PDA

View Full Version : Demi Permanent Hair Dye, Vitamin C

cheetahfast
May 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ever since I was a baby, I've had light blonde hair with dark dark dark roots. After years of asking if I dyed (I never truly did, just lemon juice during the summer, which didn't really do much) I went and got a demi done to blend with the roots. I now want to get the rest of the dye out, I went in very late January. My hair dresser said it will totally wash out, which I've learned to not be true. He did a wonderful job, my roots blended perfectly, but now I want a slightly lighter ombre look.

I don't wash daily and had tried NO/SO for two months and a half, so I haven't washed 25 times yet. Plus my shampoo is very very gentle and I only use it every other time I wash.

I'm thinking of doing a heavy coconut oiling overnight and in the morning trying a vitamin c/head and shoulders mix (leave in a half hour) to see if it will lighten it at all. Has anyone tried this before? (I couldn't find another thread mentioning it)

(I will post pics in my profile of my hair blonde, freshly dyed, and more recently since it has faded a bit already)

UltraBella
May 29th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Demicolor does totally wash out on me, but it takes a while. If I want to speed it up, I use a clarifying shampoo meant to remove chlorine.
On my daughter a demicolor will be gone within a month because she swims 5 days a week.

KittyLost
May 30th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I've done the vitamin C trick with Lush Be Hippy citris body and hair gel. It was messy and sticky and I didn't quite wrap my hair properly so I had these awful bluey/grey streaks running down my neck and shoulders that took ages to scrub off. Based on the mess it left on my body I thought it would have worked great but it wasn't really noticible if it had faded my colour or not. It left my hair awfully dry though so do an SMT or moisture treatment afterwards.

I agree with UltraBella. You'd have more luck with a clarifying shampoo.

|Xei
May 30th, 2011, 02:59 AM
You could try using a hair colour remover, such as Color Oops, or Vanish.

cheetahfast
May 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I'm not sure how well the vitamin c treatment, went since my hair is still wet. If it's not light enough I guess I'll pick up a clarifying shampoo. I don't want to use color oops I've heard it's damaging and it turned my friend's hair brittle and orange once. I think it's gotten a bit lighter though since I could see blonde highlights when it was wet, I'll try to add a picture later.

Ultrabella, how many washses do you think it takes for demi to wash out of your hair?

Firefox7275
May 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure how well the vitamin c treatment, went since my hair is still wet. If it's not light enough I guess I'll pick up a clarifying shampoo. I don't want to use color oops I've heard it's damaging and it turned my friend's hair brittle and orange once. I think it's gotten a bit lighter though since I could see blonde highlights when it was wet, I'll try to add a picture later.

As far as I understand it, products like Color Oops cannot turn your hair orange as they do not contain any bleach/ peroxide. They simply reveal the underlying colour, which is not always natural because of the peroxide in permanents dyes. Rather than keep experimenting on your head, why not collect some plughole hair and use that? There is a risk that multiple stripping treatments will be more damaging than the Color Oops would be, as is lemon juice plus a summer of sunlight. :(

Babyfine
May 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I also use a demi color which I can get to last a long time with stretched washings, sulfate free shampoos or poos for color treated hair.

However, Head and Shoulders shampoos really strip my color fast. I'm covering greys and I saw them peeking out quickly, way too quickly, and my red brown color faded fast,way too fast, with just a few poos with Head and shoulders(to help my dandruff).
Maybe you could try that? Might be a good choice because it didn't seem to harm or dry my hair at all. Just stripped the color.

xoxophelia
May 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hair color sticks better for some people than others. I colored my hair with semipermanent and two years later it still hasn't totally faded out (although it has a very fair amount).

Things I found that helped to get it from black to a medium brown: regular oil treatments mixed with honey, swimming, rarely getting a stronger shampoo and leaving it in for about 5 minutes before rinsing, and a lot of patience. Considering you still haven't done 25 washes I would try some of the more gentle methods here besides stripping the color for at least another month.

Darian Moone
May 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Color Oops absolutely can turn your hair orange. Take it from someone who used it - this week!

In a nutshell, Color Oops works by penetrating the hair shaft then causing "shrinkage" to the color molecules that were deposited by hair coloring. The theory is that as you then wash the Color Oops out of your hair and rinse, rinse, rinse, the "shrunken" color molecules will be small enough to be rinsed right out of the hair shaft.

