PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut it?

JadeTigress
June 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I have a dilemma. I've been trying to get my layers even for forever it seems. And I'm actually fairly close. I've been trying to figure out whether I should cut my hair and make it even or leave it be. I havn't had a trim since January, so I could stand to atleast do that much. Right now it's a couple inches from APL, and I'm so glad to finally be past shoulder length. But if I cut it back to shoulder again, all my layers will finally be the same length (or close enough). I don't know what to do. Sigh. What do you guys think?

Here's pictures from a moment ago. Sorry for the no make-up and everything. Today's Saturday, and I'm just being a bum.

Here's my how short my shortest layer is, which is what used to be bangs on either side of my head. Everything else but those bangs is pretty much the same length.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/JadeTigress/002-2.jpg

And here's the length from the back. The bottom line is how long my hair is, and the top line is about where it would be if I cut it.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/JadeTigress/003-1.jpg

alwayssmiling
June 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I guess its up to you, but for me shoulder length hair was the toughest stage as it all went a bit triangular without heatstyling. If it were me (which it isn't) I would be doing maintenance trims whilst the layers catch up. Our hair looks the same length and it has taken me 18months from chin, I couldn't bear to loose my length now. Good luck whatever you decided. It looks very healthy btw.

torrilin
June 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
That's not enough layering to be a real pain in the ass. Leave it. By BSL it'll be a hardly noticeable U shaped hemline if you go the regular trims route. And well, it looks like you're within spitting distance of braid and ponytail length, if you're not there already. Definitely at French braid length. Having styling options will mean getting to BSL will suck *soooooo* much less.

christine1989
June 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I would vote no. The layers are not bad at all- they actually add a lot of volume to your hair. It looks really heathy as is so I would let it be.

Kathie
June 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I think it will look great as it grows out. Just, like trorrilin said, you'll get a nice U-shaped hemline. I guess if you like these or not will be a deciding factor about whether your cut or not :shrug:

JadeTigress
June 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
It doesn't matter to me what shape my hemline is (to an extent), as long as my hair is super long. :p

Regular trimming it is. Thanks for the input, everyone. That's the route I was thinking about going originally, but then my fiance had to chime in and was all, "But if you just cut that bit off, you won't even have to think about it again." Darn man, making me second guess myself. :p

motormuffin
June 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think it looks fine...I'd let it go.

Yozhik
June 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Don't listen to your boy -- I'm guessing he doesn't know how frustrating it is to lose that much length and not be able to do certain styles!

I also think it will look great growing out, and develop into a pretty U-hemline. :)

Slinks
June 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
pffft !! what do bf's know anyway .. lol, I to would let it go and just do mirco trims to keep the ends healthy

Madora
June 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I vote for an even hairline. That way, you can properly monitor its growth and trim when it needs it.

If your hair was comprised of different lengths, then you'd always be battling splits here and there and not being able to trim as correctly as if it was all one length.

Also, once you gain enough length, you can begin to practice putting your hair in updos, and braiding. When your hair is one length, it sure is a LOT easier to care for..in more ways than one!!

curlymarcia
June 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
You hair looks nice. With small regular trims the layers will gone and it will be not drastic as loosing a lot of length in one trim. I avoid the big chops, why cutting healthy hair when I can microtrim.

Qwackie
June 4th, 2011, 03:31 PM
That's pretty much how my hair is now, except my layers are chin length. I'm going to cut out the layers of mine once I reach my goal, then regrow what I cut off.
What you could do is take a lot of care of the layered parts and trim only the longer part until the layers are the same length.

MonaLisa
June 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I vote no!
Layers look nice, especially at this length, they create some kind of style... you can always even them up little by little while having regular trims, by taking slightly bit more from longest layer...once you're at lets say, waist length they should be gone..
or you can always even it all up when you decide, but at the moment, i think it looks better this way, rather than all even at shoulder length :)

littlenvy
June 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I would vote no. Your hair is not that long and the layers are long enough to blend in. Besides, hair does not grow at the same rate so I would wait for another 6 months and then see how things look. :)

elbow chic
June 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Another vote for heck no. I have some leftover layers that I am coming to appreciate at BSL-- if I had all-one-length APL hair it would be neither easy to put up nor attractive down. You may come to like the bit of taper the layering provides. :)

alyanna
June 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I vote for no cutting too.

The pictures you posted aren't that clear, but from what I can see, your hair seems healthy, so it's not like you need the cut. Plus, shoulder length to APL is NOT a fun place to be. I would definitely not want to repeat the experience unless I had to.

I'd wait until you were at BSL then reassess.

JadeTigress
June 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I'd thought chin to shoulder was bad. Once I hit shoulder, I was like, "Yay, smooth sailing from here!"

I've never been more wrong in my life. This shoulder to APL thing is terrible.

Also, on a different note, thanks for the hair compliments, people. :) I'm trying to grow out damage and have all virgin hair, I think it's grown out to somewhere around my ears at this point. I'd been dying it for years, and then in not long of a time span, I'd gotten highlights two or three times, permed and relaxed it twice, and continued dying it. So having people say my hair looks healthy is awesome.

