PDA

View Full Version : Thinking I need to Re-Type my hair... Help, Please? (Pic Heavy!)

Joribear
June 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I've been giving my hair typing a lot of thought lately and I think I got it wrong! I don't think I qualify as an actual curly, but I have noticed my hair has "curly tendencies." Case in point - bun curls. I see a lot of pics of bun curls and compare to mine, other people's are waves more than curls.

Here's a pic of my hair after dry bunning (yep, no wetness to my hair at all when I put it up that morning):

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/0502112059.jpg
(I apologize for the blurriness - it was taken with my cell phone.)

Here's a pic of me with damp-bun curls:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/0509112023.jpg
(again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic!)

So this morning, I woke up early and decided to try for a hair type photo-shoot again. The last time I did it, I got bored and fell asleep before my hair was completely dry - whoops!

I clarified with BS and followed with an ACV rinse. I didn't finger comb, comb, brush, tangle teeze (*sob* I wanted to, so, so badly!). Here it is sopping wet, 45 seconds out of the shower (had to use my sons' bathroom, as my mirror was fogged up!)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1337.jpg

15 minutes or so into drying time:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1364.jpg

About an hour into drying time:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1373.jpg

About two hours:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1404.jpg

Three hours:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1415.jpg

And four hours later, about 98% dry. The only "touching" I did was to tuck my hair behind my ears, because it annoys me when it gets in my face!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1438.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1446.jpg

So, opinions? Any and all help is gratefully needed and appreciated! My normal routine is CO wash with EVOO and Coconut oil on the ends. I don't use gel, mousse or hairspray, but I'm beginning to think maybe I need to start some of the CG methods of gel/curl creme and plopping??

C.H.
June 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
It's pretty amazing what your hair does in a bun, but having seen how it looks unmanipulated, I would definitely call it wavy.

I'm curious, once it's dried with the natural waves as show in the last picture, what happens when you comb or brush it? Does it poof, loosen the waves, or?

GingerSnapO
June 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty new this whole hair typing thing myself, so I"d take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd say you're way beyond a 1c into the way 2's. 2b? 2c? I love the bun curls you get! Just gorgeous!

pepperminttea
June 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I reckon 2a/b. The short layers are throwing me off a bit. It'll be interesting to see how your waves behave if you're going for more length. :)

jaine
June 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm gravitating towards 2b but also curious to see how it behaves with more length.

The straight part at the top could just be the weight of your hair pulling that part of it straight as it dries ... my hair does that too if I leave it alone after a shower.

torrilin
June 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm seeing hints of corkscrews, particularly on the left side. I don't *think* the layers you have are doing your waves any favors. Good layers often help out curly hair, but I'm kind of dubious that this is the best that can be done with what's there. Right now I'm leaning towards 2b/2c due to the hints of corkscrews paired with large S waves. It may be that with curl friendly styling and hair care you're more a 2c/3a and you can get large corkscrews with some large waves.

Definitely not a 1 anything.

Joribear
June 4th, 2011, 02:00 PM
It's pretty amazing what your hair does in a bun, but having seen how it looks unmanipulated, I would definitely call it wavy.

I'm curious, once it's dried with the natural waves as show in the last picture, what happens when you comb or brush it? Does it poof, loosen the waves, or?

It poofs, gets lots of flyaways and the waves almost disappear. :( I went ahead and took a couple pics of it brushed, but after I put some oil in my hair, so take it as it is! :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1459-2.jpg

I'm pretty new this whole hair typing thing myself, so I"d take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd say you're way beyond a 1c into the way 2's. 2b? 2c? I love the bun curls you get! Just gorgeous!
Thank you! :) I imagine if I used some kind of styling product, they might even last long enough for me to wear my hair out like that! As it is, between the no product and DS15 & DS12 rushing to play with my hair as soon as it's down, the curls don't stick around for long! :lol:

I reckon 2a/b. The short layers are throwing me off a bit. It'll be interesting to see how your waves behave if you're going for more length. :)

I'm seeing hints of corkscrews, particularly on the left side. I don't *think* the layers you have are doing your waves any favors. Good layers often help out curly hair, but I'm kind of dubious that this is the best that can be done with what's there. Right now I'm leaning towards 2b/2c due to the hints of corkscrews paired with large S waves. It may be that with curl friendly styling and hair care you're more a 2c/3a and you can get large corkscrews with some large waves.