It works. Sort of.

I have used this product several times over the years and always find that it works best on the ends and is progressively less effective as you go up the shaft to the root. This has always resulted in hair that is lighter on the bottom with reddish/orangish coloration at the root. Note: I have always used Color Oops to remove brown hair color.

I have never, ever had Color Oops totally remove and offending color. The best it does is remove enough of it to dye over my hair to get an acceptable color afterward.

Color Oops claims to be non-damaging, and I have found this to be true. I will leave your hair in dire need of a deep conditioning though, mainly IMHO because of the required double washing and 20+ minutes of rinsing with warm water that the process requires rather than because of the product.

In all, I've found Color Oops to be a helpful and non-damaging product, but definitely not a cure-all for complete removal of unwanted color.

HTH

cheetahfast
May 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hair color sticks better for some people than others. I colored my hair with semipermanent and two years later it still hasn't totally faded out (although it has a very fair amount).

Things I found that helped to get it from black to a medium brown: regular oil treatments mixed with honey, swimming, rarely getting a stronger shampoo and leaving it in for about 5 minutes before rinsing, and a lot of patience. Considering you still haven't done 25 washes I would try some of the more gentle methods here besides stripping the color for at least another month.

I think I'll follow this advice, I want to be gentle with my hair. Maybe I'll try to do a wash with head and shoulders once every two or so weeks, if it doesn't start to fade by late June (thanks Babyfine). I don't think I'd ever try stripping the color, I don't hate it that much, I just want it to lighten up a bit faster.

|Xei
May 31st, 2011, 06:06 AM
As far as I understand it, products like Color Oops cannot turn your hair orange as they do not contain any bleach/ peroxide. They simply reveal the underlying colour, which is not always natural because of the peroxide in permanents dyes. Rather than keep experimenting on your head, why not collect some plughole hair and use that? There is a risk that multiple stripping treatments will be more damaging than the Color Oops would be, as is lemon juice plus a summer of sunlight. :(
Not directed at you, Firefox, but I just wanted to add to this for OP.

This is true about Color Oops, and most other colour removers. It is also non-damaging because it works by shrinking the colour molecules in your hair so you can wash it away. As a result, your hair will become more porous for the following days, but this is not damage. It is simply due to the way the product works, and your hair will return to normal in a few days time, so you must deep condition your hair post colour removal.

Since only a demi-permanent dye was used on you, it should not have changed your natural colour, and therefore, using a colour remover such as Color Oops should not turn your hair orange. Demi-permanents only deposit colour onto your hair, after all. I think it would be much less damaging for you to use a colour remover, since a demi-permanent should just lift right off of your hair. It'll be much faster, and you'll save yourself a lot of time. Like Firefox said, stripping the colour multiple times could potentially be damaging.

sunnydays
May 31st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Oh my goodness, I have never met anyone like this, I too had blonde hair and dark dark roots. Cant believe there is actually someone else out there like me, what hair type do you have? I dyed mine with a demi and it has faded which is great, but i am still brown and find that they do not wash out mine stick really really well. I have tried vosene and head and shoulders which is really good at fading, but will only give you slightly lighter brown, not the blonde back.

cheetahfast
May 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Not directed at you, Firefox, but I just wanted to add to this for OP.

This is true about Color Oops, and most other colour removers. It is also non-damaging because it works by shrinking the colour molecules in your hair so you can wash it away. As a result, your hair will become more porous for the following days, but this is not damage. It is simply due to the way the product works, and your hair will return to normal in a few days time, so you must deep condition your hair post colour removal.

Since only a demi-permanent dye was used on you, it should not have changed your natural colour, and therefore, using a colour remover such as Color Oops should not turn your hair orange. Demi-permanents only deposit colour onto your hair, after all. I think it would be much less damaging for you to use a colour remover, since a demi-permanent should just lift right off of your hair. It'll be much faster, and you'll save yourself a lot of time. Like Firefox said, stripping the colour multiple times could potentially be damaging.

I guess my friend's hair was orange underneath from something else she used then. Though if I use color opps and then deep condition after I use conditioner should I lightly oil my hair?