PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wear Crown (Heidi) braids ?

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I love so much this elegant hairstyle (especially as lovely as it looks in this image) ,and I have my hair done this way at least twice a week ,and one of those days is for Sunday' church.

Do you like wearing it ?

http://andyjendrzejewski.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/julie-in-braids-sm.jpg?w=322&h=432

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Very rarely. I hate how it looks from the back; my scalp isn't pretty, and a parting straight down the middle shows rather a lot of it. I'm so looking forward to when I can do it with one braid though, and no parting! :D

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Very rarely. I hate how it looks from the back; my scalp isn't pretty, and a parting straight down the middle shows rather a lot of it. I'm so looking forward to when I can do it with one braid though, and no parting! :D

Oh, I see :-) My mom helps me (i'm 16) whenever I do it,and it is always done with 2 braids,and with a very neat and straight middle parting

Mannaz
May 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I used to do it often, especially when I go waterrunning. It works so well to keep all of my hair out of the water. And it hides oily hair quite well ;)
I usually do it in rope-braids though, makes the look a bit more modern. There's a picture in my album of the style. I'll have to get back to doing that, I bet it will be a good summer style.

That picture is stunning

Knotted
May 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I love this hairstyle and wish my hair was long enough to try it!

Someday...

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I used to do it often, especially when I go waterrunning. It works so well to keep all of my hair out of the water. And it hides oily hair quite well ;)
I usually do it in rope-braids though, makes the look a bit more modern. There's a picture in my album of the style. I'll have to get back to doing that, I bet it will be a good summer style.

That picture is stunning

The picture is of a Polish girl :-). Actually from my mother's side I have Polish origins too,and as a matter of fact this braided style has been famous with Polish women and girls for centuries,something like peasant braids but not only . In the country side in Poland this particular style is still worn,even more so when folk /ethnic costumes are being worn.

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Amazing picture. My hair is not long enough for this style yet.

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
when done my nape looks like this:

http://www.hairboutique.com/images/HeidiBraids1a.jpg

Rivanariko
May 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I haven't figured this one out on myself yet, but it's on my list to try. I love the way it looks, but haven't been successful yet.

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Oh, I see :-) My mom helps me (i'm 16) whenever I do it,and it is always done with 2 braids,and with a very neat and straight middle parting

I probably should say; I have psoriasis on my scalp, that's why I don't think it's pretty. I don't dislike scalps generally. :o Wish I had someone to help me get the parting even though, lucky you!

milagro
May 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Very often, especially now when it's hot and I am outdoor and active a lot of time. It's the most comfortable style for me, keeps all hair off the way, doesn't feel heavy and it stays fixed all day long - as much as it's possible in my hair :D And it looks good with summer dresses and such.

elbow chic
May 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
What a beautiful picture.

I wear them pretty often. Comfortable and neat and they stay all day long. If your hair is a little bit dirty/over-oiled, they actually look even better than they would if it were squeaky-clean.

Also they give me some "height."

What's not to like?

kme81
May 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
This is one of my favorite hairstyles...super comfy and durable!!!

HintOfMint
May 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I love crown braids, but I do mine very differently. I make a deep left parting and start doing a dutch braid and I keep going until I hit underneath my left ear and then I braid the rest and bring it up over my head and tuck the end underneath the lumps of the dutch braid over the top of my head. Then I pin accordingly. That way I don't have to deal with the parting, so maybe, Pepperminttea, you might prefer this method.

jojo
May 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Its a beautiful photo, but not really a style which I use. I feel its more a younger persons updo. Not that I don't like it but I prefer a braided bun to be honest.

Jadestorm
May 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Not very often, because I personally don't really like what the back looks like. Maybe I should try it again soon and see if I can come up with something to make the back look better, like putting a flower there or something.

Mrspuddinhead
May 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think my hair is quite long enough for this just yet. Hopefully it will be soon. Beautiful picture though!!

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I love crown braids, but I do mine very differently. I make a deep left parting and start doing a dutch braid and I keep going until I hit underneath my left ear and then I braid the rest and bring it up over my head and tuck the end underneath the lumps of the dutch braid over the top of my head. Then I pin accordingly. That way I don't have to deal with the parting, so maybe, Pepperminttea, you might prefer this method.

Ooh, I'll have to experiment with that one - thanks! :D

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am puzzled by how the braid looks tipped forward, almost like a diadem or crown. Mine always end up flat to my head.

Sunshineliz
May 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I used to do this fairly often when my hair was longer. Works great on deep cleaning days. Don't want long hair in the toilet for example.:p Don't know how they tip it forward like a crown though, mine would lay flat too.

Blandine
May 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Never. This is a style for girls and rather young women. On anyone older that 25 this will look like, hmmm, what ultra-conservative circle is she from.

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Never. This is a style for girls and rather young women. On anyone older that 25 this will look like, hmmm, what ultra-conservative circle is she from.

And gee, while we're being judgemental - doesn't everybody know that women over 40 have no business with long hair?

I don't like how this style looks from the back, either. I really don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp. But worst of all, the surface of my hair is slippery, and braids will rarely stay pinned up.

LisaB234
May 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I think crown braids are elegant, classic and comfortable. With more length I could do it without a part. My objection to a part is sunburn in the summer, but I love my hair up and off my face and neck as it gets hot! Thanks for the reminder of a classic style!

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I am puzzled by how the braid looks tipped forward, almost like a diadem or crown. Mine always end up flat to my head.

Mine too :-( I wish I could have it done more like true diadem,like in the original photo.... My braids are usually fashioned like the pic below (even more towards the crown) so they really look kind of flat.

http://www.artessen.com/images/posts/blog-305/231063-2how-to-heidi-braids-o.jpg

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I would like to learn the trick to the upstanding version. Even so, I always get compliments on mine. I don't mind the flat ones, they are still adorable. In fact, flat heidi braids make it easier to do Renaissance Hair Taping. I wore that style to a dance class not too long ago and my girlfriends couldn't believe it. No one told me I was wearing a style too young for my 41 year old self, either. :p I was told that I looked "Very Czech." Since I am half Czech, I took it as quite the compliment.

I don't think of the Heidi braids as a young style because I have seen too many vintage photos of older ladies with braided hair. To me, hair up = mature woman and hair down = younger woman. That was pretty much the standard for much of history.

Mine too :-( I wish I could have it done more like true diadem,like in the original photo.... My braids are usually fashioned like the pic below (even more towards the crown) so they really look kind of flat.

http://www.artessen.com/images/posts/blog-305/231063-2how-to-heidi-braids-o.jpg

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I can never get a straight part in the back, but I like the way it looks from the front enough to ignore it. May I suggest Renaissance Hair Taping? Sew the little buggers down! It takes me about 5 minutes to sew them and they don't move for anything.

*Mods- sorry for the back to back posts but I am finding that Google Chrome doesn't like the Quote+ feature on the forums.

And gee, while we're being judgemental - doesn't everybody know that women over 40 have no business with long hair?

I don't like how this style looks from the back, either. I really don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp. But worst of all, the surface of my hair is slippery, and braids will rarely stay pinned up.

battles
May 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM

I think this style would look so pretty with your hair color. :)

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I would like to learn the trick to the upstanding version. Even so, I always get compliments on mine. I don't mind the flat ones, they are still adorable. In fact, flat heidi braids make it easier to do Renaissance Hair Taping. I wore that style to a dance class not too long ago and my girlfriends couldn't believe it. No one told me I was wearing a style too young for my 41 year old self, either. :p I was told that I looked "Very Czech." Since I am half Czech, I took it as quite the compliment.

I don't think of the Heidi braids as a young style because I have seen too many vintage photos of older ladies with braided hair. To me, hair up = mature woman and hair down = younger woman. That was pretty much the standard for much of history.

I am half Polish,you're half Czech,nice :-) ! But from what I understand from my mother & grandmother, Heidi braids used to be a style for little girls too,this is for sure, even nowadays in Poland I saw in the country side,young girls,like 6,7,8 years old wearing exactly this style, just like I have seen old ladies doing it too. But as for hair down=younger woman,maybe I don't know,but the way mom raised me & taught me about hair,it has been mostly hair tied somehow,neatly braided,etc.

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I am going to have to try the technique of binding the hair into place by sewing in the ribbon. I've never done it.

My hair is too long to go from nape to top; it wraps all the way around. I suppose I could try doubling it back.

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Nice to know that it is a multi-generational hair style. My comment about loose hair being for younger women was from way back when. Since women started cutting their hair short, the rules have changed.

I am half Polish,you're half Czech,nice :-) ! But from what I understand from my mother & grandmother, Heidi braids used to be a style for little girls too,this is for sure, even nowadays in Poland I saw in the country side,young girls,like 6,7,8 years old wearing exactly this style, just like I have seen old ladies doing it too. But as for hair down=younger woman,maybe I don't know,but the way mom raised me & taught me about hair,it has been mostly hair tied somehow,neatly braided,etc.

