PDA

View Full Version : Hair protection at the beach?

ArienEllariel
June 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hi all, I'm chaperoning some girls at the beach over the weekend and I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to protect my hair? I'll be in the water most of the time.. thank goodness none of the girls are into sun bathing. Fair skin + "tanning"= lobster... :rolleyes: *cough* But anyways, I figured I would braid my hair or put it up in a bun with acrylic sticks to keep it from getting tangley but what about all the salt I'll be marinading in? Any tips?

Thanks!

EtherealOde
June 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Use a lot of oil on your hair or slather it with a rich conditioner. Maybe you could also use a bandanna or scarf to cover your hair as well. I put mine up in a scarf and then use a hat, but the hat is more to protect my face, ears, and neck amd also to help keep me cool.

|Xei
June 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I second the oil, though a conditioner might not hold up to well to being in water, I think.
Using a coney serum might be a good idea too, since that stuff seems to kind of waterproof the hair when enough is used.

Doing a nice, long hydrating treatment beforehand will probably help too, since salt water will dehydrate your hair.

When on the beach, whenever you have the opportunity to, rinse out the salt water with tap water or bottled water or something good for your hair.

Madora
June 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Wear a WHITE (not colored) hat or scarf. You sure don't want a sunburned scalp..or fried hair either!

Anje
June 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
If you can wet it down with fresh water first for a few minutes, that should help limit how much salt water it actually absorbs. Rinse it again if you're going to be out of the water for a while. Basically, don't let salt water (or chloriney pool water, for that matter) dry onto your hair.

I'd suggest a bandana or something to cover your head. I've burned my scalp before, and it's not nice.

BrightEyes7
June 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Here is a great article with tips about protecting your hair from the sun and sea.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115

tigereye
June 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Please don't put oil in it:shudder:! Oil+sun= fried.:(

People used to put oil on their skin to tan (I'm another person here who would never, due to the lobster-ness that comes with sun ;) ), and it effectively cooked them. It'll be really bad for your scalp and really bad for your hair. Try the conditioner idea. Just absolutely slather it, and stick a scarf or bandana on top. Braided buns are useful in keeping it untangly.
And yes, as Anje said, rinse out your hair with fresh water as soon as possible if you're going to be out of the sea/pool water for a while:)

Amraann
June 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I use to live in the Florida Keys on a beach and I used coconut oil successfully.

I only used it on the length and ends.

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
You can add a little of sunscreen to your favorite hair product. There are commercial hair products with sunscreen. A friend of mine that lives nearby the beach told me about it (her hair is healthy). Whenever you are out of the water put a hat. Enjoy your weekend!

Kristamommyx3
June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I have lived in Florida my whole life, and I agree that the sun sand and surf can do a number on your hair! We just spent this past weekend, well four days actually, in Daytona Beach, and we spent many hours a day alternating between the pool and body surfing and boogy boarding. I came home with a head full of straw! In hindsight, I should have rinsed my hair in fresh water and then doused it in conditioner, but next time I will remember, hehe. Also, rinse your hair in fresh water after you are finished at the beach. Avoid getting sunbock in your hair, it feels gross. Or, you could put on a baseball cap, braid your hair and tuck it in the cap. Oh, FYI, I did and nice hot oil and honey treatment the day after we got back and all is better. :D

~BoHemiAngel~
June 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
When I lived in Hawaii and went to the beach every day, I would wet my hair first and apply Burt's Bees pre-shampoo avacado butter before swimming. http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/hair-treatments/avocado-butter-pre-shampoo-hair-treatment.html

Love this stuff!! :D

Kristamommyx3
June 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Thank you soo much! I have been looking for something just like this and I've passed this by so many times without a second glance. But, when you posted the link, I checked it out and everyone says how great it is etc. Plus, it's a pretreatment, which is what I need because I have to shampoo my roots every day. If I wasn't already in my jammies, I'd go get it right now!

When I lived in Hawaii and went to the beach every day, I would wet my hair first and apply Burt's Bees pre-shampoo avacado butter before swimming. http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/hair-treatments/avocado-butter-pre-shampoo-hair-treatment.html

Love this stuff!! :D

MusingFrog
June 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm going to have to get some of the Burt's Bees stuff as well. I have a family reunion at the beach in a couple of weeks and have been mulling over how to handle the hair issue.