PDA

View Full Version : Is your husband your hair ally?

Pages : [1] 2

kellinaturalmom
June 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
In my experience, MEN LOVE LONG HAIR! It doesn't matter what cut or style actually looks good on a particular woman, or if she loves her short hair, men always want it long. And worn down.

My hair was BSL for years, and when I cut it to chin length my husband pretended to like it but I could tell he didn't. He is super happy I am growing it out. That isn't the reason I am doing it, but it is a plus.

So I was curious to know what your husbands/boyfriends think about your hair. Does he love it/want you to cut it/want you to grow it/not care at all? And does it matter to you what he wants?

PinkyCat
June 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Yes! My SO is totally my hair ally! He loves it long and wants it to grow super long as badly as I do. He is very encouraging and supportive. I think it's wonderful and I'm so thankful for him. :crush:

bella77
June 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
my husband could care less. In the 14 years we have been together I have had all lengths and colors. I think he likes whatever gets me out of the house the fastest and is less maintenance( read- less expensive!!)

nellreno
June 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
No male in my life, sorry.

My girlfriend however loves my hair and has forbidden me to cut it short lol. I've gotten her into co-washing too.

PianoPlaye
June 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
I think ally might be a bit strong - he's anti short hair on me (he's seen it) prefers mine long & down but above all accepts me, and that includes my hair.
That I want to be able to sit on it he regards as a quirk, but again, it's all part of me. His opinion on the length doesn't matter much. His influence over the lads who share my shampoo & conditioner is sizeable, if that counts?!

TheMechaGinger
June 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
My boyfriend is stoked that I'm growing my hair out. He has long hair himself that he's never really taken care of so I've been teaching him the lhc ways, it's been really fun. However I am fully confident that if I got up tomorrow and shaved my head he would love me just the same. Which is awesome :D

mulletesque
June 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
My husband isn't keen on my current hair length(s) (hoping he'll like it better as the back grows long), but amazingly he is OK with the WO routine I'm trying, which is really more of a NW routine.

When I was about a week since my last time washing with BS/ACV, I asked him "does my hair really look like it needs to be washed?" and he replied, "no, not at all" :eek:. I asked him again a few days later, and he still said it didn't look like it needed to be washed. I told him I was experimenting with washing my hair "less" for it to be healthier and asked him to let me know if it gets to look like it needs to be washed. He said he would (and I know he would tell me if he really thought it did, because he doesn't hesitate to say when there's something about my hair he doesn't like).

It's been over two weeks with just one WO wash and he still hasn't said it looks dirty. So as unlikely as I would have thought it, it seems like he's going to be my tacit ally on this.

kellinaturalmom
June 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, it is awesome! My husband has seen me with almost every color hair you could think of, and may different lengths, and he kind of just smiles and shakes his head when he sees me with my new hair. He is used to change. And of course he loves me just the same.

Scarlet_Heart
June 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
My husband said he prefers long hair on me and he doesn't get mad when I buy hair toys and products. That's pretty much all I could ask for as he's kind of grumpy by nature! For him that's like super-supportive! Haha.

gogirlanime
June 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
No hubby but my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years supports me, he asks me how I'm doing with my hair journey all the time :) He complements me and says "your hair is getting really long" I asked him about getting a big cut the other day and he said "you act like I'm going to break up with you if you cut your hair, I like it long, but as long as you don't go blonde or it's super short I'll find your hair attractive on you" :D My hair was chin length when we started dating. He likes brunettes, redheads the most, and most lengths. He helps get out of the way and lets me keep my many hair goops at his house so I can do all I need, very supportive :)

PrincessBob
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
He loves my long hair, though I get the feeling he would like me to keep it shorn up to tail-bone, because he worries about me getting it caught in and around things. I have a very tender scalp and he never wants me to be in any pain or discomfort. He would also probably prefer that I not spend too much more on my hair habit right now, but he is amazingly supportive.

Peanutter
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
My ex insisted I cut my hair after the wedding because it kept "getting in his way" and it was literally the day after we got married that I cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder. I've been APL or shorter since then (almost 7 years ago).

My boyfriend met me with chin length 'punjabi red' henna'ed hair, but only after my mom showed him a picture of me with my long pre-wedding hair did he express his preference for long brown hair. Now we're both growing our hair out :)

Audrey Horne
June 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
When I got together with my DH I was bald... So you can say he couldn't care less. I had once a tantrum "I want to shave my hair" thing and he wouldn't let me. But I think it's more because he knew I'd regret it and it can be difficult (for a girl) to be out and about with a shaved head.
I don't know what he thinks about my growing goals. He comments on it maybe once a year and says "it's getting long" haha

Friesiangirl
June 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well, there have been times where I've made choices to please him (cut short and black). He adored it but as pretty as it was, it was devastating. Then I bleached it to get it blonde, something I thought he'd like.

When he saw how sad I was, he suggesting things to minimize damage and has been super supportive towards my goals. He loves woman lmao so short hair, long hair, medium hair, silly hair--doesn't matter.

Thankfully he loves me and therefore supports me quite well.

Hayley

Angeletti
June 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
My hubby is happy with my long hair, he doesn't really seem to care whether I keep it at it's current length or in the future if I decide to grow it longer, as long as I don't chop it to chin he'll be content because he's not a fan of short hair.

Chetanlaiho
June 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
No husband either (although apparently Chinese couples call their boyfriends/girlfriends husband and wife so I guess I could say my husband ;)) my BF says he prefers long hair but I don't think he'd like it much longer than mine (mine is currently waist length, luckily for him that's my goal length). He says he doesn't like any hair shorter than chin-length but in between he doesn't really care either way. He prefers it when I wear it down but as long as he smokes, my hair will be up and covered around him ;) Or at the very least braided (helps with tangles also).

I sometimes ask him what he likes, he'd rather I'd not dye it darker and he's asked me several times if I would dye it blonde (tried to explain why I will never bleach the length of my hair but I think he doesn't really get it xD). Three weeks after I met him I had just re-cut my overgrown blunt bangs and he proposed I go for side swept bangs instead because he wanted something different (I've had blunt ones for over a year).

But, it could be a culture thing also, he grew up in China so he's used to really dark straight hair, and perhaps even longer hair than what you see where I live *shrug*. Maybe that's why blonde hair is such a novelty to him xD

Amraann
June 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have posted this before but I will repeat.

My hubby adores my hair long. The longer it grows the more he has voice how much he prefers it long.
He is very supportive!
He will take interest in talking about my hair with me or even LHC topics and will spare no expense for hair products/ items that I want. He never complains about the cost.

Silverdragn7385
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
My SO adores my hair, and I adore his...we're each others hair ally!

littlenvy
June 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
LOL!
I only laugh because there is a little duality about my DH.
He used to be a hair stylist so he really really likes well cut style on a person be it man or women or child. And at the beginning when I told him that I would like to grow my hair long he was kind of unsure and hinted that I would not grow it past BSL.
But now that its longer and he sees how much pleasure playing with it gives me, he tells me all the time how nice and healthier and shiny it looks. :) So he does support me fully, even when I go crazy and tell him he has to trim my hair on a full moon in leo ;):p

Cowgirl16
June 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
My husband LOVES my long hair! :cool: He's not afraid to talk "hair" with me, so ya definately my hair ally.

BlazingHeart
June 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
My fiance is pretty supportive of whatever I want to do. I'm new to LHC but not new to long hair. My hair was hip length when we met, and a few months after that I did a big chop (pageboy type cut, so eyebrow length in the front and tapered up in the back). He thought he'd be a little disappointed but he discovered that with my hair short, he never put his arm on it or sat on it or laid on it and he liked that, plus he liked the way it looked short. His only complaint about my hair getting longer is how often we have to re-arrange during cuddling because he ends up on my hair. Once in a long while he teases me about the hairmonsters produced by doing laundry, or the amount of my hair that seems to be everywhere.

My housemate is going to teach him to braid my hair, which he's totally willing to do. (I can't braid my own hair due to some bad shoulder injuries.) He's also okay with all of the hair expiramenting and new hairtoys. Just a few minutes ago, I was looking at silk pillowcases and debating getting one, and he said sure, go for it. That's his typical response if we can afford things I want.

My fiance is really a laid-back, easygoing guy who is generally supportive, so it doesn't surprise me that he's supportive of however I want to wear my hair.

~Blaze

skydancer7
June 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
My husband is definitely supportive. He has stated that he prefers long hair, on me specifically. He had girlfriends with short hair and said it was a matter of what suited the individual. His opinion (and my familie's opinion) is that long hair suits me.

However, I recently wanted to chop off some indigo'd length and I love the new chin length bob. He never complains or says anything negative about it, but is obviously more involved and supportive when I say I am growing it back out.

He has also "saved" me many times, when I am feeling impulsive and want to chop or use permanent dyes. His concern is always that he knows I would be unhappy afterwards and is trying to help prevent that situation.

So yeah, he's my ally :D

Sunshineliz
June 2nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
In my experience, MEN LOVE LONG HAIR! It doesn't matter what cut or style actually looks good on a particular woman, or if she loves her short hair, men always want it long. And worn down.

My hair was BSL for years, and when I cut it to chin length my husband pretended to like it but I could tell he didn't. He is super happy I am growing it out. That isn't the reason I am doing it, but it is a plus.

That's exactly what happened to me! Except mine was longer and I chopped it to just barely shoulder. DH tried to say it looked good but he had that panicked look in his eyes.:laugh:

I wanted it longer anyway, more like APL or BSL, perhaps longer. I finally got a true opinion out of him after nagging him. He really wants me to have waist-length again. Now that I found LHC hopefully it will be long and healthy and I have more ideas for updos when I need it out of the way.

HairStickler
June 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
My husband is appreciative that I don't spend money on haircuts. I think he also appreciates that I make most of my hairtoys as opposed to buying them, because it is cheaper. Little does he know.... ;)

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
My husband likes better long hair on me. But he he hates how long it takes to detangle and style it.

AnnaJamila
June 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
He likes it long, I went ahead and trimmed it a little bit yesterday (the ends were getting crunchy) and when I told him over the phone he said, "Oh no, but I like it long!!!" When I explained how much I cut he was VERY relieved!!

Haha, I sure did luck out in my choice of hubbies! :love:

MissManda
June 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
My DF seems to really like my hair long; he loves to touch it, brush it, and nuzzle me when it's down. :crush: When we first got together, I had a hobbit hair perm, so I don't think it really matters how long or short my hair is, although he does prefer long a little more than short which is great for me because I feel the same way. If I were to cut my hair into a pixie, he'd probably be a little upset, but I don't think it would take him a long time to accept it.

He prefers that I wear my hair down, obviously and can't stand the sight of it being cut or trimmed. :p He doesn't mind that I trim, just as long as he doesn't watch. lol

One interesting thing that has happened recently is that he's taken a strong liking for my naturally straight texture. When I first started growing out my perm and extremely layered hair, I'd wear it wavy all the time, which he liked. Now he likes it when I just leave my hair alone and not put braid or bun waves in it. I used to really feel ashamed of my natural texture and sometimes I still feel that way, but it always makes me feel good when he says nice things about my hair in its natural state.

Alun
June 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
My wife doesn't really care about the length of my hair.

She does want me to dye it to cover the grey, though, and she can't really understand why I don't want to use synthetic dye. Obviously, synthetic dye can damage hair, and with long hair the damage is not getting cut off, but then if you're here you probably know that already.

I have used henna or a henna mix with good results, but as it gets greyer even my brown henna mix leaves blond or even yellow streaks.

I guess I need to figure out how to colour it naturally at this stage of greying before DW gets more insistent. I think I know what I need to do, but I don't suddenly want to appear with jet black hair overnight.

She cares far more about me having grey hair than I do myself.

Knittycat
June 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
My fiance likes long hair. If I cut it short, he'd still be cool with it. He understands that in the end, it's my hair and a part of my body, and therefore I get to decide what I want to do with it. But he still likes long hair best :)
He used to have long hair. It was BSL (can guys have bra strap length hair?) but he cut it about a year before he met me. I really wish it were still long, but he never cared for it, so it was a tatty snarly mess all the time. He was dead sexy with long hair though...(he's still dead sexy anyway)

dulce
June 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
At 59,society in general tells me I am too old for long flowing hair.My husband loves it long and gray,he dislikes the short permed dos so many older ladies get. He also dislikes cloured hair on older ladies as he feels it doesn't look natural.So He's my support when I get the looks and stares or comments.

dulce
June 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Oops,"cloured" should read coloured.

elbow chic
June 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Mine's more of a boob guy than a hair guy.

mulletesque
June 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
My wife doesn't really care about the length of my hair.

