PDA

View Full Version : sigh...thin hair

strangemeow
June 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
So I guess I'm posting because i need a little encouragement. I'm definitely not sure what my hair type is, but its very thin..I haven't measured the circumference because i don't want to be even more worried about it. My hair is aaaaalmost waist length, and its in pretty good condition and looks healthy, but im wondering if it will look very good much longer than it is because well, its pretty thin. I do have an underactive thyroid and currently cant afford an RX for it, and maybe that would help, but i don't really know what else i can do if anything. I like my hair and REALLY want it to be at least tailbone length, but maybe not so much if it will be all skinny and scraggly looking. Any advice or words of encouragement are welcome, i can use all i can get for my skinny hair :confused:

monsterna
June 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
If it's possible, can you take a length picture to show the back of your hair and I think it'd better help to see what your concerns are. You can just link to the photo from photobucket or flickr or some other photo hosting site.

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM
You could try trimming it straight across while it grows so that it doesn't grow out too thin and scraggly, that way it can be thicker :) It has worked for me.

islandboo
June 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Well, mine is skinny and scraggly looking also but it is all I've got so I try to focus on the positives (in my case, it is soft and shiny and doesn't give me headaches). I get frustrated sometimes when I compare myself to some of the more luscious locks on the site, but mostly I just try to keep it in the best shape I can and enjoy what I have. Just try for tailbone and see how it looks when you get there. Besides, at tailbone you can keep it in all sorts of cool updos and then it won't look scraggly. :flower:

snakewitch
June 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM
So I guess I'm posting because i need a little encouragement. I'm definitely not sure what my hair type is, but its very thin..I haven't measured the circumference because i don't want to be even more worried about it. My hair is aaaaalmost waist length, and its in pretty good condition and looks healthy, but im wondering if it will look very good much longer than it is because well, its pretty thin. I do have an underactive thyroid and currently cant afford an RX for it, and maybe that would help, but i don't really know what else i can do if anything. I like my hair and REALLY want it to be at least tailbone length, but maybe not so much if it will be all skinny and scraggly looking. Any advice or words of encouragement are welcome, i can use all i can get for my skinny hair :confused:

From your picture in your avatar, you and your hair are beautiful.

I've seen many people with thin ends or thin hair in general who have more than waist long hair. It's not very common to see people with such long hair in general, but I've seen it. You can tell it's thin but it still look really, really good.

Also, you should get that medical issue sorted out. Never good to extend the period in which something in your body isn't working.

strangemeow
June 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM
thank you guys for the compliments and advice :), i will try to get a length pic up as soon as i can, i don't have the connector thingy between my camera and computer anymore. i just trimmed about an inch and a half a couple weeks ago because i had alot of taper and it did help a bit, i plan on doing little trims every few months until its all even. im definitely trying to sort out my medical issue, just waiting for my insurance to take effect so that i can afford it, because i affects more than my hair, but thats a crappy side effect for sure anyway.

Mesmerise
June 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
In your avatar pic your hair looks fine! I would advise you to measure your circ, even if the result is sort of horrifying, because if/when your hair starts to thicken up you'll know about it and be able to keep track. Also if you start losing extra hair and your hair becomes thinner, you'll also be able to track it. You may also be surprised to find it's not as bad as you imagine!

There are some people on here with very thin hair that looks lovely, luxepiggy is one I can think of!

DoubleCrowned
June 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
Yes, do measure the circumference! Mine is one and three eighths inches--pitiful, compared to so much of the beautiful hair here, but encouraging because by measuring it, I have a starting point. By declaring a starting point, I created a commitment to better hair. It's liberating to make the start. That simple act of measuring and taking that dreaded length shot immediately changed my attitude about my hair for the better.

So far as having scraggly hair goes, it doesn't much matter if you are wearing it up, and wearing it up is one of the best ways to protect it so that it will grow long. You can't lose.

teela1978
June 1st, 2011, 11:11 PM
Is it the pills or the prescription you can't afford for levothyroxine? Its only $10 or so a month for the pills (half that through cvs if you join their prescription dealy thingy).

ETA: and your hair really doesn't look that thin. I bet you'd be surprised if you measured it.

vindo
June 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
My hair is aaaaalmost waist length, and its in pretty good condition and looks healthy, but im wondering if it will look very good much longer than it is because well, its pretty thin. I do have an underactive thyroid and currently cant afford an RX for it, and maybe that would help, but i don't really know what else i can do if anything.

Since your hair is already at waist length it is unlikely it is extremely thin.

Do you feel your thyroid causes your hair to be thinner than it used to be? I do have Hashimoto's but it does not affect my hair. However a pituitary tumor caused me hair loss over a year ago so Prolactin is something that should be tested along with the thyroid.

And like others have said, the meds are not all that much. I pay for mine too and to get more out of it I have the doctor prescribe me 100mcg when I only need 50. I cut the pills in half and they last twice as long :)

strangemeow
June 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
its the doc appt and initial lab work mainly, i tried that one and my symptoms went away slightly, but then i heard of armour thyroid, and i want to try that, its not a synthetic hormone, but im not sure of the price on that one. i should be getting my insurance card soon though, my money is very tight in general these days due to paying off my sons medical bills for surgery earlier this year. im slowly catching up and it will happen eventually. its been a very long time since Ive had my meds for it.

my hair looks pretty thick compared to normal in my pics, that was before LHC so they weren't specifically for hair shots and i fluffed it up quite a bit. tomorrow i will measure my circumference and soon ill get a decent length shot up. i do have a webcam to take pics with but that might be tricky.

strangemeow
June 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
thanks emichee, i do feel that way, i first found out about my thyroid issue because my hair was shedding alot fast and i was cold and tired all the time, weight gain, and just unhappy and blah in general, they drew blood and gave me meds. it slowed the shed, but it never quite filled back in the way it was(not that it was ever thick, but it was definitely thicker than now), and i was still tired most of the time. i didn't feel much different on synthroid but blood test after showed "normal" levels. thats why i want to try armour this time, ive heard good things from people i know who switched from synthroid.

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Strangemeow, your hair is very pretty. Give it a try to your goal, I'm sure it will look better than you think. Please take good care of your health. I hope you get better.

strangemeow
June 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thank you curlymarcia! Im going to let it keep growing and just keep wearing it up. Some of the new things Ive been trying in my hair have been showing good results so Im hopeful again. I also got my insurance through so I can go back to the Doc now.

prettykitty
June 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM
My hair is on the thin side, but it has a bit of a wave that makes it look thicker. I don't care if it looks thin when it's all grown out, so long as it's healthy :)