May 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hi
I mostly post on the henna section
But I have a question about growing out a pixie
I have only been doing it for three months...so far so good
My goal is to have shoulder length or even longer
To those who grew out really short layered cut...did you trim the back
So it doesn't resemble a mullet???
Meaning ..keep trimming the back to get it all one length then let it all grow?
Or did you just grow it all out and didn't cut anything from the start?
The back looks so bad now!!:(

elbow chic
May 31st, 2011, 12:07 PM
I didn't trim, mostly because I was postpartum-y and too tired to care.

There are a couple family portraits of me rocking the mullet. :) Then I got a nice chin-length bob about a year later.

So really that was the sole silver lining in my postpartum depression cloud. :D

I think if you can do the trimming without succumbing to getting a CUT, then you should go for it. I have always had a hard time trimming without getting overly scissor-happy though.

I guess I start feeling like, if cutting off a little hair is good, then cutting off more is better, and I wind up right back at Square One.

HairFaerie
May 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM
I do trim the back to avoid the mullet. It is even with my sides now but it still has layers. I am going to just grow it out from here since the mullet is gone. I will end up with a layered bob of some sort pretty soon. But I think once it gets to shoulder, it will look good. I don't want a straight hemline as it gets longer that's why I am not doing the all-one-length bob thing.

It's really just a matter of preference. Some people don't mind the mullety look. Some people don't mind the layers. (I don't.) But, some people would rather keep trimming until it is an all-one-length bob and then start growing length.

It's up to you and what your long term goal is.

Happy growing! :)

kaned_ferret
May 31st, 2011, 12:36 PM
My sister is a hairdresser and refused to let me become mulletted, so she trimmed up my back bits as I was growing my pixie out (got rid of the awful "duck-bum" where the bit at the back curls up because of lying on shirt collars!) I only let her do this twice though before I just kept on growing, it's now starting to go down the back of my neck - I wasn't going to keep trimming it til I got to one length, but then I don't plan on having one length at the end. Though at the time of cutting it DID make it look better, now I can't help but think hmm if I'd let the back grow it'd be able to be called shoulder length by now! Plus I like mullets lmao (shoot me!).
Really, the choice is yours, I would say if it looks awful / bugs you you can always trim it :)

mrs_coffee
May 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
I trimmed because the mullet look drives me crazy. I hate it. Everyone is different though. Some people aren't bothered by it. Do whatever makes you feel good about your hair.

Mymagicfairy
May 31st, 2011, 12:51 PM
You guys are all so sweet...problem is I don't know what to do
Hate the mullet!!!but I know if I don't cut it it will enable me to put it up faster!!
I am also like elbow chik....once I cut,....I get scissor happy
It would be my hubby trimming the back
I must say what has helped in hair growth....is henna...shampoo soaps..and oiling
I also went through Post partum...cut my hair short and it has remained short...youngest kid is NINE....but my hair is in much better shape now...thus the decision to grow it out...just hate the stages!!!!

HairFaerie
May 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
I hate the stages too, but having done this several times in my life...I do know it gets easier as it gets longer. The hardest part for me is resisting the urge to cutting during one of those annoying stages. That's why I put the pic of my hair from 2005 up....it reminds me that I CAN DO IT! :)

Kwongdzu
May 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've been growing a pixie since March, and feel your pain :)

There are some great pictures of pixie-growers in the Albums that made me feel better in trying not to cut the mullet. I'm just wearing headbands, hats, or pinning back the sides until I can pin up the mullet on a daily basis. But just do what you feel is best, it will grow!

Seeshami
May 31st, 2011, 01:40 PM
After I got a few inches back I used as many pins as possible to keep it in a pony tail. Unless I was tormenting...I mean tickling the Muffin Boyfriend with my hair.

Amara
May 31st, 2011, 01:44 PM
I personally have been trimming up the back while the top catches up. It's not exactly one length - it's all within about 1/2 an inch though, from juuuuust below my earlobes on the side to a bit shorter than that on the front ("bangs"). I wanted to have all one length hair - it's part of the reason I cut all my hair short - so I could finally grow out my bangs by doing it *with* my hair rather than playing catch up. So far so good... so, part of my goal was all one length, which of course means I wanted to be a trimmer.

nazzooyzo
May 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
i've been growing out a pixie since last august and i have trimmed the back a few times. some people can get away with having a bit of a mullet but i looked so silly when it went mulletty!

spidermom
May 31st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Neither choice as both the bob and shaggy hair look terrible to me. I went from very short layers to short layers to longer layers. I had trims about every 6-8 weeks to keep everything shaped up, and my stylist trimmed the bottom a little more than the layers. All layers were caught up by the lower reaches of BSL.

