PDA

View Full Version : Your hair regimen

Darkhorse1
June 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Alrighty--I"ve learned SO much from all of you, so I'm curious to know your hair regiem.

A friend of mine has very long hair, and she lives in Finland. She mentioned to me about some oil she uses, and I've seen that here but I don't think they sell it in my area (or I don't know what it's called)

I'm curious to know about what you all do to manage your lovely locks. I'm pretty easy about my hair. I wash it every two days with a clarifying shampoo and use a deep moisturizing conditioner. I let it air dry. I wash my hair at night, because I find it stays cleaner longer. Wide tooth comb out after a wash--I wash it upside down in the tub, and wrap it in a towel after squeezing excess water out. Comb out, twist up into a clip to dry or leave it loose.

That's pretty much it! :) Sometimes in the summer, I add a spray on condioner for extra hydration.

EvaSimone
June 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I wash with Giovanni 50/50 S&C every two or three days
sometimes I'll co when my hair feels dry but needs to be washed.

I finger comb my hair when damp and put either my long lovely locks sunflower pudding on it or a mix of aloe and jojoba oil.

Then I usually throw it up into a bun or something. I always braid my hair at night, if I don't then it "hurts" me by getting tangled under me or my cat will pull it to wake me up.

Usually the night before wash day I'll get my braid damp and put some more of the sunflower pudding on it, or I'll use Loreal color vive deep conditioner the next day (cone free)

So that's it but my routine is ever changing... : )

Is the oil your friend talks about either Coconut, Shea butter, Olive oil, or Jojoba? Those are pretty much the common ones, some of the more exotic LHCers use Monoi oil...

AJoifulNoise
June 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
My routine is revealed here, in my blog. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=11355)

Hope that's helpful! :flower:

ETA: I usually comb my hair when it is dry and then put it up, but if I am going somewhere after my shower I'll comb it wet and throw it up into a bun of some sort. I only use a brush to gather my hair into an updo.

Oh, and I don't take scissors to my hair at all.

flapjack
June 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Burt's Bees or Tresseme for shampoo (watered down).
Burt's Bees for conditioner.
Regular S/C washing every other day.
Coconut oil or jojoba oil on wet or dry hair every couple days, usually before bed so I can wash the excess out the next day.
Braided at night for sleeping.
Every once in awhile, I rinse acv down the ends in the shower and blast with cold water.
Used to be down all the time, but braids and buns are getting better, so I'm doing them more often.
Scalp massage with castor oil and coconut oil on my fingers... about once a week.
Trim off an inch or two every 6-12 months and tiny bits of snipping as I see fit.
Brush it once a day or every other day with a smooth plastic brush I have, when mostly dry. I can do the bottom when wet if I have to, but it usually never tangles. Sometimes I fingercomb it instead.

That's it, really. I make sure everything I put in my hair is soft and doesn't snag it, covered rubber bands are a must.

freznow
June 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Once a week herbal wash.

Once a month this entails cassia + fenugreek. All other times it's soapwort + honey. Though I'm still experimenting. I contain it while it dries, most of the time, otherwise it goes wacky.

About once or twice a week, when it's feeling dry, I oil it with jojoba or grapeseed oil. You can get grapeseed and other fun oils (olive, coconut) at the grocery store.

If my hair is being way out of control, or I just feel like it, I mist with an EO+water mixture.
I comb about twice a day, have it in an updo all day and a braid at night.

That's about it, for what I'm doing as of late.

Elainehali
June 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
my new routine

CO wash with suave vanilla floral.
s&d the day after I color
color with natural instincts (semi permanent)
brush after it dries.
put it in a braid to sleep
put it up when I'm at work
!Be creative with updos!

Sure I'm not the most hair friendly person, but it's the truth.

RavenDream
June 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
-S/C with Biolage Smoothing line 3x a week.
-Wet comb and wear up in microfiber towel while I get dressed and do makeup
-While still damp smooth over with coconut oil to control frizz, let air dry.
-Usually after that day is over I'll wear it up in sound kind of updo til the next wash
-Every other week I clarify with Sauve Professionals Clarifying. After that I do a misting of monoi oil and sweet almond oil.
-Every 2 months I use Natural Instincts Black to get rid of the orange that always creeps into my hair.
-And every 4 months I get 1/2 inch trimmed off.

Darkhorse1
June 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I love finding new routines/things to do. I can't sleep with a braid anymore though as I"m a back sleeper and I find it gives me a headache.

daydreamer
June 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I just changed my routine to CWC daily -- with Nature's Gate Awapuhii shampoo, Nature's Gate Aloe conditioner, and VO5 Tea Therapy Chamomile conditioner. I wash it at night and air dry it loose thrown over my satin pillow cover as I sleep (this one thing has done wonders for me!!). I comb it in the morning with a wide tooth horn comb and once in awhile I will brush it with a boar bristle brush.
If my ends have been particularly dry, I wet them and put on a teeny bit of shea butter.
I S&D when I think about it, but I don't trim otherwise.

flapjack
June 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking about trying CWC, myself.

