PDA

View Full Version : Mid-back to knees

QueenJoey
May 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
This is to all you incredibly amazing people who have knee-length hair (although you may have been asked this a million times and are ready to kill me through your computer:

I have mid-back, almost waist length hair. It's been very long since my hair has even been this long (almost 10 years!), but I'm still not satisfied. I know it may be impossible for me, but I'd so very much love to have knee-length hair. I also want it to be healthy, for I hate seeing long, yet stringy and dry hair (for what's the point of having such long hair if it's neglected and unhealthy?)

So I've decided to come to the experts: the people of LHC who have beat me to the finish line of the knee-length hair "race". If anyone would know how to care for long hair, it's you. Can you help me out?

How long did it take you to reach this length? How long was your hair when you officially started growing?

Did you use anything to speed up the process?

What are some hair care regimens that you would swear by?

What products do you use?

I know that many people have already asked this of, and I've read almost all of them, but I had some more questions of my own. I want to know as much as I can so I can get to that finish line, too:o

QueenJoey
May 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Aww, no one?!

Dogmatix
May 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Today's a holiday in the U.S. so I'm sure many people are out BBQing, etc. Forums can move slowly so don't expect an answer right away :)

Seeshami
May 30th, 2011, 09:57 PM
One of the things I have read a little about and am going to try is the 2% monistat. I am currently sitting here counting down my last four minutes till it's time to mermaid henna out of my hair so I can easily track my growth with tell tail roots.

lindaton
May 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have knee length hair. This is my 2nd time at this length. I do believe it has a lot to do with genes. My hair is very thick and does grow pretty fast. I have had it 'cut' several times between midback and knee so its hard to tell how long it took to get to this point. I am 55 and I do color now so I can definitely see my growth not only at the roots but the length too. I was going to maintain at knee and try to thicken my hemline but think I will just do another trim and go on. What has always worked for me is cones. I do not S&D, Just dont understand it. I have never had to pamper my hair. I can tell that after joining here a couple yrs ago and learning buns that has helped my hemline and my hair has thickened-not that I needed it.

So I say a good conditioner/detangler, protect your hair, and trims to keep the hemline thick.

Linda

sweetestpoison
May 30th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I am mid back length like you and growing! I noticed a lot of growth this past year because of my diet, i've been eating really well and just keeping it up as much as possible. I know this doesn't help answer your questions about knee-length but it might help with growing faster, who knows n_n

Phexlyn
May 31st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Remember that what works for people with knee-length hair might not work for your midback-length hair. My routine has to be continually adjusted to what my hair currently needs, and this might change with gaining more length. I'm not doing the same things that I used to do at BSL, and I'm quite sure I'd do some things differently if I was at knee length right now. ;)

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the replies from those who actually are at knee-length.

Madora
May 31st, 2011, 07:22 AM
@QueenJoey...

Lindaton is right. Hair genes determine the type of hair, and how long it will ultimately grow.

Whether you have mid back hair or hair to your knees, how you care for it will determine your ultimate success in reaching your goal of knee.

Now I've never reached that wonderful goal (the longest I reached was 47 inches back in the 90s).

Long hair is achieved through careful attention to:

1) The right shampoo and conditioner (I've been using the George Michael pink shampoo and conditioner for decades)
2) Brushing with a natural boar bristle brush every day
3) Brushing correctly
4) Using a wide tooth comb to detangle. If you find a snarl/matt, use your fingers, not the comb, to untangle it
5) Not washing the dickens out of your hair! Every time you shampoo your hair you remove the natural oil in your hair.
6) Shampooing gently..no SCRUBBING!
7) Air drying! No blow fryers!

8) Giving the ends of your hair minute trims as it needs it
9) Wearing updos to protect the fragile ends. The ends become increasingly fragile the longer your hair becomes
10) Never, ever, brush wet/damp hair!
11) Avoid hair ties with metal, or metal barrettes with sharp edges
12) Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise moderately
13) Wear a WHITE hat or scarf when in the sun in summer
14) In winter, wrap your hair around your neck, like a scarf, and keep it under your coat or jacket
15) Always detangle FIRST before brushing. Use a widetooth
comb and start at the ends of the hair and gently work up the strands to the scalp.
16) Look into vitamin supplements to assist in growth.
17) Hair massage is also beneficial
18) Avoid all chemical processes! No dyeing/tinting
19) EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) treatments are wonderful for providing slip and luster to your tresses. Easy to do!

Remember..you hair will not grow any faster than nature intended. Some people's hair grows fast..others slower.

Above all, have patience! Beautiful, healthy knee length hair is a major achievement in my book!