Definitely not a 1 anything.

I'm trying to grow the layers out. I had them put in over two years ago, back in the time of SLS Shampoos, coney conditioner and no oil. One of these days, I think I'll actually do some of the CG methods and see how my hair re-acts; it'll be interesting to see what happens. I know my nape hair, which is never put up (cuz they're so short!) are definite corkscrew curls. They make me giggle when I see them!

C.H.
June 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think it looks nice brushed out!

Quixii
June 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I love your wavey-curls. I'd go with 2b, maybe 2c. :) (Definitely not 1c!)

lapushka
June 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking 2a, possibly 2b.

Rocket22
June 4th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I would say more of a 2a I think 2b would be smaller waves like braid waves and 2c would have some ringlets in there. (I have what I would call 2b in my album)

ETA: Hey I just noticed you had some ringlets in there humm now not to sure you are 2a/2c is there such a thing :)

alyanna
June 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Oh I love you hair! So pretty *sigh*

I vote 2a too.

Joribear
June 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I would say more of a 2a I think 2b would be smaller waves like braid waves and 2c would have some ringlets in there. (I have what I would call 2b in my album)

ETA: Hey I just noticed you had some ringlets in there humm now not to sure you are 2a/2c is there such a thing :)

LOL That just made me laugh! My hair type is like my hair length - chin, shoulder, APL, BSL, almost waist....

Oh I love you hair! So pretty *sigh*

I vote 2a too.

Thank you!

As a side note, I actually bought some-other-than-conditioner-or-oil hair products today (Tresemme Flwaless Curls mousse, HE Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel and Pantene Curl Shaping Gel) {D-A-N-G it!! I missed the Dimethicone in the Pantene gel! Guess what's going back to the store tomorrow???} so I'm going to try, I think, the Herbal Essences gel tomorrow with some t-shirt plopping and see what happens. :shrug: I figure if it looks bad, I can always wash it again! :)

dragonmyst
June 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Everyone else has pretty much answered but I thought I would just say..... ***gushes** OMG your hair is gorgeous!

:D

pixiestar
June 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM
You have gorgeous hair:D
At the mo I think you maybe 2a/2b but when you start cg method I think maybe 2c/3a:D

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
It looks like 2b/2c to me. Very pretty waves. :D

OneCurlyMan
June 5th, 2011, 12:29 AM
IMO, your hair falls within the spectrum of curly, because I consider wavy part of the spectrum of curly.

Remember to ALWAYS classify your hair by looking at the ends and NOT the hair closest to the root. The latter has to resist the weight of the hair hence it is in a permanent straightened position and does not provide a realistic image of the shape of your hair.

Personally, I have my own hair classification system and by looking at the last fifth of your hair, I can clearly see that you have wavy hair, thus curly hair.

Beautiful hair by the way.

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I will go with a 2a/2b... as your hair has layers, I really think that brings out the waves, which is why I'd say 2a... because I think if your layers were all grown out it would be more 2a than 2b/2c (that is what I THINK...I could be wrong though). When I look at it, most of the waviness is in the layered regions more so than higher up.

So yeah, I'd go with a 2a/2b, bearing in mind that different parts of your hair do different things. I call myself a 2a, but I have parts underneath that form actual curls and are probably at least a 2c, but I also have bits that are reasonably straight and possibly closer to 1c...so I go with 2a and leave it at that! However, I don't have layers anymore so a lot more wave gets "stretched" I think.

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Id say your a 2a, damp bunning makes hair curlier but looking at your natural untouched photos I think the layers sort of make it difficult to type. I see waves but not defined curls. Possible 2b as it gets to one length, if your going for that:D

Your hair is very pretty btw

Joribear
June 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
*gushes* Thanks everyone for the compliments on my hair. :inlove: We don't always get along and most days I just want to beat it into submission :whip:, so reading other people (besides my sons) compliment me on my hair gives me strength!