She does want me to dye it to cover the grey, though....
I think grey hair in a man's beard can be more noticeable than grey hair on the head. If you have grey in your beard and you don't color it already, you might give it a try. Coloring your beard might be enough to make her not worry as much about the grey in your length.

You may have been through this already... just offering an idea. :)

CrystalStar
June 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
My OH supports my hair and always makes nice comments. :) He also hides my scissors for me when I'm getting scissor-happy. :laugh:

Heartwillfollow
June 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
DH is supportive and interested in my journey to grow my hair longer, but he actually liked my hair when I had it really short lol ... "that was interesting to hear" lol ... Guess he more of a body guy then hair also...

ellen732
June 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
My boyfriend is definitely supportive, he will even pick up extra chopsticks when he eats out and brings them home, sands them down, and paints them for me with paint from his workshop.

IcarusBride
June 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have no SO but my brother and father love it!
My sisters love to play with my hair too and always ask me to wash and oil and comb their hair for them. They refuse to let me put it up thought :D

kellinaturalmom
June 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Mine's more of a boob guy than a hair guy.

LOL! Aren't they all?:rolleyes:

kmoc123
June 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yes he is and I am his ally...his hair is bsl (he doesn't like that term) and mine is tailbone....I brush his hair into his ponytail every morning...he is afraid to brush mine, but likes to touch it and feel it...well...you know when....

Mrspuddinhead
June 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
My husband is the kind of man that believes that women with short hair aren't nearly as feminine or beautiful as women with long hair. So therefore he would never allow me to wear it short again. He adores my long hair and is encouraging me to grow it quite long. He loves to play with it and smell it while snuggling on the couch and watching UFC. It is very important to me what my husband thinks. I'm growing my hair out for me but partially for him.

hyettf16
June 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
My boyfriend likes my hair. He says not to cut it but I asked him what if I shaved my head and he just shrugged. He said that there was a girl he was with (not a girlfriend but he liked her and they used to hang out) gave him a bad haircut and then shaved her own head, lol. Now his hair in to the middle of his back and I love it. I try suggesting to him better ways to take care of it but he refuses to put a lot of work into his hair even though he wants to grow it long.

GermanCurl
June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I started growing out my hair last year and my goal was BSL which I reached about a month ago. Hubby likes my hair long and suggested " just let it grow..". So I will. My next goal is waist.

Avital88
June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well i think mine is spoield,he really doesnt care about it.He never saw me with something shorter than bsl though so that could be a factor

Zesty
June 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
BF convinced me to grow my hair out several years ago. When we started dating nearly four years ago my hair was boyishly short, and since he prefers long hair (and I didn't have much of a preference) I decided to let it grow out. He used to beg me to not get haircuts.

Now that it's approaching waist, though, he's recently mentioned that he wouldn't want it much longer than where it is... But that may have something to do with the fact that it's always in his face, when we're cuddling or hugging or driving in his car with the windows down. And I may or may not sometimes "hair attack" him on purpose. :D Maybe he'll like it better now that I'm learning to tame it with updos. :p

caiti42
June 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
My bf is my partner in crime. He helped pick out my flexi8's online and surprised me yesterday with a bottle of jojoba oil :)

I get yelled at (jokingly) if I leave my hair down and scowled at (again
Jokingly) if I use heat.

He's so supportive and is doing his best to help
me reach my goals :)

AlleyKitten
June 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
DH loves my hair. After my last (disastrous!) salon cut, he said "You should let me cut it, I'll only take off an eighth of an inch because I want your braid to get to here (tailbone)". He always comments when I have it down to comb it -- he would love it if I left it down more, but it's just such a hassle.

He's a benign neglect guy. I've managed to talk him into some better habits, and he has great genetics, his hair is indestructible. The other day, he was combing it (he recently bought a ton of wooden combs because I keep losing them!), tilted his head back, and commented that it was at his waistband that way. I'll make an LHCer of him yet! He just leaves it in a ponytail all the time, but he likes it when I braid it, especially rope and hawser braids. I should teach him to do it himself...

Guenhwyvar
June 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mine DBF prefers my hair long, and has told me to wear it down more.

He has started to warn me I'm getting a bit obsessed though. I think it is a side-effect of the LHC to buy different products, hair toys and start taking pictures and measuring xD.

Nera
June 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
mine doesn't care

Nera
June 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
*which is fine with me by the way

Freki
June 2nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
My husband prefers short hair on women.

He's always supportive of me and loves me no matter what, but I know he would be absolutely thrilled if I suddenly decided to cut my hair to chin length. Too bad that's not going to happen. :p

It's just about the only area where we disagree.

Zesty
June 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
He has started to warn me I'm getting a bit obsessed though. I think it is a side-effect of the LHC to buy different products, hair toys and start taking pictures and measuring xD.
Mine too. I S&Ded in front of him and he was like "That's obsessive." He also thinks it's a little weird that I'm always on the "hair forum," but he doesn't say much because his hobbies are dorky and he's always on forums for them. He doesn't know that I take pictures and stuff though... not yet, anyway. ;) But oh well, he has his obsessions and I have mine and we tease each other a bit but it's not a big deal.

Sunshineliz
June 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
He used to have long hair. It was BSL (can guys have bra strap length hair?) but he cut it about a year before he met me. I really wish it were still long, but he never cared for it, so it was a tatty snarly mess all the time. He was dead sexy with long hair though...(he's still dead sexy anyway)

Mine grew his out for three years and it was past BSL. I very occasionally looked really good--he's a curly and when he got ringlets it was gorgeous. But mostly it was like you described, tatty and snarly mess! I was glad when he cut it. Now that I joined LHC, I wonder what it really could have looked like with proper care.:hmm:

Mine DBF prefers my hair long, and has told me to wear it down more.

Hahaha mine too. I think he got a little weirded out when I started taking pictures of HIS hair.:D (Gotta document those curls he is learning to take care of!:eyebrows:)

Guenhwyvar
June 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hahaha mine too. I think he got a little weirded out when I started taking pictures of HIS hair.:D (Gotta document those curls he is learning to take care of!:eyebrows:)

Mine has lovely curls too. I will never get him to do anything special for them though....

Layered, shoulder length, but very thick and ringletly.

julliams
June 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have always been the one colour, but all different lengths. He doesn't seem to like one over the other but I'm pretty sure he didn't like my "Meg Ryan" (that wasn't really Meg Ryan) that I cut when my son was born. Other than that, I never receive a compliment or anything that would suggest that it's special to him. I think he is the kind of guy that would only notice if it was really really not nice.

WittyWordsmith
June 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
When my DH met me 10+ years ago, I had chin-length red hair. Since then, it's been every length and color, from pixie to my waist. He's always loved it at whatever length, but he is much more excited for me to wear it long. He adores long hair, and everything about it.

While he teases me some about being on the forum so much and trying so many different things, I know that he really doesn't care what I do or how I get where I'm going, as long as my hair keeps growing. He's told me he wants me to grow it as long as I can, so long as I'm not kicking it down the road in front of me, lol.

I'm pretty fortunate that he's so supportive. Since I've been actively taking care of it, he makes a point to tell me how good it looks and help me out if I need it. Besides the new influx of bottles in the bathroom, he really has no complaints. :D

He even mentioned starting CO washing after he's done with the shampoos. I'm good with that!

That poor man has no idea what I have in store for him! :laugh:

cheetahfast
June 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
I don't have a husband or boyfriend, but my best guy friend supports me growing my hair out. His is so long, I'm jealous.

Carolyn
June 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Mr Cranky has no idea I have hair. I have no idea if he likes long or short. Since I grew my hair long for me it really doesn't matter. He's not interested in any of my hobbies. I'm not interested in golf or fishing. Coexistence.

silverstars
June 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
The last time I decided to chop my hair off I kept quiet as a surprise for the DBF and when he saw it he wasn't that enthused. He said immediately that he missed my ponytail. I think he really likes that I'm growing it out now. I catch him smiling when he sees how long its getting (approaching BSL from a chin length bob).

Safira
June 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
I ask Him, if He is my hair ally. He looked me like I was crazy and started to laugh :D

Well, He doesen´t say anything to my conditioners, sometimes he looks stunned "do you really need THAT MUCH??"
And He just give me that look, when I said that hair has different kind of needs.

He is very patient and thinks I´m girly girl, but on the other hand, he loves my hair. And I think He´s proud that I take good care of my hair.

katsrevenge
June 3rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
The BF most definitely is a supporter. I think he likes playing with it more then I do. At this point if I just decided to whack it off one day I think he'd be rather sad. (He'd like me either way. When we met I had very short hair.)

Atira
June 3rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure, really. My DH always tells me how pretty I am but rarely says anything about my hair specifically even when I wear it down and fix it nice.

The only times he's says something lately is the one time someone in my moms group straightened it (last time that happened was YEARS ago) and then re curled it. It looked fried (it is kinda damaged and splltty but it really showed it in that style) and poofy and kinda Barbie-like. Yikes.

It bothered me that he commented on how it was sexy when my hair is NEVER like that... but maybe it's just a "different is cool" kinda thing. I think many men don't tend to notice things until they change... drastically.

Debra83
June 3rd, 2011, 01:06 AM
I had told my df when we started dating two years ago that I was growing out my hair...and he told me that he really liked long hair, so I was glad for that. Well, he must have meant it because he plays with it sometimes when we're cuddling, and he seems to really like it when it is naturally wavy, because he always comments on how "nice" it is then, or "looks really good", without me even fishing for compliments!!! Sometimes, it hits him too how much longer it is from when we first started dating, because he'll draw a line on my back with his finger to show me where it's at without my even asking! and say things like, "It's growing fast" or "it's getting long!". (it's not by LHC standards though, but I don't tell him that!!!)

MonaLisa
June 3rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
My DBF is clueless. The other day my hair was wet and he offered me a blow-fryer :D he just doesn't pay attention!!! i told him i haven't used it for months and won't...and he was so puzzled and asked why, when i told him ' because i want it THIS long!' and showed somewhere between TBL and classic he got really excited! :) it's actually him who wants it classic, and Im more for TBL...
Also today he was telling me about some super cool EVOO on discount in some supermarket ( he likes to cook), i replied ' oh lets go!!! my hair wants!!' and he gave me such unforgettable o.O look :D

So I wouldn't say ally...but a dumb little companion :D

GoatLady
June 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
My husband is also growing his hair (and beard) long. We share hair elstics and I may get him into CO washing, if it works well for me.

And I think he does prefer me with long hair, although he has never complained when it was short. He's pretty easy going.

QMacrocarpa
June 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
My husband is also growing his hair (and beard) long. We share hair elstics and I may get him into CO washing, if it works well for me.
Lucky gal! I wish I could get mine to grow his beard longer, but he prefers it short and trim. He likes longer hair on me-- he voted "longer" when I was at shoulder-length and deciding whether to cut back to chin or grow longer. And he's more likely to volunteer to comb it when it's longer. He's also been a good sport about taking the occasional picture (the term "action shot" as applied to hair toys is a big source of amusement). I'm not sure that he would take it so well if I were less of a benign-neglecter. I don't go on about hair-length goals to him, or spend a bunch of time on my hair, and my tastes are inexpensive, so I don't think he sees a downside.

Kumiko033
June 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
My boyfriend is my hair-enemy, he loves super short hair to bob-length..anything longer.....
He'll hate it.
It's really a pain but he's supportive as long as it's cute and he can see my face (:

Ashenputtel
June 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Wow a lot of you are married! Here (especially in French Canada) it is rather uncommon to be married before the age of 30.

My boyfriend met me with past shoulder lenght highlted blond hair. Then around APL I died it orangy-red and he loved it. Now I'm getting rid of the dye and my ahsy tone is coming through. I think he really prefered red but like it anyway. He usually prefers brunette, but there is no way I'll ever become one.

He likes hair shoulder lenght and longer.

Sunshineliz
June 3rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
My DBF is clueless. The other day my hair was wet and he offered me a blow-fryer :D he just doesn't pay attention!!! *snip* Also today he was telling me about some super cool EVOO on discount in some supermarket ( he likes to cook), i replied ' oh lets go!!! my hair wants!!' and he gave me such unforgettable o.O look :D

So I wouldn't say ally...but a dumb little companion :D

LOL Thanks for the laugh. I love this! DH has found some of the things here a little weird too. He almost marched our daughter upstairs for a shampoo when he discovered I'd been CO washing her hair.:)

Wow a lot of you are married! Here (especially in French Canada) it is rather uncommon to be married before the age of 30.

