PDA

View Full Version : No hippie hair.

Kristamommyx3
June 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
When I asked my husband the question being asked on another thread earlier today, what length hair he preferred, he shouted from the kitchen, and I quote "no hippie hair!". :thud:
I will reach waist in another inch, and my goal was hip, which he proceeded to also label as hippie hair! I also find this to be personally disrespectful, because both of my parents were full on hippies, super long hair and oh yes, even Woodstock. I admire all of their pictures from those days. My middle name is Dawn, and I alwas say I'm really surprised I'm not named Moon Unit or Summer Dawn. Lol I have decided to disregard his total lack of manners and continue to grow my hair until I feel it is just right for me. I did, however promise to keep it from looking "scraggily". However, just between us LHCr's...this is how I feel about his opinions. :wigtongue. :slap: and maybe a little :rolleyes:

krissykins
June 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Just for that, I think you should wear lots of braids and flowers in your hair and blast 60's music whenever possible.

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Wow.......... There is seriously something wrong with me.
I completely read the title as "No Nipple Hair". I need more sleep................

Kristamommyx3
June 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
:D. I just had a good laugh over that!

I completely read the title as "No Nipple Hair". I need more sleep................

reneemichelle
June 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM

Oh my goodness I did too!

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM

great minds think alike i thought the exact same!

EdG
June 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Actually, the hippies had short hair by LHC standards (according to my historical research). :D They didn't have enough time to grow really long hair.

You could agree with your DH: "Yup, no hippie hair" (in a few year's time). ;)
Ed

Deelight
June 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hippie hair is so awesome to me. I saw the musical Hair last time I was in NYC.

Kristamommyx3
June 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Yes, I suppose it wasn't too long by LHC standards... My father's was mid back and my mother's was tailbone. Not quite as long as some of our long hairs!

Actually, the hippies had short hair by LHC standards (according to my historical research). :D They didn't have enough time to grow really long hair.

You could agree with your DH: "Yup, no hippie hair" (in a few year's time). ;)
Ed

SpeakingEZ
June 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Just keep growing it until he notices it's "hippie hair" length. Chances are, he won't notice until it's long past that. Men don't seem to notice very gradual changes. He might just look at you one day and say, "I told you 'no hippie hair'!" And you can say, "fine, I'll trim a little." Then trim a couple inches and keep growing, repeat. You hair growth might be faster than his attention/ reaction time and you could gain some good, healthy length!

He also might just associate long hair to unkept, scraggly hair. The hippies, as awesome as they were, didn't have a lifestyle that left much room for hair care, despite having the length. They left their hair down and free and didn't protect it. So I think there is a difference between "long hair" and "hippie hair".

Grow it, see if he still hates the length even when it's healthy. If he doesn't, decide if you're willing to compromise.

selderon
June 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I totally thought the nipple hair thing. Yish!

I bet the OP's OH doesn't feel the same way about her hip-length hair as he does about "hippie hair". I can totally see her getting to hip length and her hair not qualifying as "hippie hair" in his book.

chelles2kids
June 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just for that, I think you should wear lots of braids and flowers in your hair and blast 60's music whenever possible.

:p I love this idea...

elbow chic
June 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
ha, they say women turn out to be like our mothers. We deny it vehemently when we're twenty but it aaaaaalways catches up eventually. :hmm:

snakewitch
June 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
That's just like my mom called me a dirty redneck for wanting to have hair longer than what she forcefully cut it at when I was littler.

There's always some stereotype attached to wanting a certain type of hair. The person saying it, no matter how much you might respect them otherwise, usually has no clue what they're talking about.

silvermoon_76
June 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
It's your hair. This might sound fanciful, but maybe when he sees how much you love your "hippie hair" he'll come around too :P

Mesmerise
June 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Oh well, it's your hair and not his :p. I don't really even mention my hair goals to my husband... although I was in a particularly irritable mood the other weekend and I said I'd "Grow my hair down to my butt so people will notice that and not the fact that I'm so darn short!!!" Of course, I'll be short with hair to my butt (actually my goal is hip but that sounded better) but I kinda want my HAIR to be the first thing people notice about me, not my HEIGHT!

