PDA

View Full Version : Is lactic acid a protein?

Charlotte:)
May 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
I was just wondering, because they changed the formula for all my beloved Suave Naturals conditioners, and the third ingredient is now lactic acid. 'Tis the only conditioner I've been able to find without cones or proteins, so I'm hoping this ingredient is okay. (But if it isn't, do you have any suggestions, because I'm almost out of my last bottle of the "old" kind?)

Kyla
May 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Don't take my word for it, as I am not a chemist, but I believe that it is just an acid, and used in household products as a detergent for cleaning, as it removes grime and bacteria. It is also a waste product produced naturally by the body through muscle contraction. I have also heard that it is environmentally safe to use in products. Once again, I am only a high school student, and can't really give much other than what I have stored in my brain.....so don't yell at me if I turn out to be wrong. :)

GourmetChica
May 31st, 2011, 09:23 PM
Nope, it's not. Just an acid, probably used to adjust the PH.

Kathie
May 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM
Based on my quick wiki search I'd say no. A protein is made up of amino acids while lactic acid is a carboxylic acid.

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Nope, lactic acid is definitely not a protein ;) It's been many years since I studied biochemistry but I do know that :D. It shouldn't be at all harmful to your hair either! You'll find it in fermented milk products like yoghurt, and it's also produced in the body during exercise.

And...that's about all I can remember without having to Google further ;).

Charlotte:)
May 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Whew! That's a relief :) Thank you!