PDA

View Full Version : Blow drying?

sun-kissed
June 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I would never use heat on my hair, but sometimes I feel like not waiting hours in the hot and humid summer air with wet hair. So I was wondering, does a blowdryer hurt your hair if it's on the "cool" setting, with no heat at all?

:blossom:~Sunny~:blossom:

hyettf16
June 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Not sure but I think only if it tangles the hair by blowing it all around.

Lollipop
June 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I remember JJJlonghair uses a blowdryer on cool...probably not the best thing, but if you can do it and have hair like that, well more power to you :cool:

(she has videos of her knee length, pin straight, blonde hair on youtube along with a website explaining her routine)

Olyve
June 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
I use the cool setting and smooth my hair with my comb as I dry to prevent major tangles. I comb my hair forward and angel the air on my hair that way, adds volume, prevents tangles, frizz and keeps the cuticle down as well.

caiti42
June 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I use warm/cool settings on gentle. My dryer has 3 temperature and 3 speed settings. It's also ionic and ceramic so I'm protecting my hair as best I can using the dryer. It's too cold here (winter) to wait for it to dry. I let it airdry about 80% then finish it off with the dryer.

MusingFrog
June 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
It is really up to how your hair behaves if their will be damage (if any). I could blow dry my roots every day and have no damage, but I won't do more than a quick blow to the length as my hair is already rather fragile and I don't need the ends potentially drying out. Often, when it is hot and humid like you are describing, I'll blow dry the roots and the hair that comes in contact with my head, and let the rest dry. You probably won't see any damage as long as you don't brush it while doing blow drying.

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think that you can use a blow dryer at any temperature as long as yours doesn't overheat. Pressure is better than heat and if you treat your hair with a detangler like SilkDrops, I don't think any damage is done unless you're doing it every day.

Sunsailing
June 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I use warm/cool settings on gentle. My dryer has 3 temperature and 3 speed settings. It's also ionic and ceramic so I'm protecting my hair as best I can using the dryer. It's too cold here (winter) to wait for it to dry. I let it airdry about 80% then finish it off with the dryer.

I'm a firm believer that the type of dryer makes all the difference.
Using one with far-infrared rays (ceramic) protects the hair from direct heat. I don't have time to completely let my hair air dry. I'll also let it air dry about 80%, then finish drying it with our far-infrared dryer.

The far-infrared dryers do cost a lot more, but they are well worth it.

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I often dry my hair using a fan. Depending on the speed i use, I can control how much air its getting and both my hands are free to manipulate as it dries. Does take longer than heat though.