Riot Crrl
June 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
This is basically what I do. A lot of folks will cringe at this cause I get it wet so much and do so much stuff to it, but I swear, I neeeeeeeed to. Also the wet combing, but when you're a curly it's the lesser of evils. I do the following most every day.

Rinse, decide how dirty it is. If dirty, conditioner-wash with cheap watery conditioner (usually every 2-3 days). Rinse. Apply more cheap watery conditioner, let it soak in for a couple minutes while doing other stuff in shower. Detangle with wide tooth comb. Decide how unconditioned it is. If needed, rinse watery conditioner and apply heavier conditioner. After a couple minutes, rinse lightly leaving in some conditioner. Blot with towel.

Decide how to wear hair. If down and curly, possibly apply a teeny tiny bit of oil. Apply gel. Diffuse to 70% dry. This does not happen too often in the summer.

If hair is to be worn up, apply more oil. Comb. Put up.

At night: if hair has been worn down and curly, put in a ponytail on top of head with scrunchie ("pineapple"). If hair has been worn up, take down and put in a braid with scrunchie.

Once a week: deep conditioning, worn in as long as possible up to a day.

Once every couple weeks: treat/color with henna, which has to be conditioner-washed seven million times to get out, and must be followed with deep conditioning.

freznow
June 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I love finding new routines/things to do. I can't sleep with a braid anymore though as I"m a back sleeper and I find it gives me a headache.

Two braids work better for that. Or make the braid on one side, so it's out of the way.

paper
June 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I love this thread. I've been trying to find a routine that works for me. This is what I'm doing now........

I use Giovanni 50:50 Shampoo and Conditioner. I was my hair every 3-4 days.
About once a week I CO with V05 Tea Therapy Conditioner.
I touch up my roots with permanent hair dye every 2-3 months.
I use Jojoba Oil when my hair looks dry and frizzy.
I comb my hair using a horn comb only.

NorthernDancer
June 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm only at the beginning of my hair journey, and am trying WO, but I thought I'd share anyway.

--Massage hair under the water for a while
--Turn around (so my hair is out from under the water) and apply my herb mix (rosemary, lavender, chamomile, green tea, ACV) and spend several minutes massaging that around, rinse
--Comb my hair (with a made-for-shower comb) under the water then apply Pantiene (I have several different types and rotate) only from the nape down, rinse and comb again

Once out of the shower I alow my hair to air dry with a towl around my shoulders to catch drips. But before bed I'll put it up, normally in a bun, but sometimes a braid, depending on my mood.

Quite often I'll leave it up for the whole weekend. Only taking it down to smooth it out if needed. I've been thinking about putting an oil on it when I put it up for the weekend.

.Amanaka.
June 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
This is the routine that I have now, but it changes quite often.

Once a week, wash with Head & Shoulders shampoo and V05 conditioner. Wear up. Comb with wide tooth comb every day/other day (I know, bad.) After a couple of days I will WO wash my hair, and then add either BBAB or some coconut oil as a leave in.

Very low maintenence, but it seems to be working.

Eden Iris
June 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Wash once a week with shampoo bar. Condition with Nature's Gate Organics. Rinse with vinegar solution. Rinse with cold water. Air dry.

Oil with coconut when damp. Comb and put up.

Oil (coconut or olive) or mist with very weak conditioner (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose) solution during the week as needed.

Wear up every day. Braid at night during the second half of the week (once I start braiding it wrecks my wave pattern, so I like to leave it free for a few days.).

Have fun finding a routine that works for you.

Chromis
June 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Another shampoo bar user here. Lather twice with CV bar, followed by a citric acid/ACV rinse. Wrap in turbie until not sopping wet and air dry the rest. No particular schedule, might be every couple days, might be a week, might be twice a week.

I braid at night, normally wear up during the day, use a wooden comb and a BB brush. S&D when I feel like it. Oil with coconut, in fact I use a couple drops on my scalp to tame frizzies. I don't always oil the length, figure it works it's way down. Aloe works well for me too, but I'm fresh out.

starfire
June 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Pre-LHC was S/C with a heavy cone conditioner once or twice a week.

When I first joined, I did a weekly CO. With cones.

Then I switched to shampoo bars with an ACV rinse. Tried oils/butters.

Then I alternated shampoo bars and CO (cone-free). More experimentation with oils/butters.