Xandergrammy
May 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I love this style and just wore it myself the first time yesterday. I'm going to put pictures here so you can see how I did it. I'm hoping to find another way of pinning the braid other than the little claw clips, but the little clips really held this style like glue all day. I'm glad that I can do it with one braid because I have cowlicks in the back of my head that make for a really ugly part.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0050.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0051.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0052.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0053.jpg

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I used a plastic large eyed sewing needle like the kind you get for canvas embroidery. It has a large enough eye that a grosgrain ribbon fits easily, and was dull enough that I didn't poke myself when sewing the braids down.

I am going to have to try the technique of binding the hair into place by sewing in the ribbon. I've never done it.

My hair is too long to go from nape to top; it wraps all the way around. I suppose I could try doubling it back.

Mesmerise
May 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM

I understand what you are saying! I have never worn that sort of style since I was maybe 10 ;) I DO think it looks nice... but I think I would be afraid of people judging me for it (in other words, thinking I was from some sort of religious group etc.) and that's simply because I have never, ever seen anyone wear it in my area! Maybe the occasional child.

I'd love to have the confidence to rock it through!

Xandergrammy
May 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Really? I really got to love this style by seeing pictures of Yulia Tymoshenko. I think she looks so elegant and beautiful and she's well over 25.

Mesmerise
May 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Really? I really got to love this style by seeing pictures of Yulia Tymoshenko. I think she looks so elegant and beautiful and she's well over 25.

I think it's probably also where you live though? In some areas it's just not a style that's worn at all. And yeah, I've seen Yulia Tymoshenko, and she looks beautiful with it, but I can't imagine any female politicians in Australia with crown braids!

I guess it's like longer hair in general. In some areas it's seen frequently, and others not so much. If you have long hair (especially if you're older) and you're living somewhere where it's very very unusual for people over 30 to have long hair, you're going to stand out and people will comment. If you live in an area where a lot of people have long hair, and long hair in older ladies isn't uncommon, people aren't going to say or think anything.

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I understand what you are saying! I have never worn that sort of style since I was maybe 10 ;) I DO think it looks nice... but I think I would be afraid of people judging me for it (in other words, thinking I was from some sort of religious group etc.) and that's simply because I have never, ever seen anyone wear it in my area! Maybe the occasional child.

Some people look at me too sometimes curious when they see me in Heidi braids,as they are not used to see this styles often,some like it and I get compliments. But on the other hand I am from a conservative Christian rural community and such styles are normal for us :-)

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM
If your hair is long enough, people will comment ANYWAY, so you might as well have fun with it, right?

I have migrated into the "freakishly long*" category in an area where a large number of women and a fair number of men sport long hair. It can't get any more freaky so I am wearing it how ever I like. :D

* A comment made by a friend of mine who at the time had very short hair and orange eye shadow. I wasn't offended, but instead realized that the two of us have very different fashion ideals.

I think it's probably also where you live though? In some areas it's just not a style that's worn at all. And yeah, I've seen Yulia Tymoshenko, and she looks beautiful with it, but I can't imagine any female politicians in Australia with crown braids!

I guess it's like longer hair in general. In some areas it's seen frequently, and others not so much. If you have long hair (especially if you're older) and you're living somewhere where it's very very unusual for people over 30 to have long hair, you're going to stand out and people will comment. If you live in an area where a lot of people have long hair, and long hair in older ladies isn't uncommon, people aren't going to say or think anything.

Xandergrammy
May 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM

At the age of 55, I'm very happy to say that I finally don't care what other people think! :gabigrin:

ravenreed
May 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I hit that point a while ago. It is very... freeing. :cheer:

At the age of 55, I'm very happy to say that I finally don't care what other people think! :gabigrin:

Xandergrammy
May 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I hit that point a while ago. It is very... freeing. :cheer:

Yes, it IS very freeing! My only regret is that I didn't reach this point at a younger age, like you!

jojo
May 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I love this style and just wore it myself the first time yesterday. I'm going to put pictures here so you can see how I did it. I'm hoping to find another way of pinning the braid other than the little claw clips, but the little clips really held this style like glue all day. I'm glad that I can do it with one braid because I have cowlicks in the back of my head that make for a really ugly part.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0050.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0051.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0052.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0053.jpg

now I like that version, its really pretty, must try it out!

DorothyAtForty
May 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I love wearing this hairstyle, especially now that it's warmer and my hair is long enough to style different ways. :D I used to wear this almost every day, but lately I've been too tired to put it up.

Mesmerise
May 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM

I have to say, the style looks great on you too! And I love those little claw clips.

Actually this thread has made me want to try a crown braid again, so I might do it tomorrow! I'm just worried my braids are too pitifully scrawny looking...hmm... well I can see what it turns out like anyway!

tigerhearted
May 29th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I don't wear them as often as I would like! All the braiding makes my arms and wrists very tired, and it takes a zillion pins to secure.

I love to wear them when I have a full day planned of house-work/gardening. The weight is distributed very nicely and I feel cute when I wear them. Hubby always comments that it's his favorite updo on me. :3

cuddledumplin
May 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I wear it that way occasionally, but I like to put flowers in my hair to make it more like Frida Kahlo. I like a single plait too. Sometimes I do a thing where tuck the ends in and it looks a bit rounded when I do two paits. I think it's the same thing HintOfMint does. (I need to take a photo of that style). I have left the ends untucked and sticking out like pigtails too. I think it's cute.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cuddledumplin/singlecrownbraid.jpg

cheetahfast
May 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I cannot wait until my hair gets long enough to try this cute look!

Madora
May 29th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I LOVE Coronet Braids. But I loathe parts so have devised 2 methods of braiding w/o the part.

One of the variations is shown below..the one in purple dates from 1989. The other dates from November last year:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/530Coronetbraid1989and2010.jpg

ArienEllariel
May 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I do this from time to time but I have to start my braids up higher than usual because my hair is still a tad on the short side. When it gets longer I'll wear it more often. It's my favorite style. :)

Masara
May 30th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I've been meaning to try Madora's French coronet braid for a while and this thread inspired me to give it a go. (note to self- 7 am on a Monday morning is not a good time to start trying new styles!!)

My braid isn't long enough to sit high/forward on my crown, so it was barely visible from the front. I think I prefer it that way. I have a long face and I don't want to add height.

The balance felt wierd at first because it was spread over my head and I kept worrying it was slipping, but I've got used to it now and it's actually really comfortable. I tried fixing the braid with short Amish pins from the front, but they didn't feel like they were holding well, so I swapped them for longer crimped ones that I put in along the length of the braid.
What do other people use to hold the braid in place?

Pics. I didn't get the tail tucked in well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/100_0285-1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/100_0288-1.jpg

Looking at Madoras pics again, I'm beginning to wonder if she didn't split her French braid into two and braid each part. I just wrapped my tail around. Maybe if I did two braids, I would get a wider circle, but each braid would be puny..... and holding them in place woulkd take more pins.

I've never tried from two standard braids coming over my head. I'm not sure I'll like it as much; I'm not very good at getting a straight parting at the back and to do that style right, I'd need to have the braids further forward on my head which I'm still unsure about.

Aredhel77
May 30th, 2011, 04:42 AM
The picture is of a Polish girl :-). Actually from my mother's side I have Polish origins too,and as a matter of fact this braided style has been famous with Polish women and girls for centuries,something like peasant braids but not only . In the country side in Poland this particular style is still worn,even more so when folk /ethnic costumes are being worn.

Ahh...that makes sense. I have worn this style once, in a half-up, to work. I work with deaf students and one of the teenage boys I care for is Polish. At dinner he said 'I like your hair - people wore it like that hundreds of years ago' I was surprised that he knew that - but if it is traditionally worn in Poland he would have seen it before I guess :).

Aredhel77
May 30th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I've been meaning to try Madora's French coronet braid for a while and this thread inspired me to give it a go. (note to self- 7 am on a Monday morning is not a good time to start trying new styles!!)

My braid isn't long enough to sit high/forward on my crown, so it was barely visible from the front. I think I prefer it that way. I have a long face and I don't want to add height.

The balance felt wierd at first because it was spread over my head and I kept worrying it was slipping, but I've got used to it now and it's actually really comfortable. I tried fixing the braid with short Amish pins from the front, but they didn't feel like they were holding well, so I swapped them for longer crimped ones that I put in along the length of the braid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/100_0285-1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/100_0288-1.jpg

Looking at Madoras pics again, I'm beginning to wonder if she didn't split her French braid into two and braid each part. I just wrapped my tail around. Maybe if I did two braids, I would get a wider circle, but each braid would be puny..... and holding them in place woulkd take more pins.

I've never tried from two standard braids coming over my head. I'm not sure I'll like it as much; I'm not very good at getting a straight parting at the back and to do that style right, I'd need to have the braids further forward on my head which I'm still unsure about.

Masara, that style looks gorgeous on you!

MonaMayfair
May 30th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I do (the basic style, not the more elaborate ones) because it's the easiest way for me to wear my hair up. Also it doesn't pull on my scalp like buns do.
I usually put a hair band or scarf round my hair to keep it in place.

Madora
May 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM
@ Masara...

Holy Cow! Your coronet braid is gorgeous! And what a lovely color your hair is!

Yes, you're right, my coronet braid is actually two braids.

