PDA

View Full Version : It seems like everyday i wake up with new split ends?

starbucksaddict
May 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone, so my hair is currently really close to mbl. I co wash with suave coconut and use a coconut oil leave in, i almost always have my hair up and use a silk pillowcase. Everyday though, it seems i have about 4-5 split ends and even if i trim them, there are still some the next day. :confused: can someone please help me out and give me some tips?

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I can't say that 4 - 5 split ends is a lot. I used to have hundreds. I would trim and a few weeks later they would all be back. My hair still gets splits at the drop of a hat. I S & D every few weeks and I am much more careful, but I still get them regularly. Some lucky few seem to never get them.

Anyway, some thoughts- Maybe you have too much protein? Is your hair very tangly? How are you wearing it? Perhaps your hair is rubbing or catching on something, or your daily style is catching the ends. Finally, could your scissors be dull? Hope that helps!

starbucksaddict
May 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you! ill have to look over those things. :)

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
My hair likes to split too. Sometimes I see too many to even make a dent with S&D; that's when I know I need a trim. Other times I can find 4-5 or 20-30. My hair dryer recently quit working, so I'm going to see if no blow-drying (even though I only used warm and cool air and was very careful) makes a difference. I hope so!

Amraann
May 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Some people say that their hair does not like coconut oil. Maybe that is the problem?

cuddledumplin
May 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I can't say I'd be concerned about four or five splits, but I don't S&D as often as it sounds like you do. Maybe try an SMT or another deep conditioning treatment because they seem to help me even when oiling doesn't.

Tigermama
May 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I also had this experience with the suave natural coconut and coconut oil. At first I was amazed how the two made my hair feel, but then noticed major splitting. I was bummed because some swear by those and the price was right! I have taken a break and then gone back and noticed the same effect on several occasions. I use the suave and coconut oil on my daughter's hair with zero splitting problems. Now I use Fructis triple moisture as a conditioner and leave in, and olive oil for my oilings. Maybe take a break and see if it gets better without those?

julliams
May 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Finding 4 - 5 split ends a day means that you are really having to go through to find them. I would not worry about this in the slightest. Keep doing what you are doing and accept that splits may be something your hair is prone to once it gets to a certain length. I was also worried like you about this at your length. Now that my hair is past waist length I would find 4 - 5 splits in a tiny section of hair let along the whole lot. It's age (of the hair), it's not trimming (I haven't trimmed for 14 months) and life.

christine1989
May 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Maybe coconut oil has too much protein for your hair? You could try experimenting with new/different oils or no oil at all. Maybe a traditional leave in would moisturize your hair better. Cones might also help. They hide split ends that you have but also give your hair a layer of protection and might prevent moisture loss from your ends.

gthlvrmx
May 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Maybe your hair needs more moisture and less protein :) If the ends feels crunchier and harder, might be too much protein.

krissykins
May 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM
How do you sleep with your hair? You say it's up, but are the ends exposed in any way? Could they be rubbing against something?

How long do you S&D? During the early stages of S&D, you'll probably find lots of splits. Many of us spent hours during the first week or so of S&Ding because we have so many pre existing splits.

starbucksaddict
May 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM
How do you sleep with your hair? You say it's up, but are the ends exposed in any way? Could they be rubbing against something?

How long do you S&D? During the early stages of S&D, you'll probably find lots of splits. Many of us spent hours during the first week or so of S&Ding because we have so many pre existing splits.
I have it in a braid but my layers dont let me completely braid it. I s&d about 1 -2 weeks ish.

agoddess2die4
May 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM

I get splits a lot at the end (but I do still have color in the last inches and went a year without a trim before learning to self-trim), what would be a good way to keep ends from being exposed? I imagine if you tuck them then the bend at the bottom would rub...hmmm...

Venefica
May 30th, 2011, 04:13 PM
You are supposed to loose ca 100 hairs a day give or take, that is normal. Four or five split ends a day really do not matter much. Also do you go through your entire hair looking for split ends every morning? That must take forever.

I do not have much split ends but I panic over shedding. Off course when I have butt length hair three hairs together looks allot, and I try to tell myself that but I still fret. All I can say is relax, perhaps you like me fret a bit to much over your hair. Perhaps it will get healtheir if you just relax and enjoy it a little. :)