PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with Long Hair? Aaack!

sun-kissed
May 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM
So I am a 'swim every day or die' kind of person in the summer. In past years I have cut 2-3 inches off at the beginning of sumers so I can get in and out without much problem in tangles, but now I am trying to grow my hair to lower-back length, so right now it is just past BSL. I tried braiding it, but that made it much worse. o: I've tried swim-caps, and top put it simply, they are the death of me[or my hair, in this case].

I also am no longer a shampoo user, and simply wash with water, and once a week with BS/ACV. The pool I use is mainly salt, but I'm still having trouble getting even that out of my hair with a cold shower after swimming.

Does anyone have any tips for protecting my hair from salt/chem damage and tangles?

Thank you for any help!!

:blossom:~Sunny~:blossom:

Kyla
May 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM
If you search, there are tons of threads about this topic. :) I am a lifeguard and a swim instructor, and although I am sure people manage this way, I can not imagine not using some sort of conditioner on the hair afterward. Both chlorine and saltwater stick to the hair, and I find that conditioner (just V05 for me) not only protects it from splits but also cleanses it. I CWC after swimming. I also highly recommend shampoo, or at LEAST a swim cap. Get your hair wet in the shower beforehand, get the swim cap wet, and pull it over. If put on right, it shouldn't be damaging to your hair. If it is too small, you can find a larger one made for those with more hair.
Happy swimming!

Venefica
May 31st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Have you tried to put your hair up with an acrylic hair stick high on your head, if you do not duck under with your hair then that should keep the hair mostly out of the water. Also I am saying acrylic stick because that will not be damaged by water like wood would.

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have heard coconut oil put in the hair prior to swimming can be protective. Also, rinse with fresh water first if possible. I agree swim caps are a PITA, and I don't like them either... I actually like the feel of my hair in the water :(.

I think the best thing you can do is treat your hair really well after swimming, ensure you rinse properly and at the very least use conditioner!

rogue_psyche
June 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Completely saturate your hair with coconut oil before you swim. Your hair should look wet from all the oil. Some extra virgin olive oil on top and then braid. If you can stand it, use a silicone or latex swim cap.

I know you are trying to go without shampoo, but you need to get the pool or ocean water out of your hair somehow, the sooner after swimming the better. Try researching natural chelating ingredients? I recall Vitamin C being used for chlorine. Maybe I use my Trader Joe's Nourish Spa twice from root to length after swimming in a heavily chlorinated pool, followed with conditioner and leave-in. All the oil prevents my hair from getting too dried out after that.

I love swimming. I was on the swim team in high school, which coincided with my original chop to APL and heralded in five years of medium-length hair. I'm trying to keep the damage from swimming to a minimum, even if I seem high-matainence to my friends for showing after swimming.

ReadHeadGirl
June 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I got an old rubber swim cap like this one , from my mother. It is really snug and tight,it protects my hair quite well

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DKsiFhovI3o/SmfDACPhf4I/AAAAAAAAILE/zD1tddBQFxQ/s400/15111-2.jpg

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
If you search, there are tons of threads about this topic. :) I am a lifeguard and a swim instructor, and although I am sure people manage this way, I can not imagine not using some sort of conditioner on the hair afterward. Both chlorine and saltwater stick to the hair, and I find that conditioner (just V05 for me) not only protects it from splits but also cleanses it. I CWC after swimming. I also highly recommend shampoo, or at LEAST a swim cap. Get your hair wet in the shower beforehand, get the swim cap wet, and pull it over. If put on right, it shouldn't be damaging to your hair. If it is too small, you can find a larger one made for those with more hair.
Happy swimming!Yes... but none of the ones I could find where about what a NPer can do. Maybe I just overlooked, but -shrug-.

I honestly agree that I should use something on my hair, but my hair is fine and blonde, and if anything at all touches it, it turns... well.. gross. It took me months to get where I am now. Could I maybe use a very watered down baking soda mixture? Or would that be too harsh for every day use?
And I will research some conditioner to apply before/after. I think that sounds like a great idea.