Here's how it was done:

1) French Dutch braid down to nape.
2) Clip the hair with hair friendly barrette. (clip is used as a hair holder so I don't have to bother holding my hair and getting the sections "just right").
3) Divide hair in 2 sections
4) Braid one section (partially, just to get the braid going)
5) Remove clip
6) Continue to finish the braid. Tie off with hair friendly band.
7) Braid other section of hair. Tie off
8) Bring braid on the LEFT across nape and up and around the
RIGHT SIDE
9) Bring braid on the RIGHT across nape and up and around the LEFT SIDE

10) Hold flattened braids (one in front of the other) on the top (center) of your head. Use crimped hairpin to secure the foremost braid in the center. Use another one to secure braid behind it.

11) Secure the rest of the braids with more crimped pins (it usually took at least 8 large (3" crimped pins) or 12 small (2" crimped pins).

12) Tuck the ends under the braids and secure with hairpins.

I love this updo! So easy, so comfy! And I love the "princess" look it brings!

I've tried a single braid, as you depicted in your photo, Masara, but I'm a perfectionist and really like the entire braid to appear thick all the way 'round -- like Yulia Temchenko's gorgeous golden coronet braid. Alas, my hair never reached those lengths!

Sunshineliz
May 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, now I REALLY wish I hadn't chopped my hair so I could try the new crown braids I'm seeing by Xandergammy, Madora, and Masara. You guys look great!

(I suppose I can still do it on DD10's tailbone hair though!:D)

Xandergrammy
May 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM

This is gorgeous! I love it. Your hair is so shiny and such a lovely color. :inlove: I'm still working on figuring out how to fasten mine.

Xandergrammy
May 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
@ Masara...

Holy Cow! Your coronet braid is gorgeous! And what a lovely color your hair is!

Yes, you're right, my coronet braid is actually two braids.

Here's how it was done:

1) French Dutch braid down to nape.
2) Clip the hair with hair friendly barrette. (clip is used as a hair holder so I don't have to bother holding my hair and getting the sections "just right").
3) Divide hair in 2 sections
4) Braid one section (partially, just to get the braid going)
5) Remove clip
6) Continue to finish the braid. Tie off with hair friendly band.
7) Braid other section of hair. Tie off
8) Bring braid on the LEFT across nape and up and around the
RIGHT SIDE
9) Bring braid on the RIGHT across nape and up and around the LEFT SIDE

10) Hold flattened braids (one in front of the other) on the top (center) of your head. Use crimped hairpin to secure the foremost braid in the center. Use another one to secure braid behind it.

11) Secure the rest of the braids with more crimped pins (it usually took at least 8 large (3" crimped pins) or 12 small (2" crimped pins).

12) Tuck the ends under the braids and secure with hairpins.

I love this updo! So easy, so comfy! And I love the "princess" look it brings!

I've tried a single braid, as you depicted in your photo, Masara, but I'm a perfectionist and really like the entire braid to appear thick all the way 'round -- like Yulia Temchenko's gorgeous golden coronet braid. Alas, my hair never reached those lengths!

thank you so much for these instructions, Madora. I'm going to try this the next time I want to wear this style. Yours looks so elegant. :inlove:

Xandergrammy
May 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Wow, now I REALLY wish I hadn't chopped my hair so I could try the new crown braids I'm seeing by Xandergammy, Madora, and Masara. You guys look great!

(I suppose I can still do it on DD10's tailbone hair though!:D)

Don't you fret, Sunshineliz! Your hair will be long enough before you know it and you're lucky to have someone to practice on!

ReadHeadGirl
May 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Masara,your hair is so very very BEAUTIFUL ! the Lord has blessed you ! I wish i had your hair color :) . Updo is wonderful !!

Masara
May 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Madora, thanks for the instructions. I had got the two braid idea from peering at you photos from every side (obviously after I had finished doing my hair), but I don't think I would have thought of crossing them over at the nape. I think that's what made me think it was just one braid; the transition looks so smooth. I can see on my pictures that the starting braid leans to one side while yours stays centred. That must be the the two crossed braids.

I'll have to try it that way and see what it looks like. I agree that I'd rather avoid the taper you get with just one braid, but on the other hand, my hair is so fine the braids will probably get lost altogether.
I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who has to use a ton of pins.

ReadHeadGirl
May 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Ahh...that makes sense. I have worn this style once, in a half-up, to work. I work with deaf students and one of the teenage boys I care for is Polish. At dinner he said 'I like your hair - people wore it like that hundreds of years ago' I was surprised that he knew that - but if it is traditionally worn in Poland he would have seen it before I guess :).

Well, I visited Poland once and I have seen just a few young girls wearing it,that's all.

Magdalene
May 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I like wearing it but not all the pins so I don't wear it very often. (and I don't like the look of mini jaw clips). If I could figure out a way to secure it I would probably wear it more often- it can be quite flattering. (I'm not that fond of hair taping for everyday life either)

ReadHeadGirl
May 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/793/hu059239xh2.jpg

trillian
May 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I like wearing it but not all the pins so I don't wear it very often. (and I don't like the look of mini jaw clips). If I could figure out a way to secure it I would probably wear it more often- it can be quite flattering. (I'm not that fond of hair taping for everyday life either)

I like crown braids. They are both comfy, and once I got the hang of them - easy. I don't tend to worry much about my scalp showing, but then again, I don't always brush my hair before I toss it in to an English braid and run out the door.

That said, I don't pin mine. I bought a Goody Ouchless Flex, and hook the tail of my braid to the base braid, and just tuck the remaining hair underneath. Then again, my hair is only BSL so those of you with longer hair may not have much success with this.

Mrspuddinhead
May 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think I did it quite right and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Any way here is my attempt. I think once it gets a bit longer it will be much easier. I didn't have bobby pins so I just used clips and tucked the ends into the hair tie. Seemed to work pretty well.

http://i54.tinypic.com/x206xz.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2hmf385.jpg

milagro
May 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
That said, I don't pin mine. I bought a Goody Ouchless Flex, and hook the tail of my braid to the base braid, and just tuck the remaining hair underneath. Then again, my hair is only BSL so those of you with longer hair may not have much success with this.
My hair is about the same length and my crown braid holds with one little jawclip. Sometimes it needs an additional pin to fix the "free" braided part.
One of the reasons I love the style :) Not so with heidi braids, though, they need quite a number of pins and clips.

For those who doesn't like showing parts if you do a lace crown braid taking new strnds from one side only, it shows no part at all:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6900&pictureid=94104 lace crown
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6900&pictureid=92899 regular crown braid

Seeshami
May 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I haven't tried it with my hair, but I have the inkling my layers will make it look like a hot mess. I am counting the centimeters till I can get the silly poke out layers into the infinity bun.

ksanka02
May 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I wish I could wear my hair like this soon, it looks very cute:o

ksanka02
May 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=yulia+tymoshenko&hl=en&biw=1516&bih=686&prmd=ivnsuo&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4mjkTcbUIoG8sQPM47UW&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQsAQ
An older Ukrainian lady, this style works for every age, I think...

ksanka02
May 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=yulia+tymoshenko&hl=en&biw=1516&bih=686&prmd=ivnsuo&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4mjkTcbUIoG8sQPM47UW&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQsAQ
an older means over 25... :lipssealed:

SheaLynne
May 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ohhhh, these are all just gorgeous!! I wear this style from time to time, and I am over 40 <gasp!> lol

I love all the variations and suggestions on securing the braids...so many options on a very classic and classy style.

imho, it is only unusual because so few have long enough hair for it, and even those with long hair often do not have the braiding skills or take the time to do interesting updos...I consider it an art and a skill that few have and most would appreciate rather than ridicule or make assumptions about. The rarity is all the more reason to wear it!

ashke50
May 31st, 2011, 05:48 AM
I haven't figured out crown braids yet, but I like doing heidi braids. It is comfortable, and looks good - it is nice to have my hair up and out of my way, but still visible from in front.

Sunshineliz
May 31st, 2011, 07:53 AM

Of course she did it more for political reasons. One can hope it'll catch on though.:D

Xandergrammy
June 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ohhhh, these are all just gorgeous!! I wear this style from time to time, and I am over 40 <gasp!> lol

I love all the variations and suggestions on securing the braids...so many options on a very classic and classy style.

imho, it is only unusual because so few have long enough hair for it, and even those with long hair often do not have the braiding skills or take the time to do interesting updos...I consider it an art and a skill that few have and most would appreciate rather than ridicule or make assumptions about. The rarity is all the more reason to wear it!

I've decided that if anyone asks me why I'm wearing my hair this way, I'm going to smile sweetly and say "Because I can" :gabigrin:

Sunshineliz
June 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I tried out masara's crown braid on DD10. I looked pretty good but her hair isn't quite long enough to do it properly. (It's tailbone, but she's still a small girl:)) I still think it looks pretty though!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=104402

I tried dutch crown braids on my hair today (I know they can be done on shoulder length hair) but threw up my hands in frustration after getting confused several times. But I found a way to do the Heidi braids on my shorter hair! Yay!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3309/5797267272_feed7a1c67.jpg

They're fun! (And they don't hurt my head like buns do)

ravenreed
June 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I figured out one way to make the braids stand up instead of lying flat. I secured the braids from behind with mini claw clips (http://www.amazon.com/Scuncii-37159-A-Scunci-Mini-37159-a/dp/B003N0KH3O). I only secured the bottom edge of the braid and let the braid rest on the clips. I used some that match my hair color but you can still kind of see them from behind. I will try to get a picture even though my hair isn't quite long enough for a complete crown braid. I need about two more inches of braid! Anyway, it looks perfect from the front, but slightly odd from the back.

