PDA

View Full Version : Hair buddy?

BlazingHeart
May 30th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I was hoping to find someone else whose hair and scalp were like mine so I could ask them what was working for them, but after poking around for a few days, I don't seem to be finding anyone else like me!

I am not sure whether I am 1C or 2A - definitely at the border. My hair varies from fine at the crown and front to medium for most of my hair to coarse at the nape of my neck/rear hairline. The color changes too, from dark blonde to medium brown with hints of red to red-brown, with the color changes matching the texture changes (not sure if that's relevant). I have issues with itchy, flaking scalp and a bit of oiliness, and I haven't figured out why yet, but I suspect a mild case of seborrheic dermatitis. I usually do best with things designed for average on the dry-to-oily scale.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to find someone else enough like me to get some more ideas on what might work well for my hair and my scalp. Right now, it feels like I can only please one or the other.

Thanks,
~Blaze

BlazingHeart
June 1st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Bump - still looking for someone whose hair and/or scalp (preferably both!) are like mine.

Nipushiau
June 1st, 2011, 02:10 AM
Mine isn't exactly like yours, but I've also had trouble with oiliness combined with flakes. Mine is pretty much fine all over with a little thickness back side to neck with color shifting from dark blond to dark brown with red and gold highlights. What helps for me, believe it or not, was going water only with gelatin mixed with water every 2-3 days. For a while, I was also doing henna once a week to remove excess oil. At first it feels like you've dumped a bottle of oil on your head, but the flakiness isn't so bad and it doesn't feel as heavy after about 6-8 weeks while the scalp readjusts oil production. Don't know if this helps...

BlazingHeart
June 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yay, a reply!

It does help. If changing to a shampoo bar doesn't help, I may try henna. I've wanted more red in my hair for a long time anyhow, so it's not like I'll mind a bit of a color change.

~Blaze

owlathena
June 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
Mine's not like yours, but I like the idea of a "hair buddy." I want one!

Ulvashi
June 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I want one toooooo.....in fact i want a hair guru cuz i m always full of questions and confusion :/....

Sorry i m not your hair buddy either.....but i did have itchy dandruffy scalp....I have tried vinegar, oiling,henna etc but they all were very time consuming and didnt work too well so instead I used anti dandruff shampoo for it (Clear Soft Care) and it cleaned the dandruff completely....the shampoo didnt dry my hairs but made my hair very flat on the top probably due to silicones......anyway i stoped using it and now slowly my dandruff is coming back :(....

ladyfey
June 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM
My scalp is like yours! I shampoo (CWC) every other day and every other time I use Nizoral as the shampoo. The other times I use a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar (Chamomile and Citrus or something like that) The Nizoral really helps me, I used it every wash for the first 6 weeks that I used it, then settled down to my currant schedule.

Scarlet_Heart
June 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well your second classification is blank, but I am also 1c/2a and iii.

bella77
June 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
even though my hair type differs from yours, my scalp is the same. I have seborrheic dermatitis and have had it since I was about 14 years old. Unfortunately the only thing that worked for me is a prescription. I do find however that time in the sun helps a lot with the flakiness and scabbies that come with the territory. I do hope you find some relief- I have tried everything known to help, sadly nothing worked for me, so better luck to you!!

lapushka
June 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Your scalp sounds like mine. I have Nizoral (2%) shampoo, in case my scalp should act up and decide to flake, itch. There's a SD thread around that you might want to check out.

BlazingHeart
June 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Wow, suddenly a bunch of responses! Cool!

Scarlet, my 2nd classification is blank because I have all 3 types - fine around my face and at the very top of the canopy, medium for most of my hair, coarse in the underlayers near the nape and rear hairline.

I had been trying a dandruff shampoo in the Garnier Fructis line, but it didn't seem to be making any difference, which is part of why I was wondering if I really had dandruff.

Well, I gave myself an extra-thorough wash last night with my shampoo bar (an old Lush Blonde bar, which means it has SLS), and I'm beginning to think it's the SLS, because today I have massive flakage and severe itching. I have a sample of a CV bar coming my way, so I'm going to put off washing again until that gets here so I can see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, I'm going to ask for help, because this is miserable!

If switching away from sulfates doesn't help, I may have to get myself some Nizoral.

~Blaze

luthein
June 2nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm a 2a, as well. I also have flakiness after showering, and spotty oiliness (mostly around my temples and bangs.) I've backed away from harsher shampoos which lessened the oil and extended my washing routine by 1 day. I'm still looking for some flake alleviation. I tried cassia, which wiped out the flakes, but I did not enjoy the process and end result. I'll keep checking in on this thread, hair buds!

Scarlet_Heart
June 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Well, henna has done wonders for my flakes. I would assume cassia would do the same if you don't want the red color?