We're not all under 30 either.:) (Of course that doesn't apply to me as I was 20 when married--but a lot of people don't display their age here on LHC. Be careful what you assume.;))

Quixii
June 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
DBF is very encouraging of my hair. He compliments it frequently. And I would say that he is my hair ally. :)

Edit: Just remembered a story relating to that. About a week ago, I cut maybe half an inch off of the ends of the hair. So when I saw him on Skype that night, I said to him, "I cut my hair." His eyes got wide and he got kind of a defensive look as he said, "...how much?" I held up the ends to show him, and he said, "3/4 an inch? Half an inch?" I was shocked that he got it right, but I guess it shows that he pays attention. :)

Xandergrammy
June 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
My DH loves my hair and is my chief enabler of my hair toy addiction. :inlove:

JuliaDancer
June 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
My boyfriend loves my hair long. He wishes I would wear it down more, but I have to tell him it's to prevent damage and keep it looking pretty! Anytime I have my hair down, especially when I brush it, he compliments it. I was contemplating cutting it one day after hanging out with a friend who has a cute bob, and he was horrified. I quickly put the thought out of my mind. =)

redheadlynn
June 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
My guy couldn't care less, as long as my hair isn't fried. He does prefer long to short, but if short really really made me happy, he wouldn't mind.

kellinaturalmom
June 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
My boyfriend loves my hair long. He wishes I would wear it down more, but I have to tell him it's to prevent damage and keep it looking pretty! Anytime I have my hair down, especially when I brush it, he compliments it. I was contemplating cutting it one day after hanging out with a friend who has a cute bob, and he was horrified. I quickly put the thought out of my mind. =)

Beware of friends with cute bobs! It almost always makes you want one!

mrs_coffee
June 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
He supports and encourages me no matter what. I've had my hair as long as APL when we got married, and as short as a pixie, which I had for 3+ years and loved. He never said anything negative about my hair when it was short. He thinks short hair can be very sexy as long as there is a beautiful face to go with it. I asked him the other day how long I should let my hair grow and he said "As long as you want it. You're beautiful no matter what your hair looks like." I love him.

Seeshami
June 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Muffin boyfriend denies the love affair with my hair he secretly fosters when I am not looking. But my head FEELS the love when he decides to pet me. And my prankster ways of convincing him I am going to chop it off does cause something like anger. He will never admit it though, so don't ask him.

jujube
June 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
My guy doesn't care at all, and frankly that's how I like it. I don't care about his hair, nor his shoes or eyebrows or anything really, as long as he doesn't show up at a formal dinner in flip flops with white socks. I expect him to be the same with me, since I've met way too much guys who were way too much into my being attractive. I'm not a trophy, and I won't let anyone else "polish" me. I take care of myself, and I'm attractive whether I have hip-length hair or a buzz cut. Anyone who doesn't think so isn't worth my time.

Prettyeyes23
June 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
My fiance is definitely my ally! He is the reason that I started to grow my hair long. He trims my hair and he helped me henna a few months ago.

wandlimb
June 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
My husband likes my long hair and helps me wash and dry it sometimes, but he can't quite understand why I'm growing it longer than it is already and he HATES the way I shed everywhere.

vintage88
June 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM
my boyfriend says he likes my hair no matter how long it is, and he is supportive even though he finds it funny that I put olive oil in my hair, and he does complain it gets in the way lol. But I do think he prefers it long, as a year ago I cut to just above shoulders and he seemed quite shocked when I saw him, and kept saying he liked it but I think really he prefers it long. He is also supportive of my silver hairs too :)

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
My fiance is the type of man who likes women to look feminine, he loves long hair and skirts and things like that, but also likes women to look very natural, ie not super huge amounts of makeup and stuff. He loves my hair, it's been longish ever since we met although I have cut it back once. I'm not sure how long it was but it must have been somewhere close to waist :( and I cut it back to flip length, because I didn't care for it properly and it was all damaged and weird...he hated it, and I regretted it too because I did like my long hair, I just hankered after a change.
BUT, now my hair is quite healthy and I'm growing it out again. It's taken a little over a year to go from flip to BSL, and I anticipate at least another year to go from BSL to waist.
He patiently listens to me faff on about the chemical components of various hair products, never tells me I look dagggy when I'm turbanning it while I do my SMT, and even did my first measure for me the other day :)

bettylibertine
June 11th, 2011, 05:19 AM
My partner tries his very best to be supportive, and seems to like it long but last
night I think I found his limits:

Me: What would you do if I grew my hair down to my knees?

DBF: Errr.. umm... o.O That would be.. err... cool I guess?

:laugh: :p

He tolerates my ramblings about hair and even tries to seem interested even
though I know he must be bored out of his mind :laugh:

So perhaps in some ways he's a hair ally, but I think he's mostly just been forced to come along for the ride. :eyebrows:

lesbia
June 11th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Yes, my boyfriend love long hair and he support me during my grow at all!

LunaMoon
June 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I Think most of us are older than you think... I am 40, got married when I was 38.

Well about my DH...
He is very supportive, he is my hair ally for sure.
He loves my hair and is always encouraging me with nice comments. When I change my routine, he is always asking how is it going, if I need to buy more stuff for my hair...
He always ask about “my community” - LHC, if I am participating, etc.
He just complains a bit about what I buy for my hair, he thinks I am to cheap... :D

sugarpixie10988
June 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM
My boyfriend loves long hair, and loves it when my hair is long. He was excited when I decided to grow it out. :)

boomtownrat
June 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM
My fiance loves long hair, but when I cut my hair into a pixie to get rid of old dye last year, he actually loved it after he got used to the shortness. Eventually he said he wasn't sure he would like it as much if I were to grow it out. When I had it about shoulder length he liked that too, but I actually think he was most enthusiastic about the pixie (unfortunately, I feel awkward with a pixie cut now that I'm not thin like I was in my twenties). He's not one to lie anyway, but these were unsolicited opinions, so I know he really meant them. :)

He does support my decision to grow my hair, but at the moment I'm not really planning to grow it past BSL.

HuggyBear
June 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM
My SO is most definitely my hair ally. I truly believe that I would not have the long, natural hair I have today if it wasn't for him. When we met almost 16 yrs ago my hair was around SL and dyed to death. I had been torturing my hair for many years prior. He was the one who convinced me to leave my hair alone and stop changing it. He said stop the coloring and just let it grow. Since then, I have kept it no shorter than BSL and have not dyed it. I'm very glad he convinced me to let it grow and leave it be. He is very supportive of my hair growing goals and tells me all the time how much he loves my hair. :)

nobeltonya
June 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
He's probably the main reason why I have long hair.. otherwise, I'd still be between boy short and ASL.. of course, he gets irritated that I'm always playing with it, and keeps threatening to cut it off [playing].

dmarie63
June 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
My fiance doesn't dislike long hair, but when I had to cut it he thought it made me look not quite so young.

UltraBella
June 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
My husband is happy as long as I am happy. He has seen it everywhere from BSL to TBL, blonde, copper red, brunette. It's all just fine with him. He does, however, feel very sorry for the vacuums my hair keeps destroying !

HairStickler
June 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM
UltraBella, my husband feels the same way about vacuums! I have to pull/cut my shed hair out of the roller every time or it builds up and burns out the motor.

TheMonkeyWench
June 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
My boyfriend loves my hair, he brushes/braids/plays with it all the time. It wasn't always this way for me though.
I had a very unsupportive boyfriend when I was 19 who convinced me to get a pixie cut (oh god did the stylist ever balk at cutting off my armpit length hair). It was awful and looked horrible on me and took FOREVER to grow out. It was a very valuable lesson for me. Ever since I've dated people who enjoy long hair, thank goodness.

GoatLady
July 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have now been a member of LHC for a bit over a month and have to report that my husbeast is a wonderful hair ally. He encourages hair toy purchases and today he drove me to Sally Beauty so I could get myself a Tangle Teezer, wooden comb, and some Proclaim Natural 7 Oil. And he gave me a wonderful compliment saying that my hair has been looking a lot thicker lately. Oh, and he dug out his hot glue gun so I could make myself some hair flowers. :crush:

Kyla
July 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
DBF has been occasionally braiding my hair lately when I can't finish it myself (I have a hard time doing it without a mirror for some reason). It's very sweet. :) He has always been extremely awesome about my hair.

October
July 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
My husband doesnt care much. I lie and tell him my goal is waist (it's really TBL) and he says, "too long". :rolleyes: We shall see. I never listen to him anyway.

suraque
July 8th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Whenever I'm talking about ~maybe~ cutting my hair to my mother.

My stepfather is like
lololurnotcuttingyerhair.

Hylia
July 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yes, he has longer hair than me! I am so jealous

Asahinasan
July 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
my hubby is still unsure about this whole thing... hes known for a while that I was "growing it out" but I never really verbalized what that actually meant... He has known for a LONG while that *I* prefer long hair (but typically get bored, or distracted, or have too much damage to make it there) and he has always said that he could care less how long my hair is... hes been with me through evil military pixie cut, through 27" hair, and back and forth over the 8 years we have been together...

He is JUST NOW starting to understand that when I say grow it out, I mean LONG LONG... not just to my shoulders! haha, and hes starting to understand why I'm doing certain things to my hair, and not others... he actually asked me the other day "so your really serious about this hair stuff right?" uuuuuhhhh... YEAH! hahaha

in other words he could care less what I do with my hair, but I doubt I will ever be able to teach him to braid my hair for me...

Sewas
July 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Nope. Been married for 34 years now, and my husband has always wanted me in short hair. In 2008 I decided to let my hair grow. It is right about waist length now. He is always quick to complain when he finds my long hair strands in the shower or bathroom floor so I am very meticulous about keeping things tidy. He seems to be coming around more and more. He is always glad to take my hair growth photos.

ALYSSA
July 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
my boyfriend pretends sometimes like he doesnt care but he does! Alot! it makesme happy. he's really honest If he doesnt like it he will tell me but he loves my hair at hip length! he cant keep his paws off. hes so supportive it can get annoying haha he never lets me trim! i have little to none splits but every so often i feel better to trim anyways he hides my scissors..anyways he loves it :) *sigh* boys....

CariadA
July 8th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I know DH likes long hair, but that's not why I have it long. He also likes pixies; he only likes one extreme or the other. :)

I like my hair long.

DH and I visited his hometown last week. We saw several friends of his that we haven't seen since our wedding last October. Two of his best guy friends noticed how long my hair had gotten and complimented it.

I have a male friend who always says that no matter how beautiful a woman is, she would always be more beautiful with long hair.

GoatLady
July 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
We shall see. I never listen to him anyway.

Sounds like a good strategy. ;)

SarahKayfa
July 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
When I got together with my DH I was bald...

Me too AudreyHorne! I met my ex-husband when I had shaved off my hair. He always liked my hair cropped in a pixie and was pretty vocal about the preference, meanwhile, he kept his hair long! To be fair, I look awesome is short hair.

My current partner has a strong preference for longish hair (shoulder-mid back) and we met when I was sporting a chin-length, black bob. I was ready for a change and we'd been dating awhile, and he suggested that I might want to start growing my hair out for our wedding. It was the first of many informal proposals. So I hacked off the black dye at 3" and have been growing my hair since.

Becky9679
July 9th, 2011, 12:22 AM
My husband definitely prefers my hair long. I've only had it short once since we've been together and although he was supportive at the time after it grew back some he confided that he honestly didn't like it. I have mentioned a couple of times about shaving it all off as that's a crazy whim I sometimes have and he says he'd rather I didn't but if that's what I really want to go ahead. I doubt I ever actually would do this but it's nice to know that he would support me if I did.

He also seems to like me wearing my hair up in a bun which I've only started doing regularly quite recently. He thinks it's 'cute' :inlove:

GoddessLocks
July 9th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Me and my Husband have been together for about a total of 9 years and he has seen my hair many lengths and colors. He loves it long, but also loves when I go do something drastic. I think overall he prefers long hair though because I recently asked if he would like for me to have my hair really long again, and this time and anytime I have asked, he's always said yes. :)

Kyaatje
July 9th, 2011, 01:14 AM
My husband (not married but after 18 years it feels silly calling him boyfriend) likes it longer. He never said anything though when I shaved it had it all sorts of crazy colors had half of my head shaved .. the only time he protested was when I had fake dreads : he didn't like the feel of them
Funny was that not so long ago I asked him to descrive my hair (not for hair reasons) and he said my hair was medium lenght since my hair was at that time closing on BSL I took it as a sign to keep on growing !
The only thing he wil say unsollicited is that he likes me with braids (fishbone being his fav atm)

clarinette
July 9th, 2011, 01:30 AM
My husband (same as Kyaatie, I feel weird calling the father of my children my "boyfriend" :D ) is all for it. I've had longer hair before I met him, I think when we met I was around BSL or even shorter, but I know he has a sort of "short hair phobia" lol. He never spoke of it , didn't want to influence my choice, but it is quite strong in him.Now I'm quite the feminist, but somehow I just understood his preference, since I shared it......No fighting over hair in my house :D

Jing
July 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM
My fiancé is just utterly confused over my recent habit of putting "weird stuff" in my hair. He's taken to asking "is this for your hair?" every time I mention wanting to buy something. I can't actually get a clear answer out of him about his preferences as far as length goes, because he thinks what I do with my hair is entirely up to me, but he thinks my all-over-the-place, face-framing mega waves are cute. He especially likes pointing this out when I get frustrated with them. He did say a very short style I had while growing out my 5 mm trim really suited me, but he's never made any indication that he prefered that to my current chin length. I may have to force him to voice an opinion some day, just for the record.