Xandergrammy
June 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I tried out masara's crown braid on DD10. I looked pretty good but her hair isn't quite long enough to do it properly. (It's tailbone, but she's still a small girl:)) I still think it looks pretty though!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=104402

I tried dutch crown braids on my hair today (I know they can be done on shoulder length hair) but threw up my hands in frustration after getting confused several times. But I found a way to do the Heidi braids on my shorter hair! Yay!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3309/5797267272_feed7a1c67.jpg

They're fun! (And they don't hurt my head like buns do)

DD's crown braid looks great, but I have to tell you that YOU look adorable with one!!! It's definitely a great hairstyle for you!

Madora
June 4th, 2011, 03:39 PM
@Sunshineliz...

Those are wonderful 'dos! Good for you~! :joy:

PrincessBob
June 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
rarely, but with summer on its way, I'm looking at doing it much more often.

ashke50
June 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I wore heidi braids today to a BBQ and got 3 compliments on my plaits - definitely a good style!

slz
June 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Never, ever, would you catch me wearing those. I'd love to, but I tried once ... it doesn't suit AT ALL my face and I look utterly ridiculous. I have quite masculine / serious face features and this rather soft updo makes you wonder what was wrong with me when I did it. Seriously hideous.

Firefly
June 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Never-- it's just not for me. But I can appreciate how awesome they look on other people. There have been some stunning braids in this thread! :sun:

Immera
June 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Nope, can't crown braid. When I do it with two dutch braids my hair shows its tapering. I agree with peppermint tea that I don't like how the back looks. I'd rather pin my dutch braids into a chinese bun instead.

dragonchickx
June 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I did this today with a back french braid, than I snapped some medium length extentions under the crown braid and draped them behind my ears and braided those, id really liked it.

Yamainu
June 5th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I've always loved the look, but never got the hang of it. Maybe I should try again, now that my hair's past waist...

arc691
June 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/More%20More%20Smilies/34-2.gif

What a beautiful picture! I wear my hair like this sometimes~ after seeing this, maybe "sometimes" will be tomorrow!

Patty lou
June 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Most of the time I wear Heidi braids, Love it as keeps my hair up and off my neck,
I start with 2 high above my ears pony tails, then I braid them all the way so as to have no tassel and I take the left one up and over my head and around the start of the right one and keep doing this till the end (no elastic) is under the the braid, then I repeat with right braid, it usually lasts about 4 days.
It also requires few pins.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXjFuROhItw&feature=related

Patti lou

Masara
June 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Sunshineliz. it looks good. Maybe if you tried Madora's version with two braids, it would go round further. Is her hair thick enough not to be lost if you split it?

Slz, I know what you mean. I could do an adapted version of Madora's braid because it wasn't actually visible from the front. I don't think it would go well with my face if I actually had braids further forward than that.

TheBluffs
June 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I wore my hair like this today for church! I wear it occasionaly in Canada, but when I go to Poland, I were it about four times a week, due to my grandmother's pestering (She were's her hair like this everyday). When I dress in my cultural clothing for dancing, I were the crown braid, or two english braids with ribion on the ends.

tigereye
June 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I do half-up crown braids for nights out sometimes. I like full ones, but I still havent mastered getting it not to make lumpy-bumpy bits at the front:p. Somehow, I do fine with half-up ones:confused:. I guess more practice is needed for full ones...

I like how, in crown braids, it's just one braid that carries on right round, past the starting point. I don't do heidi braids much, because the straight up part at the nape annoys me in my own hair, because my skin is so light and shows in the part at the bottom. Plus, I always end up loosing all my pins.:o
They look lovely on others though:thud:. So pretty these styles...:D

TheBluffs
June 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM

There is a trick for getting it stay up like a crown that I use sometimes that I learned. I will try and post the instructions up on the twenty first. :)

kettle
June 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I LOVE this style, though I hardly ever wear it since it's much more fiddly to put up than a good old bun. I've actually worn it the past couple of weekends off. It is a summery style. Funnily enough, when I wear it, I usually get comments about my looking "foreign"... one guy on a fruit stall said he'd assumed I was German :shrug:

One of the reasons I love wearing it, aside from it being really pretty, is because I've never seen anyone in RL wearing it. I like to be a bit different.

And I have pics - more in my albums - of both regular and green hair with this style :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=90226&albumid=364&dl=1292019763&thumb=1
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=364&pictureid=90226) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=103912&albumid=7905&dl=1306592674&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7905&pictureid=103912)

Sunshineliz
June 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Kettle your heidi braids look really nice! Both regular and green versions;) It looks so smooth--I have troubles with that.

Thanks XG, Madora, and Masara for the compliments!I had to hold my head upside down and braid that way so the braids would be long enough to pull the braids across. I don't do ponytails before the braids, even when my hair was long, because I think it makes them stick out more on the sides and takes away some of the length.
I rather like the look on me! (And I read that it's a good style for my face shape, so I guess it isn't just me and the wonderful LHCers who think so--but do the other opinions really matter?:D) It's also great for deep-cleaning days as well as hot weather. Now if only I could get the dutch crown braid down on myself...:(

I could try Madora's version on DD10, but I think her hair might not be thick enough for it. Either way it is easier than the traditional crown braid, but I CAN do those on her so I will continue to do so when she asks (she loves it.) It's fun to change it up though.

I wish I could do the half-up crown braids like you tigereye. Every time I try it on DD I end up with a funny-looking part around the outside of the braid.:confused:

I also love milagro's crown braid. I've done the lace dutch crown braid on DD10 and it looks good (don't have a pic that shows the lack of part though.) For some reason I find that one easier than the other traditional ones anyway, and I like the look.

TheBluffs I would love to see your solution for making the braids stand up. I'd like to try that sometime.

ReadHeadGirl
June 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I LOVE this style, though I hardly ever wear it since it's much more fiddly to put up than a good old bun. I've actually worn it the past couple of weekends off. It is a summery style. Funnily enough, when I wear it, I usually get comments about my looking "foreign"... one guy on a fruit stall said he'd assumed I was German :shrug:

One of the reasons I love wearing it, aside from it being really pretty, is because I've never seen anyone in RL wearing it. I like to be a bit different.

And I have pics - more in my albums - of both regular and green hair with this style :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=90226&albumid=364&dl=1292019763&thumb=1
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=364&pictureid=90226) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=103912&albumid=7905&dl=1306592674&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7905&pictureid=103912)

Kettle I love the way your hair looks in these Heidi braids ! :)

ReadHeadGirl
June 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I wore my hair like this today for church! I wear it occasionaly in Canada, but when I go to Poland, I were it about four times a week, due to my grandmother's pestering (She were's her hair like this everyday). When I dress in my cultural clothing for dancing, I were the crown braid, or two english braids with ribion on the ends.

So you're Polish ? Great ! I have some Polish blood too. Yes, when I visited Poland,I had the chance to see some folk dances there,and some of the girls had Heidi braids,and like you said also english braids with ribbons. Polish costumes are definitely beautiful !

http://www.krakus.net/zasoby/grafika/home%20page%203.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5jBNnnGAMe8/TRDvybHpbnI/AAAAAAAAAcE/GPndm1HxFdQ/s1600/DSC_0204.JPG
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2619893366_085f876234.jpg

TheBluffs
June 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
So you're Polish ? Great ! I have some Polish blood too. Yes, when I visited Poland,I had the chance to see some folk dances there,and some of the girls had Heidi braids,and like you said also english braids with ribbons. Polish costumes are definitely beautiful !

Yes, I am Polish. :) What kind of gene pool do you have? The dancing costumes are lovely! I happen to own one myself, as I was taught some folk dance. But the only one I remeber is the Krakowiak. I would keep learning at the Polish Heritage Center, but I do not have enough time :(

ReadHeadGirl
June 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, I am Polish. :) What kind of gene pool do you have? The dancing costumes are lovely! I happen to own one myself, as I was taught some folk dance. But the only one I remeber is the Krakowiak. I would keep learning at the Polish Heritage Center, but I do not have enough time :(

I am Polish from my mother's side (dad has German roots) . I visited Germany too,but I can tell you, Polish dance costumes are really more beautiful than the German ones :) for example.

JuliaDancer
June 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I am Polish from my mother's side (dad has German roots) . I visited Germany too,but I can tell you, Polish dance costumes are really more beautiful than the German ones :) for example.

Yay! My grandfather on my father's side is Polish! He's from Warsaw. I've never been to Poland, but I would love to go soon.

