PDA

View Full Version : Oil and conditioner

Guenhwyvar
June 2nd, 2011, 02:45 AM
I have recently started using oils before shampooing, then shampooing my scalp and then conditioning the ends (+tea rinse). The problem is the oils never wash out. I have tried coconut and jojoba. My Shampoo and conditioner are natural (no cones etc). I can wash it out if I apply the shampoo further down the length, but I use a shampoo for oily hair as my scalp gets oily too quickly and a conditioner as my ends can get dry very quickly. I end up with heavy hair with residue that comes out on my hands and looks wet still.

How do people wash the oils out? I know a lot of people CO or WO.

Sundial
June 2nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
That's true :p A lot of us CO to get the oils off. You need to leave the conditioner on for some time to let it do its work, somewhere between 5-20 minutes. I usually leave mine on for about 15-20 minutes.

Some people apply conditioner on dry hair, some on wet hair, some dilute their conditioner, some choose cheap watery conditioner for easier application. It really depends on personal preference and on what works for you. Be sure to massage your scalp before and while rinsing it out to help the conditioner clean better.

Feel free to check out the CO Washing thread for more information or if you have questions :p The experts there will be happy to help out

ericthegreat
June 2nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
COing, or conditioner only is a great way of getting oil out of your hair. The trick is to leave the conditioner onto your oiled hair for at least 15 to 20 minutes before you wash it all out with plain water.

Another reason why you might not be getting all the oil out of your hair is that you have been using too much oil. It is very easy to overdo oil on your hair.....................for most people just several drops of oil are enough to completely oil your hair. You want to just lightly coat your hair with the oil, not drown your hair into it. When it comes to applying oil, the "less is more" approach is better.

Safira
June 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
I would try to use less oil and mix it to conditioner. Or try that movie-star shampoo-method.

Itīs not about that washing techinque, at least not for me, itīs how much oil you use.

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I agree, use less oil or add it with your conditioner/shampoo. Another tip, change to another oil. I tried so many times using olive oil and never really like it. Now, I use sweet almond oil and I love it.

Guenhwyvar
June 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have tried using a very small amount of oil. I tend to wash off the conditioner 5-10mins after so I will try 15-20. Also my conditioner has jojoba oil and my shampoo coconut oil....

Its a herbal shampoo so it contains the real thing xD No funny ingredients I cant read xD

PianoPlaye
June 4th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Thank you guenhwyvar for asking & for all the replies so far - I think I've got the nerve together to break open the olive oil at last!

hs_atreides
June 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Maybe your scalp care needs aren't coinciding with your hair care needs. BUt if you are using a shampoo for oily hair that should be washing it well enough....
I agree changing the amount of oil or switching oils may do the trick. I have read a lot of members find coconut oil to be too heavy for their hair.
Good luck :)

OneCurlyMan
June 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I don't know if you are using coconut oil but I echo the sentiments of others on coconut oil. With coconut oil, less is more. Moreover, if you are using coconut butter, not oil, it is imperative to heat the butter by rubbing it between your palms until it becomes a clear liquid. I have found that improperly melted coconut butter leaves sediments that are hard to wash out.

silvermoon_76
June 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I did not know conditioner helped get oil out! :O

I used to lather, rinse, and repeat (repeatedly :P) if I'd over-oiled. Not very good for hair, especially with SLSy shampoos :/

GRU
June 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I sometimes use copious amounts of oil on my hair (30ml or so), and I've always been able to get it out with CO-washing. Rather than leave the conditioner on my hair for long periods of time, I just CO-wash, rinse, CO-wash again and just let that sit for however long I need to finish my other showerly duties, then rinse. It's never failed me.

Jcv-Shelley
June 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I find that diluting my CO with water either 1/4-3/4 ~1/3-2/3 ~1/2-1/2, putting on a shower-cap, putting a heat cap on top of that, and waiting for bit helps me. Wiggling and flexing my fingers while rinsing with cold water for 1 min or so helps others I've heard.

Edit: Have you already tried mixing the oil within the conditioner with or without an acidic juice? Or maybe just having an ACV rinse at the end of your wash?