Cania
July 9th, 2011, 01:43 AM
My boyfriend loves my hair long. He just doesn't find short hair attractive. He does think there is such a thing as hair that is "too long" though, and I agree that on me, hair of a certain length wouldn't suit me. He was looking on the forum with me yesterday at some of your hair (that wouldn't look right on me) and commenting on how nice he thought it was though, so he's open minded :P
Luckily he would never be a pain if I did something he didn't like. It does matter to be, though. Fortunate that we agree on lengths that would look nice on me, I suppose!

Sundial
July 9th, 2011, 02:52 AM
DH has been giving me mixed vibes. When I asked him what he thinks about classic length he said it's too long and asked me to stop after another inch.

The funny thing is that this happened 3 months ago and whenever I ask him to help with my monthly trim, he always takes off less than what I asked and would persuade me against cutting more when I ask him to take more off. And I'm already past that inch we spoke about. Weird much? :rolleyes:

He does help me with a lot of hair stuff though like taking pictures, trimming, getting hair products from out of the country. :inlove: can't trust him to get everything on the shopping list though! He always deviates and is distracted by other stuff

kellsouth
July 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM
My husband is vehemently against me cutting it--which is great!
But on a day-to-day basis, he doesn't seem to care about it much. He's not the type who likes to play with it. I don't think he's ever even touched it, to be honest. And he may have mentioned once or twice that it looked nice. :( Gee. I hadn't really thought about it before. Now I'm kinda bummed!

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to remember if my husband has ever commented on my hair, except to point out that it was in his face. He has seen it go from long to short and back again a few times and never batted an eye about my hair decisions. Yesterday he said something funny though, both he and our son are due for a hair cut and when I suggested that maybe we should go do that on Saturday our son replied, "Mommy get hair cut too." "No, no." I replied and my husband said, "Mommy's doing a hippie thing." which I can only guess was a reference to my current experiment with baking soda and vinegar rinses. *rolls eyes*

TheMonkeyWench
July 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have to post again because my bf is too awesome. I showed him a curlformers youtube video a month ago, saying they looked cool but expensive (I've been experimenting with lots of no-heat curling techniques like sock buns and rag rolls and such). Today I wake up to find a package on my desk chair and it's a bunch of curlformers! He says 'your hair is really pretty when its all curled even if I can't run my fingers through it' <3

ennuideluxe
July 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hubby has been around from BSL+ to stubble, from platinum to black to pink and back and forth, and he doesnt say a word. If I'm happy, he's happy.

The one thing he really really likes is if my hair smells good. He comes home at the end of the day every day, gives me a big hug, and sniffs my hair, regardless of length.

Five mins before he gets home, I always mist my hair with diluted rosewater, and he's a pretty happy fella. :)

Arianoor
July 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
BF was really excited when I told him this weekend that I was going to go for classic at least. His eyes got kind of big and wide like a kid with an awesome present. I've avoided even trimming it for the last two years because he hates the idea of it being shorter, but I had no idea that he would be so happy that I am now actively trying to get it longer! (Of course, now I will have to explain that some trimming will be necessary!)

I did date a guy a few years ago that wanted me to cut it off, it was almost TBL at the time. :agape: He told me that it would look better at collarbone (which is honestly a really bad length on me.) Of course, he also critised my cleaning (my house is supper clean!) and tried to monitor my diet. Yep, that relationship lasted all of two months! :mad:

Alaia
July 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
So my DH doesn't know my hair goal because he's very definite that he won't like anything beyond Hip length on me and anything longer would be horrible.

I'm growing to Knee, and he'll have to deal with it! :tongue:

Cirafly24
July 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
My fiance doesn't know what he wants. He loves how my hair looks long, but he doesn't like when it's in his face or he gets tangled in it...then he thinks I have "entirely too much hair!"

He also thinks that it doesn't look any longer than it did two years ago. Haha, it's grown over a foot in that time! He refuses to believe that this is the longest it's ever been...he thinks it looked longer when he first met me (which was when it was at about APL) :p He's obviously confused!

ArienEllariel
July 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I did date a guy a few years ago that wanted me to cut it off, it was almost TBL at the time. :agape: He told me that it would look better at collarbone (which is honestly a really bad length on me.) Of course, he also critised my cleaning (my house is supper clean!) and tried to monitor my diet. Yep, that relationship lasted all of two months! :mad:

Wow. He wouldn't have made it two weeks with me... Glad you found someone who appreciates you for who you are!

layla<33
July 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
my bf of 2 yrs is more impatient on my hair getting hip length than i am :D *pictures me and bf yelling at my scalp GROW! GROW FASTER! GROW FASTER NOW!* lol were so silly together :D

PraiseCheeses
July 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
BF of two years has mixed responses to my hair. He told me a couple years ago that he loves that I leave my hair long (meaning between APL and BSL) while all the other women cut theirs off and style it heavily... but when I told him I was growing it out past my waist he said, "Really? That always looks so disproportionate!" (I think he'll change his mind once it gradually gets there.) He's vaguely interested in what I'm putting on my head to wash and condition because I'm "a kook," but he has no idea whether I'm wearing hairsticks or scarves or clips or elastics. But he's quite a bit older than I am, and grew up before it became common/encouraged/expected for men to take interest in the beauty routines of their partners. I do think it's often somewhat of a generational thing.

However, he has learned to give a great head rub... :D

sycamoreboutiqu
July 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Hmm, kinda yes, kinda no. I think he thinks it is a bit weird that I am growing past waist at my age (57) and when I was younger he really liked my short lived - super short blonde style (not really me at all). He isn't negative though so that is good.

Funny thing though, today he made a positive comment out of the blue (doesn't usually comment at all ) when my hair actually looked pretty crappy. I had just woken up, stumbling to the coffee maker with a messy loose ponytail. I had put too much coconut oil on the day before right after washing, and hadn't combed through it very well before it was put up. By this point the next day it looked like frayed rope.

He touched the ponytail and told me it looked nice.

I am now trying to decide if that was an attempt at flattery or irony.

hairwap
July 16th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Long hair should be for all wife & husband, son or daughter. A family of long hair would be amazing

Dark Queen
July 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I'm married now, but in all my life, I've never met a guy that didn't like it :). DH is no exception, I loved his response when I first asked him how he felt: "It's not too long, unless it drags on the ground and trips you". LOL!:D

kellsouth
July 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
My husband has never seemed to even notice my hair, except when the shed ones get stuck in his toes at the bathroom sink. But then, this week (since I've joined LHC and started changing things up) I was brushing it out after work, and he walked over and sniffed it. "Your hair smells good." I have no idea how it could, since it had been a day since my last wash, but I'll take it!!

KatiSasha
July 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
My DH loves my hair even though it's a big hot mess right now and wants me to grow it. Although he does get this funny quizzical look on his face when I tell him that I trimmed some (I mostly do dusting) - "how is it gonna grow if you keep cutting it? :)"

We are taking off on a mission to South America for 6 months and he decided to stop cutting his hair while there and his hair is super thick and wurly, so I've been clueing him in on a CG routine, but calling it a curly hair routine LOL

JellyBene
July 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
My boyfriend was so sad when I cut my long hair short. I explained to him that there was a lot of damage that needed to be taken off and now he understands, but he can't wait for my hair to be long. However, he LOVES how soft and healthy it is now! And he always supports me in my all natural hair care, like ACV rinses, egg washes, WO ect.

pennyroyal
July 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
My DH is extremely supportive of me growing out my hair but he actually prefers it short. He says short hair suits me. When we met my hair was about TBL & i got a huge cut & ended up with about shoulder length. :eek: DH loved it & that's when we started dating. I have kept it fairly short since then but have been devoted to growing it back out for about a year & a half now.

DH has been telling me lately that my hair is starting to get long! :cheese:

Wavelin
July 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
My DBF loved my dreads. When I asked him what made him interested in me he answered - your dreads :D That's four years ago, so my other qualities must have been OK as well.

Hi likes my long hair as well, but when he says things like "Your hair is so long and pretty" I know he does it because he know I'll like it :) Still nice to hear though!

Sama
July 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM
The only time I have ever heard my husband complain about my long hair was when he said, "I've been overseas for months now and I'm still pulling your hairs out of my laundry!!" :D

My husband looooves my hair long. When I went in for a trim last week, he was begging me not to, even threatening to divorce me if I let the stylist "take" all my hair. :p It definitely matters a lot to me what my husband wants. I've seen how sad he was when I cut all my hair off once before. But, it all boils down to what I really want, and although I initially grew my hair long for him, all that time dedicated into growing out my hair gave me plenty of time to realize how much I love the long hair myself. :)

Lishamatish
July 17th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Totally :D

My DH loves long hair although he always tells me that he loves it whatever length or colour. He is really into me using henna though to prevent the damage caused by chemical dyes.

When I woke up this morning I sat up and stretched, tiliting my head back so my APL hair fell down to about mid back. He woke up all sleepy and reached out to stroke it.
Was sooo cute and just made me want to grow my hair so much more :crush:

eternalknot
July 21st, 2011, 03:21 AM
My husband doesn't mind my long hair (except when I forget to clean it out of the shower drain :o) but he really prefers women with shorter hair. He's all about the necks and napes.

MissAlida
July 21st, 2011, 04:27 AM
About 2 months ago I told my boyfriend that I wanted to cut my APL lenght hair to a pixie again(he had known me when i had a pixie last time). I was all excited about it, showed him pictures of the style I wanted, and he supported me, and got excited about it too. At least that's what it looked like to me. Finally, I didn't cut it(I found LHC). We were in the company of some friends when somehow he brought up the story of me wanting to cut my hair, but didn't in the end. He also said that he is happy I didn't cut it. Later on I asked him what he really thinks, and his reply was: I should have whatever hair I'd like, it doesen't bother him if I cut it, but he prefers it long. So I'm growing it. Not only for his sake, but for my own as well. Can't wait to reach my next goal, BSL. :D

finzi
July 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM
Mr Finzi LOVES my long hair. I think he'd cry if I ever decided to cut it short :) He likes my waves and the fact that I refuse to dye my greys. He thinks that allowing my hair to "age" without disguising it is very dignified and shows my determination to do my own thing.

I adore him :D

boomygrrl
July 21st, 2011, 08:44 AM
I knew my husband prefers long hair, but I didn't know how much. I was talking to a mutual friend and jokingly said I was going to cut it. My friend told me that my hair looks good long and that I shouldn't cut it. My husband overheard it and said that he liked my long hair.

Now, curly hair is a different story. My husband used to say he prefered straight hair. The handful of times in the past that my hair was straightened, he complimented me. He was rude about it once...I forgot his exact words, but I could tell he didn't like curly hair. I told him that at least I have hair. He is balding. Yes, I was mean, but he was too.
Now, he doesn't comment about my curls...which I love, love, love...so poo poo on him. But I know he loves that its long.

dragonchickx
July 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
I scare my husband somtimes when I tell him I want to cut it!!!!! lol its hilarious, he loves long hair but hates it when he gets stuck on it or if he sits on it or whatever but than I say "hey you like long hair so you have to get used to me complaining when you snag it" thats the only thing is that it can get in the way. By the way he also doesnt like buns and I told him it is something I have to have when my hair is long becasue its so hot and buns are the best way to get my hair off my back.

kellinaturalmom
August 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
My husband doesn't mind my long hair (except when I forget to clean it out of the shower drain :o) but he really prefers women with shorter hair. He's all about the necks and napes.

Well, if the name "Eternalknot" means what I think it does, he's getting some neck and nape action.:eyebrows:

archel
August 9th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My boyfriend loves it long and is totally my hair ally. :) He likes it down since when we're uh...doin' stuff...he says it "makes a tent around his face." And he likes it up because he likes my neck.

