PDA

View Full Version : What's your best shine tip?

Deelight
June 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking of doing a gloss treatment with Clairol Radiance this evening. I've not used the clear gloss alone without any color before. Anyway, my hair is just kind of looking dull lately, and I tend to avoid oils b/c they pull the color out of my dyed hair. I don't need to clarify, in fact, my hair is in pretty good condition right now. I alternate SMTs and protein treatments whenever I color (which is only at the roots). But I would like it to SHINE some more!!!

What are your favorite ways to get more shine?

Nae
June 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Shot of cold water at the end of the shower usually does it for me, but I have dark hair. I think some hair colors reflect light a little better than others.

Ishje
June 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Nightblooming pancea and coconut oil do great things for my shinyness.

Mairéad
June 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
I know lots of people hate cold AVC rinses, but I find that they make my hair ridiculously shiny.

growingpains
June 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
Acv after a CO wash followed by a cold rinse:)

kwaniesiam
June 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
If you're a cone user there are plenty of shine serums out there.

WittyWordsmith
June 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

^^^This!!^^^

luthein
June 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Light coconut oiling from the ears down.

krissykins
June 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
ACV rinses helped with shine, as did chamomile tea rinses :)

TheMechaGinger
June 2nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I know lots of people hate cold AVC rinses, but I find that they make my hair ridiculously shiny.

Also agreeing with this, it does wonders for my hair

MissCoco
June 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Shikikai and amla powder, coconut oil, amla oil, (cold) ACV rinses, coconut milk soaks, cold water rinses, shine-enhancing shampoo (or serum) if you're a sulfate/cone-washer, shea butter is pretty good also, etc. Beer is supposed to be good, but I've never tried it yet!

Madora
June 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Brushing - every day - 100 strokes, with a pure boar bristle brush! A tiny bit of coconut oil is also helpful!

irisheyes
June 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
I second Medora's suggestion. I don't brush everyday, but when I do, the shine is amazing.

Alix
June 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
I brush my hair. It doesn't seem to distribute oils well naturally, so when I brush it, it's like HELLLLLO shine.

Fufu
June 3rd, 2011, 03:51 AM
Camelia oil once or 2 drops

AND

Rinse with cold water after every conditioning :) Really gives shine shine shine

Tookii
June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Icy cold vinegar rinses give me awesome shine - but my hair is quite dark, I so dont't know if its the same for lighter hair..

Neneka
June 3rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
I have a spray bottle with water, vinegar and different oils in it. I use it on dry hair to detangle but it also gives me a great shine. But. I have to mention that my sisters' hair is different than mine (dyed many times, bleached, you name it) and my spray does nothing on her. Maybe it works only if your hair is in a good condition on itself.

CrystalStar
June 3rd, 2011, 04:40 AM
The cold water rinse after a shower. :) That and a tiny scraping of coconut oil through the length!

Barniie
June 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
So, to pretty much sum up what everyone has said, I would do a nice oiling overnight, then CO it out in the morning, followed by an ACV rinse and a shot of cold water from the shower, and then some shine serum (if you use cones) or a light oiling on the ends when your hair is dry. :)

newbeginning
June 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
I was going to suggest olive oil but I see that doesn't work for you. I've tried cold water too and it works fairly well (just not so much fun in the winter).

|Xei
June 3rd, 2011, 05:07 AM
Phyto 9 gave me more shine than when I used to use coney serums. It's great stuff.

Sweet Beat
June 3rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
I love my protect and shine serum from Joico K-PAK! I think they have changed the look of the bottle (because I couldn't the bottle i have on Google), and I don't know if the formula is different... Hope not, so I can buy more ;) Anyway, you don't need to get more that often. Me and my mom have used our for like... many years. It makes amazing difference with just a few drops! And then the hair will smell coconut <3 Love it.

slz
June 3rd, 2011, 05:58 AM
Shikikai and amla powder
Yes, this - I do not know which one gives the ridiculous shine since I always use them together, but at least one of the two is simply wonderful. See picture here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2389&pictureid=78874).

WaitingSoLong
June 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Definitely ACV rinses, I use cones in my conditioner and follow with ACV rinse (no-cone conditioners did seem to rob my shine) and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine serum. I don't think there are cones in it, seems to be mostly oils:

Cyclopentasiloxane; Dimethiconol; Alcohol Denat.; C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate; Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil; Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil; Fragrance, Nutritive fruit micro-oils, extracted from avocado and apricot, Active fruit concentrate, Fruit acids, Vitamins, Fructose, Glucose.

