PDA

View Full Version : Hair accidents ! be careful! pics included.

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:08 PM
So , A big problem! I bet i am not the only one this sort of thing happens to , this is seriously the second year in a row that at the begining of summer I get my hair stuck in the fan blades ... I am super upset because I finally reached my first real goal of having a decently blunt classic lenght cut ! And stupid me did not listen to miss UltraBella (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=29285) , a very awesome lady on our forum to take some regular progress photos! hahah not too long after this it was a hot day and I stepped behind my fan and VRRRIPPPP! Sucked my hair right up! I unplugged it with my foot like a monkey right away ,and used a butter knife to take the fan apart. Head still attached mind you , and I really salvaged what I could I just been oiling the ends and really leaving it alone , as you can see in these photos .. once again ..damaged ends! (and I am sorry in advance for these horrendous shorts , they do not make cloths to fit women anymore and it is a million degrees , this is my bathing suit actually lol i been swimming in this ugly getup)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100_6679.jpg

^ this is a few days in extreme heat with unwashed hair , I combed it but the ends are not slick and straight instead they look kinda , frazzled :-<

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100_6682.jpg

my sis inlaw took these pics and I would not hold still I kinda look like a Sasquatch but you can still see it looking a bit damaged even from the side.

My advice , I just picked up two of them , they are a bit expensive but in best buy there are blade-less fans I looked like a maniac in the store I was sticking my head through them , but even if you have small pets or children these fans are amazing , they are def. hair safe , and toddler finger safe! Not to mention they do not heat up like the motors of regular fans , and they do not shoot dust at you from dusty blades ! Have a great summer everybody and be careful!

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Awww that sounds horrible :( Your hair is still gorgeous though :)

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM
thank you so much! But be super careful I really thought I was a good distance away from the dumb thing!

Quixii
June 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Oh no! That's gotta suck. :(
The other day I was washing my hands in a restroom, and this other lady compliments my hair and tells me her own hair story - not too long ago, after she'd been growing it for seven years, it got stuck in a paper shredder. :( She had to cut it way back, apparently.

PinkyCat
June 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Oh the horror!!!

You poor thing. At least you still have pretty much all of your length.

PS - wish the back of my legs looked like yours! :pray:

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Oh geez! Paper shredders are scary! I noticed im real dumb .. i got out a fresh paper bag and started skinning vegetables for a salad and leaning over the bag ... i was not paying attention to all my hair inside the bag getting covered in veggi skins! It is so easy to do silly things without noticing and wreckin your hair! Luckly the only damage is my hair was clean beforehand lol.

cheetahfast
June 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
Your length is beautiful!

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Lol thank you everyone , geez I was sittin here embarrassed to put up photos of my damage and everyone is so sweet and full of complements! I really appreciate it! But I can not wait to grow out the new v! :->

Firefly
June 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM
How scary! Thanks for the reminder; fan season is just starting here. FWIW I still think you hair is gorgeous! :)

Lollipop
June 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Ouch!!! At least your hair is still gorgeous :flowers:! As far as the fans go, are they the dyson ones? They look so cool and I was wondering if they're worththe money. Sorry, hijack :p

JadeTigress
June 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
I can completely empathize with you. I've done it before, when my hair was still classic length. :p And, I have no idea how it happened, but I've also gotten it caught in the conveyor belt at the grocery store, while it was moving.

And people have to ask why we wear long hair up all the time. :rolleyes:

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Lol! Beware ..fan season...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/killerfan.jpg

error
June 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Yes they are totally worth the money! Especially if you are as clumsy as me or have small children / pets that are very curious !

owlathena
June 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
You still have my dream hair :D

I'm sorry that happened! I'm be extra careful around fans from now on!...not that we ever need them here. :(

BlndeInDisguise
June 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
I've gotten small amounts of hair (just a few strands) caught, and it's scary! I feel for you! Your hair is gorgeous though and doesn't look bad at all. :)

You are pretty, too! :)

Mesmerise
June 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Your hair still looks lovely, even if those ends are a wee bit tatty! Still I'd swap yours for mine. And you're also very beautiful! (I also wish my legs looked like that lol... fortunately it's not summer on this side of the world so I've got a few months to get ready tee hee).

HairStickler
June 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you! That happened to me, too, and it was a very scary experience. It is a good reminder to all of us to be careful around fans and other equipment.