He's pretty awesome :)

PixxieStix
August 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
My fiance is all about the long hair. I didn't even know until recently (after nearly 5 years together!) that he preferred long hair on women. That kind of came as a shock to me, and I asked him why he never told me, and he said that it's because he loves me so much and that he didn't want me to feel bad about my hair any more than I did, so he's always just complimented and loved my hair no matter what length it is. If I ever shaved my head again, he would cry. I know it. He's a huge advocate of me growing my hair out, not for him but for me, and gives me a scalp massage every night before going to sleep. He is fully supportive of all the stuff I want for my hair (conditioner, coconut oil, coconut milk, toys, henna, etc.) and told me once my hair gets long enough he'll buy me whatever toys I want that work with the length. :D Yeah, super amazing. I'm VERY impatiently waiting for my hair to grow!

milk
August 10th, 2011, 04:31 AM
My boyfriend likes my longer hair better, so I think he quite likes my obsession I'm having at this moment. Looking at all my hair vitamins and laughing, at all my oils and shaking his head while smiling. When I was the most frustrated about my hair I went blonde (May 2011), he was so against it, said that he would hate me as a blonde (he prefers brunettes). But then he really liked it, and now that I want to go back to brunette he begs me not to :D.

AlabasterAlice
August 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
My husband is certainly my ally. :) He loves my hair long (though he does love a short pixie cut on some women) and totally supports me with my endeavor to make my hair softer, healthier, and longer. He brushes and then braids my hair every night before we sleep, and never minds listening to me ramble on and on about new things I've been learning about how to have healthy hair.

Lady Malys
August 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
DBF is totally my ally .... he loves long hair and his preference is why I am growing it out now (which thrills me that he will tell me what he likes). His hair is long and gorgeous which is a wonderful inspiration whenever I get frustrated with mine growing out so slowly.

kellinaturalmom
October 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
My hubby LOVES long hair and is so glad that I am growing it, but he hates me dying it. Ever since we first got together, ummm... 12 years ago, he makes comments like "Why do you dye your hair?", "You're doing that again?" and my favorite, "That stinks!!!"

But really, he has been a pretty good sport considering that my hair has been practically every color you could think of these past 12 years.

He will be happy to know that I have decided to grow out my natural color. But sometimes I get the feeling that he doesn't want me to look too good. So I can't really take his advice on my appearance, you know what I mean?

Galdr
October 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
most guys i know like long hair, some dont care about the length, some of them say they like really short haistyles, like pixie cuts. hm, i've never met anybody who likes something like shoulder length hair best.

kanaka
October 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
My hubby loves my hair a lot and prefers it long. But in may of this year, even my DH told me not to, i got my hair cut to waist length with front layers. he pretended that he loved it but i know he got so disappointed.Now my hair is at hip length and he is asking me to grow it out to my previous length (previously i had past TBL)

5 days back he told me how much he loved my hair and that he wanted me to grow my hair back. i felt so embarrassed listening to this and said i am growing it and taking care of it. He felt so happy listening to this.
i am so happy to have such a lovely husband and i love him a lot :D

rbooh
October 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
My hubby doesn't care if its short or long, or the time I spend on it. He just wants me to dye my hair red.

A couple of weeks ago I was on here, as usual. He turned to me and asks "Is that (referring to LHC) like football for me?" lol

MaryLA
October 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
My husband likes my hair long. He will sometimes brush my while we watch TV and he likes running his fingers through my hair. He is definitely my hair ally! Love him so much!

els23
October 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
My boyfriend loves my hair long! I think he thinks I'm a little weird with some of the treatments I do and I know he wishes I would wear it down more but he's very supportive in general.

Hairitic
October 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
My ex-boyfriend, now best buddy (no benefits) has always preferred my hair long and is happy that I'm growing it again :p. He does pretend not to like the Henna color but in truth he is just glad that I'm happy. What a perfect friend :D!

seamaiden
October 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes other half is dead against me cutting my hair and can't wait to see how long I can grow it.

But that's not it... my 3 year old son always wants my hair down and long. When he was smaller he would cry if I tied it up!! Maybe it's completely bred into the male nature ;-)

MaryRose
October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yes my DH is my hair ally. He always prefers long hair. I have had my hair different lengths and he is happy with me growing it out. He woke me up the other morning running his fingers through my hair and messaging my scalp. That is the best way to be woken up:)

Lucky
October 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
It's weird, when we were younger he wasn't happy when I cut my hair into a short bob, but now that I'm older, he's always asking me when I'm going to cut my hair into a bob.

He says he doesn't care what I do with my hair, but every time my hair starts getting longer, he always starts making comments about how I should cut it, how much better it would look. I've acquiesced several times over the years (and more recently in August) and regretted it every time.

I've decided to not talk about it anymore with him and just do what I want to do.

Coan-Teen
October 23rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
My husband is just my ally, period. He likes my hair best somewhere between chin and shoulder with some layers to it, but he's always preferred shorter hair on women. Not a gamine cut, but anything between a bob and shoulder seems to be his preference. Even so, he's been very supportive of my decision to grow my hair and has told me honestly that the length I'm at (nearly APL) is also flattering on me. He loves me, and my hair is just my hair.

Rowan1980
October 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Yes, my wife is. :D Granted, she prefers the benign neglect approach herself and she thinks it's funny when I have a shower cap covering SMT/catnip tea/whatever on my head. She still respects the process, though. :)

Having said that, she's also cool with short hair, too. So, honestly, she's supportive as long as I'm happy with it and vice-versa.

indiana
October 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
My husband loves my long hair. He supports whatever decision I make, whether to cut or not. The part that I really love is that he's willing to clean out the shower drain for me, even fishing out hair clogs - true love, I'm tellin' ya!

Pumpkin
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Yes, my husband supports my efforts to grow my hair long. In fact, two weeks ago, I trimmed about an inch off the ends and I was telling him about my trim. The sweet man's face dropped. You would have thought I cut it all off!!

Like indiana's husband, mine too has been known to clean a hair clog out of the drain for me.

Lostsoule77
October 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't say he's my ally. He pretty much doesn't care what I do with it. I just asked could I cut it to chin length. Then I asked him if I could grow it to ankle length. He said he didn't care after each. Then "What am I gonna do, divorce you over your hair?" :) When he met me I was probably around midback length. I've been as long as TBL and as short as BSL with layers up to APL. I've had blonde highlights (once-horrible) and have dyed my hair both red & black (with semi-permanant.) Yesterday I was looking at a thread where someone had dyed Manic Panic over their henna and it was a gorgeous pink shade. I said I wanted to dye my hair aquamarine. He said go ahead. I wish I could, but work won't allow it.

I know his favorite hair is long, curly, dk brown hair. I have the long and wavy so close enough. :) He's never commented on how my hair looks unless I ask him. When I try to ask how a braid looks when I learn a new one he says he can't tell the difference. I'm talking fishtail, rope, hauser! Can't tell the difference between any buns either.

I've always been a benign neglect kinda gal. So now that I'm doing a bit more to my hair like coconut oiling and taking a few pictures, he thinks I'm obsessed. It's probably 'cause 95% of my free time at home I'm on here, but still I don't think that is obsessed. If I had been one to cut my hair every 6 weeks and get highlights and blowdrying and flat ironing everyday, or even any one of these, I would've spent more time on my hair than I do now. I take most of my own pictures too. I just find it hard to get good length shots. Yesterday I wanted to get a shot for hair typing and figured a non-mirror picture would be best. I asked him to take it. I haven't asked him in months and he said that I was getting ridiculous! I reminded him that I always took pictures of his tank models for him (don't ask). He said they were all different and my hair is the same! Men can just be so obtuse sometimes. :) He does cook for me daily though, so I can take that over him fawning over my hair. :D

shawty
October 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Not to be rude, but different individuals prefer different things and I think it's a little unfair to say "men love ___."
And I really am sorry to mention it, since I know this post was meant to be lighthearted, but I couldn't help but notice that.

wooliswonderful
October 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
My husband cut my hair for me and was supportive even though it's much shorter.
He doesn't complain when I go on a goose chase for coconut or castor oil, or read the ingredients of nearly every bottle of condish in the store.
He is very sweet in general. :)

KwaveT
October 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Not to be rude, but different individuals prefer different things and I think it's a little unfair to say "men love ___."
And I really am sorry to mention it, since I know this post was meant to be lighthearted, but I couldn't help but notice that.

I was thinking the same thing. Everybody is different. We have seen the wide range of opinions that women have with men having long hair on this forum. It is no different with the men. Some like long hair some short. Some like it down and some like it up. Other men like me would like to see a little of everything. I am a variety sort of person myself. I can appreciate a well done bun myself. I saw one on a cashier at work the other and I loved it. That is probably why I want long hair myself. I get tired of doing my hair the same way every single day.

Bazinga
October 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM

So I was curious to know what your husbands/boyfriends think about your hair. Does he love it/want you to cut it/want you to grow it/not care at all? And does it matter to you what he wants?

I once cut my hair from APL to a pixie, my boyfriend said he liked it but I know he prefers longer hair on me I think. I would never let that influence any decision about my hair. When I wanted short hair I just told him to get used to the idea.:) He couldn't have said anything that would have changed my mind I think.

isabelx
October 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I agree with everyone saying you can't generalise all men to liking one thing, I think different people like different hair styles and lengths. But I do agree that maybe the majority of men prefer hair of a longer length, simply because long hair is feminine.

My boyfriend say's women shouldn't have short hair, medium length is okay but long looks best. He's not the reason I'm growing my hair but it's nice to know the longer my hair gets the more attractive he'll find me. In a way I don't think he believes I could grow long hair, simply because since we've been together I've been abusing my hair and it's never grown past my shoulders, up until a few months ago when I joined LHC of course :D

Whenever I ask him 'does my hair look longer?' or say 'I think my hair's growing' he smiles and say's it looks longer and he definitely thinks it's gotten healthier, which always makes me happy :)

Asche
October 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
My husband absolutely FORBIDS me to cut it, even a trim (i micro trim every 2 weeks so he doesn't notice ^____^). He said once (years ago before we were married) that if my hair were any shorter (BSL at the time) I'd look like a guy (so, naturally, i chopped it off to shoulder with fringe and layers lol). I'm attempting henna-ing now and he takes every chance he can to gripe at me about it. He specifically wants it at classic length, no longer or shorter and my natural neutral light/medium brown color (which I don't really like, I want it a deep dark chocolate brown). So yea we butt heads alot about my hair....

CavySong
October 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
My hubby of 27+ years is and always has been a long hair ally. He has actually been my trimmer for many years but is excited as I am that I found my local GM salon since his job is rather time intensive right now.

Actually I had just cut my front into "feathers" when we met, but when he saw pics of me with all long hair, he encouraged me to not cut it again by saying he would even help me brush and care for it if I grew it out.

Over the years, I have had everything from tailbone length to chin length and he has always been super loving about it, but he knows I know he loves it long.

I told him about how I loved LHC and its forum policies that protect us from the f*et*ish crowd. He said, he had one, but it was just for MY hair. I never really do get why he finds me so sexy, but I love it!

MychelleC
October 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM
When I wanted to have a baby my husband and I made a binding agreement: he would impregnate me if I swore not to cut my hair after the baby was born. We both kept our end of the bargain and have a happy marriage. Every time I show him a picture of a cute short cut he's "cute but not on you." I would probably look better with shorter hair, but he loves it long and I love that. :)

DreamDance
October 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
My husband fully supports my hair choices (which I greatly appreciate since I change my mind bi-weekly). I had my hair died bright red and down to my hips and he helped me detangle it every night. I chopped it all up to my shoulders with layers up to my chin and died it blue-black and he helped me blow dry it every morning (I can't blow-dry worth a dang.) I bleached out the blue-black and looked like Lee-Lo from 5th element for a few months till I could get the dye professionally corrected and started wearing it curly again and he didn't say a word while I spent hundreds of dollars finding a gel I liked and then a week later decided I wanted to grow it all out again.

That was rather wordy, but I guess I am really very blessed to have a supportive hair husband :).

ladonna
October 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Yep my DH is definately my long hair ally. He get's annoyed everytime I cut it or color it. He loves long natural looking hair. He has forbidden me from cutting our kids hair also. I've cut my 2 girl's hair only a handful of times, and our son hasn't had a haircut yet. I think he might be living vicariously through our hair since he has a receeding hairline and shaves his head. I keep trying to get him to grow out his hair since he has the most beautiful tight curls.

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
My husband and I have been together for 4 years. In that time my hair has went from bright fire engine red to darker reds to browns and back and again, and again and again... But now, I'm tired of hennaing and I'm just going for brown. I think he'll be a bit disappointed. He really likes red hair. He doesn't like, though, when I S&D, he thinks it's obsessive behavior. He also hates it when I put any kind of potion gunk on my hair for hours, like henna... He feels bad about how long bit takes to comb my hair, and doesn't really care about me cutting it- except I feel bad afterwards so he tries to prevent it... He basically thinks I'm crazy when it comes to my hair... He thinks hair is no big deal, he has no attachment to his. lol

Sarahmoon
October 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
My husband loves it and comments on it frequently :D And what's even better, he likes me to wear it in different styles, so not down all the time :happydance:

lizdini
October 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The husband doesn't really care. When I whacked it to ear length he said it was hot. When I told him I'm growing to classic he said that'd be hot. I think he likes me.:eyebrows:

Diamond.Eyes
October 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM
My boyfriend is so helpful and sweet when it comes to growing out my hair :p! We'll be at the grocery store and pass some oils and teas and he'll ask me "Are these ones good for your hair?". And whenever I wear my hair down he'll tell me how much longer it looks compared to the last time he saw it down, even if it isn't any longer lol. He's so sweet. :heartbeat

Capybara
October 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't have a husband, but ....

