PDA

View Full Version : Caring for hair on vacation???

Keepitgrowing29
June 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM
I will be going on vacation in a few weeks and I am completely terrified for my hair. I am almost positive that I will be hanging out in the pool and soaking up some major sun. I don't know if I am happy or freaked out by this. I am so afraid that the effort in maintaining and encouraging my glorious locks will be for none. That I will return with torched hair. My hubby and I will be staying with my sister and her husband. Not everyone appreciates the amount of work (water) needed to care for my hair. Anyone have any suggestions as to: 1. What essential hair products I might bring. Products that might help me to get through the week 1/2 of vaca. and 2. Tips on how to reduce my water consumption.

:?

Firefly
June 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hmm, not sure I will be much help. If it were me, I'd be bringing lots of hair covering stuff-- a bandana, a floppy hat, that kind of thing. I'd plan to put a good amount of coconut oil on my hair before swimming (I've also heard soaking the hair with plain water before swimming helps prevent your hair from absorbing the pool water) and just generally making sure it gets lots of oil and/or conditioner. My hair is super sensitive to sun damage though, so YMMV.

torrilin
June 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Unless you're visiting a place that is on major drought restrictions, or where you have to hand carry water and boil it on a stove to heat it... I'm pretty sure no one will give a damn about how much water you use. And even then, my hair would have to be well over 40" long before I'd need more than 3L for washing. (I can soak my hair with 500mL of water, so for a sponge bath I'd allow something like 1.5L to wet my hair, wash it and rinse it)

I don't usually go with the minimum I need. A typical shower is about 10-15 minutes, so on the long end but not to the point where most people would be fussing at me for wasting water. And while I can do Navy style showers, if you've got running water it really isn't necessary most of the time.

If you're inclined towards long showers and you absolutely feel like you need to save water, switch to baths for your trip. A bathtub usually holds between 10-25 gallons of water. Modern (in the US, post 1992) low flow shower heads have a flow rate of 2.2 gallons per minute, so a bath uses less water than a 20 minute shower. For people who love to soak in hot water, a bath is pretty much always the lowest water use option.

And realistically... if you're spending a ton of time outside in a pool, you will not necessarily want to wash your hair a lot. Get up in the morning, soak your hair in plain water and conditioner, put it up under a swim cap, and you're done. I know swim caps look dorky, but spending 2-4 hours detangling your hair is even more dorky, so I'd rather deal with the cap. If you can't live with a swim cap, make sure your hair is braided for swimming, tho probably I'd sub oil for conditioner then. Oil won't try to dissolve in the pool water, so it'll be more protective than conditioner would be.

DuckyDot
June 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Try not to wear oil/conditioner in the pool - It can be kinda gross for the other people.
But as another poster mentioned, try to soak your hair in water before going in the pool.
Creamy things in the hair will stop dryness and try wearing hats/bandanas/Large headbands to avoid sun damage.

lil'lady
June 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
I avoid the swimming pool like the plague, in addition I take loads of conditioner and slather it in my hair while lying on the poolside keeping an eye on OH and the teens' antics in the pool :)

Firefox7275
June 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
At BSL ii thickness I have washed my hair in two sinks of water and, at a pinch, it doesn't all have to be hot (so could come from a drinking water tap or bottled water) or can be reused for body washing. I've learned from LHC that diluting your shampoo makes lathering and rinsing easier. Are you willing to wear a sunhat, swimcap and/ or silk scarf? That means you could reduce or eliminate protective products and thus use less water. :cool: I am a massive fan of Batiste dry shampoo to stretch washes, whether camping or not.

Leave-in conditioner is brilliant for reducing water consumption and can be used to protect from sun and chlorine damage. If you could identify a conditioner that contains SPF and can be used for CO-washing, you might overload your hair during the day then CO-wash it out at night? If you can't imagine not oiling regularly, both coconut oil and shea butter contain a low SPF and can be CO-washed out. LHCers have used Inecto coconut conditioner and Fructis Triple Nutrition for CO-washing AND as a leave-in even though neither is their intended function! :p I would imagine the same can be said for Suave if you run a search? I use Inecto for CO-washing and just started mixing with extra coconut oil as an intensive, which rinses out surprisingly well. I also use the Fructis as a leave-in: it's high in palm oil so you probably wouldn't need extra oil which makes rinsing easier. Neither have any cones so you don't need sulphate shampoo. :)

Carolyn
June 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
It sounds like you will be staying at at relative's house. I don't think they are going to be counting the gallons of water their guests use. When you have company you expect to use more water and electricity for your guest's comfort. I'd take a selection of favorite products and hair toys. Be a good guest and don't hog the bathroom especially if they only have one bathroom. That doesn't mean you can't take daily showers and wash your hair as you need. I always like to look my best when I am on vacation so that often means more frequent hair washing than at home. One tip on not being a bathroom hog is to do your make up in your bed room and not in the bathroom.

RachieBaby
June 3rd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Im going to Corfu soon on holiday for a week, im from the UK. For my hair i've got:
a rimmed hat (not sure how else to describe it lol)
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo & conditioner
Wide tooth comb
Goody spin pins to put my hair up in a bun.
I was going to take coconut oil but was a bit worried of it turning to liquid in my suitcase :o lol
I think if my hair feels dried out when I get back from my holiday I can always do a deep treatment or a overnight coconut oiling :)

Enjoy your holiday! :)

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Definitely rinse after pooling. And maybe oil/leave-in conditioner when you aren't in the water. I've never found that sun damages my hair, but if it does for yours, I'd say to put it up and/or bring a hat. :)

curlymarcia
June 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I would suggest taking with you your shampoo, your favorite oil and a hat. If you are concern about the water, just full a bucket and it will be enough. Have a vacation!