PDA

View Full Version : Things that can effect hair growth

BeccaAngel
May 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I always wanted to know, does smoking or being around cigarette smoke effect hair growth? i heard it slows it down but I'm not sure... I don't smoke, I'm just curious.:)

HairFaerie
May 30th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I do smoke and I would dearly love to quit. I know it sounds horrible, but I am more interested in stopping because of how smoking affects hair & skin and the whole premature aging thing!

Yes, I do believe smoking affects hair growth and health. It has something to do with oxygen and capillaries although I do not know all of the scientific specifics.

I would think if you have a member of your family in the house that smokes, secondhand smoke wouldn't be good either but not as bad as if you were the one smoking. If you are exposed to it only rarely, I would say the only side effect would be the lingering smell in your hair but shouldn't cause much long term problems.

spike316
May 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Though I'm not sure how much secondary smoke affects it, I know that niccotene constructs the blood flow to extremities which includes the head and scalp. I always try to remind my clients not to smoke post massage because it limits your body's ability to flush out all those toxins. Caffeine works similarity, although I'm not really sure which is worse when it comes to strictly affecting hair growth.

TheMechaGinger
May 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I know that smoking definitely really limits oxygen to not just your hair but to your other organs as well. It's just bad all around for your appearance and your health

caiti42
May 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM
When I stopped smoking the condition of my hair and skin drastically improved. My skin is so clear I don't even need to wear foundation anymore :)

As for my hair I can't guarantee that it's growing more but it's definately healthier, shinier and smells soooo much better!

Chetanlaiho
May 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure if it directly affects hair growth but smoke definitely does a number on the length of my hair :/ it becomes dry and super tangly in no time if exposed to a smoky environment. Since DBF smokes I've been trying to find ways to protect my hair from the smoke but my hair feels terrible everytime I've visited him none the less :/

I do believe it affects the health of your hair growth also since your diet is pretty much reflected in your hair (for as far as I know, but I'm far from an expert).

Madora
May 31st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Please, anyone who smokes, don't! Your lungs are far more important than your hair!

Yes, you've heard all the horror stories...ad nauseum..from everywhere.

I know 2nd hand how horrible it can be. My godmother smoked 3 packs a day for years. She died horribly, lingeringly..unable to do just about anything..but die. There is nothing so horrible as watching a loved one die so slowly, knowing there is nothing you can do to make her more comfortable...except greater and greater dosages of morphine and other pain killers. Why put your loved ones through such torture?

Second hand smoke kills just as effectively. Smoking is not "cool" or "hip". Smoking kills, plain and simple!

Fufu
May 31st, 2011, 07:58 AM
I heard alcohol affects skin and hair.

racrane
May 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
I know my mom's father (I never call him grandfather because he died when she was in her teens) died primarily of alcoholism, but his smoking did a number on his four children. She said when the smoke went away, her sisters and her hair improved dramatically and it was secondhand. I don't know much more other than that, but I believe it.

gogirlanime
May 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
I say yes and no, smoking is going to affect you health over all, including your hair. But then I look at my mother and she has SUPER thick hair that grows really fast and long and she smokes about 5-6 cigs a day. Yet my hair is fine, it sheds a lot, and doesn't get too long without me taking really really good care of it. Sometimes you just need the gene and that's it.

Dragon
June 1st, 2011, 04:11 AM
I'm not sure if it affects hair growth but I have herd it can make you go gray earlier in life.

Melanie Marie
June 1st, 2011, 04:45 AM
If your overall health is not good, then your hair will most likely not grow as much. That means considering how much you exercise, what sort of food and drink you put into your body (there are studies that show that milk is actually bad for you!), and your living environment. Stress can cause your hair not only to grow slowly, but to fall out! shudder:

I say that smoking is just overall bad for you, plain and simple. There are no benefits whatsoever, it is damaging to your whole body and it kills you painfully and slowly.

Kyaatje
June 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM
I didn't notice a change in my hair since I quit smoking (now some 4 years ago) and I did use to smoke a pack a day .... I do feel better without them though !
Stopping isn't easy, but it is well worth it !
The reason to stop isn't important, that it is important to you ... that is what counts !

ifthemoonsmiled
June 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I quit smoking at the beginning of this year. I have noticed a slight increase in my growth rate, especially after a couple months of being cigarette-free. Mostly, though, I've noticed a huge improvement in the condition of my hair & skin.

As someone else said, cigarette smoke restricts how much oxygen you're taking in, so everything suffers. I also think it doesn't hurt that I'm getting so much more exercise now that I don't get winded & tired as easily.