Now I wash with a sulfate-free shampoo from Trader Joes once or twice a week (and anytime I get sweaty). Seldom use conditioner anymore...

I'm not entirely happy with my hair but it's not worse than it was with all the attention. And now it's so quick!

Darkhorse1
June 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Now, I see a lot of people using coconut oil or some type of oil--what does this do? I'm not familiar with oils, but I wonder if that's how you all have glossy ends? My hair gets a bit dry due to sun damage and this is one of my reasons I'm seeking a spray in/leave in conditioner.

I have a health food store near me, so I could probably pick up things there :)

flapjack
June 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Coconut oil is awesome (I think, anyway) because it's light and soaks in easily, moisturizes your hair and makes it less prone to tangle, over time the ends definitely look and feel much nicer and chemically speaking it prevents moisture from leaving your hair. Someone posted a link to an article on here about coconut oil being the only one proved to actually add protein to your hair, but I don't remember where it is.

And with your hair type, I definitely think you could use it easily. My mom also has problems with her hair getting a little bleached/dried out from the sun and wind (she has naturally black hair and lives in the desert) and she looooooooooves coconut oil. It keeps her hair from getting the orange tones she doesn't like and it keeps the hair softer. Coconut oil also has a little spf in it so would explain why it's helping keep her hair exposed to the sun darker.

Riot Crrl
June 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM
If you want to try oil first without investing in a jar of coconut oil (it can be a little spendy where I live), you can try first with something around the house like olive or sunflower or safflower. But keep in mind that coconut is bound to be lighter and soak in better. If you want to wear your hair out, even in braid(s), I would recommend to go really light at first. Just a drop so your hands are shiny, then smooth over the ends.

Pierre
June 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Here's mine:
Every few weeks: Henna the roots. Sleep with henna on hair.
A few times a week: Shower with warm water, detangle with shower comb, and if I hit a tangle, part it in two, and pull them apart with fingers. If I find a tangle at the hair tips, snip it off. Scritch scalp with the comb.
Every night except when hennaing: Pile hair on top (or, if I want to keep a braid, put the braid on top) and hold it with a Buff.
Every morning: Spray jojoba on fingers and fingercomb through hair.
Occasionally: S&D.

DotDotDot
June 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
- CWC once a week with Aussie moist conditioner and either L'oreal kids swim and sport shampoo or Suave naturals tropical coconut shampoo.
- Daily scalp CO with Aussie moist (new addition - I only do this because I run every day and if I don't, I have scalp itchies from the sweat)
- Coconut oiling/SMT overnight once a week
- Mayo for an hour once a month
- 1/4"-1/2" trims when needed
- Fingercombing twice a day

Darkhorse1
June 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I very interested in coconut oil---can I get that at my health food store? Or the Beatuy Supply Outlet (that's a store that carries all sorts of hair products)? Can I get some online? That might be an idea product for me this time of year, because I have that brassy reddish look to my ends. While I get my hair colored with semi-permanent color, I just have the roots done. I did get herbal essence with coconut milk in it, but the oil sounds better.

Does it weigh hair down?

Chromis
June 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I very interested in coconut oil---can I get that at my health food store? Or the Beatuy Supply Outlet (that's a store that carries all sorts of hair products)? Can I get some online? That might be an idea product for me this time of year, because I have that brassy reddish look to my ends. While I get my hair colored with semi-permanent color, I just have the roots done. I did get herbal essence with coconut milk in it, but the oil sounds better.

Does it weigh hair down?

I would suggest the health food store. The coconut oil at the beauty shops is often loaded with other stuff. I get unrefined pure coconut oil. I find it doesn't weigh my hair down unless I oil too heavily, but every head is different!

twinstimestwo
June 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I just got some organic coconut oil at the grocery store! You might even check there, especially if your store has an "organic section" (ours does now). It was a pretty big jar for around 4 or 5 bucks, and coconut oil lasts forever!

Rydain
June 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Every few days, when the front of my hair starts getting separated-looking due to sebum buildup - CWC with random VO5 conditioner, Burt's Bees raspberry shampoo, Burt's Bees grapefruit conditioner (heavy stuff)

Every month - 1/2" self-trim (currently maintaining length)

A couple of times a day - mist with ordinary tap water to keep hydrated and bring out waves

I normally wear my hair loose. I ponytail as wash day approaches and braid it for workouts.

Katurday
June 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Kay, I wash every other day.
On the second day, after returning home, I do a heavy EVOO.
Then I stay at home.
The next morning, I wash it out with some...Nice shampoo.
It smells like Cinnamon Buns.
And I condition with a conditioner that has cones, but only dimethicone. (And smells like honey)
I damp ponytail it, and brush it with a wooden comb+BBB.
I wait for the shine to kick in, and smile.
=D

danacc
June 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
This is the routine that I have now, but it changes quite often.