Also, to avoid the dreaded "bored with my hair" syndrome, learn how to style your hair! Start now, while the hair is shorter and easier to handle. You'll find out that extra long hair can be a challenge to work with! The secret of creating updos is how you section your hair. Long hair should be sectioned in order to be able to wear it comfortably all day. You want your scalp to feel comfortable with all that hair. You don't want the problems with "this hair is hurting my head..or this "hair is too heavy for my head". Both are sure turn offs if you want to enjoy your hair and feel comfortable doing it! Wearing it down - once in a while is fine BUT realize that you'll have to be extra careful of snarls..and being careful how you sit, etc. To say nothing of visiting the WC!

Good luck!

Teazel
May 31st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I'm falling asleep at the computer, but I'll try to answer your questions before I stagger off to bed....

How long did it take you to reach this length? How long was your hair when you officially started growing? Unknown. My hair was almost tailbone (I think) when I joined LHC, then I grew to classic and stayed there a few years before growing further... and there have been trims to thicken the hem. So... yeah. Impossible to say how long it takes.

Did you use anything to speed up the process? No.

What are some hair care regimens that you would swear by? Benign neglect. That is: find out what works to keep your hair healthy, do that and otherwise leave it alone.

What products do you use? Alberto Balsam (aka V05) products, especially Strawberries and Cream conditioner and Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying shampoo; honey; aloe vera; ACV; almond oil.

You can read more in my profile about my routine. Hope that helps, and good luck with your hair journey. It'll take a very long time, so be patient and enjoy all the steps along the way. :flower:

Panth
June 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
@QueenJoey...

Lindaton is right. Hair genes determine the type of hair, and how long it will ultimately grow.

Whether you have mid back hair or hair to your knees, how you care for it will determine your ultimate success in reaching your goal of knee.

Now I've never reached that wonderful goal (the longest I reached was 47 inches back in the 90s).

Long hair is achieved through careful attention to:

1) The right shampoo and conditioner (I've been using the George Michael pink shampoo and conditioner for decades)
2) Brushing with a natural boar bristle brush every day
3) Brushing correctly
4) Using a wide tooth comb to detangle. If you find a snarl/matt, use your fingers, not the comb, to untangle it
5) Not washing the dickens out of your hair! Every time you shampoo your hair you remove the natural oil in your hair.
6) Shampooing gently..no SCRUBBING!
7) Air drying! No blow fryers!

8) Giving the ends of your hair minute trims as it needs it
9) Wearing updos to protect the fragile ends. The ends become increasingly fragile the longer your hair becomes
10) Never, ever, brush wet/damp hair!
11) Avoid hair ties with metal, or metal barrettes with sharp edges
12) Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise moderately
13) Wear a WHITE hat or scarf when in the sun in summer
14) In winter, wrap your hair around your neck, like a scarf, and keep it under your coat or jacket
15) Always detangle FIRST before brushing. Use a widetooth
comb and start at the ends of the hair and gently work up the strands to the scalp.
16) Look into vitamin supplements to assist in growth.
17) Hair massage is also beneficial
18) Avoid all chemical processes! No dyeing/tinting
19) EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) treatments are wonderful for providing slip and luster to your tresses. Easy to do!

Remember..you hair will not grow any faster than nature intended. Some people's hair grows fast..others slower.

Above all, have patience! Beautiful, healthy knee length hair is a major achievement in my book!

Also, to avoid the dreaded "bored with my hair" syndrome, learn how to style your hair! Start now, while the hair is shorter and easier to handle. You'll find out that extra long hair can be a challenge to work with! The secret of creating updos is how you section your hair. Long hair should be sectioned in order to be able to wear it comfortably all day. You want your scalp to feel comfortable with all that hair. You don't want the problems with "this hair is hurting my head..or this "hair is too heavy for my head". Both are sure turn offs if you want to enjoy your hair and feel comfortable doing it! Wearing it down - once in a while is fine BUT realize that you'll have to be extra careful of snarls..and being careful how you sit, etc. To say nothing of visiting the WC!

Good luck!

Hmmm... my hair is almost to the middle of my thighs, and I (and many others of the classic+ lot here) don't follow loads of those instructions... The main ones being that BBBs do nothing for my hair except generate splits and cause it to poof into the biggest world-eating static mass I've ever seen. I don't bother with a hat/scarf in the summer, I don't bother with vitamins (IMO they only help if you aren't getting enough through the diet), I don't bother with "hair massage". Also, I always comb when wet. But, lookit! My hair is still growing and (so people tell me) nice-looking!

So, really, I think that to get classic+ hair the only thing to do is to be patient and to listen to what your hair is telling you. If your growth stalls or you see masses of splits, or dryness or greasies or frizz or whatever, then try to improve your routine (e.g. more updos, more moisturising treatments, gentler handling). However, depending on your hair type it can take a surprising amount of abuse. Patience, then, is the major thing you need. :)