PDA

View Full Version : taming my halo

ashamanjababu
June 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
It's getting humid here and my halo is going crazy. I almost always wear my hair up, but all the little short hairs on top are sticking out in a hundred different directions, even when the length is not very frizzy.

Sometimes I apply a little gel to the top, after it's bunned, to smooth the halo, but usually only when I am really annoyed with it or when I have a specific need to make it look sleek, because I don't like to overuse the gel. But how else can I tame it?

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Coconut oil. Try a small amount first (put it in your palms, rub them together, then apply the palms down your hair). After you've tried it a bit, then you can determine just how much coconut oil to use to keep those flyaway hairs from bugging.

Aeltt
June 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
I use a baby brush after it's buned to tame the frizz :) (maybe a BBB would do the same, i don't know)

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I suggest using pure aloe vera gel (the clear kind) or a hair spray made with water and lemon juice (it can be a bit drying and lighten your hair in sunlight) or orange juice or beer. Good luck! :D

ETA: More info here: "Natural/Herbal" hairspray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54312&highlight=natural+hair+spray+lemon+orange)

PianoPlaye
June 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thank you!
My halo hairs are just long enough to bug the heck out of me & just too short to go into the main braid.
I must overcome my squeamishness about oil!

Sheltie_Momma
June 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Coconut oil doesn't help mine, then they are just sort of shiny while they wave about. I use something cone-y on wet hair.

IanB
June 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I think coconut oil is great - try Vatika

spidermom
June 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Coconut oil doesn't do a thing for my surface fluff, either. If I really want to have neat hair that day, I will wet my hands (it works better if I do), rub aloe vera gel or styling gel between my palms, then smooth my palms over the top of my hair after it's styled. That gets most of them down, but I have a few very wirey, stubborn hairs that insist on sticking up, so then I get out the Natures Gate Styling Putty, stroke one finger over the surface of the product in the jar, then individually over each little hair that is standing at attention. Sometimes it takes 2 or more applications to get particularly stubborn hairs to lie down, but still - a little styling putty goes a L O N G way.

Anje
June 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Coconut oil isn't enough to weigh mine down. I don't usually bother with them, but the shea butter conditioning cream seems to do the trick. I'll bet shea butter would plaster them down nicely, too.

Also, if you hunt around a little you can find alcohol-free styling gels that won't hurt your hair. They're a favorite for a lot of curlies for curl definition, anyway. Aloe gel can give a light hold, but my hair's not fond of it for some reason.

virgo75
June 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
My hair doesn't respond to oil or gel.
Oil seems to make it frizzier and my hair poofs right out of gels. lol I think it's because my hair dries out easily and dry hair = frizzy, poofy hair.

The only thing that works well for me is to use conditioner in the same way I would a styling creme on hair that is about 75% dry. I also find that coney conditioners hold better than non-cone conditioners.

Right now I'm using Tresmme's Remoisturizing Conditioner and it has pretty good "hold".