PDA

View Full Version : I still can't get my hair in one braid and have it stay.

Alix
June 3rd, 2011, 02:02 AM
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my thick hair, but I always see girls with really pretty side braids, and think to myself "when my hair gets that long I can have an awesome side braid too!"

And then I realize my hair is longer.

:brickwall:

My scissors are itching for a bob.

Also, the longer my hair gets, the more I notice my sheds, and how annoying they are.

I'm just having a mad-at-my-hair day. Please excuse me.

Edit: The amount of the shedding doesn't bother me, it's the fact that there is that much more length to cut out of the vacuum and catch in the drain, haha. I live with a friend who has a pixie. Who know whose hair is whose, and it's ussually mine.

Slinks
June 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my thick hair, but I always see girls with really pretty side braids, and think to myself "when my hair gets that long I can have an awesome side braid too!"

And then I realize my hair is longer.

:brickwall:

My scissors are itching for a bob.

Also, the longer my hair gets, the more I notice my sheds, and how annoying they are.

I'm just having a mad-at-my-hair day. Please excuse me.

Me too, I've had my hair up in an oiled plait for the last 4 days, I took it out twice a day combed it and replaited, today I CWC'd cos I had to go out and I like to wear my hair down when out .. I was shedding like a cat losing it's winter fur !! :rolleyes:

forget the scissors you don't need them, find something else you'd like to do to your hair :-)

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
@ Alix...

Why are your sheds bothering you now that your hair is growing longer?

It's normal to shed a certain amount every day. You have a tremendous volume of hair so it is only normal that some of it s sheds so that the new hairs can take the place of the shed hair.

As long as you're not experiencing over active sheds, then I think your hair is growing (and shedding) normally.

Also, is it possible that you are bored with your current length? Thick hair can be styled successfully..but the secret is to section it and not try and put all the hair into a ponytail.

Your French braids in your album look spectacular, to say the least! If you're patient, you will certainly have incredible, head turning hair when you hit waist!

krissykins
June 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
:grouphug: It sounds like you're in an awkward phase right now. It's important to push through and not lose sight of the goal.

Have you tried double braids at all? :)

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hey Alix! Sorry to hear about you braid issues.

Here are some tips to help keep updos together:
- in order to keep a bun together you can use Spin Pins to hold it
- in order to keep any up-do together you can use a spray bottle filled with water (and if you want a few drops of oil) to mist your hair before styling it
- you can use pure aloe vera gel (the clear kind)
- you can use a natural hair spray made with water and lemon juice (it can be a bit drying and lighten your hair in sunlight), orange juice or beer. More info here: "Natural/Herbal" hairspray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54312&highlight=natural+hair+spray+lemon+orange)

Lots of luck to you with the braids! :D

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
I know your pain about how you hate shedding more now that your hair is getting longer, I think "wow, there goes another one of my long hairs that will take FOREVER to grow back again" but if your shedding is bothering you that much, maybe try what I'm doing, I am spraying brewed black tea into my scalp 1-2 times a day to reduce shedding and I can't believe the results! (click) This is my Shed-Less thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71626) so you can see the results I'm getting in 7 days I went from shedding 110 hairs a day to 54! Don't reach for the scissors as tempting as it is, I have to fight this often too because my hair is super damaged so it breaks off sooooo much so I'm constantly trimming to keep the ends fuller

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! No bob!!! TT,TT You'll get used to the massive looking amounts of shed. Just remember that your hair has probably shed about as much, it just looks worse now because it's longer. PROGRESS! :)

And I understand your style jealousy. I have thick hair too and there are some supposedly BSL hairstyles that I can hardly do with hip length! :(

Coffeebug
June 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
My hair picked itself out of a braid stupidly quickly till it got to nearly waist - it's houdini hair. Worth pushing on and getting the length though cos once you can keep it in a braid it's definitely an easy option!

PianoPlaye
June 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Step away from the scissors. :cake::chocolate::beer:
Just for a fortnight? If you are still climbing walls with it, then maybe do an S&D or a micro-trim, but if you just need a little time to adapt, (or to recover from a rough week) Take The Time, not the shears! :)

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
i'm with everyone else, push through the desire to cut. i'm just past BSL and waist is the goal - and its heavily layered, which i like, but its been looking weird the past few days and i've been fantasizing about chopping it. usually, that's exactly what i would do, but since finding LHC, i'm determined to push through.

I'm right there with you....hanging by a hair......