PDA

View Full Version : Mystery broken hairs solved!

mellie
March 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
So lately, I've been noticing lots of broken hairs in the front of my face, kind of forming its own "fringe/bangs" in a terrible, pathetic way. I was mystified as to the cause of these broken hairs. None of my other hair was broken off, just in front of my face!

Finally, after a weeks of research, I realized what it was! It was my eyeglasses, which I'd been starting to wear more often. My hair was getting stuck in the joint of the eyeglass frame, and every day, a few more hairs would get broken off.

Mystery solved!! Now, how to fix it?:rolleyes:

harley mama
March 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have noticed that my hair tends to hang on my glasses when I am taking them off. I try to be careful and push my hair back but sometimes I get in a hurry and yank them off and loose a few hairs in the process!

Raederle
March 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Last time I replaced my frames, one of the major selling points of the frame I selected was that it bows out a bit, so it's further away from my hair. Now that you're aware of it, you'll just have to consciously be sure your hair is out of the way when manipulating your glasses. If they're reading glasses, this will call for a lot more attention than if you're nearsighted, like me. Once I put them on, they stay on, KWIM?

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
EEK! I hate when that happens! This happens to some pairs of sunglasses too. It has happened to me with almost every pair of glasses I have ever had occasionally. I wear contact lenses but I wear reading glasses over them and a different pair of driving glasses over them for when I need them too. I have special eyes :) Anyway I have learned also to be VERY careful when taking them off but sometimes no matter what I still get it caught. I hate those rubber covers they are putting on sunglass earpieces now too. They catch on my hair too. :taz:

jel
March 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Now, how to fix it?:rolleyes:

Contact lenses! :D

Alternatively, make sure your hair is pulled back from your face when you wear glasses...

Kirin
March 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have contacts and glasses, and when i wear my glasses, yes, my side fringe used to get caught in the screw joint corner.

I came up with a fix for this, it'll sound weird, it really works. Dental wax. Its usually in the toothcare section of drug stores, used for people with braces, to put a bit of this wax on the metal parts so it doesnt irritate cheeks and tongues. You just use a little bit on the seam/screw. Its not permanent, but if you dont fold up your glasses, a little bit can last a week or more on it. Its pretty cheap too.

PseudoScot
March 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have contacts and glasses, and when i wear my glasses, yes, my side fringe used to get caught in the screw joint corner.

I came up with a fix for this, it'll sound weird, it really works. Dental wax. Its usually in the toothcare section of drug stores, used for people with braces, to put a bit of this wax on the metal parts so it doesnt irritate cheeks and tongues. You just use a little bit on the seam/screw. Its not permanent, but if you dont fold up your glasses, a little bit can last a week or more on it. Its pretty cheap too.

That's a really good idea! I'd totally forgotten about that stuff, I had to use it as a kid when I had braces. Yuck!!

I had a pair of glasses that always caught my hair no matter what I did. I got in the habit of sliding my finger between the temple piece part of the frame and my face. I would slide my finger back and sort of unhook my glasses - kind of like how they'd do it when they had the really round/curly type of glasses frames that hooked over the ear back in the day.

Once I got used to doing that it doesn't look nearly as stupid as it sounds. But I'm primarily a contact wearer so I guess I luck out there...

[Don't be afraid to take them back to the glasses people, especially if they are new - it could be the screw is extra rough or not flush with the temple piece as it should be]

Neon Gloss
March 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ah, yes. This happened to me so much, that I just chopped myself some blunt bangs that sat above my glasses. I'm growing them out now that I have glasses that my hair doesn't latch on to.

Wear headbands, cute hair clips, and don't forget the ultimate miracle of updos.

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM
hmmm my glasses (only wear for night driving and distance) never get caught on my hair... are yours wire frame?mine are plastic frame.

sweetkandi
March 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I use to wear my glasses all the time, and this did happen to me. But now I wear contacts. Problem solved. :) When i do wear my glasses, its just at night before bed, or when I wake up in the morning on weekends. So I dont really worry about them getting caught anymore. They usually arent on my face long enoungh.

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Updos. I usually only wear my glasses when I leave my house, and I don't have that problem when my hair is in an updo.

thetokenlady
March 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
As a lifelong glasses wearer all I can say is...ya just gotta be careful. Some glasses seem to be worse than others. I find I have more trouble with plastic frames, probably because the hinges are bigger. My current pair doesn't catch at all, at least in the hinge part.

A bigger problem for me is the nose pieces. I tend to put my glasses up on top of my head and the wire nose pads slide right under my top hair. If my hair is up (most of the time) I can't even just slide it out. I have to painstakingly detangle. I'm trying to get out of that habit.

hazelceleste
March 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I work in an eyeglass shop, and people come in with that problem all the time. When's the last time you had your glasses readjusted? If the arms of your glasses are too loose (as in, stretched too wide for your face), the joint will snag hairs.

If I were you, I'd go to an eyeglass shop and ask them to tighten the arms. Most places do it free, and it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.

mellie
March 14th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Great tips everyone, thank you! :-)

jojo
March 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
So lately, I've been noticing lots of broken hairs in the front of my face, kind of forming its own "fringe/bangs" in a terrible, pathetic way. I was mystified as to the cause of these broken hairs. None of my other hair was broken off, just in front of my face!

Finally, after a weeks of research, I realized what it was! It was my eyeglasses, which I'd been starting to wear more often. My hair was getting stuck in the joint of the eyeglass frame, and every day, a few more hairs would get broken off.

Mystery solved!! Now, how to fix it?:rolleyes:

you have solved a mystery for me too, about 2 months ago i had to start wearing my glasses all the time and funnily enough i too noticed breakage at the front.

Maybe, taking them off in a downward action will help? i am forever pushing mine up and i take them off upwards and contacts are no good for me as i have astigmatism and the toric lenses irritate me.

itslex71
March 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Lasik? My husband is thrilled to be glasses and contacts free.