I'm sure my husband thought :confused: when I said that I wanted hair that long, but he didn't comment (and nor did he comment when I said I'd get covered in tattoos as well... lol).

owlathena
June 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I think "hippie hair" is associated with messy hair. That being said, I love how my hair looks when its down and messy. I've always wanted hippie hair like this!

http://sharingthehippielove.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/california.jpg

irisheyes
June 3rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Ha! This thread reminds me of that Woodstock weekend so long ago. My DBF and I had heard about it on the radio and debated the merits of going or not. We decided to go to the Jersey Shore instead, and so missed out on one of the most historical events of our generation! Yes, we had hippie hair. Mine was tailbone length and his was a very wild, curly shoulder length. It matched his beard. I married him, and all 3 of our kids got his curly hair.

longhairdntcare
June 3rd, 2011, 03:05 AM
LOL! I love hippie hair. SOs don't know anything anyways :P

Toadstool
June 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM
I would LOVE hippie hair and intend growing it!

Venefica
June 3rd, 2011, 03:43 AM
I think you should deny him well...you know until he learns to appreciate your hair. :P

Hippie hair looks amazing. I always admire the hair on the women in 1960's and 190's movies, that long, straight hair, or alternatively big and curly looks just beautiful. Good luck growing your hair.

newbeginning
June 3rd, 2011, 05:01 AM

I agree. I laughed out loud when I read this reply.

Altocumulus
June 3rd, 2011, 06:23 AM
Give me a head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby there mama, everywhere daddy, daddy
Hair!
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it, my hair

I was born in 1968. I consider myself fortunate that my name is Joy, and not something even more hippyish!

MonaMayfair
June 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Yes, nothing wrong with hippie hair!

Avital88
June 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
hahhaa this made me laugh alot, my boyfriend said the same one year ago when my hair was almost waist.
Now its hip and it still isnt hippie hair to him.
Well i must admit, i love the whole hippie thing, and i see myself as a modern hippie.
Maybe i just changed his whole view about hippiness:D

Kristamommyx3
June 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my appreciation of lovely hippie like hair! I have to say that though he went conservative years ago, nobody gets more excited when I show my longer hair progress than my Dad! Lol. He is my hair's biggest fan...definitely still a hippie at heart. <3

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
I think hippie hair is beautiful. And I hope that when my hair is between waist and classic, it will look like hippie hair. :D

However, when I think of beyond tail-bone hair I think of fairytale characters and women from the 1800s NOT hippies. *shrug*

sibiryachka
June 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM

This is exactly the advice I was going to give. Maybe a braided leather headband as well?
A childhood spent surrounded by "hippie hair" is why I've always wanted very long hair myself... Let your freak flag fly, and make him love it! ;)

ifthemoonsmiled
June 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
When I was a kid my mom would always cut my hair whenbit reached waist length because she said any longer would make me look like "a country music singer". Ha. This was coming from an ex-hippie who had waist-length hair herself when she was younger. People just have funny stereotypes about long hair. Personally I think beautiful hair can easily transcend those associations!

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Aw, that's sad! Good for you for disregarding that! I think some of the "residual" hippies who have kept their hair long until now have gorgeous hair - I've never seen one who looked "scraggly." :shrug:

HuggyBear
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I think "hippie hair" is associated with messy hair. That being said, I love how my hair looks when its down and messy. I've always wanted hippie hair like this!

http://sharingthehippielove.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/california.jpg

Awesome! I have hippie hair! Now I know what to call it. LOL...

Sunshineliz
June 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I think my DH has an aversion to "hippie" hair too. I love bohemian-type braids and was trying to find a way to do something like that in my hair. I was excited when I finally got my big silver streak in a small braid and pinned across my hair to the side. His reaction? "Too 70s.":( So I just posted it in my album and asked some fellow LHC Renegrays to look at it. They made me feel better.:)

DH still wants me to have waist-length hair though.

curlymarcia
June 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I love the hippie hair style. It was so natural and bohemian looking. Their braids. I wish some iron-addicted will enjoy the care-free hair look.

nucleardelusion
June 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I must be pretty lucky :) My boyfriend loves "hippie hair." We're growing our hair out together. Chances are, your guy won't notice your hair getting longer- it'll sneak up on him. Bwhaha

dawnandxavier
June 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
is Dawn a common hippie name?

Arya
June 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
When I asked my husband the question being asked on another thread earlier today, what length hair he preferred, he shouted from the kitchen, and I quote "no hippie hair!". :thud:
I will reach waist in another inch, and my goal was hip, which he proceeded to also label as hippie hair! I also find this to be personally disrespectful, because both of my parents were full on hippies, super long hair and oh yes, even Woodstock. I admire all of their pictures from those days. My middle name is Dawn, and I alwas say I'm really surprised I'm not named Moon Unit or Summer Dawn. Lol I have decided to disregard his total lack of manners and continue to grow my hair until I feel it is just right for me. I did, however promise to keep it from looking "scraggily". However, just between us LHCr's...this is how I feel about his opinions. :wigtongue. :slap: and maybe a little :rolleyes:

Just a question...why would you ask his opinion if you didn't want to hear it?

kitten1986
June 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
hey krista! Let me just start by saying that I think you have lovely hair!! It is very shiny and healthy looking and looks like you look after it well.

