PDA

View Full Version : Oiling - I think I did it wrong

ashamanjababu
June 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
I tried an overnight deep oil treatment again the other day. Pretty much saturated my hair in coconut, olive, and a little avocado oils, wrapped it in cloth and slept on it.

Next day, I shampooed to remove the excess, used a little conditioner, as usual. By the time my hair was dry, it was amazing. Seriously, it was gorgeous! Sleek and smooth, defined waves, and the comb went through it like water.

The problem: it LOOKED amazing; it FELT. . . kinda yucky. It still felt sticky and oily and. . . icky. It kind of left a residue on my hands.

So I shampooed again, and now it's back to being poofy, dry, and rough.

Is there some kind of middle ground? How do I get there?

(I know, the answer is probably "experiment," but I'd love some advice anyway.)

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
I noticed that when I oil my hair, if I use enough, it seems as though I don't even need conditioner after washing my hair. I also put a bit of olive oil throughout my hair after I towel dry it to lock in the moisture and it makes my hair very smooth when it's dry and it doesn't feel oily at all (unless I put in too much)

Hope that helps :)

Amraann
June 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
I think that some have posted that conditioner helps remove the oil.

TheMechaGinger
June 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe try really light oil as just a leave in? Putting a little coconut oil in damp hair works wonders for me, I've never had a lot of luck with heavy oilings or overnight treatments like that

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
Oil is easier to wash out with conditioner, straight onto your hair no water (oil and water dont mix yeah!) and massage it in and leave for 5 minutes and then rinse out. Using shampoo undo's the good the oil has done. A coneless conditioner appears to work best!

I use EVOO once a fortnight and I use it very heavily, like dripping but the above method never fails. Good luck next time!

littlenvy
June 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM
What jojo said :)
Cone free conditioner after oiling, no shampoo.

Scarlet_Heart
June 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think the problem might be the coconut oil. Some people swear by it, but my hair doesn't like it. I too have a hard time getting it out and when I do get it out, my hair is left feeling kinda crunchy.

I do much better with camelia.

luxepiggy
June 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Oil is easier to wash out with conditioner, straight onto your hair no water (oil and water dont mix yeah!) and massage it in and leave for 5 minutes and then rinse out. Using shampoo undo's the good the oil has done. A coneless conditioner appears to work best!

I use EVOO once a fortnight and I use it very heavily, like dripping but the above method never fails. Good luck next time!

This. I found olive oil especially to remove with shampoo, but a good CO wash, with the conditioner applied to dry hair as described above, always did the trick.

Slinks
June 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
yep, what they said CO wash to remove oils .. :-)

ashamanjababu
June 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, all!

So, those who said to CO-wash, are you personally no-poo? Right now, I'm not interested in going no-poo; should I CO-wash to remove the excess oil, then shampoo like normal, or is this something that only works if you go totally no-poo?

BlndeInDisguise
June 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
I would use conditioner first and then shampoo as usual.

Also, some people's hair just doesn't like oil. My hair used to hate it, and would feel all crunchy and look dull and icky, but recently it's decided it liked coconut oil. I haven't tried any other kinds, but I suspect that it wouldn't like them.

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
I think the combination of oils may have been too heavy for you. I'd try them each individually to see how that goes. You might be the kind of person who has to clarify after oiling, too.

PianoPlaye
June 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Congratulations on trying, & overnight as well! Sometimes it's a bit easy to forget that the first step is the real doozy. :D
Says she with an as yet still sealed bottle of olive oil. (I've thin, feeble hair - I don't want to pull hair out under the weight and the sleekings - well, that's my curent excuse.)