I am planning on growing out my layers, just worried about how much length I'll have to sacrifice to get it all one length again. My goal is Terminal, which I'm hoping :pray: is around mid thigh or longer on me.

I tried some CG methods today. I did my normal CO wash, ACV rinse, jojoba oil, followed by coconut oil. Then I added some of the HE curl gel and plopped/plunked my hair for about an hour.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1462.jpg

Definitely more waves in there than normal.

I was going to try and let it just hang down and air dry, but I had shopping to do and the heat + humidity + heavy hair was just too much for me, so I threw it all up into a pencil bun.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1468.jpg
(sloppy, yes, but kept me cooler which is a higher priority for me!)

My hair was completely dry when I put it up, just a little sweaty...

And here's what it looked like down:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1474.jpg

I'm going to try, probably next Sunday since my sons will be away with Boy Scouts, to do the CG method again, but this time I'll stay in the nice, air conditioned house! :D

My hair felt, hmm, odd, with the CG method, so after I was home and had taken the pics, I grabbed my TT and went to work on my hair! I can't decide if leaving my hair untouched or leaving it down is going to be the hardest thing about the CG method for me. I always wear my hair up (last time it was down was for my niece's baptism, almost 3 years ago) until I get home. Once I'm home and the hair is down, I play with it, so there goes that, too!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1497.jpg

luthein
June 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'd say 2b/c because you have very loose corkscrews in some areas.

Issmene
June 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Your hair looks a lot like mine (wet, air dried and brushed!). We could be hair twins. This actually makes me want to try co-washing again xD It looks good. Anyways, I think your a 2b, the ends are pretty wavy, but not curly :P

Joribear
June 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Your hair looks a lot like mine (wet, air dried and brushed!). We could be hair twins. This actually makes me want to try co-washing again xD It looks good. Anyways, I think your a 2b, the ends are pretty wavy, but not curly :P

Oh, oh, oh! We can be hair buddies! :D

MissCoco
June 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Looks a solid (and very pretty ;)) 2b to me! It's just capable of turning into a 2b/2c or even 2c with some manipulation, but otherwise I think it's 2b by nature. Lovely, anyhow! :flower:

snakewitch
June 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
2c/3a, but I'm not very used to this classification system. Nothing less than a 2c because anything less than that has no curls but only strong waves.

Sanyia
June 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I would say 2b/2c. It looks lovely!

88Marisa
June 11th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Well whatever type it actually is, it looks a LOT like my hair did before I started CG-friendly methods. (Similar body and layers even). Assuming it behaves the same way, I'll give you some pointers from my experience...

I tried BS and ACV rinses for a few months without a lot of success, so I would recommend you try other things. I did CO washing with cheap V05 for quite awhile (over a year), but it was always good but not great for my hair. I may have needed to use a leave-in but never found one I liked.

I actually had a lot of curl definition when using the Beautiful Curls shampoo and conditioner line of products (by Alaffia, Whole Foods carries it nationally). It's a great line if you are not as sensitive to product as me, although I only recommend their shampoo and conditioner (they have a couple different kinds, try the one for wavy hair first if you ever buy it), their other products in that line are not worth it, imo.

However, my scalp and skin is sensitive to even natural shampoos, so after I used up the Beautiful Curls shampoo, I started CO washing with their Everyday Shea conditioner instead, which is probably the best thing I've tried (but it's not cheap and I went through it fast.) Shea butter in general is my favorite oil for my skin, figures it does good things for my hair too. (I like coconut oil too, but not as much).

If you want to try for real curls, I would really recommend you try Kinky Curly gel for definition (although I recommend you dilute it and put in a spray bottle). I find plopping my hair is essential for maximum curls and the Kinky Curly gel is a bit too thick as is, but it works WONDERFULLY to get the curls to stick around. It's pricey but a little goes a long way, especially if you dilute it, which for your texture I'd recommend. You can find it at Whole Foods too.