Completely saturate your hair with coconut oil before you swim. Your hair should look wet from all the oil. Some extra virgin olive oil on top and then braid. If you can stand it, use a silicone or latex swim cap.

I know you are trying to go without shampoo, but you need to get the pool or ocean water out of your hair somehow, the sooner after swimming the better. Try researching natural chelating ingredients? I recall Vitamin C being used for chlorine. Maybe I use my Trader Joe's Nourish Spa twice from root to length after swimming in a heavily chlorinated pool, followed with conditioner and leave-in. All the oil prevents my hair from getting too dried out after that.

I love swimming. I was on the swim team in high school, which coincided with my original chop to APL and heralded in five years of medium-length hair. I'm trying to keep the damage from swimming to a minimum, even if I seem high-matainence to my friends for showing after swimming.I'd never thought of useing coconut oil, I'll look into it. Thank you..
But shampoo is a no, as much as I would like otherwise.. my hair reacts to everything I put into it. I used to have to wash twice a day when I used shampoo, and though with WO I can go about 48hrs without anything, it goes back to 12 if I put any product[shampoo, moose, hairspray, dry shampoo, etc.] in it at all. Is that normal..?

Anje
June 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
What kind of swim cap are you using? Latex is truly awful on hair (and I think the caps tend to be too tight!). Silicone is often a better option, especially if you can corner someone in the locker room and have them help you pull it on.

You might need to cleanse at least occasionally (how does monthly sound?) with a chelating shampoo, to keep the salt and other pool chemicals from building up too much in your hair. Regular deep conditioning treatments would also be a good idea. I would avoid watered-down baking soda like the plague. It's cleansing, but it's hard on your hair. It'll also simply wash off once you hit the water.

luxepiggy
June 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Two braids, one at each shoulder, tied off at both the top & bottom - i.e. make two low ponytails first, secure with elastic, then braid & secure the braid at the bottom. Completely saturate with water before you get in the pool. When you get in the shower, take out each braid while holding it under the flow of water. This will cut down majorly on tangles. I grew up in a house with a pool and I used to swim every day in the summers with hip-length hair.

Normally I would suggest saturating your hair with a 'coney conditioner before the pool, and also working conditioner into each braid as you take them out afterwards, but I don't know if you're willing to do that, given your current routine.

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
What kind of swim cap are you using? Latex is truly awful on hair (and I think the caps tend to be too tight!). Silicone is often a better option, especially if you can corner someone in the locker room and have them help you pull it on.

You might need to cleanse at least occasionally (how does monthly sound?) with a chelating shampoo, to keep the salt and other pool chemicals from building up too much in your hair. Regular deep conditioning treatments would also be a good idea. I would avoid watered-down baking soda like the plague. It's cleansing, but it's hard on your hair. It'll also simply wash off once you hit the water.
Well I used to have use a silicone cap for a swim team I was a part of, but it was chaos no matter what I tried, and I ended up quitting because of the damage it caused.

Okay.. this sounds silly, but what does chelating mean?

Anje
June 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
"Chelating" is the process of binding up the ionic substances (such as salts), in this case the ones that have managed to firmly attach themselves to hair. Your chelating products will typically have an excess of a substance like EDTA to bind up those ions when they're encountered. (Compare to normal products which might have EDTA, but probably only in the abundance necessary to take care of the ions that were in the water they made the product with.)

My only method for getting a swim cap on successfully was to wrap my hair up (bun, folded braid, whatever) so that it was against my head and basically staying put, hold the cap at my forehead, and then have a buddy grab the other side and stretch it out and over to the nape of my neck. I never managed it alone, not for lack of trying. Add goggles with a split strap to help keep the thing from popping off and to keep my eyes their ideal less-red shade, and I was set.

BrightEyes7
June 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Take a look at this article... you may find some good advice.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115