PDA

View Full Version : fish oil & biotin

QueenJoey
May 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I've heard that both of these will speed up the hair growth process. Is that so? Does anyone here use either of those, and do they really help? And wouldn't it make you grow hair EVERYWHERE? I mean, I'd love to have long hair, but just on my head. It's not worth looking like a woolly mammoth. If that's the case, I'll just let my hair grow at it's naturally very slow pace. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

Annibelle
May 30th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I've never tried either, but be careful with biotin-- I was gonna try it, but then read about people having organ failure, etc, from it!!! It seems to be a small percentage of people, but not worth it for me!

racrane
May 31st, 2011, 12:02 AM
I don't know much about it, but honestly, I feel the best way to go about things for me is to just let my hair be. It's happier when I don't fuss with it. I know some others have great success, but you're right, some things don't work for everyone. :)

gthlvrmx
May 31st, 2011, 12:10 AM
Biotin doesn't work for everyone, several people have reported reactions on their bodies (or internally) that they were not looking for. The common one is acne. Thankfully, it has worked fine on me, nothing really super drastic, but my growth rate has increased and my shed rate has decreased. I will be off of it though for a good amount of time after my bottle is out, i do not want any kidney problems or renal problems.

GourmetChica
May 31st, 2011, 01:36 AM
Re: biotin, it gave me horrible acne at big doses, now I just stick with the small amount that is in my multi. Biosil works really well for hair growth w no bad side effects, but yes, it will be hair all over!

Night_Kitten
May 31st, 2011, 03:13 AM
I've been taking biotin for about half a year, I had no bad reactions to biotin, but no spectacular results either - I shed less, but my growth rate hasen't changed.
I'm not sure if I'll buy another bottle once the current one runs out...

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2011, 03:43 AM
I have started biotin in a skin, hair and nails supplement (it also contains a high amount of zinc, which may compensate for any acne caused by biotin). It seems to have helped my nails more than my hair, but that may just be because nails are more obvious!

Captain Nikki
May 31st, 2011, 04:29 AM
I've been taking fish oil capsules for over 3 years. I still have the slowest growing hair in Australia!

Dragon
May 31st, 2011, 04:55 AM
I’ve heard it only helps if you were low in those.

furnival
May 31st, 2011, 05:54 AM
A deficiency of certain nutrients can lead to slow growth and shedding. This doesn't mean that taking large amounts of them will have the opposite effect. A healthy diet and regular exercise is a good way to optimise your hair growth, unless you're suffering from a nutritional deficiency, in which case you should consult your doctor.

Chetanlaiho
May 31st, 2011, 08:20 AM
I take both (well the fish oil is included in my prenatal vids that I take for my hair) but from what I know it's actually the horsetail supplement I take that also makes your body hair grow faster :/ (thinking about quitting it for that reason)

Be very careful about biotin, there's an excellent article on it here: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html I take 500mcg a day which seems to be an 'acceptable' overdose, but some people take 5000mcg which just doesn't sound completely healthy to me :/

cheetahfast
May 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
I've never tried either, but my co worker used to take biotin and it made her get cystic acne. Right when she stopped taking it, it went away.

Madora
May 31st, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think if you take the biotin in small dosages, you won't have the problem with the acne appearing.

I've only been taking fish oil lozenges for a short time so can't speak to that.

These supplements take TIME to work...it will probably be at least 4 to 5 months before you see a real improvement. Some people see improvement, some don't.

The supplements affect your entire system...all hair on your torso...but remember that the various hairs on your body all grow at different rates.

Other things that help stimulate growth:

brushing daily, with a natural boar bristle brush. Give those follicles a workout! Start slowly with 10 strokes a day, then work up to 50 strokes in 3 or 4 weeks. Always detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before beginning to brush!

Or try a relaxing hair massage, using the PADS of your fingertips!

Your hair growth - and ability to grow it long - are determined by your genes.

Ashenputtel
May 31st, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not a big fan of supplement. Why don't you eat fish twice a week instead? (Be carefull with tuna and other big fishes it contains mercury).

gogirlanime
May 31st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there are any phytonutrient components to fish oil to make your hair grow FASTER, but it does make your hair softer, shiner, and stronger. Biotin on the other hand will make your hair grow slightly faster.