UltraBella
June 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
I thought it was going to be worse ! I am so relieved !!! It's not that bad, your ends are a bit worse for wear but just think how BAD it could have been. Whew !!!

My advice to everyone is : beware of toasters. Toasters are hair eating monsters. I had toast in the toaster and I leaned over it, not even thinking, to get a plate out of the cupboard. The smell of burning hair is not pleasant ! Luckily, I can't tell what area was damaged.

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Oh no that's horrible. ): Thanks for the warning.
But your hair is still beautiful!! <3

Avital88
June 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
I hope your hair will recover soon! Its already pretty,im curious how good it can look without damage.. Plz remember to make progress pics every other month or so :) xoox

PrincessBob
June 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
A fire dncer in my area known as ___, the Reckless, lost all of his long hair last summer. Not due to his fire-spinning, breathing and eating as most people would expect, but at his day-job working construction. his pony-tali slipped over his shoulder onto the blades of a saw and people had to think quick to save him.

Sooze
June 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
A salutary lesson to everyone about fans, and it must have been quite scary to have happen to you. Error - your hair really is beautiful. You'd never guess at the damage. (hug)

phoepha
June 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm so sorry that it happened to you!
but your hair is gorgeous!!!

Juneii
June 2nd, 2011, 12:44 AM
OWWCH! On the bright side, it was only your hair that got hurt and it still looks beautiful. Since it's summertime just put that hair up and it will grow out by the fall :)

Nathanael
June 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Your hair is beautifull. But I admit that I don't envy what happened to you.

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Oh you poor thing, however your hair is still beautiful. Another thing apart from toasters is food mixers, this poor little girl http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/little-girl-scalped-by-kitchen-mixer/ another good reason to keep long hair up.

Safira
June 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
Your hair (and you) are beautiful!

Alvrodul
June 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
Your hair is still beautiful!
Every longhair will know how easily accidents happen. The hair floats out somewhere it is not wanted, and gets stuck. That is why I usually wear updos! (well, showing off my pretty hairtoys is also a factor! :D)

ericthegreat
June 2nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
This is yet another reminder as to why those of us with extra-long hair to ALWAYS be careful with our locks when its around machinery. The best solution is of course to always wear it up and completely contained in some sort of bun when working around tools or in your case sitting anywhere near a fan. This is why I love air-conditioning instead. :cool:

squiggyflop
June 2nd, 2011, 03:31 AM
i too had a recent fan accident.. some of my hair got caught,, i saw the rest going in so i ripped the hair that was already caught to save the rest.. so only about a pencil thick section of my hair was damaged.. ripped to 7 inches long, right on the back of my neck..

so i feel your pain.. i do..

Dragon
June 2nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
I am sorry that happend to you. Your hair is still gorgeous. At least you are ok. I have never thought about hair and fans before, thanks for warning everyone. I am glad where I live now has sealing fans.

Dragon
June 2nd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I thought it was going to be worse ! I am so relieved !!! It's not that bad, your ends are a bit worse for wear but just think how BAD it could have been. Whew !!!

My advice to everyone is : beware of toasters. Toasters are hair eating monsters. I had toast in the toaster and I leaned over it, not even thinking, to get a plate out of the cupboard. The smell of burning hair is not pleasant ! Luckily, I can't tell what area was damaged.

Thanks for the warning, I had never thought to beware of toasters. I'm glad your hair is ok.

Dragon
June 2nd, 2011, 03:44 AM
Oh you poor thing, however your hair is still beautiful. Another thing apart from toasters is food mixers, this poor little girl http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/little-girl-scalped-by-kitchen-mixer/ another good reason to keep long hair up.

I just had a look at the link. The poor kid. I am glad she is ok.

CrystalStar
June 2nd, 2011, 04:08 AM
Your hair is absolutely stunning whether you have caught it in a fan or not! :p

I once managed to tangle my fringe in a handheld mini-fan. It was not fun. :laugh:

Automne
June 2nd, 2011, 04:43 AM
I am sorry that happened to you it must be very scary. Your hair is still gorgeous!!
Thanks for the warnings!

Zesty
June 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
You and your hair are still very, very pretty, and the damage will grow out in no time, I'm sure. But it's really unfortunate that that happened. :(

Like everyone else, I can empathize with hair getting caught... Mine's been shut in car doors, sucked through the back of a hair dryer, caught on my purse strap SO many times, and caught in my DBF's stubble! :laugh: That's actually how I found LHC: looking for a good way to keep my hair safe from the world's many dangers! I always wore it down and never knew how to do a real updo. They're life-saving.