In the case of your boyfriend... you ask him his opinion, and he gave it to you. He is entitled to think what he wants and I dont think you should be too upset by what he said. Maybe the 'hippie' hair he is referring to is long scraggly knotty and dirty and not well looked after, in that case you will never have hair like that!

You should never be angry at someone for giving their honest opinion when you have asked for it, but you also dont need to feel like you should follow what he says.

Your beautiful hair is for your joy and you should do whatever you want with it, and I am pretty sure that he probably wouldn't notice anyway hahaha

Kristamommyx3
June 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Because we've been married for twelve years, we typically use each other for a sounding board. I was really surprised at his answer, and have decided to respect it and respect my own as well....and complain a little, too. ;)

Just a question...why would you ask his opinion if you didn't want to hear it?

DoubleCrowned
June 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
For real hippy hair, you have to let your hair grow everywhere. You might have just enough time to wear long pants and tops with sleeves just long enough before the hottest weather to grow a good crop of fur. Then, on the day to show off your real hippy hair, wear a gathered, gauzy, calf-length skirt and tire-tread sandals, hairy legs sticking out; a tank top without a bra to show off the under arm fur; and a headband across the forehead with a loose flowing hairstyle that you let the wind whip into strings before being seen. Jewelry should be made of leather and clay, and earrings should be very long.

Once you are cleaned up again, he will have a new appreciation for your lovely long hair.

(Just joking around here, not all of us hippies went for that look.)

kellinaturalmom
June 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
LOL! It is so funny what my husband thinks is "hippie". He said the bracelets I made were hippie, and the purse I bought was hippie, and any old random thing that is natural or bohemian is "hippie". It makes me mad when people use hippie as a derogatory term, though. You hear it everywhere... lots of people who just want to live a more natural life are called dirty hippies. It's not nice.

DoubleCrowned
June 3rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
LOL! It is so funny what my husband thinks is "hippie". He said the bracelets I made were hippie, and the purse I bought was hippie, and any old random thing that is natural or bohemian is "hippie". It makes me mad when people use hippie as a derogatory term, though. You hear it everywhere... lots of people who just want to live a more natural life are called dirty hippies. It's not nice.
Actually, I can't remember any dirty hippies. Unshaven, yes; ragged clothing, yes; dirty, no.

Chetanlaiho
June 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Just for that I'd wear my 'hippy hairstyle' and see if he notices xD (a braid from some hair on the side of my head crossed over my forehead and the rest down and wavy)

dmarie63
June 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I want the long hippie hair! lol. I can imagine myself looking VERY hippie-ish wish my waist length hair, wearing a wrap skirt and flowy shirt, hoop dancing in the park :)

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
AGHHHHHH!!! Tell me about it. My guy is the same way... But I told him he either has to love me the way I am, or scram.... and then he asked me to marry him, because he likes "empowered" women. Go figure. :D

Honestwitness
June 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'm a former hippie from the late 60s and early 70s. I saw a lot of long hair and a few unshaven females, but most of us were quite clean. Our morals weren't quite clean or legal, though, which is why I am no longer a hippie. I gave it up after a three-year journey into and out of the very depths of hippiedom. I'm very straight now, so much so that people always disbelieve me when I tell them I was a hippie. I had a bad case of teenege rebellion and the culture was ripe for it back then.

There was one guy in our "community" back then who decided not to ever wash his long hair and long beard. He had a lovely long-haired girlfriend who kept her luxurious brunette curls in beautiful, clean condition. She would always beg him to wash his hair, but he would always stubbornly refuse. One evening, she lured him into the bathroom and invited him to join her in a bath. While he was distracted by her beauty, she dumped a huge glob of shampoo on top of his head. Oh boy, was he mad! But at least he sorta washed his hair in his attempts to rinse it out as fast as he could. Their relationship didn't last lomg.

RuLueashk
June 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
One evening, she lured him into the bathroom and invited him to join her in a bath. While he was distracted by her beauty, she dumped a huge glob of shampoo on top of his head. Oh boy, was he mad! But at least he sorta washed his hair in his attempts to rinse it out as fast as he could. Their relationship didn't last lomg.

Ahaha, sneaky!

And Honestwitness, your hair is beautiful.