ReadHeadGirl
June 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM
So nice !

http://www.tuicer.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/6df84_black+braids+hairstyles.jpg

Tressie
June 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM
That's a lovely style and I think the woman in the vintage photo you shared is beautiful! Thanks for posting this. :blossom:

E.T.A. The pictures of the Polish folk dress are awesome! Beautiful women and girls and such thick braids in the first small photo!

Lunnafindel
June 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Wow, how did I not read this thread before? I've been doing crown braids a lot in the past week becuase I found this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1485029&postcount=1) - instructions to make a crown braid like Yulia Tymoshenko by adding in small sections to a dutch braid. It solves all the problems anyone's mentioned in this thread: There's no taper, because you're adding hair, there's no ugly back part, and best of all, you don't need pins to hold it up! Plus it works on BSL hair, for those of you worrying about having enough hair to complete it.
I don't know why no one's brought it up - it's from February, so it should be in recent memory - but I know I only recently found it from http://1000daysofhair.blogspot.com/p/styles.html (a blog I go to when I have a lot of time to devote to my hair because it's so addictive)
I love it. I'm using it to practice my upside-down braiding skills. You know, maybe I'll do it now, and then post a picture.
Enjoy!

Lunnafindel
June 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ok here they are:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5462&pictureid=104618

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5462&pictureid=104619

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5462&pictureid=104620

I curled the tail into a bun at the end, but I bet most people could just tuck it into the beginning of the braid. Isn't it a great style? I wear it out in public no problem - I think it's beautiful, and who cares what other people think?

Sunshineliz
June 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Ok here they are:

I curled the tail into a bun at the end, but I bet most people could just tuck it into the beginning of the braid. Isn't it a great style? I wear it out in public no problem - I think it's beautiful, and who cares what other people think?

OMGosh! I love that version and am excited to find out there are instructions! Even if it doesn't work on me I have a long-haired victi-- I mean "volunteer"--to try it out on.:D

Madora
June 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Lord have MERCY, Lunnafindel!!! What an EXQUISITE braid!! Oh, to have hair that long..and in such superlative condition! (Just a wee bit envious..in a good way!)

Tressie
June 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Lunnafindel, That's as lovely going as it is coming! (o: :blossom:

S-mansMommy
June 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sadly, my hair is not yet long enough to try Heidi braids, but I would at least give it a go when it is. I did a crown braid for the first time(upside down I guess, because I went around the top of my head first) and it looked really nice, so I'm eager to try some more around the head braids.

squiggyflop
June 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM
no i dont like wearing it like this.. it requires too many pins.. and because i make sudden and jerky movements it just doesnt hold..

Xandergrammy
June 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Ok here they are:

You're absolutely right- it IS beautiful! And so are you! This looks gorgeous!

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I LOVE Coronet Braids. But I loathe parts so have devised 2 methods of braiding w/o the part.

One of the variations is shown below..the one in purple dates from 1989. The other dates from November last year:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/530Coronetbraid1989and2010.jpg

I love this style on you too, it looks like a grown up version of Heidi braids and reminds me of a proper pork pie crust which where my favorite! which is a compliment; they dont make pork pies like that no more:o

Madora
June 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
@jojo...

Thanks! I might try taking an outdoor pic of this style..if I can figure out just how to set up my tripod and timer.

Bathroom lighting is not always the greatest..but in a pinch you just hafta roll with the punches!

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
your very welcome.

Sunshineliz
June 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I tried out that Yulia Tymoshenko version on DD10 and it was cute!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=104840

Thanks Arya for making up the instructions, and lunnafindel for pointing out her thread!

Olga-Freya
June 9th, 2011, 06:39 AM
You're lucky, girls, that you can wear this hairstyle. I think, that it's very pretty style, but if I make it one day it, people will giggle behind my back and call me Yulia Tymoshenko. That's... sad.

Sunshineliz
June 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
You're lucky, girls, that you can wear this hairstyle. I think, that it's very pretty style, but if I make it one day it, people will giggle behind my back and call me Yulia Tymoshenko. That's... sad.

Would that be a bad thing where you live? Some of us just don't care as long as it looks well-done.

Olga-Freya
June 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Would that be a bad thing where you live? Some of us just don't care as long as it looks well-done.
So, this woman has earned itself a bad name in our and in their countries and this hairstyle is strongly associated with her.
But maybe someday I'll join to any hairstyles challenge and will try it :rolleyes:

milagro
June 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Some probably will but it may happen with lots of other hair styles as well. Olga I'm in Russia as well :waving: and i wear crown braids often and haven't got but compliments on how rare and womanly it looks.

Olga-Freya
June 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Some probably will but it may happen with lots of other hair styles as well. Olga I'm in Russia as well :waving: and i wear crown braids often and haven't got but compliments on how rare and womanly it looks.
Привет Х) Yep, anyway people often stare at my hair when it's in styles that show its lenght. I think that crown braids with your length looks really beautyfull and womanly, even much more better then with longer hair like I have. And less reminds about Timoshenko :wink:

milagro
June 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Привет Х) Yep, anyway people often stare at my hair when it's in styles that show its lenght. I think that crown braids with your length looks really beautyfull and womanly, even much more better then with longer hair like I have. And less reminds about Timoshenko :wink:

No wonder, I would stare at your hair, too! I'm envious, with your length you actually have more options, you may do Masara's crown braid - looks regal and not at all Timoshenko-like if you mind it :D
And the version with the bun shown in the previous page, is just lovely.

Arya
June 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I tried out that Yulia Tymoshenko version on DD10 and it was cute!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=104840

Thanks Arya for making up the instructions, and lunnafindel for pointing out her thread!

Yay! looks great! You're very welcome. I'm happy there's a way for shorter haired gals to try this style. ^_____^

Olga-Freya - So, this woman has earned itself a bad name in our and in their countries and this hairstyle is strongly associated with her.
But maybe someday I'll join to any hairstyles challenge and will try it

Reclaim the 'do!

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Wow, what beautiful crown braids :thud:

I am not a Heidi braids fan, but I've been working on my crown braid. Hopefully I will master it soon!

ReadHeadGirl
June 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Sunday is mostly my day for Heidi braids,but when I go out the hairstyle is covered by either
a regular prayer bonnet like this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dJ3uC2q7BH0/TC5DdBO5eyI/AAAAAAAAABA/sLKdhw1b86Q/s320/amish+kapp.jpg

or for colder weather mom bought me this type of covering,which is actually Amish.

http://www.quakerjane.com/images/plain_dress/lancasterbonnet5a.jpg

http://carolescountry.com/CS_CountryStore/CCS_2008_ItemsForSale/CCS_IFSP_Items08/FS0319N2-01.jpg

Olga-Freya
June 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
No wonder, I would stare at your hair, too! I'm envious, with your length you actually have more options, you may do Masara's crown braid - looks regal and not at all Timoshenko-like if you mind it :D
And the version with the bun shown in the previous page, is just lovely.
:) For some reason (?) I can't see the picture of the version with the bun, but it's good idea...
Yesterday I found this version of the 5 strands flat crown braid http://hairfriendlystyles.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/day-94-5-strands-flat-braids/
It's one of the most beautiful hairstyles I ever seen! I'm already trying to make it, but only at home. Looks awesome!

Asequui
June 23rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
Quite often, actually.
I have to admit that I started wearing them after seeing how pretty it looked on Beth Riesgraf as Parker in an episode of TNT's Leverage as seen here (http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10000000/Parker-The-Runway-Job-2-10-parker-10039847-1280-720.jpg).

Right now my hair is short enough (and layered) that I have to start the braids above my ears to get them to lay right when I wrap them around my head. I can't wait till it's long enough to do some of the lovely variations I've seen in this thread.

I'll have to try rope braids and see how that looks. I've used herringbone braids and that was cute.

I've also got some cute jeweled spin pins that I like to add to mine sometimes.

I think it's a really cute style to do when it's hot and muggy or you just need your hair off your neck and face.

kouran
June 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Not as often as I wanted...I think Heidi braids are pretty, confortable and easy to do, but hard to secure...I use the Magic-Grip hairpins by Good Hair Days, but those are to noticeable and I would rather not wear bobby pins, since they cause breakage.

There is a trick for getting it stay up like a crown that I use sometimes that I learned. I will try and post the instructions up on the twenty first. :)

I'm looking forward to know that trick!:)

Henrietta
June 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Crown braid is my favourite style... Sometimes I have a bad day and I cannot braid my hair properly, but then I can make Heidi braids :)

discoisntdead
July 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Gah! I love it! It's beautiful! I also love the deep red shine of your hair, so pretty :)

ravenreed
July 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Can you braid a scarf or ribbon in, or add flowers? Something to make it look less like hers and more yours alone? Seems a shame to give up on such a grand, lovely style because of one person. :)

IndigoAsh
July 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I actually wear these almost every day! I'm wearing my braids down at the moment, but usually when we're out they're up.

constantki
July 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I love this hairstyle! I don't wear it very often even though I find it to be very comfy. I usually just wear my hair in a braid.

ElusiveMuse
July 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Are Heidi braids the same as maiden braids?

Madora
July 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I'd say somewhat. Same principle..hair braided and pinned on top of head.