Also, maybe you'll start a new LHC trend with the bladeless fan purchase. :p

newbeginning
June 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
You're gorgeous and your hair is too. I think all of us are just glad you're safe. I've had some pretty close calls with fans and my hair is shorter. I guess this should be a PSA for all of us ladies with longer hair to watch out for fans this summer.

Tuntenut
June 2nd, 2011, 07:14 AM
Oooh, owie owie owie! shudder: It could have been worse, but even a little bit can feel like a nightmare. But, as the others have also pointed out, it still looks good and most definitely long. :) And I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you look like Samantha Fox in the second photo.

I've had my hair caught in my school bag zipper, on a door knob, in the fridge door and on the back of my desk chair. All that in just one day! I have pencils, hair ties and bobby pins lying about everywhere so I'll always have some way of keeping it safe from the world. And I think the fans will stay in the cupboard this year. I don't mind melting if it saves my hair.

error
June 2nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I wanna thank everyone for their support on this topic , everyone here is so sweet! I should have taken a pic of the massive clump of hair I removed from the fan blades , it was definitely a whole kitten ! O my and the picture of that poor little girl she must have been so scared! I am going to try to be veryyy super careful with appliances now and when shopping get the most ouch proof appliances possible LOL , and thanks ultrabella on the warning of toasters , I love toast :-< so the toaster would be my next bane ... i actually made my favorite seeded rye bread as a part of my breakfast! I can only imagine if i was peeping through my cupboard at the same time! luckily your hair is gorgeously thick so i think even if you lost half of it it would still be beautiful ... If i keep losing kittens off my head ill be joining the bald and loving it forum! Hahaha thank you again everyone for your support , you guys are the best!

tigr
June 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
error - When I had waist-length hair before, I was terrified of fans. I'm so glad to hear you're not bald! But better a kitten than your whole head.

I would have been so scared.

selderon
June 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
yikes! Who knew long hair was so risky? I feel all kinds of pleased with myself for liking to wear mine up. I thought it was counterproductive, but now I see it as a sort of security measure.

I'm glad you're still with us, error and squiggyflop and UltraBella... and no worse for the wear.

Ginny Mae
June 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the warning - I've never really had a hair "accident" so I'm probably not as careful as I should be. Although that might be because I'm too wussy to go anywhere near paper shredders, machinery etc. in the first place! For what it's worth, your hair looks great to me and I think you look a bit like Angelina Jolie in the second picture (or maybe that's just me?)

Chetanlaiho
June 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Ouch that sounds terrible O_o

But your hair still looks amazing! You're making me want to change my goal length xD (though my hair would never look as lovely as yours) and at the risk of sounding creepy, you look very pretty in the second picture :)

heatherbelle
June 2nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
and at the risk of sounding creepy, you look very pretty in the second picture :)

LOL! I was going to say the same thing...very beautiful hair btw.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
The damage isn't too bad considering what happened. Don't feel too bad, and do count yourself lucky that that's all that happened! :grouphug:

Long hair and fans, no, they don't mix. :( Going to remember that for when it's fan-time again.

I once had just one hair that accidentally got pulled into the back of my blow dryer, and there's this safety in back too, but nevertheless a hair got through the tightly woven frame in back. Ouch, and OMG the smell!

error
June 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Aww thank you everybody! Heh im a part of a costume building forum and nothing any of you ever say sounds creepy! I know creepy! Lol , i wanna thank everyone for the complements!!! Geez you guys are really full of complements I wish all of you went to high school with me , it would have been a pleasant experience! lapushka your story actually happened to my mom it is a really strong awful smell like when hair gets set on fire and its so scary we no longer have blow dryers in the house ... the only thing i really ever used it for was when i washed out spaghetti stains on my shirt lol i would use the blow dryer to get the wet spot off... they seem to be dangerous little devices and when you have long hair blowing all around it is hard to avoid it flying behind the darn thing and getting sucked in . It is near impossible to remove safely too I am so sorry that had happened to you as well , you would think something made for hair would be perfected by now lol. But i gotta admit since this happened i been a bit paranoid i have a small bald spot somewhere against my scalp about an inch above the nape of my neck and it no longer is soar just bit dry , so i been hydrating it with (aquaphore) you can find it in the baby wipe section of most stores , it has a lot of petroleum in it so you only need a tiny dab but it has great hydrating properties and it is very gentle i used to inform my tattoo customers of it when their tattoos were finished and it would heal them up extremely quick , way before the two week mark of tattoo healing ..but yep i gotta sit and study member catspank's beautiful updo's with interesting hair forks and sticks and put my hair up this summer!! lol

Viscountess
June 2nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I had a 'hair accident' very early in my career that was quite frightening.

