PDA

View Full Version : 20 Best Hair Tips From Around the World

BrightEyes7
June 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM
So here was a nice little article from MSN about the 20 best hair care tips from around the world.

I thought it was a bit interesting. Some good tips, that we've heard here. Some basic conventional advice too. I don't think they are really specific to each region as the article states, but it's a good little article anyway.

So share your thoughts and maybe even a local secret from your neck of the woods... wherever that may be!

Enjoy!

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/makeup-skin-care-hair/staticslideshowinstyle.aspx?cp-documentid=28765370&icid=LIFESTYLE2&GT1=LIFESTYLE2

ETA: It's actually an InStyle article and it's 50 best tips!!! So enjoy some more advice.

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20366921_20485449_20942866,00.html

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Great tips. Thanks for sharing :)

kyandii
June 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
I liked the gelatin one. Might try it

*Rose Red*
June 1st, 2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you, it´s interesting to see what´s popular in other countries...

maysum
June 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for sharing!

The gelatine one got me thinking it might be a good additive to herbal rinses to change them from being messy and watery to thicker gels that can be smoshed into the hair. While I love the end result of rinses, I find them a pain in the preverbial to actually do.

Hmmmm. Might try it with catnip this weekend.

Slinks
June 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
I used the aloe vera straight onto my hair, might try it added to my shampoo :-)

Eva_M
June 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for sharing! I think I will try some of these tips...

Regan
June 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
lol, what the hell @ number 11... those are not braidwaves. pretty cool article, but I'd like to see if our members here could verify any of those statements - or whether the magazine just put a country to a "method" to sound exotic.

chenille
June 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
lol, what the hell @ number 11... those are not braidwaves.

Haha, that's exactly what I came back to this thread to write. Mayyybe if they were rope braids, but even that's unlikely. Her style says curling iron to me.

But having said that, some of the other tips seem pretty interesting. Some experimentation may be in order.

QueenJoey
June 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
lol, what the hell @ number 11... those are not braidwaves. pretty cool article, but I'd like to see if our members here could verify any of those statements - or whether the magazine just put a country to a "method" to sound exotic.

yeah, that was freakin rollers or something.

battles
June 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
An interesting read, thank you for posting!

GourmetChica
June 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for posting! Seems like Kerastase was behind that one a bit, so many of the product recs were for them. I would like to try some Manuka honey conditioner!

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
That's great, thanks for sharing!

bahoban
June 1st, 2011, 11:52 PM
Mexico: Towel-Dry Tresses
Instead of using a blow-dryer, Mexican-born stylist Oliver Ifergan suggests reaching for a terrycloth towel. "Many Mexican women will wrap a towel very tightly around their hair after showering and wear it until hair is dry. It's a simple way to make strands smooth and straight," he says.

Mexico: Gelatin Hair Mask
South of the border, they fight frizz with a blend of 1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin, 1 cup water, and 1 tsp. cider vinegar. Massage the gel-like mixture through shampooed hair, leave it in for 5 minutes, then rinse. "It's a practice passed down for generations," says Ifergan.

I'm from Mexico,, those methods are no passed for generations,,is a lie,,

the tips about sabila on your scalp & on the shampoo, and the avocado mask even onion on your scalp or on the shampoo.... those are in fact real traditions passed down generations, not those tips >:(

Springlets
June 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
I laughed when I read the one about how Irish women used to wash their hair in rainwater- that's what I did today and I've got Irish in me!

But I was confused about using that picture of Kate Moss as an example of "blondette". I don't see how her hair in that picture could be considered anything but blonde; maybe a picture of her when she first became a model would have been better since I think that was a color in between blonde and brunette.

vanity_acefake
June 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
That was really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Brige vonin
June 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Well these 20 tips are wonderful and i really like these tips.It is interesting information and everyone should know about it.Thanks for the posting.

jaquelines
June 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
i wonder if anyone tried that castor oil & crushed garlic. why would garlic be good for the hair ?

Safira
June 2nd, 2011, 03:38 AM
Some of those tips I have known already but some was new and helpful!

Ginny Mae
June 2nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
The Irish one made me laugh too - although I was born and brought up in England, most of my family were originally from Ireland and "naturally coarse and kinky" describes my hair perfectly!

Dragon
June 2nd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks for sharing, it had some very interesting tips.

DuckyDot
June 2nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Some of those tips were good BUT some of them just seemed to be 'okay we'll have THIS product for Russia and THIS product for Mexico and THIS product for Canada.'

But I have lots of Irish in me and the kinky, coarse description is perfect! :)

Automne
June 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for sharing, it seems very interesting.

Lilli
June 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
#14: slide cutting (starting layers 1" from the roots) - why would you do that to your hair?????

BrightEyes7
June 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM

I know! Those are definately NOT braidwaves... And I didn't realize Canadians were known for braid waves!! :laugh: I'm pretty sure people from EVERY country do that once in a while.

#14: slide cutting (starting layers 1" from the roots) - why would you do that to your hair?????

My thoughts too... Why would you want 1" layers?!?

I think for most of these they just had a tip and talked to one stylist from a certain country and said the tip came from there! Like they could've interviewed a stylist from Africa who said they put conditioner in there hair from the ears down only... and voila! It's a tip from Africa, even though people every where do that!

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for sharing, I am tempted to try the unflavored jello mask.

AmbrosiaShadows
June 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Eeeek! Number 17 sounds like it would just fry your hair! Why would anyone want to do that to their hair?

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Some of those tips are awesome. I definitely want to try aloe vera and shea butter. Thank you for sharing! :D

krissykins
June 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
I read the 50 tips link and boy, we LHCers have stolen a lot of tips from around the world. :p

beatriz
June 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome! good tips!

BabyRay33
June 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
the slide cutting isn't a great one, doesn't that cause splits?

prosperina
June 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
THe 50 tips is much better. It contains tips from India--sadly lacking in the first one. And there are mentions of olive oil and honey and beer.

This one made me laugh though. Obviously the person writing the article doesn't know what mehendi is. http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20366921_20485449_20942950,00.html

Heaven forbid they say the word 'henna' in their article!

PianoPlaye
June 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
I know a couple of pony people - I'll see if they'll allow me a squirt of the shampoo & report back.... :)
As for it being Russian? Pheh!

Ulvashi
June 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Has anyone tried the gelatin tip? I tried it today....just shampooed the scalp and poured the mixture hot on my hairs left for 5 min....it gave me soooooooooooo much body...and I never get body cuz my hairs are very flat....they feel pretty good right now dont how they will be by tomoro...but I m going to try it again if all went well...

And the romanian tip of mixing honey and conditioner...I dont know what it can do for highlights but i used to use it to make my conditioner more moisturizing

dmarie63
June 5th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I love the tip about the velcro curlers :) I am definitely going to try that one!

littlestarface
June 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The one of emarati women is true for women wanting a hair style or a cut and dye job also they have henna salons that apply henna for you. But if you want a real tip from the khaleej I would suggest using olive oil and ground fenugreek now that is a beauty secret from UAE. Also women there use some dabur products and arab women love love the hair more black and super thick and long :D