Lianna
June 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'd grow the shortest layers to APL, since it's a much easier length to maintain a blunt cut.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I also vote don't cut. Your hair looks really great as it is. And not all that layered. Or, at least, they blend together well.

dulce
June 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM
As your hair grows longer a lot of the layers blend in and don't show as much.My shortest layers are now apl length and my longest closest to waist,I faced the same decision as you and in the end, opted to keep my length and continue growing to tailbone or so, then will trim regularly , till it's all one length.One benefit of not cutting is with more length you have so much more style options.In the end you do what makes you feel best,all I can say is my layers look better and better as they and the rest of my hair continue to grow.At least this has been my experience.

Alex Lou
June 4th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I say don't cut. The layers look fine and will look like a smaller and smaller difference from the rest of your hair as it grows out. They will probably be flattering. Unless you know that you look better with a blunt cut.

TheMechaGinger
June 5th, 2011, 12:35 AM
How crazy is that my hair looks exactly the same right now. Mine was past apl and i cut up to that point to get rid of most of the layers but my shortest is still at shoulder. I decided to leave mine alone and cut it even when it got longer, that way the loss of length won't be as apparent to me

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I concur with the others who say don't cut ;) If you had longest layers at BSL or something and wanted to cut them out, then I'd be more inclined to say "go for it!" but shoulder length isn't so fun, and often does get a real triangular look without layers!

You are better off just regularly trimming your hair. Honestly, I had layers a couple of years ago and I sort of grew them out without really thinking about it. When I had them trimmed at the hairdresser's I just said to ignore the layers...and now I'm self trimming...and as far as I can see I don't have layers at all anymore! AND my hair has grown from about APL to almost waist in the time since I had my layers cut in (errm let me think... about 2 years ago?!). So I've managed to gain length and cut out my layers without ever having to go for a major chop!

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't cut back to shoulder but what i would recommend is trimming 1/2" every 8 weeks, eventually the layers will catch up. I am not a fan of layers with my hair type as it makes it look scraggly on me but I can think of a few people on here who totally look awesome with them.

beccababesx
June 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I vote for either cut all the layers out, or cut half, and do the other half when you reach this length again. I was in the same situation and was planning on slowly trimming, but I just hated my layers so much I ended up cutting half off. I still have some left, but my length isn't too short so I can handle it. I'll cut the rest off when it grows back.
It's your decision, but I just personally hated layers so much that I had to cut them off. I do feel so much better for it :)

woolyleprechaun
June 6th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Im sort of in the same boat. I HATE HATE HATE the shoulderlength stage, it seems to last forever for me, and go all poofy and 80s waterfall shape....so for that reason alone, I personaly wouldnt cut. Your hair looks beautiful and healthy too, so i say grow for it! Im not cutting now until i have at least another couple of inches, just to steer well clear of the shoulder/APL no-mans land.

Nymphea
June 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It's up to you, but I think you don't need to cut right now. Your hair looks healthy, so I guess the splits will not occur for some time in the future. In the meantime you can trim a little more often, just to catch up the length, which will come to a blunt hemline, don't worry, and you'll maintain your length.

So I say - don't cut!

Tressie
June 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm with the NO vote! (o: I think your hair looks fine, and as others have said the layers seem to blend in well. You can always do micro self-trims later.

One reason I voted against the chop is that some folks find that their canopy grows more slowly than the under hair, and this leads to a somewhat layered look anyway, so I say let it go and see what happens. As it gets longer, I don't think you'll be so bothered by the layers.

Now, that said, it's your hair, and if you think you'd be happier with a blunt hem at this point....go ahead. But, be sure it's your decision. :flower:

growingpains
June 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Glad you seem to be deciding to keep growing! I think cutting all to one length would be a mistake. It looks great as is, nice shape to it. I worry it you cut all to to one length it'll be too short to weigh it down and the triangle head would ensue. Then, unlike your fiance seems to think, you would be thinking about your hair more, as it would be hard to wear down and to short to properly put up and forget.

Looks great as is. Happy growing!

JadeTigress
June 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Glad you seem to be deciding to keep growing! I think cutting all to one length would be a mistake. It looks great as is, nice shape to it. I worry it you cut all to to one length it'll be too short to weigh it down and the triangle head would ensue. Then, unlike your fiance seems to think, you would be thinking about your hair more, as it would be hard to wear down and to short to properly put up and forget.

Looks great as is. Happy growing!

Exactly. :p That's why I hated chin-shoulder with a passion; my hair did the triangle thing horribly. Once it got to shoulder, it finally started to tame down a bit. But if I'm ever forced to have a major chop (I don't know what would force me to do that...death threat maybe?), I refuse to cut above shoulder length ever again.

mizsunshyne
June 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I had a similar problem, except my hair looked bad in the back. Anyway, what I did was wait until it just hit BSL and cut the bigest layer away. Then I changed the front up with bangs and it looks so much better. I'd say wait a few more months and then get it cleaned up. That way it won't be as drastic and you'll feel alot better.

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I vote no because i have been just were you are and once my hair got to BSL my layers didn't bother me anymore. My layers are APL now and if i were all one length i know i would cry and miss the length terribly.

I was going to trim all one length once i got to waist but now i'm wondering should i just carry on seeing all these long hairs on here is making me change my mind:D

I actually found APL the hardest growth stage due to my layers if it makes you feel any better.