PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hair safe from babies

Lilli
June 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM
My 4th child is 8 months old and he loves to rip at my hair. None of the other ones did it so much. Wearing it up doesn't help, either, b/c then he grabs it by the root and then it is getting pulled from the scalp and from the updo or ponytail. I don't know if there is any solution other than to wait out this stage, but maybe someone here can commiserate.

ladyfey
June 4th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I remember that! My kids are 2 now, still pull at it sometimes, even though it is always up. I just remove their hands and tell them not to pull mommy's hair. That seems to work after some repetition. Now at 2 years, my bigger problem is that will pull out hairsticks if they look very interesting! Good luck, it does get easier! :)

SheaLynne
June 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I agree with ladyfey. The best tactic is to teach them it is off limits. You can do that however you prefer with your parenting style, but having a clear instruction such as ladyfey's and even following up with putting the baby down/elsewhere so he learns that if he pulls hair, he won't get to stay there is effective. Just be consistent about it.

And <ouch!>...hope you find the solution soon!

Lilli
June 5th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I agree with ladyfey. The best tactic is to teach them it is off limits. You can do that however you prefer with your parenting style, but having a clear instruction such as ladyfey's and even following up with putting the baby down/elsewhere so he learns that if he pulls hair, he won't get to stay there is effective. Just be consistent about it.

And <ouch!>...hope you find the solution soon!

So treat it like biting the boob, then. That makes sense.

bunzfan
June 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM
My youngest who is nearly 2 is the same, so i just always wear it up and that stops them.

spitfire511
June 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
That's what I've had to do as well - DS is 21 months and sometimes touches gently - which I don't mind as it's still just SL and doesn't tangle easily - but then sometimes he grabs a handful especially if I have it up. If he does this while we're just sitting snuggling on the couch, he gets picked up and moved to the other end of the couch with a stern "No!" It seems to be working as he does it less and less, but he sure does still try now and again just to see if he's going to get away with it!

PianoPlaye
June 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Oh yes - I remember that stage, and all three tried it... The little dears used my braid as a handle to help them stand upright.

Two things - teach them carefully that there are other things to use, like chairs, tables, the dog, trouser legs etc and that your hair is NOT the right choice. :taz:
The other is that it is a phase that they do grow out of. Not blinking fast enough when the blighters are hauling away, giggling, but it really is such a short time overall that it can be survived.
Then, as has already been rightly observed, they move onto hairsticks etc...