PDA

View Full Version : What do you usually do with your hair after washing & drying ?

ReadHeadGirl
June 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Actually Saturdays ,in our house it is always the once a week hair washing day for me and my sister ,so its nice and clean for Sunday church. After washing and drying, mom parts the hair in half,brushes it very neatly and we both get regular twin braids (rather tight ones) with the braiding starting right at the top of each ear . At nighttime, we have our hair undone,brushed very well and then put into a single ,loose braid for bedtime.

How do you like to style your hair after washing ?

HairColoredHair
June 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I wash, twist it in the towel until I can put it up into a bun (yes, pretty much wet). I take it down later when it's closer to dry and let it actually finish drying, but it helps my ends take up some moisture.

selderon
June 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
If I can, I wear my hair loose until it is 90% dry. After that, it usually gets put up in a roll or a twist of some sort so I will stop messing with it. Eventually it will be long enough to bun, but I suspect I won't be able to do that until BSL or so.

I'm curious why your mom braids your hair. Is it a social thing (like mom and daughter bonding time), a cultural thing or something else? I think it is lovely that you can share this with your mom.

Annibelle
June 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
After washing, which I usually do at night, I comb my hair wet because otherwise it will dry with random waves-- not pretty ones, mind you-- ones that make me look like I have tumors under the hair in some spots. :( After it dries, I lightly oil with jojoba and then go to sleep with it loose. Other nights, I will braid it before bed, but I like to keep it straight for as long as possible after a wash. Braiding it on other nights won't make it much wavier, but it'll be a fluffy mess in the morning if I braid it the night of a wash-- even if it's dry.

Animae
June 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I towel dry and then comb my leave ins in and the put it up in a bun.

ReadHeadGirl
June 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
If I can, I wear my hair loose until it is 90% dry. After that, it usually gets put up in a roll or a twist of some sort so I will stop messing with it. Eventually it will be long enough to bun, but I suspect I won't be able to do that until BSL or so.

I'm curious why your mom braids your hair. Is it a social thing (like mom and daughter bonding time), a cultural thing or something else? I think it is lovely that you can share this with your mom.

We are from a religious community called Mennonite Christians (similar to Amish but not so strict, I mean we have cars for example) so because of our biblical beliefs, in our community girls and women wear long hair, younger girls and teens usually in braids,and married women hair up in a bun covered with a bonnet,etc. So that is why our mothers spend quite some time doing daughters hair, I am 16 and many times she still does mine :-) especially for school

Looking something like this , I found this pic:

http://motherjones.com/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/photoessays/06_20091004_305_mv2_017.jpg

shikara
June 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
That is such a lovely picture, RedHeadGirl - thank you for posting it!!! After my hair is washed, I put it in an updo. I used to wear a braid a lot, but it gets in the way too much now. I do wear one or two braids to bed though, and I roll up the tassel into a curler.

RubyEmpress
June 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I usually wash and comb out my hair then let it air dry till about 95% dry. Then for bed I will either braid it in a single braid, high cinnamon bun held with scrunchie, sock bun (for pretty curls in the morning), or let it lay loose over my satin pillowcase.

Scarlet_Heart
June 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I tshirt dry, horn comb, rub in some oil du jour (on length and ends), comb again, and then braid it if I'm going to sleep or bun it if I'm not.

Madora
June 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
After it's airdried and thoroughly detangled, it is braided loosely and coiled in a bun on top of my head.

If I'm going out, it'll be lace English braided around my head.

long&blonde
June 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Beautiful picture, Readhead Girl, I agree. Your hair and your dress are both beautiful.

allnight avenue
June 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I like to have my roommate French-braid it (or do it myself, poorly) while it's still wet, sleep on it, and then have waves the next day. Otherwise I let it air dry and keep it down. Lately I've started doing 4-5 pin curls around my forehead so that those bits get curlier. It's inspired by this: http://www.youtube.com/user/gossgirl2#p/u/13/2r9TzENTwHM Someday I'll be able to do the whole hairstyle...

squiggyflop
June 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM
after washing i wear it in a braid.. then at some point it becomes a bun.. then it stays a bun basically until it gets washed again.. and i wear basically the same boring bee butt elastic bun every day.. if its not broken dont fix it i say..

on a side note i think its nice your mom does your hair still.. my mom moved across the country so i never see her.. so i have to always do my own hair.. mom didnt like doing my hair anyway.. it took away from her drinking time i think.. thats why she chopped all my hair off when i was little.. i looked like a boy for a while because of this.. it didnt help that i had to wear my brothers hand me downs.. so i was dressed as a boy too.. but i do remember mom liked to sit and scratch my scalp a lot with a fine tooth comb.. it felt nice.. i kinda wish i could sit and have her do it again..

anyway.. yeah i dont wear my hair down a lot.. so basically as soon as its dry or even just damp, it goes back up

KittyLost
June 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I squeeze the excess water out, wrap it in a towel for 10minutes. I spray with Aussie Miracle Leave-In Insurence and finger comb then clip my fringe to the side and if I'm in a rush clip it in a french twist until I can leave it down to dry at home or just leave it down to dry and then do a french twist when I have to leave the house.

Sometimes I get it braided in two pigtail braids on either side of my head but when it drys it because too wild to do anything other than another awful looking braid.

Safira
June 5th, 2011, 02:52 AM
When hair is wet, I put some leave-in and oil mix. Then I wrap my hair in towel and wait couple of minutes. After that I let hair air-dry and at some point, I bun it.

It was a lovely picture and I think itīs nice that your mom does your hair. I wish my mom would also.

CrystalStar
June 5th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I wrap my hair in a towel until it's partially dry, comb out, and leave to dry. After that it's a bun or a braid!

|Xei
June 5th, 2011, 04:34 AM
After washing, I wrap my hair up in a towel, and proceed to put on make-up/get dressed/eat breakfast...just something to occupy my time with so the towel has a chance to soak up most of the water.
Afterwards, I'd detangle, apply leave-in, comb again to distribute the product and organize my hair into its usual parting.
Then I've leave it to air dry, and while it's drying, I'd occasionally run my fingers through it to loosen up some clumpy, wet strands.

I wear my hair down most of the time, so usually I'd just leave it as it is after it dries completely. Occasionally, if I'm going out with friends, I might set my hair in some way.

PianoPlaye
June 5th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm leaning to let my hair dry loose then braid it only 10% damp so I can sleep on it. Sure, braidwaves next day, but since it lives braided mostly, no serious harm.

I wish my mum would help me with my hair, but we don't see each other often enough. I did persuade her to let me do her hair one Christmas - she was startled that I could French braid at all let alone add tinsel & baubles. She liked it more after I took the baubles out, as she could just lean back in a chair! :)
She raised us all as shorthairs, but we've since all grown to APL minimum before settling on styles we can live with.

Aveyronnaise
June 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Lately , I have been oiling while mostly damp , and then doing twin french braids. That's about it , although I just leave it down if I want it to be it's usual straight texture.