PDA

View Full Version : I dont wanna make two threads... so, classification and braids. :D

snakewitch
May 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2s8ryx0.png

I think what I put as my hair texture type is somewhat accurate... but I'm not sure at all, I'm not even close to an expert. Looking at this picture makes me realize that I got my length way off at least... I'm a shorty so it's almost waist length. Oops. xD

But now on braids.

I've tried every kind of source and tutorial but nothing has really explained to me how to properly make a French or Dutch braid(I think the Dutch braid looks better but it doesn't matter much, they're almost the same), or maybe I'm just really dumb when it comes to braids.

I follow the directions and it always looks like a tornado hit my hair.

:(

PrincessBob
May 31st, 2011, 08:35 PM
Support! I too have problems with these braids.

Keildra
May 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Th69mzcBA
These are the videos I learned from, she also has a french rope, crown braid and a lot of other braids.

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2011, 08:45 PM
I think what I put as my hair texture type is somewhat accurate... but I'm not sure at all, I'm not even close to an expert. Looking at this picture makes me realize that I got my length way off at least... I'm a shorty so it's almost waist length. Oops. xD

But now on braids.

I've tried every kind of source and tutorial but nothing has really explained to me how to properly make a French or Dutch braid(I think the Dutch braid looks better but it doesn't matter much, they're almost the same), or maybe I'm just really dumb when it comes to braids.

I follow the directions and it always looks like a tornado hit my hair.

:(

I'm no expert on hair typing either, but I'd say at least a 2b, and in places probably 2c. As for length, in that shot it looks MORE than waist to me! I mean... it looks pretty much hip. However, it could be the way you're sitting?! It definitely looks longer than waist though.

I'm not much help with braids, as I only just figured out how to do a Dutch braid a couple of days ago. French you sort of do as a normal braid, but you bring bits of hair in from the side, whereas a Dutch is like doing a braid upside down and bringing hair in from the side. Yeah, helpful description I know ;) I'm not good at describing stuff! I'd say watch Youtube tutorials as you'll get a MUCH better idea!

Hotrox
May 31st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I am not good at typing hair so I am going to go with - Ohh, the very pretty type :D

Torin Paige has a good youtube link for braiding, all kinds of brainds and also a basic French and English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA

Hotrox
May 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
These are the videos I learned from, she also has a french rope, crown braid and a lot of other braids.

We recommend the same video at the same time! shows how good it is :D

alyanna
May 31st, 2011, 08:52 PM
Well I think you did a good job classifying your hair. I think it's a 2b/2c as well, since it's almost forming curls, but not quite.

I also believe you're at least at waist.

Pretty hair, by the way! We've got the same hair type and I can't wait to have your length!

snakewitch
May 31st, 2011, 09:18 PM

Oh, awesome! A lot of tutorials just have people who such at describing what they're doing or the video is low quality so you can't really see what they're doing.

But there's a problem(I could fix it if I tried... oh no! xD)... my hair dries and makes locks of wavy curliness. That ladies hair is completely straight and it doesn't look like it locks up(some straight hair does... it's kinda rare), so she's having a much easier time than I would trying to struggle to break up the locks in my hair.

I dunno if they're called locks but I think ya'll get what I mean. xD

I'm no expert on hair typing either, but I'd say at least a 2b, and in places probably 2c. As for length, in that shot it looks MORE than waist to me! I mean... it looks pretty much hip. However, it could be the way you're sitting?! It definitely looks longer than waist though.

I'm not much help with braids, as I only just figured out how to do a Dutch braid a couple of days ago. French you sort of do as a normal braid, but you bring bits of hair in from the side, whereas a Dutch is like doing a braid upside down and bringing hair in from the side. Yeah, helpful description I know ;) I'm not good at describing stuff! I'd say watch Youtube tutorials as you'll get a MUCH better idea!

Well, I'm 14... so I'm not at adult height. When I used to straighten my hair(when I read exactly HOW damaging it is I threw my stupid straightener away) it reached my butt. And since I'm constantly cutting split ends at the front only(when I'm bored... and that's the only place I can reach them. I can't even help it anymore. It's a bad habit.), my hair is like 2 inches shorter in the front. So that confused me until I took this picture.

I am not good at typing hair so I am going to go with - Ohh, the very pretty type :D

Torin Paige has a good youtube link for braiding, all kinds of brainds and also a basic French and English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA

Thank you. xD Your hair is very pretty too.

Those videos are helpful. I'll try that once my hair dries(which now takes several hours due to the length... oh, the pains of long hair).