Is the bolded one a cone? Not that I care. I love cones!

slz
June 3rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Is the bolded one a cone?
Yep, and Cyclopentasiloxane is too - so it's pretty heavy in cones, with both first ingredients as such. If it suits you, you're definitely a cone person !

Avital88
June 3rd, 2011, 07:14 AM
henna glosses and healthyfresh washed hair works best for me:D

MonaLisa
June 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Nettle tea rinse and also ACV rinse...shines so much i can barely look at it :D

Deelight
June 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yes, this - I do not know which one gives the ridiculous shine since I always use them together, but at least one of the two is simply wonderful. See picture here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2389&pictureid=78874).

Oh slz, the shine of your hair in this photo is to die for!!! *DIES*

Vervaine
June 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I love using stale beer :) Adds body as well as gloss, and lasts about a week.

Wash hair, pour flat beer over hair and work through the length, let sit (optional, but I usually do five to ten minutes), rinse very briefly with cold water (optional, but does help remove the beery odor).

krissykins
June 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Definitely ACV rinses, I use cones in my conditioner and follow with ACV rinse (no-cone conditioners did seem to rob my shine) and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine serum. I don't think there are cones in it, seems to be mostly oils:

Cyclopentasiloxane; Dimethiconol; Alcohol Denat.; C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate; Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil; Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil; Fragrance, Nutritive fruit micro-oils, extracted from avocado and apricot, Active fruit concentrate, Fruit acids, Vitamins, Fructose, Glucose.

Is the bolded one a cone? Not that I care. I love cones!

Cones are fine, but that has Denatured Alcohol! :scared: Over time, that will rob the moisture from your hair! :(

xoxophelia
June 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ok so today I will try out one of the methods (prewash oiling.. I will use jojoba->CO with VO5 kiwi/lime->dilute ACV rinse->cold water->light oiling on ends)

I'll report back with results later.

Another tip that helps me, but depends on hair type, is damp bunning.

jojo
June 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
I have a Mason pearson BBB and I get loads of shine brushing with that but another tip is get the leg of a tight/panty hose and put your hand in the leg and gently rub down the length of your hair!

curlymarcia
June 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would say cold water rinse, oil, and flaxseed gel.

slz
June 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Oh slz, the shine of your hair in this photo is to die for!!! *DIES*
Thank you :D - however I cheated a bit in this pic, the sun is strong and makes for additional shine.

Anje
June 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Well-moisturized hair! When my hair is happy and not dried out, it shines all on its own.

Flash photography also helps. :)

jojo
June 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
forgot rooibo sprayed on hair gives wonderful shine and for coney heads paul mitchels skinny serum brilliant!

jaine
June 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Styling it in a way that gets all hairs on the same wavelength.
For me this could be curly girl method, damp bunning with gel, or combing gel through wet hair and letting it dry hard and then combing out the crunch. All for the same purpose: getting all hairs going in the same direction as their neighbors.

Olyve
June 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM

This!^^^^

I was just asked while shopping how I got my hair so shiny and "perfect."
Totally made my day!

christine1989
June 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
This is really old school and does not work for everyone but I rinse with really cold water and it gives me way more shine and way less frizz. Silicone also makes my hair shine for some reason and I have a silicone styling spray that makes it shiny enough to see your reflection in! :D

xoxophelia
June 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Well I did the above method today and my DBF thinks it is a little shiner. I am not sure if it is, but it did dry more smoothly.

luxepiggy
June 4th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Aquage Beyond Shine is my HG shine spray - I don't know how I ever got along without it!

http://www.aquage.com/AQUAGEproducts/Finishing/BeyondShine.aspx

MissCoco
June 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Ooh, nice! ;) Yeah, I always use them together (along with reetha, but I don't reetha adds to the shine factor), so I don't know either! Who cares, it works! :p

MissCoco
June 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Oh, I also forgot to add that tea rinses (like earl grey, black tea, etc- for dark hair, anyway) and damp bunning/braiding gives a lot of shine, usually.

xoxophelia
June 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Ok so today I will try out one of the methods (prewash oiling.. I will use jojoba->CO with VO5 kiwi/lime->dilute ACV rinse->cold water->light oiling on ends)

I'll report back with results later.

Another tip that helps me, but depends on hair type, is damp bunning.

On second though, after waiting for my hair to dry fully and looking in the bathroom mirror, this actually made my hair noticably shinier. I would suggest people give it a try for those who want to be cone free. It is still shinier today.