Heidi braids are also called double coronet braids or "milkmaid braids" or hair crown braids (but not in the sense of a French crown braid technique).

meteor
March 15th, 2015, 07:46 PM
* Bumping this thread... * :)

I would like to learn the trick to the upstanding version.

I'm looking forward to know that trick!:)

Does anybody know how to make the coronet braid (or heidi/milkmaid braids) sort of stand up like a diadem? :flower:

StellaKatherine
March 15th, 2015, 08:47 PM
* Bumping this thread... * :)
Does anybody know how to make the coronet braid (or heidi/milkmaid braids) sort of stand up like a diadem? :flower:

I could make it stand up only with the paranda inside. I think the thickness is very important and the braid should be braided tight. You just turn your braid on the it's side and pin it. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13079&d=1410892700

meteor
March 15th, 2015, 08:57 PM
^Thank you so very much! :flowers: Looks so awesome, StellaKatherine! :applause

Mine kind of likes to lie down on its broadest and flattest side, but I've never tried turning it up - it kind of felt like it wouldn't stand but would just fall over. Hmm, I need to try paranda and better pinning! :) Thanks a bunch! :flower:

Remi
March 16th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Around here in my community, they are known as Heidi braids. I used to wear them often, but not so much anymore.

MINAKO
March 16th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I have worn this in my late teens alot and loved it a bit untidy looking with leather jackets and dark lipstick. Nothing conservative about it unless you want to.
Its been a while and i will probably find my way back to this style in the summer. I wouldnt mind to make it a bit more romantic and traditional looking. If anyone got a problem with that i will make sure to let them know where to stick up their opinion.

StellaKatherine
March 16th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I can't wait to be able to finally wear my hair as a crown braid... My damn big head........ My ends do touch the begining allready, but taper is just too big :( So close but so far away ...

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I have worn this in my late teens alot and loved it a bit untidy looking with leather jackets and dark lipstick. Nothing conservative about it unless you want to.
Its been a while and i will probably find my way back to this style in the summer. I wouldnt mind to make it a bit more romantic and traditional looking. If anyone got a problem with that i will make sure to let them know where to stick up their opinion.

I love your attitude! :applause

I must say I love how this style walks that fine line between being overly traditional/conservative/fairy-tale-ish and actually quite modern, unusual and trendy. It's a cool style.

I can't wait to be able to finally wear my hair as a crown braid... My damn big head........ My ends do touch the begining allready, but taper is just too big :( So close but so far away ...

Have you tried it a-la Ginger Rogers (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/SurprisingWoman/top-hat-rogers.png), from a rope-braid? A rope-braid is usually longer than a standard English braid (the more strands you use for braiding the more length is "eaten up" by the weaving process). :)

Calypso
March 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I wish I could do this! I always get weird bulges above my ears, the braids look fat and odd, the tassels don't tuck under, and they don't seem to want to stay up no matter how many pins I use. It doesn't help that I'm really bad with pins so I end up with a weird shaped hairstyle with pins and hair sticking out everywhere. :(

Shibe
March 16th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I would probably wear it every day if I could do them! I'm still mastering the basic english braid, myself :grin:

CoveredByLove
March 16th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I wore my hair like this a couple years ago. I had never received so many compliments on my hair in one day. I was quite surprised, since I was nervous about wearing it in that way for the first time. I did it with the traditional two braids wrapped over my head and a middle part. I'm not fond of middle parts on myself, so I might give some of the ideas on this thread a try soon. :) Inspiring, beautiful Heidi braids on here! :D

CoveredByLove
March 16th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this woman has been mentioned yet. Meet Joyce Carpati. Stylish Heidi braids at any age. :cool:

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/mamabshire/Joyce%203_zps02zadtx0.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/mamabshire/Joyce%202_zpsoisxlfsy.jpg

Shibe
March 16th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Oh wow. I hope to be that fashionable when I am her age! She looks stunning!!

how long does hair have to be for Heidi braids? I am at waist, which is 28 inches on me.

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Wow, that woman is amazing! :thud: Thanks so much for the inspirational eye-candy, CoveredByLove! :applause

how long does hair have to be for Heidi braids? I am at waist, which is 28 inches on me.

You can already do it! :thumbsup: I think even hair shorter than APL can be put up in heidi braids (just going from behind the ears *up*). But your hair can probably go around the whole head: from behind each ear down and then up! It looks amazing from 2 braids! And even more balanced than with just 1 braid.

For a full coronet, we usually need around Classic or Classic + but even a bit shorter might work, depending on how tight the circlet is. ;)

Shibe
March 16th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I'll have to give it a try- my hair is longer but thin with FTE. I'll post my success or lack there of when I try it!

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Yay! Awesome, Shibe! :applause Best of luck with the style! :flowers: And don't be afraid to troubleshoot on the LHC if you have any problems.

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM
While we are on the topic of crown braids at any age, I wanted to throw in a few more inspirational pictures of crown braids on a prominent woman...
Felisa Rincón de Gautier:
http://autografo.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ZeUMH27Ea1lPA8AchWJ_GBtyG7wWWsD-Qx0bdS4MtNQ-600x500.jpg
http://www.museofelisarincon.com/photos/image7_lg.jpg
http://www.prfrogui.com/geocities/images/felizza.jpg
http://autografo.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/feliza-rincon-960x600.jpeg

sapphire-o
March 17th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I've never worn this. I generally don't do braids. My hair starts out very thick and thin out very quickly, so my braids don't look very good. Plus it's so slippery and heavy it would fall down easily. I think they look very nice on hairs with more frictions.

Oh ya I forgot I once had a fake braid headband (in my hair color) that I wore sometimes. I wouldn't mind doing that again. :D Those fake hair have so much friction and so little weight, they never slip down. I think some of those "famous braids" are fake hairs for sure. Or maybe real hair extensions, bought from poor peasant girls. :)

Upside Down
March 17th, 2015, 04:01 AM
I have just discovered partless crown braid (french braided, I am only midback somewhere), and I love it with the tail braid hanging down more than all up.
Heidi braids are cool too, it is easy to leave bangs/layers out. I wear it messy/romantic.

picklepie
March 17th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I've discovered Torrin's "practical hair taping" method works really well for me, just held with spin pins. The Dutch braids give it a good base to attach to, much better than my previous methods, which involved copious uncomfortable Amish pins that always showed or fell out.
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/queenielord/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssgflxqrz.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/queenielord/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssgflxqrz.jpg.html)

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Adding one of my favorite celebs for inspiration. Always been in love with Fan Bingbings style choices.
http://lamutamu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cannes-Film-Festival-20117-e1305573950634.jpg

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM
^ Picklepie, it looks phenomenal! :thudpile:

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Adding one of my favorite celebs for inspiration. Always been in love with Fan Bingbings style choices.
http://lamutamu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cannes-Film-Festival-20117-e1305573950634.jpg

Yay, how insanely gorgeous! :crush: :heartbeat

picklepie
March 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Thanks, meteor! I was pretty pleased. My usual these days is Heidi braids done by strapping two English braids over the top of my head with two little jaw clips. It's very secure, reasonably cute (maybe?), and so easy.
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/queenielord/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbsq1hlct.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/queenielord/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbsq1hlct.jpg.html)

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM
^ So awesome! :applause So just 2 jaw-clips are enough to secure the style for you? Any tricks for placing those jaw-clips with maximum grip? Mine slide off so easily - braids slide backward or forward taking the jaws with them.

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Lovely picklepie! I actually like it better when the braid doesnt stand up so much. Im usually not super crazy about learning updos but i have to admit that since we revived this thread i am wondering if i could do a single coronet braid by now and kind of regret i did not really practice my braiding skills alot. This is different, because i sometimes miss the blunt bangs and fake ones would be sooo easy to hide with the braid on top. Would also look gorgeous with 3 or more braids of various sizes. I like the french braid version and can also imagine wide cornrows with added kiss curls, to give it a chola kind of twist. When i previously had long hair before my big chop i was between waist and hip, always did the pigtails and more of an idgaf version. But now i feel challenged to try something more elegant or complicated.
This is a bit extreme but i totally love it and would just flip the braids over top. http://fashioncow.com/2013/08/anais-pouliot-stevie-mada-flaunt-magazine-fall-2013/

mamaherrera
March 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM
I like it but I can never get teh braids to stay. I usually try bobby pins and just nope. . .no luck for me.

StellaKatherine
March 17th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I wish there were more of a thinner braided inspiration photos... Most that I see are twice as big as my braid..... Heh... little discouraring it to be honest...

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM
^ StellaKatherine, come on, your hair is thick! I think a lot of those extreme braids are either with fake hair (like Heidi Klum's awesome style (http://www.curlscare.com/images/06/heidi-klum-big-braided-bun-hairstyle.jpg) or Amanda Seyfried's (http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.becomegorgeous.com/static.becomegorgeous.com/gallery/pictures/amanda-seyfried-high-braid-updo-hairstyle-becomegorgeous.jpg) or Alicia Keys' incredible crown-fauxhawk (http://troyclintonstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Alicia-Keys-Braid-triptic.jpg)) or with braids fluffed out a lot.