My routine when I was going for curls is to CO wash, when still totally soaking wet, spray gel and scrunch into hair (don't fingercomb), then chunk out sections and twirl (try to keep your hair soaking wet as much as possible up to this point), then plop for over 30 minutes. If you have well defined waves in your wet hair, you may be able to skip the twirling and just plop it.

I find plopping takes a LONG time for my hair to get "mostly" dry, after that, you can diffuse it (heat damage though :( ) most of the rest of the way dry, or let it air dry. Do your best to not touch your hair at all until it is totally dry if you want the curls to stay.

Personally, for a variety of reasons, I am transitioning to water-only which is going good so far, but it is not (yet) doing anything particularly amazing for my curls. But I like my hair wavy too, so I'm enjoying it.

IanB
June 11th, 2011, 04:01 AM
It's looking great just as it is. Natural, bouncy and healthy

curlymarcia
June 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
It's like a 2b or 2c. Your waves are lovely!

spidermom
June 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM
It reminds me of my hair, which is 2C: mostly wavy with a few curls.

Joribear
July 9th, 2011, 07:35 PM
So a little after a month since I started CG and I have to say, life is good! A new hair typing might be in need here soon! :)

Fresh out of the shower, no product, no plopping, nada, clarified, conditioned, rinsed and out:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN0209.jpg

About 50% dry:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/0626111321.jpg

And fully dried:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/0626111326.jpg

I must say, I'm quite happy with the results of CG! :cheese: Just thought I'd post an update! :)

skraprchik
July 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My guess would be a 2b.

GingerSnapO
July 10th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Beautiful hair, Joribear! I'd say you're now 2c or even 3a, but I'm a straighty, so my opinion may not carry much weight.

ETA: I'm really impressed with how much your curl has come out since your first photos.

kamikaze hair
July 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Id put it at 2c, my hair can be alot like yours when it wants to be, with the curls, and yours appear to be natural, whether you just air dry it or bun it first. I love your hair by the way!

:cheese:PARTY PARTY PARTY!!!!! the cheese says PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jujube
July 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
2b/2c, at least in your CG pictures.

paintedhorse
August 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
im not sure on typing hair im new at it myself and often think iv miss typed my hair.. but your hair looks gorgeous

redcelticcurls
August 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'd say 2b or 2b/c. There isn't enough there for full on 2c, but there is a tad bit more waviness than a standard 2b. The 2b is stronger than the 2c, but there is a smidge of 2c.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
2b. That's definitely more than 2a! I'd even say 2c but I don't see the few ringlets that you're supposed to have with that texture (maybe they're underneath the hair somewhere).

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
WHOA supermodel hair!! Right out of the shower.

Joribear
August 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
im not sure on typing hair im new at it myself and often think iv miss typed my hair.. but your hair looks gorgeous
:blushing: Thank you!

I'd say 2b or 2b/c. There isn't enough there for full on 2c, but there is a tad bit more waviness than a standard 2b. The 2b is stronger than the 2c, but there is a smidge of 2c.

2b. That's definitely more than 2a! I'd even say 2c but I don't see the few ringlets that you're supposed to have with that texture (maybe they're underneath the hair somewhere).
Thanks for the input! There are spirals hiding underneath. My nape hairs spiral all day long and won't straighten/wave out if I beg them! Of course, those are baby hairs, no more than 2.5 inches long or so...

WHOA supermodel hair!! Right out of the shower.
*snort* Glad I wasn't drinking when I read this! Thanks! :)

The weather has been so hot and humid here lately I haven't worn my hair down probably since the last pics were taken!! I'll have to do it again sometime soon to see if there's any difference since the early July pics. :)

kylarosee
August 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Couldn't help with typing it, but it sure is lovely! My dream length and texture!!

Dragon Faery
August 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Can't help much with the typing, though you're looking to be in the 2b range to me in your first pictures. It looked absolutely gorgeous, and I admired it a lot.

That said, I oohed over your CG pictures. Stunning! There is a definite increase in spiraling when you do your hair that way, and I think it looks fabulous. I would guess 2c now, if there is such a thing, or 3a due to the tendency to spiral.