Venefica
May 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM
I have grown out pixie cuts twice. I have then trimmed until all the hair where the same length and came to a little below jaw length, then I just let it grow. However I think you will have less irritation if you let your hair get to one length first. Also you can save time if you go for bangs. With a pixie cut it is the hair in front that will reach your jaw the latest, but letting that stay short you can get to growing length much faster.

oktobergoud
June 1st, 2011, 02:39 AM
I'm growing out a pixiecut just now! I'm planning on trimming the mullet, since my goal is a bob, nothing longer. Eventually, when I'm sick of the bob, I want to go longer! I'll see what happens. But I want a bob first, so I will only cut the back :) (my mom used to be a hairdresser, very handy ;))

But it's a pain, isn't it?

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'm growing my hair out from a very short pixie cut (about one inch length all around) and I did it without trimming to even it out. I had my hair in ponytails a lot, two or one and used pins to keep back the shorter pieces.

But honestly if that's not something you want to do then you can periodically trim the back of your hair until you have an even bob. If I trimmed off my layers now (2 years after starting to grow out my pixie) I would have shoulder length hair, if that sounds ok to you then trim away! If not, then ponytails are your best friend.

Another tip I can give you is put some water in a spray bottle and mist your hair before trying to do an updo, it helps a LOT.

Good luck! :D

ifthemoonsmiled
June 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I've decided to just trim the pieces that remind me too strongly of a mullet, nothing more. It's hard! I get scissors-happy too. :S

I don't think this'll significantly affect how soon I'll be able to ponytail my hair. I did try to grow from pixie with no trims one time, hoping to get to the ponytail stage sooner, and...well, I got there, but that was the weirdest-looking little ponybit ever. My hair was still too uneven and scraggly to get it right, and I actually felt like the mullet look was enhanced, since the bottom hair would keep falling out. I do like the layers, though. All these replies have been so helpful for me in figuring out what I'm gonna do with my growing hair.

Toadstool
June 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Have you seen the super-shorties thread? This issue is often discussed there.

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm in the mullet stage too now for already a month and probably still 3 months, i refuse to cut it. Length is length, when you cut, you lose it.
I'll just live with it and rock the Beatles look and eventualy rock a bob sooner or later.
I think you should rather be creative then simply get rid of it.

HairFaerie
June 5th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'll just live with it and rock the Beatles look and eventually rock a bob sooner or later.

Hahahahaha! My oldest son just told me the other day that I looked like I could be a member of the Beatles! Too funny!

nazzooyzo
June 5th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hahahahaha! My oldest son just told me the other day that I looked like I could be a member of the Beatles! Too funny!
ha last month i saw my bfs friend for the first time in ages and he said "u don't look like Paul McCartney anymore!"

Kumiko033
June 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
ha last month i saw my bfs friend for the first time in ages and he said "u don't look like Paul McCartney anymore!"

Thank god I'm not alone, maybe we could form a reincarnation..tribute band of them!

Mairéad
June 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'm growing out a pixie. I've decided that once I get enough hair for a nice chin length cut is when I'll cut back some of the mess.

Until then I'm making things like headbands, scarves, and hats my best friend.

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I just let mine grow and refused to trim until it fitted in a pony. I did used to blow dry back then and a trick I used to do was to blowdry my hair upwards at the back and sides and then put a little I think it was called hair putty (not right nice feeling stuff but it did the trick!) on to keep it in place. Just stick with it, in a few months it will different again. Then once you reach shoulder just microtrim the ends and the layers will catch up, this is what i did. It took 2 years from shoulder to even up.

free_hug
June 6th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I did trim the back, and it did help :)

Nonetheless, 3 months into growing out a pixie - get all your patience together, for about the next 8-9 months!

That s when people will start saying "wow, your hair grew a lot" :)

Important next step for then: you will still have to somehow keep away from anything but a microtrim :/ of course it depends on the person, but decently growing out a pixie can be a really long journey.

rapunzhell13
June 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I've done it both ways and I much prefer to just let it grow out with minimal trims. I think it depends on hairtype and the mullet look is much more obvious on straight hair. I've got wavy hair and it doesn't look too bad when growing out. It's mostly just annoying not being able to put it up. So that's what I prefer, but I can totally understand why people feel the need to trim the back. :)