to give S a quick call and get her advice. I just have to remember to call her. (She's my Doc's assistant.)

Ps: I didn't really bother to do any form of blood tests or even bother with a physical until I broke a molar... while eating rice. Yes. Rice. Simple, white sticky rice. So. Yeah. This stuff's serious.

Pierre
January 11th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Are there fish you're not allergic to? If so, buy the fish, ask the fishmonger to leave the innards in, and eat it that way.

I add a few grams of fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend to my food. Most CLO is processed in a way that destroys the vitamins, which are then added back, but FCLO still has all the natural variants of the vitamins.

KwaveT
January 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I had a customer come through my line one day and she had Vitamin D level that was single digit. She told me that she has not had a haircut in five years since it has not grown and brittle nails. She had mid-back length hair. I told her that D deficiency is most definitely part of her problem. She was considering not even doing Vitamin D despite deficiency since she knew nothing about the effects of low Vitamin D.