Hair is one area that my boyfriend doesn't share my passion for. He likes my hair, and encourages me to have it how I like it, but he's not super into it, which is to be expected. I remember a few years ago, before we started dating, he told me that he liked short hair and bangs. I didn't change my hair, and I sure am glad I didn't! He loves it like it is, because it's me, and because I enjoy it.

One thing is for sure, though - whenever I'd like him to play with it, he will do it! I've taught him to braid and ponytail. It's nice, because it takes something mundane like watching hockey on tv, and makes it special because he's playing with my hair.

HumanBean
October 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
My husband is and is not. He knows I am growing it out, and his first reaction is "no! Cut it!" And yesterday I tried on a short wig for Halloween and he commented on how good I look with short hair. But on the other hand he measured it when I asked, and took a photo when I asked, and inquired about the buns I've tried, etc., so he's indulging me for now.

Kyla
October 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
DBF if definitely an ally. I've had long hair (about the same length as now) since I met him, so I used to think if nothing else he was just used to it. However, over the course of our relationship he's been so supportive of my hair-detangling things from it for me, smoothing it, gently touching it, finishing a braid for me once, and complimenting it quite a bit. He's so sweet. :) Although I rarely talk about goal lengths with him (mostly because I can never decide on one), he knows I want it longer and supports that.
I think he goes through phases of liking it up or down...ever since he moved about 2 1/2 hours away (:cry: :violin: ) he likes it down when he visits. I change my hair style usually a couple times a day, but I let it down for the whole weekend, only to face absolutely HORRID detangling last night. Ughh....

aisha.christine
October 24th, 2011, 10:24 PM
My DBF is absolutely my hair ally!
He helps me out with my hair so much. :)
He measures it, and helps me with my hair concoctions, helps me find my vitamins, and helps me pick out which EO's he likes for my hair perfume. I love how supportive and wonderful my DBF is, it encourages me to keep growing out my hair, even when I get sad about how short it is.
Yay for hair allies!:heartbeat

racrane
October 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Well, I'm not married but my boyfriend likes my hair. He doesn't care what it looks like as long as it's not frizzy. He really dislikes frizzy hair and I don't blame him! :D

However, he prefers me with SL while I crave my long hair. He isn't going to leave me over it, but since he is kinda picky, I want my long hair to at least look pretty. He can't complain about healthy long hair!

AcornMystic
October 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Haha, he sure is. When I shaved my head back in September of last year he wanted me to keep it that way for when he came back to see me so he could do the "porcupine rub" on me (but I didn't because I would have had to wait a few months and I wanted to start my journey right away:o) and when I told him I wanted to grow it long he was ecstatic. When we were on our honeymoon back in July he insisted on helping me to measure my hair with the measuring tape to find out how many inches I needed to achieve knee length. My husband always finds something to like about my decisions and hardly puts much focus on what he doesn't like. He's always been very supportive, taking care to let me know it, and is often eager to involve himself somehow in my interests or things I am involved in if it doesn't stray too far from his own interests. I really am lucky to have him.:D

kellinaturalmom
February 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Now that my hair is almost BSL my husband keeps complimenting me on it...I think he's scared I'm going to cut it because every time it has gotten this long in the past 13 years I have cut it...not this time though!

Buffy
February 20th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Men are divided into 2 categories: Those who are attracted to very a short bob or boyish hair and those who are attracted to long hair!
I've noticed they rarely prefer(not that they dislike it, they just don't prefer it) medium length hair NOR too long. That's what i've noticed from my guy friends and my boyfriend and his friends.

IndigoOptimist
February 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
My current boyfriend would like my hair to be about APL (or at least that's what I interpret "a little bit longer than it is now" as) but he HATES hair longer than waist... I don't know why, he just does. My ex however LOVED long hair and always wanted me to grow it as long as I possibly could... it's a little weird going from that to someone who doesn't really like long hair :s
I don't really care what he thinks, I will grow my hair as long as I want :)

Long_hair_bear
February 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM
My hubby loves my long hair, especially when I braid it. :)

A. Correira
February 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Actually, I think that my husband likes my hair shorter rather than longer. When we first met, I had short hair and loved it. As I grew it out he would comb it for me and such be he always wanted me to take risks with my hair. He fully supports everything that I want to do with my hair but he tells me that he believes that there is a "too long" length for hair on women.

cremenoir
February 20th, 2012, 10:56 AM
My BF is the one who finally talked me into growing out my hair and giving up the dye. I had wanted to for a long time, but never had the patience to deal with the awkward stages of the whole process. He always commented on what a nice color my roots were, and how great it would look long. He was always very nice about it, insisting that he liked my short hair too (although I don't think he really cared for it much, but it was nice of him to try haha) and how he wouldn't mind the awkward stages of the grown-out dye/messy cut. Every time I'm feeling less-than-psyched about where my hair is at in the growing-out process, he always tells me how much he's loving the new growth and is so excited for it to be long.

He definitely boosts my confidence when I need it and helps me stay committed when I get frustrated. If it weren't for his encouragement, I don't think I would have lasted this long. I'm so glad I have though, because now that I've gotten this far into growing my hair out I'm really starting to love it too, and wondering why I didn't do this years ago! I guess sometimes other people are just better at seeing our own potential than we are.

B-L
February 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
My DH Loves long hair but he liked when it was shorter too as long as it's dark :D I did have blond hair once and he said "It's nice buuuuuuut...." :lol:

PrairieRose
February 20th, 2012, 11:31 AM
My DH has never cared about how my hair is. He likes it any way or color I have had it. I like the fact that he lets me do what I want with my hair and not box me into his preferences:)

cfreya
February 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Yesss definitely, he has always encouraged me to go back to my natural colour and grow it out, he loves it longer and every time I say im going to get a trim hes like NOOOO haha, I wonder why men have a thing for natural long hair.. Must go back to the caveman days LOL

Kat
February 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Neither guy I've been in a serious relationship with gives two licks about the length of my hair. Figures.

Not that it matters to me-- my hair will be the way *I* want it regardless of what some guy says-- but supposedly I keep hearing all men go gaga over long hair and everybody I've ever been with is just like "meh, whatever" about mine. *sigh*

kitten1986
February 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Mr Kitten is a bit funny about my hair... he doesnt take any interest in what I do to it but recently when I went for my first trim in a very long time he got this look of panic in his eyes and said make sure they dont cut it all off hahaha

Ocelan
February 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
My bf likes my hair long and he has long hair himself, even though he keeps saying he might cut it all off which I wouldn't like. He never likes it when I have a trim and keeps saying "I hope you won't be cutting too much".
Then again he also would like me to have red hair, since he seems to be into gingers, but atm I'm liking my dark brown, even though I've had my hair red a few times and liked it too. The problem is red dye sticking to my hair like glue so the roots are very obious when existent.

I didn't read the whole thread through (sorry!) and hope this hasn't been said before, but it's actually been studied by behavioral psychologists that men prefer long hair and they find long haired women much more appealing when finding a mate. I think this is some great news for girls here in the LHC! :)
However it has also been studied that female friends of women with long hair often tell their long haired friends to cut their hair shorter. It's the same thing as in animal world: They're trying to make their fellow women less attractive by taking off their beauties so that they would feel better in the eyes of men. So be aware of your friends girls! ;) This is also the same reason for why women keep trying to rip each others hair off when in a cat fight.
So next time when someone who's maybe not your best friend suggests you would look great in short hair, they might not be completely sincere...

turtlelover
February 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
My husband met and married me w/ super short hair, and though he prefers my hair longer, he isn't really "into" hair and doesn't comment on it or play with it.:(

beautifulending
February 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I don't have a boyfriend but I do have guy friends that would be so mad if I was to cut my hair. they love long hair and I am the only one in my group of friends that has "long" hair.(they say my middle back length hair is long I think it's just now getting long haha)

Kitsu
February 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I dunno I ask him but I get scared "is this a trap" type answers. He does play with my hair though and pets my head which is soooooo nice :)

He prefers when I wear my hair half up half down and with my natural texture, he says my hair looks flat when I last ironed it out. He's very much into a natural look and often says I don't need make up. He's really sweet actually.

Doesn't stop me getting mad that he has no opinion sometimes though lol

He also think i'm a little obsessed with the site and that oil is for cooking not hair and that I should just stick to shampoo and not fall into the opinions of people I dont know on the Internet. I'm sure he thinks I'm a defenseless kitten :P

humble_knight
February 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
However it has also been studied that female friends of women with long hair often tell their long haired friends to cut their hair shorter. It's the same thing as in animal world: They're trying to make their fellow women less attractive by taking off their beauties so that they would feel better in the eyes of men. So be aware of your friends girls! ;) This is also the same reason for why women keep trying to rip each others hair off when in a cat fight.
So next time when someone who's maybe not your best friend suggests you would look great in short hair, they might not be completely sincere...

Mmmm, I'm a bloke who was hassled daily for 3mths by all my colleagues [I'm the only male]. I was almost at shoulderlength and everyone kept telling me to cut it really short. I've always been sensitive about comments made by other people regarding my appearance, so I caved in and buzzed everything off my head. Now, I'm trying to repeat the, "I'm not here to decorate your world," mantra :D If they don't like it, well, tough cheese!

elthia
February 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM
When we met, I had a pixie that I grew out out to waist. I then cut it off to a bob, and now have it down to BSL. He really doesn't care about the length, when pressured for an answer, as long as I am not bald, he's happy.

Miss Catrina
February 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM
My boyfriend loves any length, but I can tell he's pretty psyched for my hair to be longer again. And he's told me part of the appeal of spooning is having a face full of my hair. :p

molly_grue
February 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM
When my hair was at my longest it used to annoy my husband that it was all over the place and in everything lol

Now, if I'm looking at hair photos, he'll say things like "you aren't going to grow your hair that long are you?" But I don't think he minds really, as long as I'm happy, and he doesn't have to pull hair out of the drain.
For example, the other day I was watching a crown braiding tutorial on youtube. He said "You aren't going to do that are you, 'Heidi'? That is not attractive!"
I proceeded to make a really messy, first try crown braid and he said "Wow, that is actually kind of hot, come here!"

cobden 28
February 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Not really. Because I'm in my 50's and have a fair bit of grey, he complains that I'm too old to wear my hair long and loose because it emphasises the grey (especially if I have a parting), and that wearing my hair up in any form makes me look ten years older, 'like an old granny'.

Sometimes I compromise by wearing my hair tied back off my face/cheeks in a topknot but with the rest worn loose.

Basically though, I wear my hair long and loose for me and for nobody else.

truepeacenik
February 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I have had partners that loved any and all long hair, partners who liked it always out of the way, and partners who knew they were damn lucky to have me and my wild hair in their lives.

Since 1995, my partners have all been wowed by my hair.
The man I shared my life with from 1995 to 2009 saw me through APL, a perm at almost waist, a chop to bsl when it pulled out, learning to trim my hair so no one would shorten it much, a couple years of dreadlocks, combing out said dreads, and finally, in the death throes of our marriage, chopping six inches of Velcro ends on request.

That summer got weird. I had two partners, one of whom stays in touch.
Both were mesmerized by my hair down.
I worked with one for five years. He had to have known the length, but the first time I let it down with him he looked like he had seen the secret of the universe.
The other is less inclined to notice weekly or monthly, but if we don't hang out for more than three months, he always remarks on the growth.
During a Watsu class, he kept remarking about my hair in front of the class.
I was happy to be a crash test dummy for dealing with clients who didn't put hair up. Even though the most experienced massage therapists pulled it the most!

My current partner was trying to be all cool and slip his arm around me at a concert the night we met. My hair attacked him. I am serious, the ends wrapped around his fingers and held him at bay.

He respects my hair! It keeps him in line, he jokes.

truepeacenik
February 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Not really. Because I'm in my 50's and have a fair bit of grey, he complains that I'm too old to wear my hair long and loose because it emphasises the grey (especially if I have a parting), and that wearing my hair up in any form makes me look ten years older, 'like an old granny'.

Sometimes I compromise by wearing my hair tied back off my face/cheeks in a topknot but with the rest worn loose.

Basically though, I wear my hair long and loose for me and for nobody else.

