PDA

View Full Version : Cone users - how often do you remove buildup?

shikara
May 29th, 2011, 09:25 PM
How often, and do you use a clarifying shampoo, or just SLS shampoo? Anything else you want to share??

xoerincolleen
May 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I use a watered-down clarifying shampoo about once a week. I CO wash without cones about 4x a week and then use a cone-y conditioner on the length from the ears down and ends and usually a cone-y serum. Works well for me, though I may start clarifying more often (or using a regular shampoo more often) because I do get a lot of scalp buildup by the end of the week.

monsterna
May 29th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I use shampoo and a coney conditioner every day (or at least 6 days a week). I usually try to clarify at least once a week with Giovanni 50/50 clarifying shampoo.

erika_d
May 29th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I clarify every 2 or 3 weeks with Neutrogena clarifying shampoo in the rectangular bottle. That could change as I recently started back up with CO washing with Suave Naturals conditioner (which I believe is cone free).

This is what my week usually looks like:

Day 1: Wash with cone-free shampoo (and usually SLS free as well) & condition the ends with Garnier Triple Nutrition

Day 2: Co wash with Suave

Day 3: co wash with suave

Repeat.

SurprisingWoman
May 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I never clarify. I did once.

Ick

Never, ever, ever.

luxepiggy
May 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I don't ever clarify, certainly not with a special clarifying shampoo. I do use the regular shampoo that matches with my conditioner, though I'm not sure what the ingredients are. I only really care about the ingredients in my conditioner (^(oo)^)

christine1989
May 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I am a sporadic cone user and clairify after each cone use. For daily cone users that probobly wouldn't make much sense but because I have extra dry hair I want to make absolutly certian that my leave ins are getting into my hair (not intercepted by buildup).

Yamainu
May 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM
It varies with me - anywhere from once a week to once every three weeks. Depends on the texture of my hair - when it starts getting grubby and tangly, it's time to clarify.

|Xei
May 30th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I'm cone-free for washing. However, I do use a coney serum for when I heat-style my hair.
I've been using the lemon clarifying shampoo from Avalon Organics for awhile now, and even though it's sulphate-free, it seems to be doing a very good job of removing the cones, as well as any styling product I would have on top of them (waxes, clays, hairspray...). I clarify every time I use cones, otherwise my ends become clumpy and crispy-feeling.

KittyLost
May 30th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I was wondering this myself for when I eventually go CO. great question!

heidi.maryke
May 30th, 2011, 03:12 AM
About every fortnight. I use my regular sls shampoo but add a sprinkle of bicarb soda, works a treat!

Angeletti
May 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM
When I was using a shampoo with no sulfates I would usually clarify as soon as my hair started feeling gross with buildup, probably every three weeks, even though my hair always just felt kind of bleh a week after clarifying but I didn't want to overdo it. To solve that problem I recently switched to a shampoo with some sulfates and so far it's taking the buildup off every time and making my hair feel amazing each time I shampoo, so I doubt I'll have to clarify anymore with special shampoo. I'll just have to watch and make sure my hair doesn't get super dry from my current shampoo, it's Biolage's color treated formula.

Eva_M
May 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I consider myself a heavy-cone user: every 3 days I use a regular sls cone shampoo, slightly avoiding the ends, and a coney hair treatment, just on my ends. Sometimes I also use a conditioner. I rarely need to clarify though! I just find the need to clarify when I use many oils that stick to my hair and attrack dust and fluff.

Then I use my regular sls shampoo either twice or insisting on the ends. Sometimes I have also used some bicarb soda with nice results! :D

jojo
May 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I use tresseme deep clean shampoo once a fortnight, I wash twice and then do a deep condition with honey. My hair normally tells me when it needs doing as the conditioner seems to stop working as well.

Buddaphlyy
May 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo as needed. At present, I haven't felt the need to use it for about 3 months.

spidermom
May 31st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I use a coney serum about once every 10 days. My usual routine is CWC with diluted shampoo. About once every 3 months, I will do a shampoo and condition using full-strength shampoo (the same shampoo I've been diluting), and that is clarifying enough for me.

Jeni
May 31st, 2011, 12:10 PM
I CWC daily with a coney conditioner and either a light SLS shampoo or a non SLS shampoo (just depends on what I buy so its varies ever few months) and then I use a coney leave in from about 4" from my scalp down to the ends.

I never clarify anymore...I guess some people will say that since I use light SLS shampoo I am clarifying but what I mean is I NEVER use a deep cleaning or clarifying shampoo. I dont change my routine. Its always CWC + cone leave in (and now coconut oil mousse) I use to think I had to when I joined because people said cones will build up but honestly it never made my hair any nicer instead it just made the ends go :justy:

My hair isn't gunky or weighed down (I just have flat hair) so I guess I am just not prone to buildup.