Here are some inspirations with less bulk! They look more romantic, modern and boho-chic, too! :crush: Thinner or thicker, this style is awesome! :applause
Sienna Miller - http://www.fashiondivadesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Braid-crown_3.jpg
Jennifer Lopez - http://bestmakeupreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Jennifer-Lopez-101.jpg
Mary Kate Olsen - http://modernkiddo.com/images/braids_famous.png
Scarlet Johansson - http://cdn.glamcheck.com/fashion/files/2012/04/Milkmaid-Braid-Scarlett-Johansson.jpg
Jennifer Lawrence - http://www.prettydesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Jennifer-Lawrence-Crown-Braid-with-Side-Part.jpg

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 01:01 PM
I wish there were more of a thinner braided inspiration photos... Most that I see are twice as big as my braid..... Heh... little discouraring it to be honest...

There you go http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r882OSG41qg56auo3_1280.jpg ;)
If you are easily discouraged, DO NOT look at traditional korean braided styles (with tons of fake hair added). Or just convince yourself that this is really pretty and wearable at any thickness. :O

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 01:06 PM
MINAKO, I totally agree about the braiding skills! I feel like the earlier one starts braiding (with shorter hair), the better skills one develops by the time hair is long and barely manageable... so I feel like I've missed the boat.
I'm in absolute awe at many LHC-ers' mad braiding skills! :thud: They can do so many unique combination styles! :applause
I'm sad I can only English-braid, but even English braids be of some help, too.

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 01:07 PM
^ StellaKatherine, come on, your hair is thick! I think a lot of those extreme braids are either with fake hair (like Heidi Klum's awesome style (http://www.curlscare.com/images/06/heidi-klum-big-braided-bun-hairstyle.jpg) or Amanda Seyfried's (http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.becomegorgeous.com/static.becomegorgeous.com/gallery/pictures/amanda-seyfried-high-braid-updo-hairstyle-becomegorgeous.jpg) or Alicia Keys' incredible crown-fauxhawk (http://troyclintonstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Alicia-Keys-Braid-triptic.jpg)) or with braids fluffed out a lot.

Oh wow, i really like Alicia Keys version. I wonder why Heidi went for fake and cheap looking plastic shiny hair tho, as if she couldnt affort some A+ human hair extensions, lol.
Amandas style is prety realistic, I think many of us could do this with two braids.

ETA: meteor, to be honest i envy some of the braded styles i see, but practising on myself is something i always like to avoid because im afraid to damage my hair with al that manipulation. Onc in a while is alright, but especially when it comes to finer and more delicate braids im not willing to put up with a tangle here and a tangle there when undoing them. Same with a fishtail, m absolte nightmare when it comes to taking it down. I would never wear one because of that. So a normal english braid wrapped up is tolerable because its closest to the maximum protection i get out of a neat bun.

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 01:21 PM
^ I know what you mean about mini-accent-braids: they always take forever to do and then... the tangles! the dryness! :mad:

MINAKO, I tried a fishtail braid ... *drumroll*.... ONCE :lol: I was at BSL, I think. I actually succeeded (the technique is super-easy), but my arms were in pain and it took ages to build it and at the bottom it looked just like an English braid anyway :lol: (that's what happens unless you take minuscule sections). The tangles after take-down were crazy. Not doing that again! :lol:

But yeah, a normal English braid in a coronet is very tolerable, because you use always the same 3 strands - there is no sectioning and extreme manipulation.

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 01:32 PM
^ I know what you mean about mini-accent-braids: they always take forever to do and then... the tangles! the dryness! :mad:

MINAKO, I tried a fishtail braid ... *drumroll*.... ONCE :lol: I was at BSL, I think. I actually succeeded (the technique is super-easy), but my arms were in pain and it took ages to build it and at the bottom it looked just like an English braid anyway :lol: (that's what happens unless you take minuscule sections). The tangles after take-down were crazy. Not doing that again! :lol:

But yeah, a normal English braid in a coronet is very tolerable, because you use always the same 3 strands - there is no sectioning and extreme manipulation.

Yeah, i can imagine the extra work it took after the fishtail. I once had box braids in summer when i was little. I liked them but taking them out was pretty traumatizing.
I think im trying the kiss curls to add some detail to the coronet.

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I found a very crappy mirror selfie on an old phone (please dont judge the quality, lol). this was pre chop, maybe five or six years ago. Its obviously rope braids and looks neater than i remember wearing it, but that might have been just that particular day. I think i just used silicone elastics and a few bobby pinsback then, i would certainly skip the elastics these days. Dampening hair before styling and then using some spin pins should keep the situation in place for me.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg4_zps8kugf1o5.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg4_zps8kugf1o5.jpg.html)

StellaKatherine
March 17th, 2015, 02:42 PM
There you go http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r882OSG41qg56auo3_1280.jpg ;)
If you are easily discouraged, DO NOT look at traditional korean braided styles (with tons of fake hair added). Or just convince yourself that this is really pretty and wearable at any thickness. :O
Ohh, I love that one you posted! So elegant looking :crush:

I am actually working on a desing of ribbons with attached flowers for 1. thickning the braids + adding romantic touches for summer :D So far looks good, just need to see how the end result actually works in reality hehe

StellaKatherine
March 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I found a very crappy mirror selfie on an old phone (please dont judge the quality, lol). this was pre chop, maybe five or six years ago. Its obviously rope braids and looks neater than i remember wearing it, but that might have been just that particular day. I think i just used silicone elastics and a few bobby pinsback then, i would certainly skip the elastics these days. Dampening hair before styling and then using some spin pins should keep the situation in place for me.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg4_zps8kugf1o5.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg4_zps8kugf1o5.jpg.html)

You are so pretty! :flowers:

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Ohh, I love that one you posted! So elegant looking :crush:

I am actually working on a desing of ribbons with attached flowers for 1. thickning the braids + adding romantic touches for summer :D So far looks good, just need to see how the end result actually works in reality hehe

I bet it will look even better on your hair since the lighter color and variations shows up the style better than on very dark hair ;)
We shall all find our 2015 version of this. Happy braiding!

ETA: Thank you! :flower:

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Oh, MINAKO, it looks so amazing! :thud: Seriously glorious coronet rope braids! :crush:

MINAKO
March 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thank you meteor! :blossom: I will see how that goes with a bit more hair now. If this becomes a hairstyle of the month im absolutely in for it, but otherwise probably be back here soon with another try.

Beborani
March 17th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Thank you girls/ladies for posting your own and some inspiration pictures of older women. All of you look so lovely. I never thought of this braid as something to be worn outside of bathroom (what my mom did when I was a girl to keep it out of the way)! Minako your rope braid idea is great and works well with my hairline and hairtype and I managed to make quick coronet braid that looks good and suits my head/face shape. Thank you! Will try to wear it out one of these weekends.

endlessly
March 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I haven't worn it that specific way - straight part down the back with two braids - but I have worn an alternative way where I french braid my hair, then wrap around and pin it. It looks very intricate and people always asked me if I did it myself. This was also back when my hair was past classic.

Now, my hair is just an inch or so past tailbone after a desperately needed trim and unfortunately, one braid isn't long enough to wrap entirely around my head. While I like the idea of this particular hairstyle, I just don't care for the parting down the back. The texture of my hair is a little unusual in the back - kinky, curly, straight - and the tightly coiled kinky strands pop out when I try to part.

Arctic
March 17th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I haven't worn it that specific way - straight part down the back with two braids - but I have worn an alternative way where I french braid my hair, then wrap around and pin it. It looks very intricate and people always asked me if I did it myself. This was also back when my hair was past classic.

Now, my hair is just an inch or so past tailbone after a desperately needed trim and unfortunately, one braid isn't long enough to wrap entirely around my head. While I like the idea of this particular hairstyle, I just don't care for the parting down the back. The texture of my hair is a little unusual in the back - kinky, curly, straight - and the tightly coiled kinky strands pop out when I try to part.

You can do the 2 braid version without the part at the back. Make the plaits as normal, allowing the scalp hair to remain a bit loose. Instead of wrapping left braid to the left side of the head and so on, cross the braids with eachother at the nape, and pin left braid to the right side of your head and so on. The slightly loose scalp hair with the crossing action hides the part.

picklepie
March 18th, 2015, 12:01 AM
^ So awesome! :applause So just 2 jaw-clips are enough to secure the style for you? Any tricks for placing those jaw-clips with maximum grip? Mine slide off so easily - braids slide backward or forward taking the jaws with them.

Maybe it helps that I grab the hair at my hairline with the open jaw clip, and kind of gently drag it back toward the braid, which I hold against my head with my hand, and then grab in the clip as well. I clip front-hair+this braid on each side, getting it all nice and snug, then open each clip in turn, and tuck in the end of the opposite braid, the tail of which gets tucked under everything. So the clips are really at capacity. Does that make sense?

ladyfey
March 18th, 2015, 06:00 AM
You can do the 2 braid version without the part at the back. Make the plaits as normal, allowing the scalp hair to remain a bit loose. Instead of wrapping left braid to the left side of the head and so on, cross the braids with eachother at the nape, and pin left braid to the right side of your head and so on. The slightly loose scalp hair with the crossing action hides the part.