Regardless of type, it's beautiful. :)

Shany
August 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Your hair looks amazing with the CG method!!! I would say 2c/3a

DarkSky
August 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Your hair is absolutely amazing on CG and just left to air dry! Hope it's still going well for you. I'd say that you are a 2b/c maybe closer to 2c.

HintOfMint
August 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Solid 2b in my opinion. Gorgeous, though, particularly the color!

Charybdis
August 23rd, 2011, 02:29 AM
Your wave pattern looks a lot like my sister's -- I'd say 2b/2c. Very pretty!

lapushka
August 23rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the input! There are spirals hiding underneath. My nape hairs spiral all day long and won't straighten/wave out if I beg them! Of course, those are baby hairs, no more than 2.5 inches long or so...

I said 2b previously, but because of this, I'm going with 2c now. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, BTW! :D

hemolymph
August 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
You have such beautiful hair, lady! I love your natural waves.. absolutely stunning!

lapelosa
August 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Well whatever type it actually is, it looks a LOT like my hair did before I started CG-friendly methods. (Similar body and layers even). Assuming it behaves the same way, I'll give you some pointers from my experience...

I tried BS and ACV rinses for a few months without a lot of success, so I would recommend you try other things. I did CO washing with cheap V05 for quite awhile (over a year), but it was always good but not great for my hair. I may have needed to use a leave-in but never found one I liked.

I actually had a lot of curl definition when using the Beautiful Curls shampoo and conditioner line of products (by Alaffia, Whole Foods carries it nationally). It's a great line if you are not as sensitive to product as me, although I only recommend their shampoo and conditioner (they have a couple different kinds, try the one for wavy hair first if you ever buy it), their other products in that line are not worth it, imo.

However, my scalp and skin is sensitive to even natural shampoos, so after I used up the Beautiful Curls shampoo, I started CO washing with their Everyday Shea conditioner instead, which is probably the best thing I've tried (but it's not cheap and I went through it fast.) Shea butter in general is my favorite oil for my skin, figures it does good things for my hair too. (I like coconut oil too, but not as much).

If you want to try for real curls, I would really recommend you try Kinky Curly gel for definition (although I recommend you dilute it and put in a spray bottle). I find plopping my hair is essential for maximum curls and the Kinky Curly gel is a bit too thick as is, but it works WONDERFULLY to get the curls to stick around. It's pricey but a little goes a long way, especially if you dilute it, which for your texture I'd recommend. You can find it at Whole Foods too.

My routine when I was going for curls is to CO wash, when still totally soaking wet, spray gel and scrunch into hair (don't fingercomb), then chunk out sections and twirl (try to keep your hair soaking wet as much as possible up to this point), then plop for over 30 minutes. If you have well defined waves in your wet hair, you may be able to skip the twirling and just plop it.

I find plopping takes a LONG time for my hair to get "mostly" dry, after that, you can diffuse it (heat damage though :( ) most of the rest of the way dry, or let it air dry. Do your best to not touch your hair at all until it is totally dry if you want the curls to stay.

Personally, for a variety of reasons, I am transitioning to water-only which is going good so far, but it is not (yet) doing anything particularly amazing for my curls. But I like my hair wavy too, so I'm enjoying it.
I'm reading these threads to try to get a handle on my own hair type, which is very wavy with some ringlets thrown in, so I'm probably a 2c.

What is plopping?

Joribear
August 29th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm reading these threads to try to get a handle on my own hair type, which is very wavy with some ringlets thrown in, so I'm probably a 2c.

What is plopping?

Plopping, I find, is a lot harder to explain via written word, but here's a good video to explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54bdlLwXnI
That said, thank you, again, everyone, for all the nice compliments! I'm still going strong with CG and getting friends hooked on it at the same time! LOL One day of wearing my hair down and people start questioning me how I did it! One friend (also now hooked on CG), called me a CO poster girl for how soft my hair is! Awww! :)

tinti
August 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hmmmm, I would say 2b, but then again I'm not too good at typing (but I'm slightly better typing others than myself because I have 2 different textures :p)