Does he know that could be hurtful?
And what is wrong with being a granny? (if my son is reading, NOT BY YOU!!!)

Experience is wisdom. Maybe the lummoxes in our lives are afraid we will get too smart to put up with them.

(the secret, we already are and love them anyway)

Piyo
February 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM
A lot of times my boyfriend seems indifferent, but whenever I talk about cutting my hair he says "no! no! no!" :D I consider him a hair ally.

Every guy I have been with say they prefer brunettes, but they never seem to want me to actually grow out my light brown hair or dye it darker. *shrug* kind of confusing.

Fairlight63
February 20th, 2012, 05:46 PM
NO, my DH is not my hair ally! I think that cobden & me married brothers, that is what my husbands says also, that long hair makes me look old. I told him - I am old - at 66 no way am I going to look like a 20 yr. old again.
He usually doesn't say ANYTHING about my hair - good or bad - but the other day I was detangling my hair after washing it & he came in the room & said "your hair is getting too long, you need to cut it". I said "Yes, it is getting long" and ended it at that.

You guys are my hair ally! when I feel like my hair is not looking good, I can come here & read & it makes me feel better.

Bunnysaur
February 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I've been with my fiance for 2 years now, and he's never seen my with hair past my shoulder. He seems to be the opposite of the rest of your SO's, he doesn't want me to grow it out! He jokingly threatens me that he'll cut it in my sleep if I let it get too long.

Fairytale
February 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
There is a reason why Im growing my hair long
my husband enjoys the reason and respects it.

When I had it in a pixie he also liked it because
he said I looked like General Mackenzie in "JAG(the series)LOL

mira-chan
February 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
DH would like my hair either way. He's only known me with long hair and has stuck around so far so I'd assume he supports me. He makes the occasional joke about the hair weirdness in routine but he's tried some of the same things once or twice just to check them out.

holothuroidea
February 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I think my hair is pretty much inconsequential to my DH. When we first met it was somewhat long, between shoulder and APL. When I went to get it cut to ear length he was nervous about it and didn't like the idea, but thought it was cute when it was done. Since we've been together I've been from APL+ through pixie and he never said any of my hair cuts were less than great. Even when I was in tears over how awful my hair looked when it was chopped up into the worst pixie nightmare you can imagine, he told me "You still look like yourself and you're still beautiful." Which is like, yes the hair cut sucks but you're still awesome. :D

When I told him I was growing my hair "as long as it will go" he got a little nervous- I think just because it is something new.

He is helpful in that he is really good with trims and encouragement but unfortunately I don't think I could rely on him to tell me if it looks really bad.

Does his opinion matter to me? In a sense it does and in another it doesn't. There has to be a good reason for me to not do something. If he "just doesn't like it" that's a really crappy reason and it's not going to get me to change my mind.

However I did want to dye my hair a crazy color and he really doesn't like that idea. Not because it wouldn't look good on me, but he is very uncomfortable with anything that would draw attention to himself, and walking around with a girl with green hair would do that. I understand that and I'm not going to embarrass him just so I can have fun with my hair.

dulce
February 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think I've mentioned this before ,but my hubbie encouraged me to grow it back long and let it go gray.He's 65 and likes it best long ang gray.He hates the short dos so many older ladies get so he's very supportive,and I'm lucky.

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
My boyfriend likes me with long hair and loves long hair on women.

LadyKate
February 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Actually, after being on LHC for a couple of months, and realizing how important it's become to me, it occured to me to ask my fiance what he thought about my hair goal of at least classic. He is quite supportive, actually, though he teases me about it! But he does prefer my hair long, though he specifically said that whatever makes me happy is fine with him, since it is, after all, my head.

maborosi
February 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
DBF is supportive of my hair no matter what. :)

~maborosi~

bluebird77
February 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Oh yes. I've only recently started to be nice to my hair and BF commented that he's glad I've finally started liking my hair because he's always liked it. He's very supportive of my new 'down to my bum' goal (I've never had it much longer than my current length). Although he did ask this week if I realised that if he talked to me about sport as much as I've talked to him about hair for the past 4 months, I would be incredibly bored. So I better start talking to you nice people about hair instead and spare the poor guy!

Kyla
February 20th, 2012, 10:07 PM
DBF is very supportive of the long hair, and I know he likes it, but I suspect he would be supportive no matter what. He helps me with some of my hair care (I've gotten him to help me braid) and can be counted on to give me an honest opinion. Also, he gives amazing scalp massages. :cloud9:

tokitoki
February 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think my boyfriend would mind if I cut my hair, but does tell me often that he thinks it is pretty and that it's one of the first things he noticed (and liked?) about me. I think he thinks it's goofy that I want it down to my bellybutton, but he's not against it. He's one of those "oh you're pretty no matter what" guys so he would never tell me even if he did have a preference, I think. He doesn't want me thinking if I change something (or don't) that he'll find me less attractive so it's hard to get what he likes out of him.

Mommyof4
February 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM
My DH is definitely not my ally in this hair journey :(

I have thick hair that will probably grow VERY long.. but he says once it gets past waist, he will cut it "for" me, if I won't..

he HATES hair past waist and thinks it looks "gross".. <his words

we actually talked about it the other night.. (we have to space out our hair talks because I get really upset and usually cry)

I asked him what if it was really thick all the way to the ends, and it was thigh length, and I even showed him carefully selected pictures LOL.. of pretty, healthy, long hair...

he wasn't convinced.. then, the next day, his friends' GF mentioned randomly how she "despises" hair past BSL.. that it's "awful"...

I felt isolated...

I was SOOOO glad to be able to connect with all of my LHC Family after those comments!!

Once I reach Waist.. I will be keeping it up when he's home..

I grew up with a dad that wanted his 3 daughters to have ankle-length hair.. he didn't want it trimmed or anything because he wanted it to grow.. as we got older, his views changed a little.. but I just "expected" my DH, just because he was male, to LOVE long hair..

My DH doesn't like hair shorter than APL.. but no longer than waist...

Can we say picky?

MonaLisa
February 21st, 2012, 12:55 AM
My DH is definitely not my ally in this hair journey :(

I have thick hair that will probably grow VERY long.. but he says once it gets past waist, he will cut it "for" me, if I won't..

he HATES hair past waist and thinks it looks "gross".. <his words

we actually talked about it the other night.. (we have to space out our hair talks because I get really upset and usually cry)

I asked him what if it was really thick all the way to the ends, and it was thigh length, and I even showed him carefully selected pictures LOL.. of pretty, healthy, long hair...

he wasn't convinced.. then, the next day, his friends' GF mentioned randomly how she "despises" hair past BSL.. that it's "awful"...

I felt isolated...

I was SOOOO glad to be able to connect with all of my LHC Family after those comments!!

Once I reach Waist.. I will be keeping it up when he's home..

I grew up with a dad that wanted his 3 daughters to have ankle-length hair.. he didn't want it trimmed or anything because he wanted it to grow.. as we got older, his views changed a little.. but I just "expected" my DH, just because he was male, to LOVE long hair..

My DH doesn't like hair shorter than APL.. but no longer than waist...

Can we say picky?

Hang in there :)
There is chance he will start liking it once it gets past that point!

And also, remember that you have to be yourself, when you are happy with your own looks, you do look prettier to others too, for sure! :)

MonaLisa
February 21st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Well I laready replied on this thread...but some time has passed, and now my hair is TBL and longer than ever..
DBF loves it a lot, often caresses it and touches it...comments everday that it is beautiful...and asks me how long I will grow it.. When i say classic, he's more than happy..
Sometimes he even freaks out for no reason and asks me to promise him I won't ever cut it...

BUT....
then he doesn-t understand why I don't flatiron and heatstyle at a salon...like all our friends do and of course end up having a pretty style.. There are even some with long hair, but not even half as long as mine...
He doesn't understand damage...
He even asked me why I don't try different colors..:D funny..
And he thinks I should cut off/remove/wax/gel my new growth, around hairline because it looks bad :(
Seriously? people do this?
I swear it doesn't look that bad at all, I love my new growth...

And I don't like my hair too neat, I like it messy and free, like a true mane :)

BBdck1
February 21st, 2012, 01:17 AM
My DBF doesn't like my hair shorter than APL or longer than waist length. He thinks my hair gets in the way when it's too long, and it has gotten in the way a lot (it often poke him when we're sleeping). He's more okay with it being long now that I put my hair up before I go to bed.

He's been very supported of what I chose to do with my hair and the "random" stuff I do with it. Recently when I wanted some pretty wooden hair sticks but can't find any cheap ones, he went out and bought some tools so we can try to make some together. It's been 2 days and we already have 3 completed.

Aggemam
February 21st, 2012, 01:22 AM
I don't have a boyfriend right now, but ALL my ex boyfriends have all loved long hair and prefered when I've had it long...

Henrietta
February 21st, 2012, 04:31 AM
My boyfriend is my hair ally ^^
He doesn't want me to cut it, he likes it, he helps me with pictures and measuring, even at midnight... The only thing that bothers him is that I have those thin loose strands around my face and when they touch his skin it tickles him so much that he hides his face or runs away :D

holothuroidea
February 21st, 2012, 08:02 AM
Mommyof4, you deserve to feel safe. It must be very difficult when someone you love is threatening to modify your body to suit their own taste against your will.

I think if he ever heard it phrased that way he might reconsider his idea of "cutting it for you."

Your hair is a part of your body and he has no right to cut it against your will. Maybe he doesn't understand this?

GaJunebug
February 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Funny, my husband and I had this talk over the weekend. He told me he loved my hair any which way I wanted to have it- style, color, length- whatever.

I was about to swoon over his comments until he added....

"But, I'm not really into Crystal Gayle length."

I'm not sure what my terminal length will be and I wasn't necessarily shooting for knee length but now I may just have to. :eyebrows:

Bagginslover
February 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
My boyfriends is kinda Switzerland about my hair growing....

He loves it long, but can't understand why I want to buy and use a ton of new stuff on it, he thinks I should just leave it alone and not cut it.

I think he's pleased I'm laying off the heat styling though, He has always complained about the way my hair smells after using a straightner or curling tongs.

He's commented when we were in the supermarket the other day that I'm obsessed with the 'hair eisle' now....I wasn't even headed there that time!

He is glad I'm growing rather than chopping though, which had been my plan before xmas ;)

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Well I laready replied on this thread...but some time has passed, and now my hair is TBL and longer than ever..
DBF loves it a lot, often caresses it and touches it...comments everday that it is beautiful...and asks me how long I will grow it.. When i say classic, he's more than happy..
Sometimes he even freaks out for no reason and asks me to promise him I won't ever cut it...

BUT....
then he doesn-t understand why I don't flatiron and heatstyle at a salon...like all our friends do and of course end up having a pretty style.. There are even some with long hair, but not even half as long as mine...
He doesn't understand damage...
He even asked me why I don't try different colors..:D funny..
And he thinks I should cut off/remove/wax/gel my new growth, around hairline because it looks bad :(
Seriously? people do this?
I swear it doesn't look that bad at all, I love my new growth...

And I don't like my hair too neat, I like it messy and free, like a true mane :)

MonaLisa, OMG it's so annoying when guys don't understand damage! And how much actually goes into getting our hair to look like people on tv or friends who don't care about heat styling damage.
And I love new growth, sometimes I even cut baby hairs to make it look like new growth I love it so much!

kionkichin
February 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
My boyfriend likes my long hair because it makes me look like more feminine (when i met him for the first time i had my hair really short, i looked like a boy)

Kat
February 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
However I did want to dye my hair a crazy color and he really doesn't like that idea. Not because it wouldn't look good on me, but he is very uncomfortable with anything that would draw attention to himself, and walking around with a girl with green hair would do that. I understand that and I'm not going to embarrass him just so I can have fun with my hair.

My partner does that kind of crap sometimes (and mind you, I'm not even remotely "weird" or anything, simply unconventional at times, but this is a guy so afraid of attracting attention that he nearly has a conniption if I so much as wear a bindi). I just tell him, "If I embarrass you and you don't want to be with someone like me, you're welcome to find someone else." And yes, I've said it quite bluntly to his face before when he's stepped over the line with criticizing what I look like. He chose to be with me, so he has to either take me as he found me or find someone more mainstream. I'd never not be who I am just so I don't embarrass him. He's well aware that there are other fish in the sea he can go for if this one doesn't suit him. I'd never try to change him, and I don't expect him to try to change me.

Venefica
February 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM
My hubby love my long hair, he buy me hairsticks and really encourages me, now he would like me with any hairstyle and I have had both long but also very short hair while we have been together, he did not complain when my hair was short but I think he prefers my hair long.

