PDA

View Full Version : What does anyone use for detangling that doesn't have cones?

hnyc
May 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've gone cone-free but it's only been a couple of weeks. My hair is doing OK but I haven't found anything yet that works as a good detangler. does anyone have any suggestions or could share what they use?

dazeydayze
May 30th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I would try any kind of light oil on the ends while your hair is still wet. Then just comb it out with your fingers. :)

Loreley
May 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Yup, oils are the best. I love coconut oil. :crush:
It's funny, but my hair is much more tangly when I use cones. :confused:

krissykins
May 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I use the Tangle Teezer because it gets tangles out very well.

As for product, I also have to say that oil is helpful. :)

monsterna
May 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to know whether you are attempting to go no cones because you think your hair might respond well to it or are you doing it because you think cones are inherently bad? Because if it is the latter, cones aren't something evil to be avoided by everyone. I and loads of people here love cones and couldn't go without them. Just wanted to throw that in there!

hnyc
May 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to know whether you are attempting to go no cones because you think your hair might respond well to it or are you doing it because you think cones are inherently bad? Because if it is the latter, cones aren't something evil to be avoided by everyone. I and loads of people here love cones and couldn't go without them. Just wanted to throw that in there!
I was trying to eliminate cones to see if my hair responds to it. I have really damaged, dry, chemically treated hair, have always used cones but my hair is just breaking off like mad around the crown. Now my bsl hair looks so thin at the ends :( I wanted to try more natural ingredients and see if that helps, but if it doesn't i'm not opposed to going back to cones.

I've tried the oil on wet hair but the comb gets stuck still, I think my hair is just too damaged. arggggg

krissykins
May 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM
A trim might help if it really is that damaged. If you don't want to lose length, maybe try search and destroy?

*Rose Red*
May 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I like the detangler and shine spray of Aubrey Organics, it works very good for me!

monsterna
May 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I was trying to eliminate cones to see if my hair responds to it. I have really damaged, dry, chemically treated hair, have always used cones but my hair is just breaking off like mad around the crown. Now my bsl hair looks so thin at the ends :( I wanted to try more natural ingredients and see if that helps, but if it doesn't i'm not opposed to going back to cones.

I've tried the oil on wet hair but the comb gets stuck still, I think my hair is just too damaged. arggggg

Wish I knew of something to help. Perhaps too much protein could be the issue? I believe when my hair gets particularly dry and breaky, it seems to be due to protein. Is there any in your shampoo? It seems that moisture will be your best friend with dry and damaged hair, especially fine hair. That's where cones come in for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

hnyc
May 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I did a good trim a few days ago, even on the ends that are broken on the crown. I guess I'll have to do this every few weeks or so. I also found some recipes on here I may try, the shea butter and coconut oil one sounds really good.

Firefox7275
May 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Fructis Triple Nutrition is the conditioner that is generally thought to give the best slip and it is high in palm oil. See the Reviews section (clicky at the top of the page) for other ideas. :)

GRU
May 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I detangle in the shower when my hair is coated with conditioner. I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner.

If I'm doing an updo or braid, I use my Tangle Teezer to detangle.

jojo
May 30th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Damaged hair is best with cones as it will help put a protective coating and allow hair retention. I alternate between cones and non-cones but its not intentional I just pick up which ever conditioner i fancy at the time. Theres nothing wrong with cones just make sure to clarify regular. If your ends are really damaged then trimming might be your only option.

Sundial
May 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM
If you want a commercial product, GAIA Natural Baby Conditioning Detangler doesn't have cones.

Otherwise oils are good and some people use various mixes in their mister bottl. You can check out the What's in Your Mister Bottle thread for some ideas (there's also the Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray)

caiti42
May 31st, 2011, 01:12 AM
I like to use dialuted conditioner.

Captain Nikki
May 31st, 2011, 03:35 AM
Olive oil deep treatments to deal with the dryness & macadamia nut oil applied to the ends whilst still damp after washing & between washes also. SMT's help a lot too for dry, damaged ends.

I'm going to check out that GAIA product though. Thank you for mentioning it Sundial!

DAK-S81
May 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
I second Fructis Triple Nutrition. I CO wash, rinse, condition, rinse, and then use a good dollop of FTN as a leave in. I have curly 3a/b hair, so it's always starved for moisture.

Intransigentia
May 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
A mildly acidic rinse after your wash routine can also help smooth the hair's cuticle and reduce tangling. The most commonly used are diluted lemon juice (link in my signature) or apple cider vinegar (massive thread somewhere). My hair is straight and almost virgin, so tangling is minor to begin with, but with a lemon or vinegar rinse I don't even need to use conditioner.

holomi
May 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Oils aren't too bad for my hair, but after a while dirt and lint sticks to the oil making tangles worse. I save oils for a prewash treatment. Also, keep in mind that cones typically make my hair a tangly matted mess.

The only detangler that has worked wonders for me is Mane and Tail detangler. I use it when I need to comb my 2nd or 3rd day hair. It contains cones but it works wonders. Soft detangled hair with no residue. My shampoo and conditioner are cone free.

slz
May 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM
I use my own butter mixture : recipe here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68482).

Siava
June 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM
I use the Tangle Teezer because it gets tangles out very well.

Ditto. I slather on conditioner in the shower and detangle with my fingers. I use a Tangle Teezer after squeezing out the excess water. Works well for me and hasn't caused breakage or damage.

Deborah
June 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with the acidic rinse after washing. I use citric acid or white vinegar (cheaper and smells better than apple cider vinegar.) I never use conditioner as conditioner (although I usually wash with it) and the acidic rinse leaves my hair easy to detangle. My hair does not respond well to oils.

curlymarcia
June 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Try sweer almond oil. I also have fine hair and I love it.

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I usually detangle my hair when it is heavily oiled before washing it, then finger comb during washing and after. :)

DivineComedian
June 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I tend to detangle my hair with my fingers after slathering it with conditioner. I use Tresemme Naturals, which is very good and, I believe, cone-free as well. Tangle Teezers also work well for me.