Once a week, wash with Head & Shoulders shampoo and V05 conditioner. Wear up. Comb with wide tooth comb every day/other day (I know, bad.) After a couple of days I will WO wash my hair, and then add either BBAB or some coconut oil as a leave in.

Very low maintenence, but it seems to be working.

Hmmm, combing every day is bad?

My scalp goes nuts without scritching. I also comb the length with a wide-toothed horn comb after finger-combing daily when it is dry. Should I consider cutting back on combing the length? I'm concerned that if I don't detangle with the comb, the tangles will only worsen and be more difficult to resolve without damage.

What are your experiences?

Curlsgirl
June 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, combing every day is bad?

My scalp goes nuts without scritching. I also comb the length with a wide-toothed horn comb after finger-combing daily when it is dry. Should I consider cutting back on combing the length? I'm concerned that if I don't detangle with the comb, the tangles will only worsen and be more difficult to resolve without damage.

What are your experiences?Sometimes if I have worn my hair up all day and I do most of the time in the summer I don't detangle with a comb but only lightly with my fingers. If I can tell it's fairly tangled though I will detangle with my horn or wood comb very small sections at a time from the bottom while I am watching TV so I can take all the time in the world if I need it! There's no set way to do it. You just have to get to know your own hair's needs. I do not let my tangles get very bad because yes it make it hard to get them out and there's more risk of breakage when I do comb. Sometimes if I have waited too long I will either oil it heavily with coconut oil and spray with conditioner to detangle and then CWC or go ahead and CWC with a very thick coat of conditioner on it to get the tangles out. I have a favorite conditioner for doing this with.

As for my routine here it is currently:

CWC usually once a week with the first C being rotated between different conditioners and the W being a diluted color seal shampoo by Aveda. The second conditioner I have been using is Dove (dark blue bottle for damaged hair). This varies if I do a DT of protein followed by a moisture treatment.

Then after rinsing, I blot lightly with a microfiber towel scrunching a bit up and down the length to get the drips out. Then I apply product either Jessicurl or KCKT combos but ALWAYS a moisturizing leave-in and always some kind of holding gel and some coconut oil. I gently shake the curls and sometimes scrunch a bit and leave them to dry if I can. If not I put it up or if I HAVE to I diffuse a bit to help it dry. When TOTALLY dry I scrunch out the crunch. I sometimes style my bangs a bit with the blow dryer/and a light touch of the curling iron. They're growing out right now.

I try to keep it moisturized between shampoos with misting and leave-ins along with oil especially on the ends. At night I usually wear it down whatever way it falls because it usually doesn't do much during the night, guess I'm a heavy sleeper!

Darkhorse1
June 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I do go some days without brushing my hair. It depends on what I'm doing. Other days, I'll run a brush through and put it in a braid and head to the barn. Last night, I went out to a fancy resturant, after being on my feet at a Horse Trials Event for a better portion of 10 hrs. Had to wash hair, semi blow dry roots, then run a comb (wide, wide, wide tooth), and pin it back at the sides to do something with it (I was pressed for time!). Didn't turn out too badly.

The extra conditioning is working well, so I'm eager to see the results after a month :) I'd only been conditioning my hair when I shampooed, and realized that was the reason the ends seemed very dry. I am now wetting the ends at night, conditioning, rinsing and letting air dry. My ends already feel softer :)

groque
June 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
- CO using Suave
- use a leave-in followed by acclaims olive oil spray serum
- let air dry.

don't do any deep conditioning haven't ever notice a change in anything.

SweetPea88
June 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
-Wash every 3-4 days with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and apply matching conditioner on last third of hair (this is very recent as I was using CV bars for about 3 months)
-Wrap hair in turbie towel for about 10-20 minutes, take down and lightly detangle--mostly to separate waves
-Allow hair to air dry pretty much completely, apply coconut oil to ends if needed
-Use a satin pillowcase and put hair into a braid each night
-Apply oil as needed

Carina
June 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
I wash every other day.I'm a product junkie:o:cool:and use whatever I feel like that day.But I always use oil as a leave-in.But I never detangle when wet,ever.

Loreyanne_H
June 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
I wahs my hair when I need it (could be after two, three up to 4 days) with a Sante shampoo, then I condition it with my Sante brilliant Care conditioner and dry with an ionic hairdryer from Remington. I detangle with a wooden comb and brush every morning with a boar bristle brush, I "oil&butter" my hair a little every day (mango butter) and before washing I put on a little more oil or butter.

I wear my hair in a braid for sleeping and in a bun when awake...what else? I read carefully TLHC!