PDA

View Full Version : Mousse question

Jcv-Shelley
May 29th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I would just like to know how long a person should leave in mouse between washings. Which ingredients should be avoided (non-drying vs drying alcohols.) If it effects the ph lvl of your scalp and the side-effects (if there are any) on long term use.

P.S: Lately, I feel like I've been bugging you guys alot; but I can't help it. :p

Jcv-Shelley
May 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Aww 42 views and no replies yet. C'mon there has to be somebody out there. :o

Firefox7275
May 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I don't fully understand your questions. :o If you don't wash your hair the mousse will be left in for however many days it is until your next wash; you cannot remove it by brushing AFAIK. Styling products shouldn't be applied to the scalp only the hair. What effect it has is presumably going to depend on the individual product, the quantity applied and the sensitivity of your skin. Which ingredients you avoid depends on your hair type and routine - if you are CO-washing you might want to avoid cones and most polyquats. :shrug:

ETA Some good articles here on naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/search?sort=popular&categories=chemicals-ingredients) on ingredients in styling products.

Jcv-Shelley
May 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Firefox7275 - Sorry for the misconception :p . I know that mousse will be lingering on my hair until I finally wash it off no matter what happens, but I didn't know mousse shouldn't be applied to the scalp; would it be bad? I was worried that if I did put it on my head and left it there for days; it might start getting gunky. I plan to use just a little bit. (Scratch that I usually use too much. :whistle: ) My scalp doesn't have any sensitivity problems but I'll probably do a patch test sooner or later. My routine is currently WO but I'm going to start switching to CO since I haven't really tried any other routines :rolleyes: . I also began to think that I might want to/might as well use mousse since I could wash it out anyways. (That and my scalp is flat.) I have typical asian hair, medium textured.

Jcv-Shelley
May 31st, 2011, 02:45 PM
New question out there, is it really bad to leave mousse on your scalp? :confused:

Roscata
June 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think that leaving mouse on your hair will definitely damage it, in this before photo (http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%202.jpg) and after photo (http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%204/Hair%20spray%203.jpg) hair spray caused damage to the hair strand, mouse works pretty much the same in that it sticks hair strands together.

I suggest reading this article Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79). Here is an abstract that relates to your question (under 'Understanding Types of Damage and How to Reduce Them' / 'Chemical Damage' / 'Styling Products'):

"Styling Products- While obviously a lesser demon in the spectrum of hair evils, may mousses, sprays and gels contain alcohol or other drying agents. If your hair is already damaged, it's probably unruly, but you're only furthering the damage by trying to tame it with drying products. Then there's what happens when your hair starts to move with those products in in.
The first photo shows the hair held in place by hairspray, the second shows the shell left by the hairspray after the two hairs have been pulled apart. Note the impression of the cuticle scales left behind.

There are many natural alcohol-free gels and sprays out there. Even aloe gel (check to make sure there's no alcohol in it) straight, or diluted with water into a spray works well. A light oiling can also keep hair from being flyaway, but we'll get more into that later."

I don't know how damaging it can be to the scalp, but I guess it could be drying to it as well.

I suggest using pure aloe vera gel instead, the clear kind. Good luck! :D

Copasetic
June 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
New question out there, is it really bad to leave mousse on your scalp? :confused:

Mousse wouldn't come into contact with your scalp in normal use anyway, so you don't really need to worry.

I use mousse a lot. And don't wash my hair every day. No ill effects from it.

sun-kissed
June 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
I started useing mousse last fall when my BSL hair started to become a little fly-away on the top. To put it simply, I do not think you should use mousse on your hair if you are at all hair-health conscientious.. I now have years of recovery time from those three weeks of light mousse use.

curlymarcia
June 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
I use a mousse with jojoba oil on it. And before applying the mousse I put a little bit of almond oil. By personal experience I can say that on daily use, mousse can make hair dry. I use mousse around twice a month and my hair looks fine for now.

happybear
June 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
I have fine thin hair and I used to use this Got2B mouse with collagen and all kinds of other crap in it.

It made my hair so full and thick looking I was so addicted.

I stopped using it after I inspected my hair brush one day and noticed that the bristles were thickly coated with the mousse, and i had a hard time getting that goop off my brush. I realized that my hair was also getting coated with this crap and that can't be healthy in any way whatever.