Working in an upscale office back in the day when laser printers were just the newest and latest thing, and about $6,000 each. I was watching my documents come out, as I had a client waiting in the reception to sign off on them.

What I didn't notice was my hair was getting trapped in the printer rollers. Given the extreme heat of the printer rollers, paper, and my hair the entire printer burst into flames!

With my HEAD next to it!!!

Any creature's first reaction to fire is to run away, so I jerked my head back in shock and surprise. Enough of my hair was caught up in the rollers and burning that I pulled the printer off its station and into the paper recycling. With more fire as a result, the alarms started, the sprinklers started and I am despirately calling for a pair of scissors, because, you guessed it, my hair was still rolling up into the damn printer!!! The building had to be evacuated.

I ended up with a chop above the ears, from former tailbone lengthed hair.

I was also fired on the spot. Jerks.

error
June 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
OMG that is horrible!!!! You could have been burnt and disfigured thank god nothing worse happened and them jerks fired you! That is just completely insane , you must have been so scared :-< geez! im so mad i wanna call them up and complain lol!

Viscountess
June 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the sympathy!!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but your story brought back some scary memories! I'm glad you're ok and you only lost a small kitten's worth of hair!

error
June 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Nooo i welcome any stories that would make people think twice to be more careful especially with simple devices that seem harmless! Seriously if anyone has a story please throw it in , do not worry about hijacking my thread lol! That is what this thread is for! , i hope you were able to achieve tailbone length hair again after this ordeal! that or beyond even!!

Mrspuddinhead
June 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Bless your heart!! That had to be soo..... scary!! Though I still find your hair quite beautiful. I'm envious of the length. When I was younger my mother kept my hair quite long. Any way my brother was pulling me in a wagon and somehow my hair got caught up in the wagon wheel. My mother had to cut it and I had a little boys hair cut.

error
June 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Aww no!!! My cousin had beautiful long hair and i remember her baby hair was still at the end of her long braid and it was the only hair that curled so she had a long braid with an adorable curl tip! i remember some girls were jealous that were older then her and gave her a jungle book man cub haircut .I was so mad! I remember she came over crying . I am sure your brother did not do it to hurt your hair! But it made me think of that story , probably the youngness of the story lol! I think the sound was the scariest part of the motor freaking out LOL. That and the thought of anyone walking in on me with a fan stuck to my head.

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:19 PM
gorgeous hair

fairytalehair
August 30th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Oh my!! I'm so glad you are ok!! And your hair looks fine too! That is my worst nightmare.

AnqeIicDemise
August 31st, 2011, 12:25 AM
thank you so much! But be super careful I really thought I was a good distance away from the dumb thing!

Your body probably was. Your hair? Not so much. shudder:

I'm glad you're okay, though. the good thing is that after a few months, you'll be able to trim out some of the damage.

ps: You, m'dear lady, are absolutely gorgeous. :D

Alacris~
August 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM
It still looks awesome, and even healthy!
Which is a real accomplicement considering the lenght!

But I know how it feels.... I was at a party (years ago) where they had a lot of candles..
you can guess what happened next. I was lucky that the fire stopped itself, because I didn't notice it! The smell was aweful indeed and the hair on that streak were a lot shorter.

I wore my hair up on party's for quite a while after that happened!
Not that I have to worry anymore, because my hair is only at waistlenght.

vanillabones
August 31st, 2011, 12:36 PM
I am so glad you are okay and that it didn't eat all of your hair. I love your hair it is so beautiful, so are you. I don't really worry about fans I have an AC, ceiling fan, and my hair is nowhere near long enough. I am unaware of the dangers of having long hair. I do remember burning my hair in hair dryers though and getting it caught and the smell of burnt hair for an entire day, but I gave up the dyer :)