PDA

View Full Version : Bun waves - those pesky ends...

julliams
May 31st, 2011, 02:46 AM
My hair is about an inch and a half past waist now and I'm finding that my once foolproof damp bunning is producing weirdo ends that stick out at odd angles.

My technique is that I gather it into a ponytail (off the middle of the back of my head) and twist clockwise into a bun. As it tapers out, I keep twisting and tuck the end around the inside kind of like a bee butt bun. I use either a hair stick, hair scroos or a hair elastic and it doesn't make any difference - weird ends.

Anyone got their own foolproof bun waves technique that I can learn from?

And before anyone suggest I clarify - I do that somewhat regularly so I don't think this is the problem. Plus I use a leave in so I really think it's my technique that's not working for me.

Sundial
May 31st, 2011, 05:33 AM
I have no idea what caused it suddenly for you, but I have never been able to damp bun because I get those weird kinked ends. I can't even use rollers when my hair is wet :confused:

ETA: I just realized that I might have misunderstood what you meant! Did you mean ends that stick out all over the place or frizzy kinked ends? If you have issues with ends that stick out all over, why don't you try out the Gibraltar bun? It involves pulling the inner coil over the rest of the bun so those pesky ends will be coverd

serious
May 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Have you tried fully rolled sock bun, it gives me nice waves and makes my ends looking pretty good.( way better then in my sig pic :))

Kristamommyx3
May 31st, 2011, 06:26 AM
The trick to not getting kinks with rollers is taking special care not to let your ends bend over on itsself when you wrap more hair around it. You might need to resmooth more than once. If you still find yourself with a few kinks, wrap the ends tightly around your pointer finger for 30 seconds or so. Hope this helps, it works for me.:p

I have no idea what caused it suddenly for you, but I have never been able to damp bun because I get those weird kinked ends. I can't even use rollers when my hair is wet :confused:

ETA: I just realized that I might have misunderstood what you meant! Did you mean ends that stick out all over the place or frizzy kinked ends? If you have issues with ends that stick out all over, why don't you try out the Gibraltar bun? It involves pulling the inner coil over the rest of the bun so those pesky ends will be coverd

Kristamommyx3
May 31st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Tricky...I hope someone knows the answer! I have been getting kinks at the ends from my buns lately. Frustrating.

My hair is about an inch and a half past waist now and I'm finding that my once foolproof damp bunning is producing weirdo ends that stick out at odd angles.

My technique is that I gather it into a ponytail (off the middle of the back of my head) and twist clockwise into a bun. As it tapers out, I keep twisting and tuck the end around the inside kind of like a bee butt bun. I use either a hair stick, hair scroos or a hair elastic and it doesn't make any difference - weird ends.

Anyone got their own foolproof bun waves technique that I can learn from?

And before anyone suggest I clarify - I do that somewhat regularly so I don't think this is the problem. Plus I use a leave in so I really think it's my technique that's not working for me.

|Xei
May 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
Maybe you can wrap something, like a ribbon or tissue paper, over the ends of your hair before tucking it into the bun? Kind of like when perming, paper is placed over the ends of the hair to keep them smooth in the rolling process.

You could also try to just wrap the hair around the base of the bun without any twisting, and it might prevent the crazy ends. In fact, this is what I do because my ends tend to go nuts when I twist them before putting them into a bun.

julliams
May 31st, 2011, 06:43 AM
Maybe you can wrap something, like a ribbon or tissue paper, over the ends of your hair before tucking it into the bun? Kind of like when perming, paper is placed over the ends of the hair to keep them smooth in the rolling process.

You could also try to just wrap the hair around the base of the bun without any twisting, and it might prevent the crazy ends. In fact, this is what I do because my ends tend to go nuts when I twist them before putting them into a bun.

I've been thinking that this is the key. It could be something so simple - like my ends don't like being twisted at all.