PDA

View Full Version : How much length is needed for these updos?

Jcv-Shelley
June 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
My hair is not anywhere close where I want it to be right now, (but I won't lose hope!). I'm itchin to know when I can do some of these hairstyles. I know some of them take a a whole bunch of hair, but I wonder if anyone has snuck away with some of these an inch too short or so. (If so, how did you do it?). It would also help me picture how many years it would take to do these if I had a guide-line of some sort; sorry if this is considered boring to you. :rolleyes: Here goes:
1 ) Celtic Bun
2 ) Woven Bun
3 ) Sock Bun
4 ) Japanese Bun
5 ) Gibson Tuck
6 ) Rose Bun
7 ) Looped Knot
8 ) Hair Knot
9 ) Braid Flip
10 ) Chinese Bun
11 ) Braided Bun

I hope that's not too long :p

Thanks a whole bunch :D

WaterMusic
June 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't know for most of them, but I think you should be able to do a Gibson tuck now, at shoulder length. Give it a try!

bunzfan
June 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
You might be able to do a sock bun at shoulder length, i was able to just about do a Chinese bun and braided bun between APL-BSL, rose bun at BSL and you should be able to do a Gibson tuck to.

Joribear
June 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Another vote for the Gibson tuck!

torrilin
June 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
5 ) Gibson Tuck

Probably doable now. This is an updo that IMO lends itself well to thick hair. My hair is too fine and slippery for this one to work in the usual way. Around classic I might have enough length to use Emichee's method.

6 ) Rose Bun

Most rose buns are done with a ponytail base and 2-3 rope braids. Because of this, they should be doable a bit before you can do a solid cinnabun. However, with your thickness that might not be til past APL anyway. The more rope braids you use, the shorter your hair can be, because more braids mean you get more use out of your length.

8 ) Hair Knot

I'm a ii and can barely do one at BSL. Now that my hair is elbow length, it's pretty doable. So as a iii, you're looking at needing at least waist to make it happen. It may be possible that you can do an Aphrodite or Venus Knot with much less hair - tho I'm not sure a iii will necessarily have enough length at APL. It basically involves tying pigtails into a square knot and then arranging the ends prettily. Good style for curly hair or thick hair, because the pigtails mean it doesn't need a ton of length.

11 ) Braided Bun

I can technically do one now, if I base it off a braided ponytail and I don't mind it being messy and showing the braid's tuft. I need probably 3-6" more length to make a nice looking braided bun whereever I want on my head. I'm around 32" now, so maybe in a year or two.

IME, most of the intricate buns don't really open up until past BSL on a ii. The i thickness women seem to get the best deal for intricate, since a lot of the pretty stuff opens up for them by BSL. If intricate updos really float your boat, it might be worth considering a longer goal length.

KittyLost
June 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I could do a fully rolled sock bun at shoulder. There's pictures in my album.

Madora
June 4th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Chinese bun: at least waist (to give the full effect of wrapping around the sticks.

Braided bun: Well, a little below mid back. How it actually LOOKS will depend on the thickness of your hair.

Also, instead of just putting one braid in a coil to form the bun, try dividing the ponytail in TWO sections, braid each section and secure each braid w/hair friendly band.

Take one braid and wind it CLOCKWISE up and around the ponytail holder.

Take the remaining braid and wind it COUNTERCLOCKWISE up and around the braid already pinned in place.

Pin the braid in place with CRIMPED hairpins. (Do the pinning in a "weaving motion - in and out..or up and down. Pins just "stick in straight into the bun" tend to fall out easily!)

SPECIAL NOTE! To hide the ponytail holder when you're starting, take a small sliver of hair from the ponytail, and wrap it loosely around the ponytail holder, pinning with small crimped hairpins. Then proceed as outlined above.

This 2 braid bun system distributes the hair more comfortably and holds like a rock.

ROSE BUNS require a lot more hair...at least 3 feet -- to look really nice (the twining you do for this style will eat up a bit of length)

SOCK BUNS and GIBSON TUCKS I think would be ideal for hair that is armpit length.

Also a FRENCH TWIST is relatively easier to do with armpit or shorter hair.

xoerincolleen
June 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
You're going to have a hard time with some of the buns because of thickness- my longest layers are at waist right now, and I can't do a nice-looking rose bun or braided bun yet. Sectioning the hair into 2 braids makes it easier, but then the layering (on my hair, at least) makes it difficult to do without pieces sticking out. However, the sock bun and Gibson tuck are definitely do-able at shoulder length!

Lianna
June 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I can only say I did a sock bun with a layered bob (layers from chin to neck). Using a scrunchie helps to tuck the ends.

Scarlet_Heart
June 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Yep I agree you can most likely do a sock bun. Also, I suggest you enjoy being able to do a french twist before your hair gets too long! It's my favorite way to wear my hair, but as my hair gets longer it gets more and more difficult.

SheaLynne
June 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I agree with all of the above, but thought I would add that many of the woe's of thick hair are discussed in the thread for thick hair http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020

I found LHC out of frustration of never being able to do updos that my long-hair styling book showed...only to learn when I got here that due to the thickness, I would have to have alot more length than I ever thought!

I was waist or longer before I could do most of those to look very good, but as others have said sock buns and Gibson tucks are actually better with less length. I'd say between waist and hip most of those became options for me.

Good luck!