PDA

View Full Version : I have a bald spot? Help!!!!

sakuramoon08
June 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I have to admit that this started because I was always a nervous wreck so became a hair puller, it's obvious in my middle school days(slightly) and as I got older it became noticable. I think it stopped my junior year in high school. I also did do lots of middle parts for dance, still do when I dance.Well, some of it's growing back, and I would really love to know if all of it will come back? It's smack dab right in front of my forehead, where one would start the part down the middle. Will my hair grow back, or did I pull out too much? Can I do something about it? Please help!!!!

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
It sounds very much like alopecia. Too many center parts over a period of time will cause the part to widen..or to lose hair.

Make an appointment with a trichologist (hair doctor) and see if there isn't some sort of topical treatment that can restore the hair.

And by all means, stop center parting your hair. Do a side part..or wear your hair clipped back..or up.

Think of a farmer who walks thru his field via the same path day after day, week after week, month after month. At first, the grass is high..but as time progresses, the grass is trampled, worn down..and then worn away so that only the dirt remains. Same thing when you always part your hair in the same place..or put the ponytail in the same place..or pin that hairstick in the same place. Your hair will suffer!

Good luck!

sakuramoon08
June 3rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
It sounds very much like alopecia. Too many center parts over a period of time will cause the part to widen..or to lose hair.

Make an appointment with a trichologist (hair doctor) and see if there isn't some sort of topical treatment that can restore the hair.

And by all means, stop center parting your hair. Do a side part..or wear your hair clipped back..or up.

Think of a farmer who walks thru his field via the same path day after day, week after week, month after month. At first, the grass is high..but as time progresses, the grass is trampled, worn down..and then worn away so that only the dirt remains. Same thing when you always part your hair in the same place..or put the ponytail in the same place..or pin that hairstick in the same place. Your hair will suffer!

Good luck!
I heard that if you pulled your hairs out by the root, that they never grow back again? So in that case I think my hair in that part of my head is never going to come back... But thank you, I will take your advice. :)

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 01:06 AM
I heard that if you pulled your hairs out by the root, that they never grow back again? So in that case I think my hair in that part of my head is never going to come back... But thank you, I will take your advice. :)

I've never heard that they don't grow out for the simple reason that many people pull out grey hairs the minute they see them..but the hair grows back again.

A trichologist may be able to suggest something to restore the hair follicles. I guess it all depends on how damaged the area is..and how long a period you would have to apply the medication to the affected area (not to mention the expense).

Hotrox
June 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
you could try castor oil - I plucked my eyebrows for years to the point where they seemed to be very sparse and thinner than before when I tried to grow them back in.

After a month or so of rubbing them with castor oil each night little hairs started to spring out in previously hair free places. My eyebrows are now thicker than ever before.

I know others here have used it on their hair with similar success, it might be worth a board search.

sakuramoon08
June 3rd, 2011, 02:14 AM
you could try castor oil - I plucked my eyebrows for years to the point where they seemed to be very sparse and thinner than before when I tried to grow them back in.

After a month or so of rubbing them with castor oil each night little hairs started to spring out in previously hair free places. My eyebrows are now thicker than ever before.

I know others here have used it on their hair with similar success, it might be worth a board search.

Yay! You have given me hope. Thank you sooo much!!!! :D

Hotrox
June 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
Yay! You have given me hope. Thank you sooo much!!!! :D

You are welcome, I hope if you do give it a try it works well for you.

Panth
June 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM

Sometimes they never grow back - that happens because, through the repeated plucking, you have damaged the follicle so much that it can no longer produce hair. However, that does not happen all the time. Sometimes it does take a while for the hair to start growing again, though.

I'd suggest topical castor oil, being very gentle with your general haircare (combing, shampooing, etc.) and swapping your partings around regularly.

Hair loss because of a parting can be a form of traction alopecia. Compulsive hair pulling is called trichotillomania. You should be able to find threads about both of those here which will tell you about how others have overcome their hairloss.

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
You could add a couple of dops of iodine to the castor oil if you decide to use it. ETA: just keep in mind that iodine is toxic and too much can be harmful.

Remember Cator oil is sticky so it helps to mix it with a lighter oil like Extra Virgin Olive Oil (in like a 50%-50% mix) and only apply it to the scalp.
Iodine for hair growth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57627&highlight=iodine+growth)
Castor oil for hair growth? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265)

I agree with everyone else that you should go see a doctor and part your hair differently.

Good luck! :D

Anje
June 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'd also suggest castor oil, Monistat, or maybe Rogaine (just promise not to get pregnant or put it on cats...) applied to the spot to see if you can stimulate any growth. It might be gone for good, but it's worth at least attempting to get growth going again for a few months before giving up. If that fails and you feel sufficiently desperate, you can probably get one of those places that does hair transplants some business...

Meanwhile, keep the trichotillomania under control! Find something else to do with your fingers!

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I had a spot on my head where a bunch of hair accidentally got ripped out by a face cleanser. This left me with a bald spot and I went to a hairdresser right after to try and camouflage the spot with some bangs. The hairdresser told me that the hair would never grow back and I freaked out inside. But don't despair, it eventually grew back on its own. It did however take a few months before I started seeing some peach fuzz. After about a year I had mini mini bangs, so even if your hair gets ripped out by the roots it is possible for it to grow back again :)

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
I would also second the castor oil and some select oils like rosemary to help with regrowth...

sakuramoon08
June 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'd also suggest castor oil, Monistat, or maybe Rogaine (just promise not to get pregnant or put it on cats...) applied to the spot to see if you can stimulate any growth. It might be gone for good, but it's worth at least attempting to get growth going again for a few months before giving up. If that fails and you feel sufficiently desperate, you can probably get one of those places that does hair transplants some business...

Meanwhile, keep the trichotillomania under control! Find something else to do with your fingers!

Thank you!!! I have stopped with the trichotillomania, some hair has returned, I was just wondering if all of it would eventually. I did start using castor oil awhile back, so hopefully It will all return with time. Hopefully time will tell. I will keep you all posted.