PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a pixie cut ... (2011 thread)

animal-lover
May 30th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hi guys!
I've been growing out a pixie cut for about four months now, and I absolutely detest the layers. There are about four layers altogether, with the top one (closest to the scalp) barely recognisable. The bottom two are very 'fluffy'.
My mum suggested I get my hair cut to the second top layer to thicken my hair out. See, I used to have amazing hair - so beautiful and thick. Now, due to the layers (I hope), it appears very thin and flimsy (well, according to me).

Also, does it look like it's grown?
The first photo was in late March (a month and a half after the cut) and the second photo was taken a few minutes ago (30 May).
I don't dye it, nor do I use any heat products at all. I also use Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

FIRST PHOTO: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47317589@N05/5774610645/in/photostream

SECOND PHOTO:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47317589@N05/5774610767/in/photostream/

What do you think? Honest opinions, thank you! :)

Cheeks1206
May 30th, 2011, 01:12 AM
It is a little difficult to see the difference in length in the pictures, but I do think it is a bit longer. I completely sympathize with you on growing out a pixie cut! It's been roughly 2 1/2 years since my last pixie cut; I never trimmed out the layers, I just let it grow for about 2 years. My hair is VERY curly when it's that short, so it kind of hid the layers. That what I told myself, anyway. I just did my first trim mid-March (vernal equinox) to start phasing out the awful pixie layers. Anyway, good luck on your growing journey! You'll have some awkward stages, but you can make it through them!

UltraBella
May 30th, 2011, 01:13 AM
My honest opinion, do not follow your mom's advice right now. Just let it continue growing out. After you have gained some significant length you can start trimming to slowly get rid of the bottom layers.
I can see from the pictures that the back is filling in well and thickening up as it grows. Just give it some time and have patience.

animal-lover
May 30th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks guys!
Yes, patience is the key!
I completely agree; I'm definitely going to wait until my hair grows a bit longer to get rid of the ends.
I really appreciate it :)

Gypsygirl
May 30th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I can see from the pictures that the back is filling in well and thickening up as it grows. Just give it some time and have patience.

That! :) Try benign neglect and gentle care for a while...your hair will look "long" in no time.

jojo
May 30th, 2011, 10:56 PM
My honest opinion, do not follow your mom's advice right now. Just let it continue growing out. After you have gained some significant length you can start trimming to slowly get rid of the bottom layers.

^^ this is exactly what I did, 6 years on im nearly hip. Patience and benign neglect work wonders!

Quirky
July 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
I see growth. I would not take mom's advice. I agree with Bella.

Becs
July 24th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I would agree with others and not take your mom's advice. When i was growing out my pixie, I just let all the layers grow out (with just some minor trimming) until my shortest layer reached collarbone. When my shortest layer was at collarbone, I then got all my hair cut to that length so I was layer free and continued growing from there. Hang in there! I know the layers are tough but it will get better soon

skeletonous
July 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I see growth as well :) especially concerning layers. Great job and keep at it!

I'm currently at the point where I could probably cut the back to match my side pieces and make a mini bob type deal rather than just a really grown out pixie (side pieces are past my ears but only the tips are touching my jaw, which is where the back length is at the moment).

I started growing my hair maybe about 5 months ago (?) from a fresh pixie trim. It takes a while, but you'll see progress :o especially if you take pictures and look back on them!