PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis B Vaccination and Alopecia

emma907
June 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have recently been diagnosed with (suspected) Alopecia Areata, I have a bald patch on my scalp about 1inch in diameter, I noticed this in Feb of this year.:(

I've been researching about Alopecia and hair loss and came across some research that says in some cases the Hep B vaccine has been known to trigger Alopecia. - I had the Hep B vaccine only weeks before my hair fell out

I was wondering in anyone here who has hair loss or Alopecia and also had a Hep B vaccine?:confused:

jojo
June 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
I have to vaccinated against hep B as I am a nurse but I have never had any issues with alopecia after having the jab.

skydancer7
June 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Same here: also hep B vaccinated with no hair loss. But, everyone reacts differently, so I could see it being possible.

Anje
June 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Can't say I had it either, when I got the vaccine. Then again, a lot of positive anecdotes don't mean that there isn't a connection.

CherrySilver
June 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Question emma907: did the person who "diagnosed" the alopecia make any recommendations for treatment? Did you tell them about your Hep B vaccine?

The Hep B vaccine has been known to cause hair loss via an autoimmune response to the drug. A simple google search will turn up reams of information on this topic. Whoever "diagnosed" you should have at least taken the time to do some very simple background research.

Hence, getting treatment for this can be challenging and depends on the level or knowledge and experience of the "professional" you're dealing with. You can go the traditional (trichologist) or alternative (TCM, naturopathy, etc.) route with this. Below is a link to a naturopathic board I found which has a thread on treatment of hair loss (including a post from someone who had the Hep B vaccine):

http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/1602/

Also, below is an article on hair loss and natural treatments:

http://www.drnandunne.com/?p=1053

Whatever the case is, don't waste your money and time with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Getting treatment is better than doing nothing, but just make sure it's by someone who's knowledgeable about your conditions and its causes.

Best of luck.

emma907
June 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
To: CherrySilver

No, In fact my GP is unsure exactly the cause, she's unsure if it could be fungal, but I have no other symptoms of that, she has sent a sample of hair away to be analysed but this can take 6+ weeks, and i was told to come back in august (6 months after symptoms appeared) if I have no improvement.

Everyone:

I was just really trying to see if i can find a reason, or link to what's happened, I know from my own research that Alopecia can be caused by no rhyme or reason.
Thanks for all your input. :)

DoubleCrowned
June 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Homeopathic physicians noted that vaccinations could cause permanent side-effects and illness about 200 years ago. Homeopathic veterinarians today see a definite connection between illnesses (including hair loss, which is quite common) and vaccinations. Those vets who are certified by ANHC are trained how to overcome vaccination damage using homeopathy.

Homeopathy can also undo the damage from the vaccination for people, but be certain you use only a classical homeopath if you decide to go that route. I can direct you to literature to help you find a homeopath if you are interested.

christine1989
June 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
I've never heard of that happening but I believe that there is a definite possibility you are right. I don't have alopecia and had no negative reaction to my hep B vaccine but I did get an autoimmune disease triggred by a drug (anesthesia during my wisdom tooth surgery). After a long while of having it I finally got it treated and cured :) only to have it re- triggred by a bad spider bite :(. My doctor confirmed that it is common for autoimmune disorders to arise due to a trigger. You may have had the genetic factors for alopecia just waiting dormat until something triggred it. Autoimmune diseases are an odd bunch and can show up out of the blue with no trigger but I think from what you have said and from my own experience, you have very good reason to believe the vaccine may be to blame. Well, what is done can't be undone but I hope your case is mild and treatment is effective. :flower:

Kleis
June 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've had the vaccination and I've had alopecia on and off for years. No correlation in my case. My alopecia is definitely stress-related. I've got my stress generally under a nice, peaceful control, so it's only the really rare awful event that will trigger it. I have chin-length regrowth from my last bout, which happened about 1.5 years ago.

Good luck with the regrowth! It'll happen. I've always found that coloring in the spot with dark eye-shadow and forgetting about it was the best treatment. Everything else (e.g., rogaine, cortisone shots, herbal oils massaged in) didn't seem to make any difference.

islandboo
June 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hmm - that's interesting. I had the vaccine about 15 ago but I also had my biggest thinning period around roughly that same time (although it is hard to remember exact dates from back then). I remember the horror of losing hanks of hair in the shower :( and I am still losing thickness, although the hair loss is not as dramatic now as it was then.