PDA

View Full Version : Boar Bristle Brush Advice Please

heatherbelle
June 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, still gathering the right products for awesome hair care on my path to growing long beautiful and healthy hair. So, got my silk pillow cases to lessen the damage to hair and now its time for the boar bristle brush. Any and all info all of you can give me would be much appreciated! :D Best brand? Where to you buy? What should I be looking for?

And once again, thank you all for all the help and info! You are all so awesome! :D

Delila
June 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Here's a link to a thread with some useful information:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69117&highlight=boar+bristle+brush

jojo
June 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have a Mason Pearson 100% pure bristle and cannot recommend them enough, ive tried cheaper versions and its like comparing burgers to fillet steak. Its by far the best thing ive ever bought for my hair ever!

krissykins
June 3rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
*cough* Article that I submitted (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=210) *cough* :D

I think that for starting out with a BBB, a drugstore one would be good. Some people swear by their Goody brand BBBs. I have one from Sally's Beauty Supply.

JuliaDancer
June 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
I agree with Jojo. My Mason Pearson was so amazing, I bought a pocket size to put in my purse (in case I stay at my BF's place). I use a comb first, then I brush, and it's sooo glorious... My dad's has lasted for 30 years without his taking care of it whatsoever, so I think they're worth the money you'll pay up front.

JuliaDancer
June 3rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Oh, also, if you get the regular size Mason Pearson, it comes with a cleaning brush to... clean your brush... =)

GoatLady
June 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
I found my BBB at my local Marlene's. It was about $12 and has a cool striped bamboo handle.

Proximity
June 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I've had my Mason Pearson bristle and nylon brush for about 12 years and its one of my favourite belongings... and my hair loves it too :-)

Lollipop
June 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Has anyone tried the mixed bristle and the pure boar? I'm wondering which one would be right for my hair. I know some people recommend pure boar since plastic might be more damaging and can generate heat. However, I just can't imagine any way it could damage hair since the bristles are supposed to be rounded, and I feel like if your brushing generates enough heat to damage your hair, well then you would probably have other prolems...:rolleyes:

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
@Lollipop...

Natural boar bristle brushes are the best type for your hair.

Plastic bristles mixed with boar bristles will kill you hair because plastic generates heat..not a good thing if you want to keep your hair looking nice. (I knew someone who used nylon and her hair was a disaster from that plastic!)

How you brush also determines your ultimate success. Detangle first with a wide tooth comb, working from the ends of the strands up to the scalp.

Of course boar bristle brushes vary in stiffness (although the stiffness dissipates in time).

The bottom of the bbb should be FLAT and the handle should feel comfortable to hold. There should be at least six rows of bristles.

Since my hair is thick, after I finish my 100 strokes in the morning, I take my brush and firmly press in down (with both hands) on my scalp and "scritch" a little. I move the brush just a little bit (one inch increments) from one side of the head to the other, and from front to back. Then I run a wide tooth comb thru the hair once again, just to be sure there are no tangles.

I've been using Goody natural boar bristle brushes for over 30 years. Each one has lasted 10 years and I'm on my last Goody bbb now.

Brushing is good for your hair, providing you brush correctly..and with a PURE boar bristle brush!

Proximity
June 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I guess everyone's hair is different but I've never found my MP bristle and nylon brush wrecking my hair, actually its the opposite.

Ribbon
June 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I have had the same boar bristle brush for over 10 years, the bristles are finally falling out though so picking up a Goody boar bristle brush is on my list of things to do soon.

Mason Pearson looks amazing, but I can't afford it at this time. I know it's a good investment, but Goody will suffice for now!

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
^^ its the principle of natural hair (boar) on natural hair (human) which prevents damage. Though if you have had no problem, then continue, however Madora is quite correct that the nylon content will over time cause damage due to the heat it generates when brushing.

Its a bit like using sulphate shampoo's my hair always felt lovely in the past when ive used them but the difference when swapping to sulphate free was noticeable. I hope that makes sense :)

epigrrl
June 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Mine is an Evolve brand one, and I really do like it. It's about as cheap as the come, though---I paid less than $3 at Walmart (in the ethnic hair section). Someday, when my budget grows a little, I might splurge for a pricier one. Even this is still leaps and bounds better than my old nylon brush.

Jean Stuart
June 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I just bought 2 porcupine bbb. The first is a Conair naturals with bamboo handle, did not love it. The nylon porcupine bristles did not have anything coating the tips so they hurt terribly. I then bought a Goody porcupine bbb and the nylon porcupine bristles have the little ball at the end. It feels wonderful. I like the porcupine style.

heatherbelle
June 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I bought a BBB and used it for two nights, LOVED the results! Glossy shiny hair that was smooth as silk! :) And then my 12 year old daughter highjacked my BBB for her hair! LOL But I think she needs it more than me right now...she is the one with hip length hair...something I have NEVER had in all my life! So I will be buying another BBB this week...for me! :D

Fairlight63
June 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I have bought a bunch of BBB brushes trying to find one that will work on my hair. Most of them won't reach my scalp & I have thin hair.
1.Goody hair brush - would not reach my scalp - just top brushed. Used it on the length to smooth.
2.Kent 100% Boar - I liked it better than the Goody, but still would not reach my scalp.
3.ISINIS - it is supposed to be 100% boar but it felt like it was plastic bristles - it did reach my scalp though.
4. Denman BBB - it had plastic mix in it - felt like it was bad for my hair with the plastic in it, but it did reach my scalp.
5. Mason Pearson - It is the best! It reaches my scalp & after brushing my hair with it, my hair is so soft. If you can afford a MP, I would go with it. I got the Small Extra size & it comes with a cleaning brush also. I bought mine at Tressence.com I think that they have the best price I could find with free shipping, Amazon was higher + you had to pay shipping.

Proximity
June 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ah guys you've ruined my mason pearson brush for me now. Can feel a splurge coming on to buy a pure bristle one.... I shall never be rich, but hopefully I will at least have shiny healthy hair