PDA

View Full Version : Weird snarl, does it happen to you?

Gladtobemom
June 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure what I was thinking. I usually comb out my hair and loosely braid it before bed. Last night, I let it down and then went to bed without doing anything to it.

When I tried to comb it this morning, there was a snarl in the hair that grows just above the nape. It took me about 5 minutes to gently separate and clear the little matted snarl.

Even when I just let my hair hang down all day, I get a snarl in almost the same spot every time. It's so weird, sort of like the hair in that spot gets twisted and ties itself up. If the ends don't get up that high, how does it tie itself into a poofy snarl like that?

Do any of you get a tangle or snarl in the same spot, over and over?

Isabel
June 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I used to get one always after reaching a certain length. BSL of so, I think. For the last couple of months I've just been using quite liberal amounts of conditioner on that spot when washing, and that seems to take care of it.

WaitingSoLong
June 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Nape fuzzies. Only when I do a ponytail.

motormuffin
June 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Mine does this sometimes. Like the hair goes over your shoulders to the front so you push it back over and over...snarl.
I used to sleep with my hair down all the time and just throw it over the end of the bed but now I have a headboard so have to put it up or braid it.

BlazingHeart
June 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I get bad snarlies in that spot when my hair is past waist length, specifically the matting-type knots. I think when my hair is shorter, it can detangle itself. I can remember getting a mat the size of an orange.

~Blaze

Gladtobemom
June 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I get bad snarlies in that spot when my hair is past waist length, specifically the matting-type knots. I think when my hair is shorter, it can detangle itself. I can remember getting a mat the size of an orange.

~Blaze

:brains:Now THAT would freak me out even more. I bet it took a lot of care to untangle it.

SimplyViki
June 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Happens to me all the time, same spot. I've wondered the same thing... how on earth do the ends creep their way up there to tie such complicated knots?

VitisVinifera
June 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Yep, I used to get this all the freaking time! And it wasn't just my nape, but only the right half of my nape! It literally looked like I had back-combed it. So weird, I could never figure it out. It must just be from rubbing on clothing? Now that I've discovered the wonders of oiling, it happens a lot less, especially if I put up everything above my ears and oil the heck out of that bottom-most layer from root to end!

katsrevenge
June 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I get that same thing in the same spot. I get it mostly when I leave the hair either in a ponytail or down and fidget with it. I hate the dratted things.

Oiling... which oils do you use, and do you do it before washing or after?

jojo
June 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yup exact same spot too! I notice if I dont braid my hair its worse. I have only just started braiding nightly for this very reason. I do use satin pillow cases which helps too.

fluffybunny
June 3rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
I get that when I wear my hair down or ponytailed with a flannel shirt. My theory is the shirt collar acts sort of like velcro, so the ends can't untangle themselves as my hair moves. Or something. :confused:

nellreno
June 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I used to get this a lot, always in the same spot at the nape of my neck. I think it was a combination of not using enough conditioner and sleeping with my hair down.

nicolezoie
June 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
It's caused by friction. And, even though my hair is nearly always up, I get friction knots there ALL the time. Not much to be done about it if your hair's down, but if you position your ponytails and updos a little higher it does help some.

heidihug
June 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I get those every day from my hair rubbing on my clothes. And, mind you, I never ever wear my hair down. My wispy nape hair does not get very long, so it doesn't surprise me that it tangles like that. Oh, and I have a short neck, so that doesn't help keep my hair away from friction-y clothing, either.

VitisVinifera
June 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
I get that same thing in the same spot. I get it mostly when I leave the hair either in a ponytail or down and fidget with it. I hate the dratted things.

Oiling... which oils do you use, and do you do it before washing or after?
I use grapeseed, usually after washing and around 80% dry.

AspenSong
June 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Ugh, the nape matt. Yep, totally get that. Same place, same horrid knots. Even my hair there feels different and seems to just snap off. I don't get it. If I wear a braid or ponytail - forget about, it's gonna a nightmare later. Because of that my hair always seems to end up in a high bun. *le sigh*

tigereye
June 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Just with high ponytails, because it falls down with the weight of my hair over the course of the day, and snarls where the hair at the bottom gathers up. It's a pain to get out when I let it down. I wear my hair in a braid to bed, so I don't notice it then, but if I slept with it down, I think my hair would probably get caught there in my necklace.

BlazingHeart
June 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
:brains:Now THAT would freak me out even more. I bet it took a lot of care to untangle it.

My hair detangles with remarkable ease, so it wasn't too horrible. I just pick the knots apart with my fingers and gently finger-comb it through to the ends, and once it was almost all out I started brushing at the ends and worked my way up. I don't think it took me more than five minutes. When my hands are sore or I'm in a hurry, I've hit it with a leave-in detangler and that speeds things up even more.

...but I do have weird hair, very strong and very slick, so it can survive abuse that would cause a lot of harm to someone else's hair. My nape hairs in particular are the coarsest on my head, so I don't worry about putting a little pressure on them to separate out that sort of knot.

~Blaze