I do it like this, and can second that it leaves no visible part in back.

Anje
March 18th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Hey, I can do a coronet now!

(This has been a long-time goal for me that I completely forgot about.) I've been sort of startled since the beginning of winter that my hair is "suddenly" really long. I mean, I cut it up to top-of-BCL length the previous winter and sort of ignored it all year, and suddenly it's in the palms of my hands when I wear it loose.

So anyway, I kinda discovered that last night and now I'm wearing it. And my head is lopsided and I don't care because my braid wraps all the way around in that stable place in front of the "lumps" at the back of the head! Yay!

Now to keep growing so the weight will maybe balance out better....

meteor
March 18th, 2015, 02:13 PM
^ Anje, that's awesome news! :joy:
Such a great milestone! :applause

picklepie, thank you so very much for the tips on jaw-clips! :D Very useful!

Lady Katherine
March 18th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I know what I'm gonna do with my hair tomorrow! I'll be back with pictures soon!

Lady Katherine
March 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM
I have pictures! They aren't the best, but here you go!
http://s12.postimg.org/x37g9r7zx/IMG_1605.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image host (http://postimage.org/)
http://s24.postimg.org/ayht6bcvl/IMG_1631.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ayht6bcvl/)

MINAKO
March 19th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Super gorgeous Lady Katherine! I love how it looks feminine and not too perfect. Reminds me of Dominique Swain in Lolita, especially with that cute Panda Shirt.
I wish my fingers were be a bit more cooperative and would let me braid like.

meteor
March 19th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Oh it's amazing, Lady Katherine! :thudpile: The excellent braiding style, the super-gorgeous red hair...! Wow! :applause

Lady Katherine
March 19th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks MINACO and meteor! :)

Lolino
March 20th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Lady Katherine I LOVE your hair colour, and the braid looks great on you! ..and I want to steal your shirt. So cute!

I'm also waiting happily for the time when my hair gets long enough to wrap just one braid around my head.
But for now it's Heidi braids, and I wear them quite often; it's comfortable, out of the way, and it just works for my face and with my bangs, so it's a win-win situation! I am also considering mixing them up by braiding ribbons in it for some extra colour next time.

meteor
March 21st, 2015, 09:26 PM
I just found a very elegant style that sort of looks like it was inspired by the coronet braid and/or pinless (Jamie Leigh) bun or something. I thought I'd share:
Swirling Braids Updo - http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2013/12/holiday-hairstyles-swirling-braids-updo.html
Now, if only I could figure out how to simplify the top right accent-braided section with simple English braid(s) somehow... :hmm:

Five of Five
March 21st, 2015, 11:43 PM
Joining the thudpile... :thudpile:

I have pictures! They aren't the best, but here you go!

StellaKatherine
March 27th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I am wearing a crown braid!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, it is a robe braid, but still I finally have it without a paranda or anything else! It stays very well, doesn't seem to be falling on the thicker side eather. I love how it looks on the right side ( where the braid starts ) and it look good at the front, but then it does dramaticly tapers on the left :( That is the sad thing. But hopefully with time the thickness will go down the lenght too!

Ps. I almost killed my husband when he called me " A La Tymoshenko "... Grrrrrrrr.... I hate to be compared , I hate it so much :)

Linguaphilia
March 27th, 2015, 04:35 AM
My avatar shows the Madora, a french braid split in two braids at the nape and wrapped around my head. I wear a coronet most often though, about once a week, an English braid wrapped around the head. I love this style, how the braid frames my face, like a crown.

meteor
March 27th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I am wearing a crown braid!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, it is a robe braid, but still I finally have it without a paranda or anything else! It stays very well, doesn't seem to be falling on the thicker side eather. I love how it looks on the right side ( where the braid starts ) and it look good at the front, but then it does dramaticly tapers on the left :( That is the sad thing. But hopefully with time the thickness will go down the lenght too!

Ps. I almost killed my husband when he called me " A La Tymoshenko "... Grrrrrrrr.... I hate to be compared , I hate it so much :)

Yay! So happy for you, StellaKatherine! :joy: I think being able to wrap a braid around head is such a cool milestone to reach! :D

(And I wouldn't worry about the taper too much: thickness tends to travel down after a while anyway.)

My avatar shows the Madora, a french braid split in two braids at the nape and wrapped around my head. I wear a coronet most often though, about once a week, an English braid wrapped around the head. I love this style, how the braid frames my face, like a crown.

Oh yes, your avatar is AMAZING, Linguaphilia! :thud: "The Madora" is one of my all-time favorite hairstyles.

(Here's a video by Torrinpaige showing how to do it, if anybody wants to see how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvWpHufrANk)

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I will put in my faux crown braid to bump this thread to front page, although it doesn't really qualify.
I already posted it in the kinky 4's thread, apologies to those who saw it already. I love the crown or heidi braid hairstyle, and love that I can do an imitation at a (much) shorter length.

Oh, the amazingness of the real ones.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/20150328_154626_zpspqjlwuti.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/20150328_154626_zpspqjlwuti.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/20150328_155022_zpsthfz2dmz.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/20150328_155022_zpsthfz2dmz.jpg.html)

Zesty
March 30th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't say I wear Heidi braids often, but I like them and am resolving to wear this hairstyle more. It's one of the few braided styles I can do (and be satisfied with) at this length.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/Paisley_Love/heidi%20braids%20almost%20bsl_zpsck3mtanr.jpg

When my hair was longer I loved wearing the Madora. I always got asked if I did it myself, and I loved the way it turned out. I'm hoping that someday I can do a coronet!

Five of Five
March 30th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Beautiful Chen Bao Jun! It loos very soft and romantic on you!

I will put in my faux crown braid to bump this thread to front page, although it doesn't really qualify.
I already posted it in the kinky 4's thread, apologies to those who saw it already. I love the crown or heidi braid hairstyle, and love that I can do an imitation at a (much) shorter length.

Oh, the amazingness of the real ones.

Lovely, Zesty! I think you look very regal with this style.

I too cannot wait until my hair is long enough for the Madora and the coronet!

I wouldn't say I wear Heidi braids often, but I like them and am resolving to wear this hairstyle more. It's one of the few braided styles I can do (and be satisfied with) at this length.

When my hair was longer I loved wearing the Madora. I always got asked if I did it myself, and I loved the way it turned out. I'm hoping that someday I can do a coronet!

ghost
March 31st, 2015, 12:11 AM
I never wear them, they look so weird and stark on me :/

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks 5of5.
Zesty, your Heidi braids look great.
I might try Heidi braids, I haven't in a while. I could do that at my length., I forgot that.

ashke50
April 11th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I love heidi braids and coronet braids. I've not managed a successful crown braid yet, but coronet braids is my favourite holiday hairstyle, and I used to do heidi braids for holidays when my hair was shorter. Something about having my hair plaited across my head just seems appropriate for holidays, and of course now I associate them with that, so it is self-fulfilling. I wouldn't say I only wear them on holiday, but I certainly wear them a good deal more on days off than at work.

Here are some recent coronet braids from weekends/Easter.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16750&d=1428772680 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16750)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16749&d=1428772679 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16749)

Coronet braid with pink and purple beaded parandi
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16754&d=1428772688 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16754)

And three clickable pictures of me on honeymoon in Rome nearly three years ago, where I wore heidi braids almost every day.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16758&thumb=1&d=1428783205 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16760) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16759&thumb=1&d=1428783206 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16759)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16760&thumb=1&d=1428783208 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16760)

yahirwaO.o
April 11th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I love heidi braids and coronet braids. I've not managed a successful crown braid yet, but coronet braids is my favourite holiday hairstyle, and I used to do heidi braids for holidays when my hair was shorter. Something about having my hair plaited across my head just seems appropriate for holidays, and of course now I associate them with that, so it is self-fulfilling. I wouldn't say I only wear them on holiday, but I certainly wear them a good deal more on days off than at work.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16750&d=1428772680 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16750)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16749&d=1428772679 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16749)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16754&d=1428772688 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16754)

And three clickable pictures of me on honeymoon in Rome nearly three years ago, where I wore heidi braids almost every day.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16758&thumb=1&d=1428783205 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16760) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16759&thumb=1&d=1428783206 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16759)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16760&thumb=1&d=1428783208 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11787&attachmentid=16760)

You go girl, it suits you so well and nice pretty smile!!!!

Five of Five
April 11th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Beautiful coronet braids, Ashke50. And wow, your eyes and smile are magnetic!

I love the idea of the beaded parandi - it looks so fairy-like.

Llama
April 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM
This hairstyle looks SO cute from the front, but I hate how it looks from the back and sides on me. I still wear it sometimes though and focus on how it looks from the front haha.

MINAKO
April 13th, 2015, 02:37 AM
This hairstyle looks SO cute from the front, but I hate how it looks from the back and sides on me. I still wear it sometimes though and focus on how it looks from the front haha.

Just dont use the second mirror to look at yourself from the back. Problem solved, sometimes it can be as easy as that, lol. Im totally ignorant towards my buns sometimes as long as the front hair looks neat enough. :D