PDA

View Full Version : How long have 'cones been in hair products?

shellblue1
June 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Are silicones in hair products a fairly new thing (like within past 10 years)? Did companies put 'cones in shampoos and conditioners back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Anyone remember/know?

Mesmerise
June 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
I haven't a clue, but I'd be interested to find out!

Firefox7275
June 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
This was discussed on a recent thread: AFAIK silicones became the must-have ingredient along with flat ironing and 'The Rachel Cut' (and subsequent incarnations).

"History
Silicones have been important ingredients in hair care products since the 1950s. The first known use of silicone in a hair care product was in a spray called Sudden Death by Lanolin Plus which claimed that silicone caused hair to be “shiny and more spirited”. Around this time, silicones also appeared in hair sprays to lubricate nozzles and prevent them from blocking.

In 1958, the first patent was issued for the use of polydimethylsiloxane in a shampoo. In the 1960s, the development slowed a little as formulators worked on solubility and compatibility issues until in the 1970s the hair conditioning properties of silicones began to play a significant role in products such as hair colours, perms and conditioners. In 1987, silicones as we now know them burst onto the scene in the first two-in-one shampoos using a silicone conditioning system. Since the 1990s, silicones have been increasingly used in hair care due to their unique properties and the benefits derived from more sophisticated delivery forms as well as the “functionalisation” and modification of silicone polymers. The benefits of silicones in hair care include conditioning, shine, and manageability, improved wet and dry combing and reduced frizz and fly-away. New silicone technologies also give heat and colour protection, provide body, improve straightening and impart flexible styling properties."

http://www.personalcaremagazine.com/Story.aspx?Story=4114

newbeginning
June 3rd, 2011, 05:00 AM
Interesting info. I would've thought they were a more recent use. I'm surprised they go back that far.

|Xei
June 3rd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Sudden Death, what an interesting name for a hair product. I wonder what type of spray it was.

metricfuture
June 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Sudden Death, what an interesting name for a hair product. I wonder what type of spray it was.

Since we're talking about the 50's, my guess would be either setting lotion or hairspray. It's a pretty intense name, though. I wonder if it came in a black can with a skull and cross bones on it...

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Since we're talking about the 50's, my guess would be either setting lotion or hairspray. It's a pretty intense name, though. I wonder if it came in a black can with a skull and cross bones on it...

Lol. I would be scared to use something called Sudden Death on my hair. :D

SpeakingEZ
June 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for sharing, Firefox! That was pretty interesting!