PDA

View Full Version : A hair geek going to see Wim Mertens! :)

SwordWomanRiona
May 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM
So. This past weekend me and my mum went to see the minimalist composer and musician Wim Mertens. He's one of our favourite musicians, and it was the first time we were going to see him live, so it was all very exciting :joy:(if you haven't heard about Wim Mertens, I really advise you to browse a bit through Youtube, because he's awesome!!).
But what has this to do with hair? Well, it seems that I am unable to keep my mind off my hair! This is what happened:
-We arrived a day earlier, so I had time to walk around the city, and, of course, I ended up searching for shops in which I could find hairtoys (I found a couple, but they didn't have anything I liked :().
-The morning before the concert, we found a 'natural medicine and cosmetics' shop and I literally run in to see if they had those hair-products I had been craving for so long: camellia oil/pure aloe vera gel/sweet almond oil. They didn't have any camellia oil (I honestly think I'm asking for mandrakes, to judge from the looks people give me :p), but they did have the aloe vera gel (for SMT's!!) and sweet almond oil. Yay! They had henna too, so I also spent some time thinking about my next mix, scheduled for Summer.
-More. At the hotel, I realized that the bathroom mirror was just perfect to take photos of my hair, because the lighting was far better than the orange one I have at home, and my hair showed reasonably and satisfactorily red! So I ended up taking shots of my hair when I was supposed to wash my teeth and such :rolleyes:.
-My hair-sighting was also acute those days, because I saw, among others, a Chinese woman at the bus station with straight tailbone-length hair; a little girl with light brown waist-length hair; a woman waiting, like us, for the concert to begin with one of the thickest healthiest hair I've ever seen outside LHC (bsl, I think, and her hemline was just awesome!!); and another woman at the concert with these lush red straight-wavy thick locks (not dissimilar to GRU's hair, without the curls!).
-And last. We arrived to find out the annual medieval fair was on at our city, so we strolled around, and I started bouncing when I saw that there was a stall full of hair forks and sticks :joy:. And I ended up buying a couple of lovely wooden hair-forks with spiral designs. The woman at the stall was very nice and she offered to try them in my hair and teach me how they worked (I hadn't used any forks before!). I bet you LHC folk would have loved that stall! :)

So, that's that, loong post. Lol, am I not a hair geek?! :D

SwordWomanRiona
June 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
:hmm: Hey, I know I ended up with a long post, but come on, people, I'm talking about hair!!
So, let's see, what can I do? :wail: / :patrol:...Erm, no, I know, I'll have to post a pic of the new hair-forks I'm talking about here to see if I can entice somebody :eyebrows:

Tuntenut
June 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a perfect hair-centric weekend. :) Isn't it just great when you have a chance to geek out like that? I'm going to a medieval fair next weekend, and I hope to be as lucky as you and find many, MANY pretty hair sticks.

Krentje
June 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a good couple of days! Finding hair sticks by surprise at a medieval stall.. that would be really cool and i am sure i wouldn't be able to resist either.. Could you send them over? :D

lapushka
June 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
You had fun, that much is obvious. :D :thumbsup:

Calaelen
June 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I had to check out your music rec, and the first thing I clicked on was "often a bird" it's goosebump inspiring magic!! So, Thanks for that!!! Do you have any favourites you could share with me??
It sounds like you had a great time :). I'd love to see the forks you got, if you can show them...Did you get lots of compliments on your wonderful mane?? I hope so, you deserve them!

kyandii
June 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM

This. Sounds like you had a blast!
:D

SwordWomanRiona
June 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a perfect hair-centric weekend. :) Isn't it just great when you have a chance to geek out like that? I'm going to a medieval fair next weekend, and I hope to be as lucky as you and find many, MANY pretty hair sticks.

Yep, it is! :D Hope you find a couple of stalls with hairtoys in your medieval fair as well! Last year I didn't find any, so I was thrilled when I saw a stall full of hairforks and hairsticks!!

Sounds like a good couple of days! Finding hair sticks by surprise at a medieval stall.. that would be really cool and i am sure i wouldn't be able to resist either.. Could you send them over? :D

Of course! Here are my new hairforks (my strategical tactic to lure LHC hairfork-fans into this thread, haha :p):
http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ph_Pzx7XDW3CwxWKLyP5MeV7FnoK1vsGqWE8o5vYCvjiMUQ_ P-KPFcR2H3RXANRVleP0Wkm6XdZfKd5tI1qRE4wcltuSvIIv7/100_2231.jpg?psid=1

And as everybody could expect, the first thing I did when I got home was to try them on and make pics (ah me!)
http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1plsgaaBpA3N4Nd4f9OB0GUV9mAa-AiZ3bolOGh012CJfsqdwFoxnzZBCl2i5twekBsOZkp2nHtVIEi CPHIMRSOMWG6zQTvQdx/100_2228.jpg?psid=1

SwordWomanRiona
June 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM

This. Sounds like you had a blast!
:D

Just imagine: going to see my favourite musician live + many many hair-geek opportunities!! Enough to make me jump up and down! :joy:

SwordWomanRiona
June 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I had to check out your music rec, and the first thing I clicked on was "often a bird" it's goosebump inspiring magic!! So, Thanks for that!!! Do you have any favourites you could share with me??
It sounds like you had a great time :). I'd love to see the forks you got, if you can show them...Did you get lots of compliments on your wonderful mane?? I hope so, you deserve them!

You're very welcome, it's great you liked Wim Mertens' music!! I have loads of favourites, but some of them are:
'Struggle for Pleasure' [definitely, I think it's my favourite. If 'Often a Bird' is 'goosebump inspiring magic' (and I agree!!), hold on for this one!] , 'Z's Rival' , 'Indexed by the Arche-Fossil' , 'Maximizing the Audience' , 'The Fosse' , 'Wound to Wound' , 'Their Duet', 'The Paths Not Taken' ... There are just too many of them! I also love everything in his albums Stratégie de la Rupture and Epic That Never Was. And his last albums Zee Versus Zed and Series of Ands are so beautiful too.
There are a lot of nice videos in youtube. Look out for the What You See is What You Hear videos, they're awesome live renditions with Wim Mertens and his ensemble :D.
For example, this is the Struggle for Pleasure one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf140TfF1DI

And wow, thanks for your great compliment on my 'mane'! The stall keeper did comment of my hair, she asked if it was long enough to sit on :p