PDA

View Full Version : Lighter on the ends?

TheBluffs
June 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Does anyone else have this? My ends are naturaly 2 shades lighter than the top of my head, and it's quite noticable in updoos. :rolleyes: Has anyoe found a way to conceal this without dye?

julliams
June 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
I'm guessing choosing styles where the ends are tucked under? Actually I would think that it is quite typical for most people with virgin hair to have this naturally so really, it is one of the beauties of having virgin hair.

Mine is like this. I'm thankful because my ends are a great colour but the colour near my face suits my skin tone better so it works out very well for me.

Avital88
June 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I think that is beautiful! my ends are darker than the rest due to me putting henna on just my semi dyed ends.. it never blends totally,i think i need to put another semidye in and henna on top,thats how the color will stick perfectly.
For you, i think its normal to get lighter ends due to sunshine ,i dont know what you should do about it,make the rest lighter with honey or lime seems like the only option if you want to stay natural

Firefly
June 3rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have this exact same issue! I'm sorry I don't have any advice since I haven't figured it out yet myself. :(

FarmGirl
June 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
I have this too. But, I also have some sun-lightened streaks in the rest of my hair as well... sort of like natural highlights. I love them :)

Tressie
June 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
I think the ends tend to be lighter because they are older, porous, and often dry! (o: Now, when your roots start to silver, you will have an even more interesting color scheme going on! (o: If you decide to color your ends, even with temporary deposit only color, be careful because this hair may hold onto the color longer, and be darker because it will soak it up!

My best advice is to keep them conditioned (oil of your choice) and tuck them in. Enjoy the journey! :blossom:

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Yes! The ends are redder, which delights me no end! I also recently found a dark brown hair that was completely white at the very end! I was amazed!

Annibelle
June 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
My hair is only waist, so though it's all virgin, I haven't really had this issue yet. Well, until I started using coconut oil on my ends, anyway... as of two weeks ago, my ends ARE lighter-- not substantially, but much lighter than they were before the coconut oil! So I've had to stop with the coconut oil. :(

QMacrocarpa
June 3rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Sure, I mostly get around by bike, so my hair has a fair amount of sun exposure. The color gradation doesn't bug me at all. Just part of life.

Panth
June 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Yeah, it's because the ends are older and thus more sun damaged and damaged by washing, etc. I don't mind that much.

I wish I could still do what I used to do before my first chop, aged about 7. Since before then I still had my very first baby hair at the ends (having waist-ish hair) I could put my plait tassels against my scalp hair and show people how blonde I used to be when I was a baby. There was quite a lot of difference - from a nearly platinum blonde at the tips to a dark golden blonde at the roots. Now my difference is only from damage, not from an actual historic difference in natural hair colour, so it's much less pronounced (and less awesome).

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Personally, I don't have that, but my sister's does. She's a fairly dark brunette, but her hair turns red toward the bottom, especially if she's been in the sun.

Also, if your profile pic is showing up true, you've got lots of blonde. I've seen a lot of people with your hair color who get very blonde at the ends. I think it's beautiful! :) It has a lot more character to it than, for instance, my completely black hair.

HuggyBear
June 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
My hair is naturally like this as well. My root area is dark blonde and most of the length is med-golden blonde. I really wish all my hair was golden blonde. I have used the honey lightening treatments with some success to even out my color.

alyanna
June 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Why would you want to hide the lighter ends? I bet they look really pretty.

Like another poster said, it's just a fact of life and I wouldn't worry about. I think this is normal and looks quite natural.

Emerald88
June 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
I definately have this as well. My hair is very suseptable to lightening by the sun.

Firefly
June 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
I definately have this as well. My hair is very suseptable to lightening by the sun.

Mine is, too. It doesn't take much exposure at all to lighten it up! To me it doesn't look natural at all, it looks like I'm growing out old highlights or something. I worked a long time to grow out virgin hair; I just want it to look that way!

squiggyflop
June 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
2 shades.. you are lucky.. i henna my hair because if i dont i have brown roots, copper hair at bsl, and by the time i would hit tailbone i have strawberry blond ends.. its the sun, its evil.. it bleaches my brown cuticle and lets the red cortex show through

curlymarcia
June 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I feel fine hair is more prone to get lighter ends. Does coarse haired also have it?? I think it looks cute.

slz
June 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Like another poster said, it's just a fact of life
Ditto ! And a beautiful one at that - I think it's great that hair gets several different shades as it grows out, it looks way cool.

tigr
June 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
I think the "problem" here is that we are so used to seeing artificially colored hair, whether it's from dye, or henna or extensions, that we're not used to seeing what happens to hair as it grows.

If it's dryness that's causing your hair to look lighter at the ends, try ramping up your moisturizing routine with additional conditioners and/or oils. If it's the sun lightening your hair, start wearing a hat when you go outside during the day and look for UV protection products for days you don't want to wear a hat.

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I don't have advice on how to avoid it, but I think it looks beautiful, and quite natural. Its what i'd expect from a person with your hair color and length. I'm a dark hair with some natural highlights, but nothing like a lighter haired person tends to get.