I had a Dom once (I am a BDSMer) and when I visited him for a eh...session after I had cut my hair short and colored it black for the first time he told me that he loved the color but he did not like my hair short. I have the experience to that men like long hair on women, there are exceptions off course but it seams that generally men like womens hair to be at least below shoulders length.

Starry_Eyed
February 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
The BF could care less what my hair looks like. The only thing I've gotten out of him is that he likes red hair slightly better than other colors and has made off-handed comments that shorter hair might be less hassle. He pokes fun at me for all of my hair obsessiveness, but always in a good natured way, so I'd say that while he isn't a hair friend, he isn't a hair enemy either. He's hair neutral. He's hair Switzerland. :neutral:

(I've secretly always dreamed about having an SO that loves long hair though and finds it attractive . . . *sigh*)

Mommyof4
February 21st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Mommyof4, you deserve to feel safe. It must be very difficult when someone you love is threatening to modify your body to suit their own taste against your will.

I think if he ever heard it phrased that way he might reconsider his idea of "cutting it for you."

Your hair is a part of your body and he has no right to cut it against your will. Maybe he doesn't understand this?

He says it just to let me know how he truly doesn't like that length of hair..

He knows I love my hair and it's part of me, but he doesn't understand how emotionally attached I am.. I usually have to tell him "I love my hair, like you love firefighting. I put time into it, thought into it, I educate myself about it, and I would feel lost without it." He just smiles and says, I want it long too, but not THAT long..

I don't blame him or feel unsafe, I'm sorry, I should've clarified that :o

He has never had long hair or felt connected to the hair he does have. I'm sure if he grew his hair out and became connected to his hair, he'd feel awful for the things he says..

Sorry, everyone, it's hard to predict how my reply will sound on the other end of the internet ;)

Littlewing13
February 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
My bf doesnt seem to mind too much. Just after I met him I cropped it to pixie (due to damage), & he at least said he liked it then. I think he does prefer it longer but he never says. Just says he loves me however I want to wear it. As long as I dont shave it. lol

kathrynrose
February 22nd, 2012, 05:58 AM
Mine constantly complains that it is getting in his way and threatens to shave it while I am sleeping. I, of course, continue to grow it out; the fact it irritates him is a bonus--a girl does have to have her amusements, after all. He's learning to live with it as I wear it up on all but special occassions.

ETA: after reading through the entire thread (dummy me should have done that to begin with) I realize I need to add something very important....hubby will not actually shave my head...he just likes to flap his gums. When quizzed about my hair length, I explain that --TO ME-- it is a part of what makes me a woman. When placed in the context of genderhood...most folks tend to let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak. LOL.

Jesabel
February 22nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
My boyfriend always supports my hair decisions. The past 2 years we've been together my hairs been all sorts of colours, though it's always been around BSL. He's also now supportive of my decision to grow out to my natural colour (though he says, why can't you dye it that colour? which he doesn't understand I just can't achieve my natural dark ashy blonde with my over processed hair).

Today I got a trim at the hair dressers and when I told him he asked, sounding a little alarmed "you didn't get much taken off did you?" he sounded relieved when I said no. This is probably because I've told him my desires to have hip length hair :laugh:

wicked kisses
February 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
I have found that my SO is very supportive to the point where if I want something for my hair, and he's against it, I can simply threaten to chop it off.... and he'll do it.
I'm never truly serious, because I'm mostly growing it for me, but both my spice like my hair long.

Rhodugune
February 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
I have found that my SO is very supportive to the point where if I want something for my hair, and he's against it, I can simply threaten to chop it off.... and he'll do it.

I'm never truly serious, because I'm mostly growing it for me, but both my spice like my hair long.

I too do that, he really likes my hair long and we both know I'm not serious.
He often jokes back, that if I ever did cut it off, he would break up with me.
I'm both sure that I never will cut it of, but if I should loose it, I know he wouldn't love me any less.

He often does sweet things, like;
- "I saw that you almot have run out of this or that so I got you some more!"

It feels so great that he really gets that this is so important to me.

neverever
February 22nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
My BF loved how my hair was when we first met. It was a REALLY short bob and I had light blonde curly hair. I think it was cute to, but now that I'm growing it out he says that I look good in it to. He thinks its my descition anyway. And that is true of course...
Just happy he don't care to much, and just thinks I'm looking good in everything :p

StellaKatherine
February 22nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Ehhh... i just asked my fiance if he likes long or short hair on women... And he said... SHORT! Like WTF? 10 years together , me always having long hair ( shortest was under my shoulders ) and now i find out that he likes short more :( So here you go with men usually liking long hair, damn it :rolleyes:

Then i asked him what he thinks about me having long hair and he said " It's your hair, you decision"... I feell.. well i kind feel dissapointed.. Almoust wish i would never ask him this question :(

I wonder what should i do now, i was thinking to go all the way to classic, but if he doesn't like it at all... I know it's my hair, but kinda sad right now...

neverever
February 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Ehhh... i just asked my fiance if he likes long or short hair on women... And he said... SHORT! Like WTF? 10 years together , me always having long hair ( shortest was under my shoulders ) and now i find out that he likes short more :( So here you go with men usually liking long hair, damn it :rolleyes:

Then i asked him what he thinks about me having long hair and he said " It's your hair, you decision"... I feell.. well i kind feel dissapointed.. Almoust wish i would never ask him this question :(

I wonder what should i do now, i was thinking to go all the way to classic, but if he doesn't like it at all... I know it's my hair, but kinda sad right now...

Oh, how sad :( But it's right, it's your descition after all, and it cant mean THAT much how long your hair is if you have had long hair all 10 years. It's got to be something more than the hair that is important for him ;) I think you should keep your long hair anyway!

rowie
February 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM

I get the same response from my boo! He said that it's my own hair and I have all the rights to make my own choices, and that he'll always love me more for who I am.

Then I told him, "Well, what if I decided to grow my hair all the way to the floor?" Then he said, I'd probably maintain it only up to the knees.

ughhhhh He tells me I can do anything with my hair and then tells me his preference lightly. I'm just happy that I know he'll be happy with me when I reach waist, but beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Tisiloves
February 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, men tend not to be very into hairstyles anyway. It tok nearly every guy in my like at least a day and a half to realise I had cut it from waist to shoulder. If they had an actual problem with it they probably would have told you before.

Tisiloves
February 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
*took, blasted keyboard.

kellinaturalmom
February 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM

Sometimes I honestly think that men just want what they can't have. He might have said that not because he actually likes short hair better but because he thinks it would be different, therefore exciting in some way. If you let him know that you think your hair is beautiful (which it sooo is by the way), that confidence might just change his mind. :blossom:

StellaKatherine
February 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you so much for you sweet words! Yeah, i guess we wouldn't be together for such a long time if he wouldn't like something else in me as well :) And anyway it is little silly to take his oppinion so close to my heart, anyway i know i look better with a longer hair and that is most important :D

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have no husband and no allies in my life. Flying solo here. I have, in fact, met a fair number of men who like long hair although not this long. Most have no idea what hair this long means. I have had moments of people liking my hair a lot, but that has never, ever been a primary thing in the relationship. It always came down to personalities and being emotionally available.

Historically, the men who ARE interested in my hair length (and usually they aren't), they commonly kind of come on to me by offering "services" such as a scalp massage or combing my hair. But in the end, they never do it. Never! I've never had someone comb my hair for me. The most I've had is one guy would sometimes help me unravel a tangle. That's about it. People make stuff up, and don't track what they say in comparison to what they do. I one time asked one guy why he never combed my hair. His answer was because he'd prefer to use a brush! For Heaven's Sake!! What an excuse.

The truth is that while people are impressed with how much hair I have, most people have no information on how to care for such length, and most find it to be too much hair. For example, when my hair is down, a little help making sure it doesn't get caught in a door or car window or door might be helpful. But no, they just don't care.

Although, I have had the experience of other women and men (alike) watching me get in a car with this length. (My hair gets in first! LOL) I've had people flip my hair out of their way. Such as the one time a guy did so while a ceiling fan was running. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

It's just my life experience.

heidi w.

Avital88
February 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hang in there :)
There is chance he will start liking it once it gets past that point!

And also, remember that you have to be yourself, when you are happy with your own looks, you do look prettier to others too, for sure! :)

Yes i totally agree, i remember my ex saying the same thing about it being gross and i would like like a horse etc.. Once i reached hip he didnt even see it negative anymore and actually started loving my hair...
So there is hope, just make sure it will look nice and what does he have to complain about..
Your hair will grow out gorgeous Mommyof4 :)

StellaKatherine
February 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have no husband and no allies in my life. Flying solo here. I have, in fact, met a fair number of men who like long hair although not this long. Most have no idea what hair this long means. I have had moments of people liking my hair a lot, but that has never, ever been a primary thing in the relationship. It always came down to personalities and being emotionally available.

Historically, the men who ARE interested in my hair length (and usually they aren't), they commonly kind of come on to me by offering "services" such as a scalp massage or combing my hair. But in the end, they never do it. Never! I've never had someone comb my hair for me. The most I've had is one guy would sometimes help me unravel a tangle. That's about it. People make stuff up, and don't track what they say in comparison to what they do. I one time asked one guy why he never combed my hair. His answer was because he'd prefer to use a brush! For Heaven's Sake!! What an excuse.

The truth is that while people are impressed with how much hair I have, most people have no information on how to care for such length, and most find it to be too much hair. For example, when my hair is down, a little help making sure it doesn't get caught in a door or car window or door might be helpful. But no, they just don't care.

Although, I have had the experience of other women and men (alike) watching me get in a car with this length. (My hair gets in first! LOL) I've had people flip my hair out of their way. Such as the one time a guy did so while a ceiling fan was running. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

It's just my life experience.

heidi w.

I actually kinda think that women are more interested in other woman's hair. I have maybe twice i my life a man brushing my hair, but several times a woman ( not counting a hairdresser here ) and i have brushed and made braids to everyone in my famely and to many of my friends :D

Don't take this in a perverd way.. But i wish there would be someone here close to me with such a long hair like you have, omng what a haistyles to do ( which are difficult to make on my own hair ) .. Haha luckely we don't live close by or i would porbably live on your doorsteps , just wishing to see your hair going pass haha :D

Cjatje
February 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
My dh told me like 2months ago he adores lng hair... Haven't had it lng for like 10 years, he has NEVER seen me with hair longer than bsl...
But if I ask him, he always says it doesn't matter for him, he fell in love with me, not my hair :)

veronicaM
February 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
My husband is pro-active as well in my hair growth:) anything not to cut my hair again although I love short hair! He called me "baietel" which means little boy in my mother tongue the entire time I had short hair. Knowing that I am more natural and vegan he researched our current hair product line and I actually love it! Funnily enough I am growing new hair even with this line.

arcane
February 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Getting an opinion about my appearance out of my DBF is like pulling teeth while herding cats at the same time. He believes he has no right to have a say in my appearance (something I agree with) but when I ask him I really do want to know his opinion. I've pretty only have that he likes my hair red the best because that is the colour it was when we met, and he likes when my hair is longer because it makes ME happier.

He is very supportive about my obession with my hair. He doesn't like my constant measuring so I have cut that way back (now only once a month) because he fears I fixate on the negative parts of my hair rather than the positive. He understands that I take 30 minute showers sometimes to get all the "potions and concoctions" in, and doesn't get mad when I tell him not to use my shampoos or conditioners. I forgot my expensive shampoo at home once and it caused a meltdown, so he went out with my Dad in a snow storm to buy me some more.

kellinaturalmom
July 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
I cut my hair to chin length a year ago and am growing it out (again). It's about collarbone length now and needless to say, my husband is happy I'm back on the growing bandwagon!

lunalocks
July 2nd, 2013, 07:29 PM
yes. except for when I comb my hair over his sink. (His words. I just asked him).

10000days
July 2nd, 2013, 07:34 PM
My boyfriend panics when I say I'm going to trim my hair haha! Then he reaches for it and says its getting long and that he loves it (EVEN though it's actually in pretty bad condition and recovering from a bleaching mistake) and that he never wants me to cut it. So I guess thanks to him I've stretched the trims and let it grow longer. He's also very patient when I rave on about what great new thing I read on LHC :)

10000days
July 2nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
He understands that I take 30 minute showers sometimes to get all the "potions and concoctions" in, and doesn't get mad when I tell him not to use my shampoos or conditioners.

That's hilarious :)

leslissocool
July 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, my husband loves my hair. I want to grow it to knee but he says he likes it just above my butt so he can stare at it :lol:.

When I met him I had shoulder length fried light brown hair, he encouraged me to go back to natural, to let my texture be and stop straightening and all. He really likes my hair long.

honeybunnie8
July 2nd, 2013, 07:52 PM
My husband doesn't care on way or another. Though I think he gets annoyed that my longer hair clogs the drain in the shower. lol