PDA

View Full Version : Are all coconut oils the same??

vintage88
May 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM
I'm just looking at coconut oils online (never bought any before) and there are loads of different ones. Are they all pretty much the same or are there any you would recommend? Any advice would be appreciated:)

krissykins
May 31st, 2011, 08:40 AM
Virgin coconut oil is different than refined coconut oil. I'm not remembering the specifics right now, but refined is supposed to withstand high heat temperatures? Or something like that. I don't feel qualified to answer this question right now haha.

A lot of members have better luck with virgin coconut oil. It also smells like coconut, unlike some refined coconut oils, which just smell like refined cooking oil. Virgin coconut oil tastes better, too, IMHO :p

In2wishin
May 31st, 2011, 09:15 AM
There are 3 different types of coconut oil, usually referred to as 76 degree, 92 degree, and fractionated.

The 92 degree is partially hydrogenated so it melts at a higher temp (92 degrees - go figure :D ).

Fractionated has gone through a process which removes much of the lauric acid (the good stuff for hair)

The 76 degree is the most common and the best for hair. It can be found either refined, unrefined, or virgin. You will find members here who use any of those three. The main difference with the refined is that it does not have any smell. The unrefined and virgin smell like coconuts.

Check the label. If it says fractionated or partially hydrogenated you don't want it for general use. The labels rarely use the "degree" so you do have to check the ingredients. Also, there are many coconut hair oils or treatments that have coconut oil in them but also have other things.

DTsgirl
May 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
As long as it is non-fractionated 100% coconut oil, you'll be good to go. Your end results will ultimately be the same whether it it unrefined, refined or virgin. Only the scent will vary. I use LouAnn brand from the grocery store; $6 a big jar. Just make sure it is 100% oil. Some stuff says it's a coconut oil treatment and has other junk it it.

Firefly
May 31st, 2011, 06:42 PM
My personal experience with coconut oil is that the refined oil would build up and leave me with crunchy hair. The unrefined oil doesn't do this. I can (and often do) heavily oil with the stuff w/no negative effects. I also LOVE the smell!

Kaijah
May 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM
IMHO the best stuff is generally going to be the unrefined "virgin" coconut oil. The refined stuff isn't necessarily bad, but some companies will remove most or all of the lauric acid (that's the good, straight chain fatty acid that penetrates most easily into the hair cortex) because they can sell it for more money than they'd get for the "virgin" coconut oil.