Well I think you did a good job classifying your hair. I think it's a 2b/2c as well, since it's almost forming curls, but not quite.

I also believe you're at least at waist.

Pretty hair, by the way! We've got the same hair type and I can't wait to have your length!

It often does form curls. Usually when I sleep on it when it's drying, but I don't think that counts... does it?

Thank you. :D Your hair is pretty too, but it'll be prettier when it's long. I had your length about a year and a half ago... but you're probably taller than me so it might take you longer. I hope you're patient. xD

snakewitch
May 31st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Okay, I kinda just watched about half of that womans videos.

I've learned a lot. Yay. :D

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 02:35 AM
Your hair isnt waist its nearly hip! youe waist is the part which bends when you bend to the side!

Your hair type is 2b/c looks pretty fine and maybe ii/iii though measuring would be more accurate. very pretty too!

Mesmerise
June 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM
Your hair isnt waist its nearly hip! youe waist is the part which bends when you bend to the side!

Your hair type is 2b/c looks pretty fine and maybe ii/iii though measuring would be more accurate. very pretty too!

I think she is sort of slouching in the picture which makes the length harder to tell, but I agree it looks more hip than waist to me. I also agree that it doesn't look like i/ii thickness.

snakewitch, have you measured the circumference of your ponytail or are you just guessing about your hair's thickness? I think you might be surprised ;).

It would also probably be a good idea if you can get a picture of your hair from the back with you standing straight, because that will give a better idea of the actual length.

Oh, and although you're only 14 you're probably taller than me (most 14 year olds are lol).

Neneka
June 1st, 2011, 04:00 AM
Are you sure your hair is i/ii? It looks thick!

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 04:32 AM
I think she is sort of slouching in the picture which makes the length harder to tell, but I agree it looks more hip than waist to me. I also agree that it doesn't look like i/ii thickness.

snakewitch, have you measured the circumference of your ponytail or are you just guessing about your hair's thickness? I think you might be surprised ;).

It would also probably be a good idea if you can get a picture of your hair from the back with you standing straight, because that will give a better idea of the actual length.

Oh, and although you're only 14 you're probably taller than me (most 14 year olds are lol).
Yes I agree she is slouching which kinda makes it hard to tell, though a lot of newbies do seem to think waist is hip:confused: probably due to the fashion of wearing pants on hip these days. Also in regard to her age I agree irrelevent, 5foot is 5 foot whether your 14 or 40!

snakewitch
June 1st, 2011, 05:16 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2eeykj4.png

Okay, since I got so many complaints that I was slouching... my hair dried straight because I did the scrunchie thing that's supposed to make it curly incorrectly. Oops...

Then it's waist... xD I took another picture this morning.

As for the hair circumference thing, I re-did it and I think you're right...

I took another where I'm standing straight.

I have just measured the circumfrence and it's pretty much ii/iii... you guys are good.

I'm 170 cm tall, I still consider myself a midget. :D

Are you sure your hair is i/ii? It looks thick!

Not anymore. :D

Yes I agree she is slouching which kinda makes it hard to tell, though a lot of newbies do seem to think waist is hip:confused: probably due to the fashion of wearing pants on hip these days. Also in regard to her age I agree irrelevent, 5foot is 5 foot whether your 14 or 40!

I wear my pants correctly, I think it's waist...

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Okay, since I got so many complaints that I was slouching... my hair dried straight because I did the scrunchie thing that's supposed to make it curly incorrectly. Oops...

firstly they wasnt complaints they where observations, you was slouching your shoulders which shows on your more recently posted photo, where you have gone from nearly hip to a solid waist! please try not to take offence when you have asked for opinions:)

Then it's waist... xD I took another picture this morning.

As for the hair circumference thing, I re-did it and I think you're right...

I took another where I'm standing straight.

I have just measured the circumfrence and it's pretty much ii/iii... you guys are good.

I'm 170 cm tall, I still consider myself a midget. :D same height as me 5 foot 6, considered pretty tall!

Not anymore. :D

I wear my pants correctly, I think it's waist...
I wasn't refering to you personally i was referring to fashion, fact jeans are made to be worn on hips these days. Not too long ago jeans where made to fit on the waist. No offense meant but you came across as defensive and yes you are a solid waist. Welcome to LHC:)

Alvrodul
June 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
If you have trouble learning french/dutch braiding, try to braid your hair while it is still damp! I was never able to get the hang of it until I was in the Canary Islands for Christmas Holiday, and I needed to somehow get my hair under control between the morning shower and the day's first trip to the pool. :p